Why there should be no penalty for leaving wzs.

tekhiun

So I have see quite a few posts complaining about people leaving warzones. I would agree that is quite annoying to just see 4 people leaving at once ( the cry babe premade ) when you are in a losing position before the 1 minute mark. In my opinion people should just try to turn the tide as its something that can and has happen several times and that is what i usually do.

With that being said there are several reasons valid reasons to leave a warzones. These scenarios are mainly caused due to faults in the pvp system such as no matchmaking algorithm , no gear or role balancing and no minimum expertise requirement . Again , I am not a quitter but when i see somebody else leaving a wz due to those reasons I really can't blame them, its very dishearting to see a guy with full campaign gear on your team as he is usually the one on the bottom of the rank and all he does is run back from the spawn the entire wz ( seen quite a lot of those since 1.6). So before they put a penalty to leaving a wz I think bioware should fix these issues

Also you rather be stuck in a wz with a guy that doesn't want to be there or have the chance to get a new guy that will actually make an effort ?

Edited by tekhiun

You missed a reason.

Backfill.

I should ALWAYS have the option to start a fresh warzone.

Yes if I'm backfill into a 400-500, 2-capped ACW, where there is still reasonable time to turn it around, I'll generally stay.

200-400 civil war, the outcome is already fairly much decided so I leave, unless maybe I need a quick daily that day.

I will stay in a losing warzone that I was in from the start, but I am under no obligation to frustrate myself trying to clean up someone else's mess.

Don't you just love being back filled into 0-4 huttball match with 2 minutes on the clock and behind full time door? Yea neither do I. I was all for penalty for quitting some time ago, but these days I'm not sure if it's that good of an idea. Edited by MelodicSixNine

So I have see quite a few posts complaining about people leaving warzones. I would agree that is quite annoying to just see 4 people leaving at once ( the cry babe premade )
indeed i wish i had told my premade to leave at start when i noticed the other 4 teammates we re 2 arsenal spec mercs in recruit and 2 sorcs 1 with 87 and the other with 308 expertise guess what happend.......we didn t win..... Edited by iDraxter

I don't know how to put this, but don't want to say I don't care about winning, so I don't quit because of that; because I do care, it just isn't the end of the world, so I don't rage quit. I do care enough to understand rage quit, but most of the time, I just assume I get my medals and my comms and keep just playing like the game still matters, not worrying about the things I can't control.

I might like to quit because the type of WZ sometimes though. I'm sorry; but if I do not like NC and it keeps getting feed to me a lot; I see no reason I should not be able to leave without penalty.

indeed i wish i had told my premade to leave at start when i noticed the other 4 teammates we re 2 arsenal spec mercs in recruit and 2 sorcs 1 with 87 and the other with 308 expertise guess what happend.......we didn t win.....

Best thing you can do when you won't get the objective as a premade? Kill as many enemies as possible and don't care about objectives at all. :p

I don't know how to put this, but don't want to say I don't care about winning, so I don't quit because of that; because I do care, it just isn't the end of the world, so I don't rage quit. I do care enough to understand rage quit, but most of the time, I just assume I get my medals and my comms and keep just playing like the game still matters, not worrying about the things I can't control.

I might like to quit because the type of WZ sometimes though. I'm sorry; but if I do not like NC and it keeps getting feed to me a lot; I see no reason I should not be able to leave without penalty.

Yes thats also a very valid reason and I have seem people doing it as soon as they load in they quit. Being backfilled into a wz that is about to end or is hopeless is another issue that we have as other people mentioned and there is no reason to stay in those.

Don't you just love being back filled into 0-4 huttball match with 2 minutes on the clock and behind full time door? Yea neither do I. I was all for penalty for quitting some time ago, but these days I'm not sure if it's that good of an idea.

backfill is the REAL problem. not ppl leaving. ppl will ALWAYS LEAVE. WoW's grp finders proved that YEARS AGO. the real problem is back fill. 90% of the time, back fill is the scenario described above: the fillers are thrown into a hopeless (more or less) WZ. that's why most ppl *choose* to leave WZs (the rest dc).

wait, what? you want to eliminate back fill? YES! here's why:

1. people don't generally abandon WZ's in which they're ahead, but many do abandon ones in which victory is a slim hope at best. therefore, anyone who takes a pop and becomes back fill will find that they are being punished for somebody else doing the 'wrong' thing.
  2. since back fill normally takes place in losing WZs, and those WZs are even more uneven because it take a while from the point of desertion to that of the new player actually entering, the likeihood of a lose increases exponentially when ppl leave. (although there are rare cases when replacements occur fast enough and the replacements are considerably better players)

so I see how back fill is bad. but how is NO BACK FILL actually good?

• easy. when ppl abandon a WZ, the shutdown timer begins. the winners get their win. the shorthanded team's players get a chance to start over without sitting through a string of back fill joins and abandons (cuz let's face it, about half of the back fills abandon immediately when they see the horrible situation they've pug'd into).

there is no dowside here. the way the system is constructed now, it actually encourages ppl to abandon (once others in your grp begin to). and there's very little incentive to stick out a match in which you're so outgunned that if you're not spawn camped, you just die in focus fire at every node. end the WZ early. give the other guys their win and their comms. move on. play a WZ in which you aren't cannon fodder because of the revolving back fill gate.

listen...I was playing this game since day one too. I hate when ppl start off with one of those lines, but hear me out: I spent a lot of time on that first origin server (The Courageous for me). I know what it's like to wait hours for a reg WZ pop. I vividly remember begging ppl in fleet just to queue up so 8 or 10 of us could get a pop...even if the other ppl would just decline the pop when it occurred. I know the frustration of finally getting a WZ only to have it end, repeatedly, due to a shortage of players. that's not the case now. server populations are higher and queue populations are far more healthy/stable. the matching system is more intuitive. it' compares numbers on each side rather than absolute numbers on just one side (not that it even matters because the populations are high). WE DON'T NEED BACK FILL TO KEEP PVP WZ's ALIVE ANYMORE. it's more of a pain to keep horrible matches alive than let them die and start new ones. This is almost as asinine as a rated match in which one grp drops and the other is forced to run around an empty WZ until they fulfill the criteria of a win.

backfill is the REAL problem.

I agree, backilling is certainly one of the problems, but I think the issue could be resolved in a much much easier way by simply changing how the WEEKLY WZ quest works. Since only wins count towards it, once the daily is done and you want to start chipping away at the weekly, losses do nothing for you. And as you get close to the weekly cutoff, it starts to create a sense of desperation for some, and people see a weak team or incompetence, they leave. With losses not counting towards anything, it's nothing but a waste of time (especially for those who have limited playtime) to simply ride out the losses.

Maybe double the requirement to 18 WZ's for the weekly? Wins count double (like the daily) so you still need the same 9 wins, but you can at least complete it with losses if you needed to? To me, it should be more about participation than anything, but that's just me.

I agree, backilling is certainly one of the problems, but I think the issue could be resolved in a much much easier way by simply changing how the WEEKLY WZ quest works. Since only wins count towards it, once the daily is done and you want to start chipping away at the weekly, losses do nothing for you. And as you get close to the weekly cutoff, it starts to create a sense of desperation for some, and people see a weak team or incompetence, they leave. With losses not counting towards anything, it's nothing but a waste of time (especially for those who have limited playtime) to simply ride out the losses.

Maybe double the requirement to 18 WZ's for the weekly? Wins count double (like the daily) so you still need the same 9 wins, but you can at least complete it with losses if you needed to? To me, it should be more about participation than anything, but that's just me.

the dynamic you refer to is certainly real. I'd add, however, that I see it more on Tuesday resets than Monday nights. another reason for abandons is the desire to 'superQ' and abandoning if the two grps don't land on the same team. anyway, I like your solution, but I'd only notice it about 2 days per week. imo, if a weak player is willing to struggle through 18 losses, then more power to him. he's "earned" that weekly more than the geared guy running around with his equally skilled cronies.

anyway, I like your solution, but I'd only notice it about 2 days per week.

Speaking only to my situation here (and a few other close friends who are also married/have families), but I only play a couple of nights during the week for a few hours and a couple of hours during the day on either Sat or Sun, RL permitting. That said, I'm sure some folks play more in one day than I do in a week, so everyone's personal experience/opinion is going to vary with this. But in my case, where I might have limited time in comparison to others, wins are important to me if I want to be able to reset my weekly on time. I have no real idea of the demographic that this game caters to mainly, but I can probably assume I'm not alone.

And trust me, I get that games are not built around casuals, I was simply pointing out the angle of possible panic some might experience as they rub up against the weekly cutoff and the necessity of having only wins to complete it.

Just remove premades from regular WZs = Fixed.

Except for all the people in premades...

Who are either a very small part of the population, and therefore shouldn't be able to cause "problems" for the people who want to be bad and still win, or they are a large portion of the population who BW would be angering, for the sake of people who want to be bad and still win.

Except for all the people in premades...

Who are either a very small part of the population, and therefore shouldn't be able to cause "problems" for the people who want to be bad and still win, or they are a large portion of the population who BW would be angering, for the sake of people who want to be bad and still win.

They can get another premade and make a rated group. Or bioware can just make a 2x4man queue for them , both sides will have more fun that way.