Rich, bountiful and abundant...

Kyris_Xiandrii

I'm fairly sure it's

Bountiful > Rich > Abundant > Moderate

I haven't paid any attention to the actual results of my missions so maybe I'm mistaken. However, I see "Rich" missions very often, while Bountiful missions are pretty rare for me. That leads me to believe that Bountiful is the highest non-schematic mission level.

I'm fairly sure it's

Bountiful > Rich > Abundant > Moderate

I haven't paid any attention to the actual results of my missions so maybe I'm mistaken. However, I see "Rich" missions very often, while Bountiful missions are pretty rare for me. That leads me to believe that Bountiful is the highest non-schematic mission level.

This is not correct.

Rich > Bountiful > Abundant > Moderate. Just look at the costs for the associated missions.

As to why the 'common wisdom' that anything Abundant or Moderate is not worth it, I don't know why that exists.

This is not correct.

Rich > Bountiful > Abundant > Moderate. Just look at the costs for the associated missions.

As to why the 'common wisdom' that anything Abundant or Moderate is not worth it, I don't know why that exists.

Maybe because Abundant and Moderate can't crit purples.

Actually, with my latest Biochem I had Corso crit purple on a diplomacy mission the first time I used it. Level 11, Diplomacy 1, moderate light side diplomacy mission brought back 2 biochemical bonding agent and 2 alien blood. So, it might be rarer with Moderate yield, but it can happen.

• 2 years later...
This is not correct.

ACTUALLY... Bountiful is more rare then Rich, and the missions do cost more and take a lot more time, up to an hour plus, when Rich missions are about 34 minutes at level 450. So Bountiful is indeed better than Rich...

ACTUALLY... Bountiful is more rare then Rich, and the missions do cost more and take a lot more time, up to an hour plus, when Rich missions are about 34 minutes at level 450. So Bountiful is indeed better than Rich...

Right and wrong. For each of the mission skills at grade 9 there is a higher cost+more time abundant and bountiful mission. But those missions do not yield any more material than there lesser cost+less time sister mission. Example: In the Underworld trading mission list you can get: "Buying Amends" which costs 3120 credits and takes about 35 minutes. Or you can get "Everything Must Go" which costs 3745 credits and takes an 1 hour 15 minutes. BOTH yield the same amount of materials: 4 Frasium with a chance at 2 Berylius

On the critical success issue: critting for purples in grade 9 (the highest at the moment) only bountiful and rich missions yield purple materials. ALL other grades in ALL mission skill missions can crit purples.

Standard pricing and yield for grade 9 gathering skill missions is as follows:

• Moderate: 1920 credits yields 2 units (or 960 credits per unit on a non-crit)
  • Abundant: 2000 credits yields 4 units (or 500 credits per unit on a non-crit)
  • Bountiful: 3120 credits yields 6 units (or 520 credits per unit on a non-crit)
  • Rich: 3240 credits yields 8 units (or 405 credits per unit on a non-crit)

(NOTE: add two to each of those yields on a crit)

This means that the most cost effective missions are Rich, followed by Abundant, then Bountiful, then Moderate

Standard pricing for grade 9 mission skill missions is as follows:

• Moderate: 1920 credits generally yielding 1 blue quality material (crits 2 blue materials)
  • Abundant: 2000 credits generally yielding 2 blue quality materials (crits 3 blue materials)
  • Abundant: 2400 credits generally yielding 2 blue quality materials (crits 3 blue materials)
  • Bountiful: 3120 credits generally yielding 4 blue quality materials (crits 5 blue and 2 purple materials)
  • Bountiful: 3745 credits generally yielding 4 blue quality materials (crits 5 blue and 2 purple materials)
  • Rich: 3240 credits generally yielding 5 blue quality materials (crits 6 blue and 4 purple materials)

So you see Rich missions are the best from a cost per unit perspective.

Just because a mission costs more to run (in credits and time) does not make it better.

I know all of this because I dread seeing the higher cost+longer time bountiful missions.

Edited by psandak

No, you are confused about the Tier 9 37xx Cr mission. That one Bountiful mission shows up on my lists as often as the Rich missions and quite often at the same time as Rich missions.

Wealthy and Prosperous come from Crafting Mission items looted or proc'd from Slicing and from some NPC loot tables while Rich and below are all from the Crew Skill list. Wealthy missions are Artifact, Prosperous are Prototype items.

The 37xx Cr Bountiful missions appear to have a better chance of returning Artifact mats than do the 32xx Bountiful missions, about equal the chance of a Rich mission.

On Tier 6 missions, the best you can get for Crew Skill list missions is Abundant.

I can't find it, but there is a great guide somewhere on the entire system including how the farther away from your skill level a mission is the greater the chance to crit.

Psandak, I get 3 Artifact mats from the 37xx crits, not 2.

OK that's good to know. I made an assumption and was wrong. Thank you.

That being said, let's do some math :).

A few (more) assumptions (to make the math easier):

1. it's the artifact mats one is looking for (the overwhelming majority of the time prototype quality materials sell for less than they cost to acquire)
  2. Always using a +2 crit companion with max affection to run the missions
  3. A perfect distribution of crits occurs (failures do not matter because non-crits and failures alike do not yield artifact materials; so they are treated equally)

• Bountiful 3120 will yield 44 artifact mats in 100 attempts (22% crit chance*2 units per crit = 44 units). So the cost per unit is 7091 credits.
  • Bountiful 3745 will yield 66 artifact mats in 100 attempts (22% crit chance*3 units per crit = 66 units). So the cost per unit is 5674 credits
  • Rich 3240 will yield 88 artifact mats in 100 attempts (22% crit chance*4 units per crit = 88 units). So the cost per unit is 3812 credits.

But if we now take time into account...

One can run the 3210 mission a little more than twice as often as the 3745 mission. So in the same span of time, one gets two shots at critting using the 3210 mission versus the 3745. Granted that also means one spends twice the credits, but in the same span of time the 3120 mission will generate 88 units versus the 3745 66.

Once again time and credits are interchangeable resources: spend more money save time, spend more time save money.

It is more complicated than that, as both the Rich and high cost Bountiful mission can return 3 artifact materials.

I just checked my characters, and on one I received a crit return for Secret Recipe with 3 / 6 materials, and on another I received 2 /4.

I've seen the same results for the 37xx Bountiful missions with some results 2 /4 and some 3 / 6.

What I don't have are a lot of data to show if one mission or another has a higher chance at providing the higher return, so I can't say for sure but my casual observation suggests to me that it is still more cost effective to run the Rich mission over the 37xx Bountiful.

Update: Just started tracking and running all three UWT missions, Rich, Expensive Bountiful, Regular Bountiful.

Rich has provided 5 prototype mats on a non crit, both Bountiful missions have provided 4. No variation thus far.

Rich has provided 3 artifact mats on a crit, both Bountiful missions have provided 2. No variation thus far, have seen 3 crits for Rich mission, 1 crit for each Bountiful mission.

Edited by DawnAskham

Another update and bump in case others have data to share.

UWT:

I have yet to see the elusive 3 artifact mats return on a crit for anything other than Secret Recipe (Rich). Both Bountiful missions have constantly returned 2 artifact mats on a crit, and both have returned 4 prototype mats on a non crit.

TH:

I have seen the elusive 3 artifact mats return on a crit for both the Bountiful missions.

Personally, while my sample size is very small (only a handful of crits for each mission), I see zero reason to run the expensive / long Bountiful mission as the less expensive / short Bountiful provides the same returns, and the Rich mission provides increased returns at a lower cost per material.

Edited by DawnAskham

Another update and bump in case others have data to share.

UWT:

I have yet to see the elusive 3 artifact mats return on a crit for anything other than Secret Recipe (Rich). Both Bountiful missions have constantly returned 2 artifact mats on a crit, and both have returned 4 prototype mats on a non crit.

TH:

I have seen the elusive 3 artifact mats return on a crit for both the Bountiful missions.

Personally, while my sample size is very small (only a handful of crits for each mission), I see zero reason to run the expensive / long Bountiful mission as the less expensive / short Bountiful provides the same returns, and the Rich mission provides increased returns at a lower cost per material.

I have seen many more crits on the 37xx Bountiful missions and they always return 3 mats when I crit. In fact, it's a rare occurrence when the 37xx doesn't crit for me.

Actually, while gathering materials for crafting my own blue quality armorings, the moderate and abundant missions have gained me some purples, maybe the 50+ ones are different?

At lower levels, I've seen all missions return artifact mats. At Tier 6 and higher I have not. It could be that at that level I just don't run those missions whereas I ran anything that was of orange difficulty while I was leveling the skills.

That kind of makes me wonder if the chance of returning an artifact mat is somehow tied in with the difficulty level of the mission...