Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

JovethGonzalez

What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2  

3,457 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2

• They're good!
    • They're terrible!
    • I don't care either way.

The original GCD display was by far the best. Give us options to choose between any of the 3.

Forcing one option on everyone will only make certain people happy. Allowing us to choose from multiple options will make almost everyone happy as they can play how they prefer

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With coding as complex as an MMO, there is no way they can implement a fix immediately. Even huge game-breaking exploits have taken 24 hours or more to fix.

This game is complex. But you cannot say for certain that they couldn't have done something/anything is the 24 hours since the patch was released. I would speculate that had they focused on this problem (instead of Ilum) and/or considered a rollback it could have been resolved by now for those who find the game unplayable.

Stop acting like you are 100% certain they couldn't have done something more...

I absolutely never made nor hinted at that statement. I have explicitly said the exact opposite on multiple occasions.

Your solution is to wait until an entire new patch is available. This doesn't help the people who find the game unplayable right now. Yet it allows those who like the new UI to keep playing. It is clearly a biased viewpoint.

Then either you haven't read the posts I've read or I've misread them. Regardless, I'm not going to go back through the 250+ pages this particular topic has generated just to try and prove this one point.

I seriously doubt anybody has just said to shut down the servers for no reason. People have said to shut down the servers and do a rollback if this is possible. And even if people's quotes have literal said "shut down the servers" do you actual believe people mean: "shut down the servers for no reason, even if a rollback or hotfix isn't possible." Nobody wants a scorched earth.

Gah imbedded my replies within the quotes. I'm too lazy to fix.

Edited by Thesseract

Make the abilities black and white when they are on cool down. When they come off cool down change them back to their original colors. During the global cool down you can use a quick grey line that goes from the top to the bottom of the abilities affected.

:wea_09:

Why is every UI "improvement" worse than the one it replaced? What two year old easily amused by flashing lights thought it was a good idea for practically the entire UI to flash every 1.5 seconds?

Can I have the launch UI back please and just open it up to modders? The way you guys are going, the next improvement will audible tones that make animals cry, or some chick with a super annoying voice saying "ready!!" every time the GCD refreshes.

Edited by ChicksDigHarleys

Something like that is exactly what I suggested earlier. Thanks for pointing it out, made by Bioware no less!

Dragon Age Origins Cooldown

Check out the CD timer on the ability he has on the first slot. Great stuff!

Do this again!

I do like that but you may have the same problem for longer abilities that they just had: the sliver to show time left may be too small to be noticeable. However, I suspect a clock-style is much easier to see than a bar at the bottom almost touching the edge.

It's certainly an improvement over what we had before, but I think the white borders are too much, as well as the giant drop shadow behind the cooldown marker line. If you toned down the crazy white bars and the shadow, it wouldn't be so distracting.

Gah imbedded my replies within the quotes. I'm too lazy to fix.

No worries, I think the debate has taken its course. Bioware is working on a change and there really is nothing that can be done to try and force them to work on it faster. When the change is ready to be implemented, whether by hotfix, patch, rollback, etc., it'll be implemented.

Edited by GamewizX

I've only really experienced it on my lvl 33 Sentinel. The biggest problem I have on him is that the icons for about half of my attacks are this greyish-blue color that is very, very close to the same color as the greyed-out icon that shows the skill is still on cooldown.

No worries, I think the debate has taken its course. Bioware is working on a change and there really is nothing that can be done to try and force them to work on it faster. When the change is ready to be implemented, whether by hotfix, patch, rollback, etc., it'll be implemented.

Agreed. Consensus reached. All we can both do now is hope they somehow find a solution that please both parties and fast.

Edited by Thesseract

Hi everyone,

We will be bringing down servers for four hours on February 9th, 2012 from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET) in order to deploy a patch. This patch will resolve the following:

Killing players on Ilum will now grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

All servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Upcoming Patch

Date: Thursday, February 9th, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Doesn't look like anything will be changing tomorrow :mad:

I'd play a little more on the test server if it had copy character option or maybe increased experience not sure if it does, if it does I might make might lightside character there for fun then I could test the bugs and have easy leveling to see the story.

As it stands I thought it was a big improvement. I think it would be a little more helpful if we could fully customize the UI to go along with it. Also more bar options at some point. I think what makes it bad is I have bars all over my screen that flash left right two in the middle. If I could have three bars in the center or even an option like WAR one bar with twobars under it that basically overlap the top bar that would be great.

Keep the changes maybe a little less bright and you have a winner. :-)

Edited by bbates

Why is every UI "improvement" worse than the one it replaced? What two year old easily amused by flashing lights thought it was a good idea for practically the entire UI to flash every 1.5 seconds?

Can I have the launch UI back please and just open it up to modders? The way you guys are going, the next improvement will audible tones that make animals cry, or some chick with a super annoying voice say "ready!!" every time the GCD refreshes.

I suspect it's a microcosm of an overall problem in software design: concentrating on fixing issues individually instead of redesigning everything to work properly and cohesively.

Something like that is exactly what I suggested earlier. Thanks for pointing it out, made by Bioware no less!

Dragon Age Origins Cooldown

Check out the CD timer on the ability he has on the first slot. Great stuff!

Do this again!

it's definitely better than the current one for sure but i still think this one :

is more informative and easier to read (imo)

Edited by skepticck

Damn. Can't choose the reply.

UI is not horrible because I kinda got used to the flashy stuff.

But it is not splendid and could be improved further down the line.

The scrolling CD line is still confusing since I don't see how many seconds left on cooldown without hovering mouse over icon. The global cooldown could be handled in a different way. For example, darkened with a thinner CD line and no flash but it is up to community.

I am used to it the way it is.

I like the new UI cooldown animations just fine except for one thing.

I primarily play a Vanguard Trooper, and the High Impact Bolt ability is normally greyed out until you select a debilitated target. Previously, the greyed out HiB would light up like other normal use skills behind the GCD animation, so I knew it'd be available when the global cooldown completed. The new animations don't allow for any feedback on it's availability until after the animation completes. Obviously, this slows reaction time while waiting to see if it's available or not.

The Blitz skill suffers from the same issue with the current animation.

I suppose all such situation based skills on other classes have the same problem.

Hi everyone,

We will be bringing down servers for four hours on February 9th, 2012 from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET) in order to deploy a patch. This patch will resolve the following:

Killing players on Ilum will now grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

All servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Upcoming Patch

Date: Thursday, February 9th, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) to 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Doesn't look like anything will be changing tomorrow :mad:

That is freakin' ridiculous! I care more about the UI then freakin' Ilum, that just freakin' pisses me off.

The change makes it almost impossible to plan ahead on my Smuggler.

The Dark ICONS are unreadable until the GCD is over so you have .25 of a second to pick the next ICON or what spell to use.

The Flashing is BURNING my EYES and is useless since it is actually after the GCD so my spell bar stays dark or greyed out 90 % of the fight.

Four spell bars all flashing is distracting and pointless....my EYES !

There has to be thousands of spell bar methods out there surely you aren't incapable of looking at the 999 well done spell bars and ICONs ?

:mad: