Why all the thermal detonator hate?

Sideblaze

Hey all, I keep seeing around the forums that after the 1.4 changes that TD is apparently "Useless"

Not that i think i'm better or anything, But i find that really unlikely considering not only it's monsterous burst, but the fact it can now stack with ED, Combined with the surge bonus from that one talent, why do people seriously think this is a bad ability now? Yes it has 10m range, But we still have the advantage when it comes to kiting compared to other Melees.

Were the people who said this bad or am i just "Dat ignorant nub"?

not sure about all the skills of your class but if you are talking about the detonator you throw on some1, its pretty useless vs an assassin. I force shroud half a second before the explosion and laugh out loud XD especially when I have more then one on me lol

Assassin is the only reason? You can't negate a power from being useful by just having a counter class. That's like complaining that a healing spell sucks because a marauder can choke you while you cast it.

I agree with you on TD. I actually like most of the changes they made to PT in 1.4. I honestly think that the range thing was needed as having that burst at 30m as a class that mainly exists in the 4-10m range was a bit silly. I really love that IM is (mostly) removed from our rotation and the ED changes make up for the range nerf to TD. Honestly I feel like once I get in the 10m range my burst is even better than it used to be.

edit: grammar

Edited by TheJackalistaken

Yea i never understood the TD hate, people even hated it before the nerf. As for Force Shroud i just wait to drop TD after ther bright silver dance (gold for shadows) and watch them panic, ther is a reason those classes wear dresses.

I just find it strange, That apparently we suck because we can't hit a dude five miles away.

I mean, If you are a pyrotech and are trying to KILL people from 30m away, You are doing it wrong.

I mean, It's not like we have a grapple or anything like that.

EDIT: None of our abilities were really changed, I can totally see it as a BUFF if anything, considering ED

Edited by Sideblaze

The main reason for not having a TD is that u can take +9% aim in tank tree not sacrificing some vital talents in AP tree. That ends having 1830 aim in BM/WH gear for me, and I watch shiny 5k crits from RS on PVE-geared targets. All other skills get significant damage boost too.

The main reason for not having a TD is that u can take +9% aim in tank tree not sacrificing some vital talents in AP tree. That ends having 1830 aim in BM/WH gear for me, and I watch shiny 5k crits from RS on PVE-geared targets. All other skills get significant damage boost too.

Also, TD is a harder hitting Explosive Dart, with 1/3 of the range. Many people will prefer the range advantage, since Powertechs lack in that department.

I stopped using TD in PVP setting. Burst was nice, but the cooldown is too long and hard to line it up. When you want it you don't have it. 8/8/25 seems much better spec with slightly less burst and huge improvement in sustained damage.

Not a single Pyro/Assault on my server running any Steely Resolve variant has ever beaten me in 1v1 combat. The only time Steely Resolve specs are decent is when you're gearing up to optimized WH. After that, it's all about buffing tech/dots and stacking max Power in a 4/6/31 spec.

I'm a nub on this game (had it little over a week) but if I was good and was about to go after an Assassin I would use an ability that I know they would use the Shroud on and have a TD waiting for when it goes away and they still have to wait for the Shroud to cool down. As for the TD no comment since my BH isn't there yet.

I dropped td long ago. It was nice to have before the range nerf though. IMO putting your points towards more aim and stronger flame bursts is the way to go. Td wastes heat, doesn't guarantee a crit, and can be prevented. When I switched over to my current spec from my old td one, I was amazed. My damage output was insanely better. Fat flame bursts, and constant 3k+ punches/5k+ rail shots. Edited by Kintaroshi

It's a mercs talent now, ironically it's mostly useful for them at close range due to casts being fairly crap at melee range.

Ofc at long range they can toss in a TD in for the hell of it when they want to drop the sky on someone.

PT doesn't have a problem with casts at melee range because they are melee therefore they can stick to their rotation.

Edited by Gyronamics