[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

NeNiMel

I Have 650 crit rating and have all other stats in alacrity and surge, what would you say to that ?

Surge 73%)

37% Crit

rest into alacrity ..

I doubt taking 250-350 crit rating and putting it into power would make any noticeable difference.

I would never go that high on my critical rating, but that is mostly because of personal preferences in my playstyle.

The math shows that the critical rating I quiet flexible, so too much or too little critical rating will not change the total output very much. See Orderkens calculations!

I prefer to run with a little less critical than the ideal amount. The reason for this is as stated earlier that, I prefer constant higher heals over more frequent critical heals.

Regarding surge and alacrity, I like to stack these in equal amounts, so I use five gear pieces with surge and five pieces with alacrity. When a new gear tier arrives, I will properly change one of the surge pieces with a alacrity piece.

Edited by NeNiMel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Have 650 crit rating and have all other stats in alacrity and surge, what would you say to that ?

Surge 73%)

37% Crit

rest into alacrity ..

I doubt taking 250-350 crit rating and putting it into power would make any noticeable difference.

I agree with everything that NeNiMel wrote in reply.

With 5 Surge Enhancements, having 650 Critical reduces expected output by about 0.23% relative to 420 Critical. Though this reduction is negligible, consistency is helpful when healing. There isn't a sound reason for a healer to exceed the amount of Critical that is mathematically ideal.

Edited by Orderken

There are only 2 optimal trees for merc healing none of which is given above. for PVP I would say different then what I'm putting below but for optimal healing as a merc:

39/7/0 will give you the best. I'm sure you will figure out way. Alacrity for a merc healer is a waste you are sacrificing bonus healings and adding alacrity and % of alacrity for a quicker timer? when instead you can just crit/overall heal better then what small amounts of.01 seconds you take off what? healing scan? Kolto is instant..... as is emergency....

just don't do that pve build its ****** and you will need cleanses in most raids in some form or another sometimes yeah you can live without and live through but most things one boss here or there has something you can cleanse....

also just don't do alacrity unless you have to period.... you want to argue I'm on bastion server Pfomo is my merc on most days and been a merc healer since beta and will always be. I'll blow any other merc healer out of the water with my build verses this one hands down.

There are only 2 optimal trees for merc healing none of which is given above. for PVP I would say different then what I'm putting below but for optimal healing as a merc:

39/7/0 will give you the best. I'm sure you will figure out way. Alacrity for a merc healer is a waste you are sacrificing bonus healings and adding alacrity and % of alacrity for a quicker timer? when instead you can just crit/overall heal better then what small amounts of.01 seconds you take off what? healing scan? Kolto is instant..... as is emergency....

just don't do that pve build its ****** and you will need cleanses in most raids in some form or another sometimes yeah you can live without and live through but most things one boss here or there has something you can cleanse....

also just don't do alacrity unless you have to period.... you want to argue I'm on bastion server Pfomo is my merc on most days and been a merc healer since beta and will always be. I'll blow any other merc healer out of the water with my build verses this one hands down.

I’m not quite sure how the spec you refer to will look like. But personally I would never spec into Power Shield and Protective Field for PvE content, those two skills are only useful in PvP. Powered Insulators should not be needed if you position yourself correctly, because then you won’t take any damage in the first place. Using point in Cure Mind would just be a waste, because there are no mental debuffs in any endgame content at the moment, so this point is better used elsewhere.

Regarding alacrity I have to disagree with you! Alacrity is extremely useful, because it not only reduces cast time, but also the global cooldown, which means that you can throw out more heals during a fight. Alacrity will also increase the heat dissipation rate, so it becomes easier for you to control your heat management.

It is true that Surge rating is more valuable than Alacrity, so long that the total surge rating does not exceed 500, because of the diminishing return. So if you put your entire alacrity/surge budget into surge then the last ~470 point would have been better used in alacrity in my opinion.

Using point in Cure Mind would just be a waste, because there are no mental debuffs in any endgame content at the moment, so this point is better used elsewhere.

There's another benefit of Cure Mind|Psych Aid worth noting: Cure|Field Aid provides a small heal. For HM Nefra, at least, this benefit should make it worthwhile.

I salute you for replying to Pfomo. Every point that he made is not only incorrect but also absurd, and there's not a single combat log for a "Pfomo" on TORParse, so I assume that his post is a spoof.

Edited by Orderken

I salute you for replying to Pfomo. Every point that he made is not only incorrect but also absurd, and there's not a single combat log for a "Pfomo" on TORParse, so I assume that his post is a spoof.

I love how he appeared out of nowhere a few days ago and already nominated himself for class rep, even better everything he says reeks of BS :p

Thanks for the work on this guide, I'm using the gear section right now:D

Mostly because I figured out most skills by trying them out(and getting ppl killed in the process :rolleyes:)

But this guide can been a real advantage to people new to Merc healing.

I love how he appeared out of nowhere a few days ago and already nominated himself for class rep, even better everything he says reeks of BS :p

You want to bet ;) here I'll break it down for you pve builds that I highly doubt can keep up with other healers or even my merc healer with those other builds. Any merc healer building a lot of alacrity anything I'd say above 200 unless you have to I promise you I'll out heal you by atleast 100k come to bastion server and I'll destroy your in a parsec ;) hows that for a statement....

Second pve a build do this and then compare to your old build and tell me I'm wrong:

Bodyguard:

Get your first 2 full rows,

in your 3rd step row get everything but power shield. not necessary for pve maybe pvp.,

in your 4th step row get everything but, protective shield why because if your dying as the healer.... you got more problems then that can save you with.

In in 5th step row get everything you will need cleanse in a lot of fights this unless you want to keep switching constantly then go ahead I can see that.

In row 6 and above get everything they are all usefull parsec will prove this

In arsenal get mandalorian and ironsights in row 1

in row 2 get upgraded arsenal this will help in certain areas.

So before you quote a class you clearly suck at Mr thinks I'm b.s come to my server and let me out heal you in any raid of your choosing with parsec ;) I'll blow you out of the water and I keep minimium alacrity as well so prove to me

how your small amounts of quicker heals literally less then a second will out crit/out pars my over all heals with what power can do better and crit ;)

Any merc healer going for pyro is wasting time and will never parse higher then even a merc that went full fledged bodyguard its just that simple.

Edited by Pfomo

There's another benefit of Cure Mind|Psych Aid worth noting: Cure|Field Aid provides a small heal. For HM Nefra, at least, this benefit should make it worthwhile.

I salute you for replying to Pfomo. Every point that he made is not only incorrect but also absurd, and there's not a single combat log for a "Pfomo" on TORParse, so I assume that his post is a spoof.[/quote

here just for you I'll figure out how to upload a file for your public eyes. Try my build go to a raid see for yourself if you don't believe my build then you don't or B. come to bastion and you'll see I'll manage my heat and out heal better then your build ;) If you don't believe me then test my theory after all its just a theory till you prove it right?

You want to bet ;) here I'll break it down for you pve builds that I highly doubt can keep up with other healers or even my merc healer with those other builds. Any merc healer building a lot of alacrity anything I'd say above 200 unless you have to I promise you I'll out heal you by atleast 100k come to bastion server and I'll destroy your in a parsec ;) hows that for a statement....

You are all talk no action, and I'm sure as hell not gona reroll on another server for someone who so obviously don't know anything about this game.

I wonder if you are such an amazing healer why do you want owerpowered changes like this?

Kolto Missile by my parsec experience is used any where between 50%-60% of the overall skills used to heal in a PVE situation. I'd like this very heavily use ability to be more in line with the other healing AOE classes. It's fine as it stands but would be nice if the ability when shot out healed everyone in the vacinity of its target area verses just 4 individuals. The tick healing residue is awesome and shouldn't be changed bc it heals any one within it be nice if it ticked a few more times to be more in line with Sorc but its good as is.

Its over power to maybe offer the idea to allow the heal to tick on every one in the area rather then just 4 people? and then do the same affect it already does at the moment after that original tick? If it is done like it already does just allows for every one in the area to get healed it would be on par with the other healers aoe's but still wouldn't be up to the sorcs aoe healing ability and wouldn't be close to the ops ability either it would equalize it a bit more not over power it? The Merc healer is generally not known as an AOE healer second you've both not offered any counter to a tree ability that is better then the one I have posted.... P.S I also suggested that the merc healer is perfect where it is so make sure you if your going to point out every detail you point out that I'm happy with these changes and happy staying with no changes after them. B. the kolto missile doesn't heal every one it hits for the full amount on a crit.... so if it hit everyone in the raid it will each consecutive person be healed less then the one before..... maybe if you paid attention to your kolto missile you would realize that at the end of the day allowing it to heal all 16 members would mean that the 16th member probably would only get maybe 600-1k heal because he's the 16th member with the first member getting somewhere between I think its 5-6k..... so how about you relearn your merc healers abilities and tree..... either that or you've just recently become a merc and haven't experimented with it as much as some of us have since beta =P

Alacrity has diminishing returns which begins at 200 for the most part. You can use any general engine site you google for an alacrity graph its amazing what you can google =P Some mercs argue heavily between crit and power surge etc.... that's a very viable argument ,but any merc healer arguing that alacrity should be above any number above 200... is clearly either A. putting skill points in pyro rather then a more useful skill which would provide a better result in the other.

Its very simple you don't know your tree... you didn't diminishing returns and you didn't pay attention to XX alacrity= xx seconds taken off....

Why would any one spec into pyro if your a merc healer? Its just that simple to look at the tree and know its stupid to do such. Adding alacrity %..... in the first row? Why? if you really want higher alacrity and don't want to hit diminishing returns go min/max it. I wouldn't suggest it because you'll greatly ruin your crit.... your surge.... and your power to do it.... which is why I suggest don't do anything with alacrity period.... If you don't you will naturally have it in one piece or another which will put you somewhere between 99-200 which is perfect naturally.

As for the other attributes in pyro why increase your on endurance? To try and lie about your gear quality in hopes of obtaining a raid that they don't gear check? So at the end of the day that leaves you with nada.... nothing to do with pyro. The best tree for PVE if you plan on min/maxing the hell out of your gear in 78's 72's 75's what ever stepping stone you currently are at still is 39/7/0 which is the one I suggested. It gives you crit where your more likely to use it, helps your gas cylinders gives you aim gives you more without the problem of getting into diminishing returns like you would with pyro tree because there is no reason any merc healer should have above 200 alacrity FOR ANY REASON PERIOD.

And just for you I uploaded a raid fight on 16m HM styrak for you on torparse to prove that the spec's I gave are more then better then your average tree in pyro. Your tree should be set up to keep your raid alive not yourself.... and a lot of fights go into small snippets of healing verses a consistent range of healing which usually means spiky which your parsec will usually verify that. If I'm doing over 4k HPS and I not in a lot of 78's and not with set bonuses I think my tree spec is more then capable of competing with the top mercs better then yours with your alacrity ;)

I don't even know why I'm bothering...

Its over power to maybe offer the idea to allow the heal to tick on every one in the area rather then just 4 people? and then do the same affect it already does at the moment after that original tick? If it is done like it already does just allows for every one in the area to get healed it would be on par with the other healers aoe's but still wouldn't be up to the sorcs aoe healing ability and wouldn't be close to the ops ability either it would equalize it a bit more not over power it? The Merc healer is generally not known as an AOE healer second you've both not offered any counter to a tree ability that is better then the one I have posted.... P.S I also suggested that the merc healer is perfect where it is so make sure you if your going to point out every detail you point out that I'm happy with these changes and happy staying with no changes after them. B. the kolto missile doesn't heal every one it hits for the full amount on a crit.... so if it hit everyone in the raid it will each consecutive person be healed less then the one before..... maybe if you paid attention to your kolto missile you would realize that at the end of the day allowing it to heal all 16 members would mean that the 16th member probably would only get maybe 600-1k heal because he's the 16th member with the first member getting somewhere between I think its 5-6k..... so how about you relearn your merc healers abilities and tree..... either that or you've just recently become a merc and haven't experimented with it as much as some of us have since beta =P

Alacrity has diminishing returns which begins at 200 for the most part. You can use any general engine site you google for an alacrity graph its amazing what you can google =P Some mercs argue heavily between crit and power surge etc.... that's a very viable argument ,but any merc healer arguing that alacrity should be above any number above 200... is clearly either A. putting skill points in pyro rather then a more useful skill which would provide a better result in the other.

Its very simple you don't know your tree... you didn't diminishing returns and you didn't pay attention to XX alacrity= xx seconds taken off....

Why would any one spec into pyro if your a merc healer? Its just that simple to look at the tree and know its stupid to do such. Adding alacrity %..... in the first row? Why? if you really want higher alacrity and don't want to hit diminishing returns go min/max it. I wouldn't suggest it because you'll greatly ruin your crit.... your surge.... and your power to do it.... which is why I suggest don't do anything with alacrity period.... If you don't you will naturally have it in one piece or another which will put you somewhere between 99-200 which is perfect naturally.

Surge has way worse DR than alacrity so you make no sense here

As for the other attributes in pyro why increase your on endurance? To try and lie about your gear quality in hopes of obtaining a raid that they don't gear check? So at the end of the day that leaves you with nada.... nothing to do with pyro. The best tree for PVE if you plan on min/maxing the hell out of your gear in 78's 72's 75's what ever stepping stone you currently are at still is 39/7/0 which is the one I suggested. It gives you crit where your more likely to use it, helps your gas cylinders gives you aim gives you more without the problem of getting into diminishing returns like you would with pyro tree because there is no reason any merc healer should have above 200 alacrity FOR ANY REASON PERIOD.

The hell are you talking about? Noone takes endurance talent...

And just for you I uploaded a raid fight on 16m HM styrak for you on torparse to prove that the spec's I gave are more then better then your average tree in pyro. Your tree should be set up to keep your raid alive not yourself.... and a lot of fights go into small snippets of healing verses a consistent range of healing which usually means spiky which your parsec will usually verify that. If I'm doing over 4k HPS and I not in a lot of 78's and not with set bonuses I think my tree spec is more then capable of competing with the top mercs better then yours with your alacrity ;)

Yeah I saw your parses, quite pathetic. Avarage 40% overheal. Let me guess you want to buff kolto missile to reach over 50% avarage overheal? :p

Now I know for certain that you are either unbelievably dumb or a troll. Sorry NeNiMel for the derail, I won't go on with this :)

I've seen Pfomos logs and my conclusion is that he is either full of himself or just a troll. To have an APM like he does and to be overhealing as much as he does, he should be putting up a lot more healing. I've been running with 250-350 crit rating and have been using either 4 pieces or 5 pieces of alacrity since 2.0; I can tell you plain and simple that if you have more than 30% overhealing and an APM above 32, your hps should be well over 5k. Because he lacks such numbers and seems to be using the correct rotation, I'm left to blame his build. Thank you.

Learn to read Parsec..... also understand and know your fights..... scum and villainy which that parsec is taken out of is high in end game content of which you stand in groups of 16 people and aoe heal as well as sometimes double heal because of 4 healers on the bosses in that raid.... I'm sorry that your just not that good of a healer to understand your end game fights to know which 2 trees are actually top right now..... and to even understand how to read parsec and connect that to the given fight.... ( I also was in full virpine at the time of that parse no set bonus)

Here I'll do some basic math for you:

If you take the top 21 healing stats for that fight alone in that boss you will find that the top 21 people averaged 30.4666667 in inaffective heals.... If you go to 30 people in that top list its much higher.... If you go into real details and actually read parsec you will also notice most individual healers (now this isn't class based its all healers pub and imp that's posted that makes this top 50)

You will notice the healers that all range between 25%-33% in inaffective heals on average did less then 2 million in heals but there are some scoundrel classes that did quite well with over 2 million in heals with around 25% inaffectiveness.

Now if you take most of the individuals that healed 2-5 mil in heals whatever class they be you will noticed most of those individuals are all in the 35-46% range..... If you wanted to get into real details every 1 mil heals you do you can roughly point out from the top 50 on the list of that raid that there doing about any where between 10-15% inaffectiveness now times that by every mil what do you get?

Just because your mediocre and don't know your circumstances in end game content.....more alacrity=more heat problems=less heals when you really need them and more rapid shots..... 200 or less alacrity and high criting heals is better then a healer that's stuck on rapid shot and can't crit over 11k when he needs to...

I was talking with some merc healing friends of mine and we discussed kolto missile which you use 50-60% of the time we came up with a decent though. Keep Kolto how it is just make the tics after the first initial tick be more of an ideal heal like around 1k..... or so verses the 300-800.... in end game like NiM's and such is 300-800 a tic really that good of a heal to a boss that's doing aoe damage hitting every one for 2k or more in damage? They thought I should post that idea since they don't like dealing with morons that cant read parse or experiment with his trees like the above ^. they also mention you should post a parsec for them to pick on since your so hell bent on high alacrity.

• 2 weeks later...

7k views that is really awesome :D

I have been doing a bit of cosmetic changes to the guide to make it easier to navigate around in the different section.

With the coming changes in 2.6, I expect there to be a quiet few changes to the mercenary healing, which will affect talents and most likely rotation too. I have had a look on the changes on the PTS, but I would like to try them out on the live server, before I make changes to the guide.

I look forward to have a healthy discussion about talents and rotations after the patch ;)

Edited by NeNiMel

Okay I have just been trying out the changes to the bodyguard skill tree and I think that the most optimal for PvE must be something like this:

http://i57.tinypic.com/123uxrr.jpg (Torhead is a bit slow so just did a screencap for now)

I still need some time to figure out the most optimal way of handling the new Kolto Shell during the fight.

Prefight and in all transition phases, you should put kolto shell out on as many people as possible, since there is not much healing needed in these phases and you might aswell prepare for the coming damage.

What do you think?

Edited by NeNiMel

Personally I wouldn't spec into Cure Mind, every major cleansable dot/mechanic is doable with untalanted cleanse. I'd rather put that 1 point into 2/2 Powered Insulators. The only fight I can think of where the healing from Cure Mind would be more than the damaged mitigated with +2% damage reduction is Nefra.

Breaking down to boss fights where Cure Mind could/should be better:

Nefra - yes, lot of cleansing

Draxus - yes, for the corruptor dot (no if you trust your dpsers)

Grob'Thok - who cares :p (but porbably no, since there is no cleanse here afaik)

Corruptor 0 - probably no, too much damage taken and only 1 thing to cleanse

Brontes - same as above

Bestia - nothing to cleanse

Tyrans - nothing to cleanse

Calphayus - maybe for 1st future phase add dots? Idk if that's cleansable

Raptus - nothing to cleanse

Council - damage taken > number of death marks

The less you need to heal yourself the better. The other 2 healing class has +x% healing recieved talents for that, we only have the high damage reduction.

The guide is now updated for 2.6. I have busy with a lot of stuff, so it took a little while before I had the time to make the changes.

I have not had so much time to try out the changes, as I would have liked :o so please let me know what you think!

All your feedback is invaluable for guide to be useful.

• 3 weeks later...