Old Republic military: rank symbols?

Draksen

Hello there

I've tried to find the rank symbols of the Old Republic army, having my trooper in mind :rolleyes: (and the need to rp it ;) )

A quick google gives the ranks of the later republic army (clone wars) with the ranks system used by clones with colors on shoulder/armor uniforms indicating the rank: green for sergeant, blue for Lt, red for captain, yellow/orange for Major...

I've even found the rank symbols of the Rebel Alliance, no problem... except that it's millenia or more after the game's events...

I dont even talk about the Imperial ranks, well known, that you can find everywhere (with the system of red and blue squares famous from the trilogy).

But when it comes to the Republic ranks during the time of the game (the old republic), nada, niente, rien du tout, nothing :(

Sure we do have the list of ranks used by the republic (the unlocked codex: http://www.torhead.com/codex/9dsk6c7/republic-military-ranks )

Can someone confirm that the list is accurate by the way, or is it just an invention for the game, do we have other documents on the subject?

And anyway, apart from the rank names, nothing on symbols, though we can see some ranking systems on our toons' uniforms in game, with blue squares or triangles, sometimes a system of golden circles for officiers and generals...

Help! :rolleyes:

Edited by Draksen

Good luck

I just had a look at the Wookiepedia article on Imperial ranks and the massive mess they are with so many inconsistancies

Why do most Sci Fi militaries seem to be a mish mash of Army and Navy ranks that overlap in unexplained ways?

We cant have a Captain as a Grade 3 Army Officer and a Captain as a Grade 6 Naval Officer, far too confusing if they have the same name ......

Good luck

I just had a look at the Wookiepedia article on Imperial ranks and the massive mess they are with so many inconsistancies

Why do most Sci Fi militaries seem to be a mish mash of Army and Navy ranks that overlap in unexplained ways?

We cant have a Captain as a Grade 3 Army Officer and a Captain as a Grade 6 Naval Officer, far too confusing if they have the same name ......

Because they're either:

A. Written by people with a limited understanding of rank structure (regardless of which real-world military they're using as a reference).

or

B. The rank is less important than the plot and character development so the structure is adapted as necessary (BSG, for example).

And actually, the captain issue is a correct usage. There have been a number of discussions about that on the interwebz, but you can actually have army and navy captain ranks. It actually gets more complicated, as captain is also a title of an officer (regardless of formal rank) in command of a vessel. In the real world, if you had an army or marine captain on board a ship, they get a courtesy promotion to Major, as there is only one captain on board. A navy officer with a rank as captain on board (but not in command) would get a courtesy promotion as well (Commodore, usually).

Ain't it a mess?

:D