Problems with the Prequels

Mordegrus

Well when TPM was released in 3D, it did well. If people didn't want to watch any of them, they wouldn't have gone to see it. You say you haven't seen anyone watch them....so you stalked people to see if they watched any? Thats creepy.

Lol. I watch the entire saga every year. It's sort of a tradition for me.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when TPM was released in 3D, it did well. If people didn't want to watch any of them, they wouldn't have gone to see it. You say you haven't seen anyone watch them....so you stalked people to see if they watched any? Thats creepy.

I don't stalk people.

I watch them.:D

(I'm just kidding)

Fine, the Prequels were not that bad, but the storyline could have been better.

In Episode V, Vader revealed to Luke that Vader was his father.

The revealation was so cool, that no expected it.

There was no revealations in the Prequels, making the storyline very boring, and hard to watch.

Also, in Episode II, most of the movie was just Anakin and Padme's romance together.

Man, you must not like story telling that much at all then. Hope you never have to read Greek tragedy and many other greats. :rolleyes:

But why was Anakin do easily turned to the Dark Side.

Didn't he have years of Jedi Training?

Plus, Palpatine TOLD him he was a SITH LORD!

Yet, he joined Palpatine only after he killed Windu out of pressure (which was stupid too because Windu was a Jedi who could use the Force to sense the thoughts of others, and could have Force Pused him or something, because he was second to Yoda).

Palpatine offered a way to save padme from dying. Anakin was her husband, he would do anything for her, even go against the jedi. He never follows the path of the jedi as a whole. From joining against yoda's will, to never making master. About the only thing he did right was train Ahsoka and help create luke. Had he listened to Windu, which btw was another thing he and Obi-wan/Qui-gon were famous for was going against the council, he would be a master, ON THE COUNCIL and the sith would be gone yo. But of course, he was impatient and caused the entire order to nearly fall to ruin. His motives are very much screwed up. Look at Force Unleashed. He kills jedi with no real reason to do so besides the emperor's bidding, raises Galen Marek, watches him die and then breeds him like cows and trains out a "perfect" apprentice. Had he any common sense, which was to really be contested, he may have made better judgment calls. But alas, Anakin Skywalker was a rash, egotistical young man who had so much promise, but let his emotions cloud his judgment.

• 1 month later...
Palpatine offered a way to save padme from dying. Anakin was her husband, he would do anything for her, even go against the jedi. He never follows the path of the jedi as a whole. From joining against yoda's will, to never making master. About the only thing he did right was train Ahsoka and help create luke. Had he listened to Windu, which btw was another thing he and Obi-wan/Qui-gon were famous for was going against the council, he would be a master, ON THE COUNCIL and the sith would be gone yo. But of course, he was impatient and caused the entire order to nearly fall to ruin. His motives are very much screwed up. Look at Force Unleashed. He kills jedi with no real reason to do so besides the emperor's bidding, raises Galen Marek, watches him die and then breeds him like cows and trains out a "perfect" apprentice. Had he any common sense, which was to really be contested, he may have made better judgment calls. But alas, Anakin Skywalker was a rash, egotistical young man who had so much promise, but let his emotions cloud his judgment.

But the writers could have done something better, couldn't they?

except once Padme is dead he has no reason to continue going down the dark side.

If the Prequels were good, lots of people would watch them again, and so far, I haven"t seen anyone watch them again...

I actually watch the whole sage three times a year. Don't know who your friends are, but you need to stop stalking them.

People who defend the prequels often do so by explaining why a particular character acts a certain way or why a particular plot point is not as dumb as it appears, usually with reference to expanded universe material or novelisations. This misses the whole point. If the film needs rationalisations for character behaviour then it has failed to make the audience emotionally involved with the characters. It doesn't matter how much CGI, action choreography or Natalie Portman you put in, if there is no emotional involvement there is no dramatic effect.

This lack of audience involvement is the result of bad dialogue, unconvincing character development, dull cinematography and poor editing.

I actually think that The Clone Wars is far more successful in all of these areas and the hokey droids and Jar Jar become like the Ewoks, annoyances to be tolerated. We believe in the characters actions and are genuinely interested in what happens to them. The way they develop the clones' personalities is particularly heartwarming.

In respect to Anakin's fall to the dark side, well, when Anakin performs an act of genocide in ep.II, that pretty much decided things for me. Padme's relative lack of response to this and the subsequent treatment of Anakin's fall as being about concern for Padme leads me to the conclusion that either Lucas is a poor scriptwriter or that he has very questionable ethics.

The Prequels are actually fairly decent..... on DVD with the fastforward button to get past the Jar Jar and cringe-worthy romance scenes.

Well you can't skip the scene on Tatooine with ani's mom. Where Qui-Gon grabs Jar Jar's tongue and laid the smackdown on him.

Wait... he didn't do that. I must have blacked out and imagined that second part.

when Anakin performs an act of genocide in ep.II, that pretty much decided things for me. Padme's relative lack of response to this and the subsequent treatment of Anakin's fall as being about concern for Padme leads me to the conclusion that either Lucas is a poor scriptwriter or that he has very questionable ethics.

If that was my mother and I had Anakin's power, I would have genocided the Sand People too, think alot of people would if they had that power and watched their mother die and knew of the torture and **** she endured. (didn't foresee that word being censored, but it makes sense) The reference is subtle but stop and think about why Sand People would have someone bound and gag. As it has been stated: the Sand People are savages.

Edited by Tuscad

I like the Prequels a lot. I even went to see Episode I in 3D with my friends in the theatre just because we could.

They're flawed movies, definately, but they're not "bad" movies. I've seen some crap in my day, and the Star Wars Prequels might not be the superb, tight-knit epics that ANH and ESB are (RotJ is, frankly, also quite flawed as a film) but they certainly aren't, say, Alien Resurrection, Serenity or Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation.

If that was my mother and I had Anakin's power, I would have genocided the Sand People too, think alot of people would if they had that power and watched their mother die and knew of the torture and **** she endured. (didn't foresee that word being censored, but it makes sense) The reference is subtle but stop and think about why Sand People would have someone bound and gag. As it has been stated: the Sand People are savages.

Really? You would slaughter a whole camp of men, women and children? Well, that is your prerogative I suppose.

What you are doing is an example of what I was stating earlier, justification of character behaviour instead of examining whether the artistic choice itself is successful. The real question though is not what you would do yourself but what effect this plot device has on the audience and whether this is consistent with the themes and topics of the story.

I'm sure you would agree that a major theme of the story is that revenge, anger and hate are dark side emotions. With the act of genocide what we see is clearly indulgence in revenge and in his subsequent confession to Padme the overriding emotions are still anger and hatred. Why isn't this Anakin's fall? Why does Lucas just treat this barbaric act as a seed for control issues concerning Padme? Why does the story clearly indicate the Windu/Sidious duel as being Anakin's point of no return?

Is dismemberment for the sake of love really more of a dark side issue than genocide for the sake of revenge? Is the life of a savage child really worth less than the hand of a Jedi master? I wonder what answer Yoda would give to those questions.