Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I think there are a couple of species that could qualify as mono-gendered but they tend to be hermaphroditic (like the Hutts, which... aren't... really that similar to the asari at all). But they've already invented the Voss and Gormak for the MMO so I could imagine they'd be more wary of crossing over Mas Effect's copyright lines than they would be wary of deviating from established Star Wars lore.

I'd like to point out that, as Mass Effect was made by Bioware, they own the copyright to it already.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue humanoids with the red eyes.

Best species in all of SWTOR. :cool: They're actually a near-human race that are essentially a "recent" evolutionary branch of humankind (in the Star Wars universe) - their colouring occurred due to their isolation on Csilla. A mineral in that environment turned their skin blue - I am not sure what caused their glowing red eyes, though, but environmental changes to the planet forced them to live underground for a long time (the originally tropical planet is going through a rather severe ice age)... Eh, yes I'm a fan. :D

Don't pay attention to my sig, my favorites are all Chiss. (I have one of each class as a Chiss, and used my extra four slots to make other races, some of which are presented in my sig.)

I agree with Sammy, by the way. I have tried playing male characters, but I can't get very far with them. I just don't have any resonance/chemistry with them - it feels awkward. Disgusting might not be the word I'd use to describe the sensation... It just feels wrong. (Which is kind of strange, as my first ever pencil and paper RPG character was a male paladin, many of my earliest characters were male, and it wasn't until I came out to myself that I started to play only female characters. Not quite sure what that says about me!)

I'd like to point out that, as Mass Effect was made by Bioware, they own the copyright to it already.

True, very true. I thought of that but they're different studios and even if there's no legal issues (I expect there wouldn't be) I wonder to myself if it might cause interdepartmental stresses. I can imagine it might. The people who developed the asari might well be a little annoyed if someone went, 'Hey, we're going to give these gals a facelift and transplant them into Star Wars, yo.'

Not quite sure what that says about me!

That you're you. Human sexuality is fluid and gender identity certainly is too. It feels more natural to you now to play only females; that's just how you roll, and that's cool. Maybe that'll change in the future. Maybe it won't. probably no point over-analysing it either way.

True, very true. I thought of that but they're different studios and even if there's no legal issues (I expect there wouldn't be) I wonder to myself if it might cause interdepartmental stresses. I can imagine it might. The people who developed the asari might well be a little annoyed if someone went, 'Hey, we're going to give these gals a facelift and transplant them into Star Wars, yo.'

Not to mention the possibility of muddying the IP waters by obviously mixing something from another source into Star Wars. Imagine the outrage from the hardcore Star Wars purists.

Sad that Ashara is the only female companion for SI.

Oh, I don't know... to me she'd make a great SGR LI. I find her sweet, and I'd definitely enjoy a romance with her ! It doesn't hurt that she's pretty, either.

Edited by markcymru

Not to mention the possibility of muddying the IP waters by obviously mixing something from another source into Star Wars. Imagine the outrage from the hardcore Star Wars purists.

Well, given there's several different forms of accepted Star Wars canon and the MMO itself fits firmly into the Expanded Universe portion of it I'd suggest the hardcore purists should probably not be playing. Or, even better, should relax their concepts of what is and isn't 'canon'.

Well, given there's several different forms of accepted Star Wars canon and the MMO itself fits firmly into the Expanded Universe portion of it I'd suggest the hardcore purists should probably not be playing. Or, even better, should relax their concepts of what is and isn't 'canon'.

Oh, I'm mostly thinking of reactions along the lines of "Why are you getting your Star Trek in my Star Wars? Stop it!" silliness. Anyway, time for work, laters!

You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).

Nadia's been on your ship since the start of Chapter 2. It takes time to go through hyperspace, shuttle planetside, move from area to area and so on. These downtimes don't make for good MMO play, so they are left out.

As I saw it, my character had been talking and bonding with Nadia since the start of Chapter 2, even if it didn't happen on screen. So, by the time I'm done with Belsavis, Nadia and he already had something of a friendly relationship. When she joins up permanently, though, they spend even more time together, and something more is built there.

That romance seems rushed because of how late she becomes an actual companion. But, in actuality, the two characters had met long before her companion status became official. These story arcs don't take days of game time. They take months, possibly a couple of years. There's a lot we don't see that we have to fill in with our imaginations.

While BW may own Asari, I believe putting the race into Star Wars would make them a SW property that all could use inthe EU.

Or, fight to keep the canon/lore intact, since they came to MMO for the love of the IP?

Still, bad idea to mix the IP properties, but they could give a race that is like the Asari and make it for SW while being a nod to the Asari.

Or, fight to keep the canon/lore intact, since they came to MMO for the love of the IP?

Seems little point, given that the entire MMO and everything in it deviates from original movie canon. It's not their fight to fight. EA/Bioware has the right to deviate from the movie canon. They literally paid for those rights.

Besides, fight to keep which canon/lore intact? Unlike most universes Star Wars keeps track of as much of the different forms of canon lore as it can (in a big database they apparently call 'the Holocron'). There's more than one form of valid canon lore for Star Wars, and people coming into SWTOR claiming it should stick faithfully and unfailingly to the movie lore are actually fighting against the valid EU lore.

I mean, I'm cool with people making constructive criticism about changes. That's entirely fine. But taking the party-line that the writers don't actually have the right to do so seems to be missing the point a bit.

Still, bad idea to mix the IP properties, but they could give a race that is like the Asari and make it for SW while being a nod to the Asari.

They could. I don't personally think they need to. There's so much in the way of unused species in Star Wars lore that they could be releasing several a year for over a decade and not need to worry about running out. I'd expect to see Zeltron before Star Wars-ified asari, in any case.

Seems little point, given that the entire MMO and everything in it deviates from original movie canon. It's not their fight to fight. EA/Bioware has the right to deviate from the movie canon. They literally paid for those rights.

Besides, fight to keep which canon/lore intact? Unlike most universes Star Wars keeps track of as much of the different forms of canon lore as it can (in a big database they apparently call 'the Holocron'). There's more than one form of valid canon lore for Star Wars, and people coming into SWTOR claiming it should stick faithfully and unfailingly to the movie lore are actually fighting against the valid EU lore.

I mean, I'm cool with people making constructive criticism about changes. That's entirely fine. But taking the party-line that the writers don't actually have the right to do so seems to be missing the point a bit.

They could. I don't personally think they need to. There's so much in the way of unused species in Star Wars lore that they could be releasing several a year for over a decade and not need to worry about running out. I'd expect to see Zeltron before Star Wars-ified asari, in any case.

I meant the players. And you're right, trying to keep to canon is going to be hard, because the EU messes it up so much it's not funny, and the movie prequals went and added to it. Basically it comes down to the same thing this thread does...fight for what you'd like to see in the game and what you think shouldn't be.

I'd like to see the return to Star Wars canon of "OMG THEY HAVE A LIGHTSABER AND KNOW HOW TO ACTUALLY WEILD IT! RUN!" or in other words, Light Sabers as a real threat. :p

Zeltron and Echanti...how i keep hoping. :)

(Which is kind of strange, as my first ever pencil and paper RPG character was a male paladin, many of my earliest characters were male, and it wasn't until I came out to myself that I started to play only female characters. Not quite sure what that says about me!)

I was the same way...maybe it's a thing XD

With earlier RP games, I also played male to romance the female characters ( I guess it was okay with me then b/c it was still a heterosexual relationship). I'm not really interested in doing that anymore.

You realize the character is not you, right (not so sure, judging by your sig)?
Of COURSE, that's a ridiculous question to even ask. You're basically insinuating that I have a psychological inability to discern between real life and a game. How would you feel if I started to call your sanity into question simply because of the preferences you have?

You're not being forced to romance anyone or have to cross dress to play the game right?
Correct. I think any person with the intelligence of a shoe knows that they don't have a gun held to their head. So I'm not sure where you're going with something that even an amoeba can understand.

You make a character, pick what they look like, then play the character (is this your first mmo?)
My seventh actually. And before that I've roleplayed since the eighties. So if anybody is going to educate anybody about what roleplaying is like, I won't be on the receiving end.

Samy_Merchi isn't saying 'all men are disgusting' or 'all men are lesser creatures', nor anything of the sort. She's saying that she finds male characters disgusting (presumably due to a very strong personal preference), or at least the ones she tried to make with the SWTOR character builder.
More or less precisely this. There's a difference between *characters* I find disgusting and *people* I find disgusting (which I don't). To go back to SithKoriandr's insinuation, the difference between game and real life, it is important to remember to discern it.

To be even more precise, actually, I would amend my statement to read, I find male characters (note how we're talking about characters still, not people) disgusting *to play*. I don't necessarily find interacting with male characters uncomfortable, I have no problem scening with Corso or Jorgan or whatever, but pretending to be one makes me very uncomfortable -- essentially, the feeling of being forced to cross-dress. That is the feeling I find disgusting, having to wear the skin of a gender I don't like to play. Not the gender itself. It would be silly.

Of COURSE, that's a ridiculous question to even ask. You're basically insinuating that I have a psychological inability to discern between real life and a game. How would you feel if I started to call your sanity into question simply because of the preferences you have?

Correct. I think any person with the intelligence of a shoe knows that they don't have a gun held to their head. So I'm not sure where you're going with something that even an amoeba can understand.

My seventh actually. And before that I've roleplayed since the eighties. So if anybody is going to educate anybody about what roleplaying is like, I won't be on the receiving end.

More or less precisely this. There's a difference between *characters* I find disgusting and *people* I find disgusting (which I don't). To go back to SithKoriandr's insinuation, the difference between game and real life, it is important to remember to discern it.

To be even more precise, actually, I would amend my statement to read, I find male characters (note how we're talking about characters still, not people) disgusting *to play*. I don't necessarily find interacting with male characters uncomfortable, I have no problem scening with Corso or Jorgan or whatever, but pretending to be one makes me very uncomfortable -- essentially, the feeling of being forced to cross-dress. That is the feeling I find disgusting, having to wear the skin of a gender I don't like to play. Not the gender itself. It would be silly.

Like I said. I was basing it purely off your post and your sig. You're not cross dressing when you pick an avatar that is different than your RL gender. In no way questioned anyone's sanity on preferences. But when people start saying the avatar and them are the same thing, I do question it.

Also, you're not the only one who's RPed since the 80s. Late 80's count as 80's right? :p

And if this is your 7th MMO, tell me, what's the difference between this MMO and any of the others from a game mechanic really? Go to point A head to point B, kill things by pressing buttons, move on.

Do the same thing here. Just like you did in the previous MMOs. Role a female character and play the game. Since you seem to put a lot of who you are in RL into your character, then play it as longing for the unrequited love (a valid RP storyline and a real life experience I don't think anyone's ever not experienced).

But still, you're not being forced to play a hetrosexual or a cross dresser.

I understand it and I get it and you would make a very good politician aswell. I know what I read. I actually wanted to bring up Marriage i.e ceremony,ring and or Rp tools between players and I get reverse discrimination instead. I feel more Rp style relationship tools would be fun to toy with and would open it up to the next level for all peeps.

Except there's nothing there for the people who enjoy the stories and the acting of the current romances. Bioware are excellent character writers, there's no way an RP'ed relationship is going to come close to that. RP'ing is best left to PnP games.

You're not cross dressing when you pick an avatar that is different than your RL gender.
Of course I'm not. Cross dressing involves actually putting on the opposite gender's clothes in real life. What I said is it makes me FEEL LIKE cross dressing, which was meant to convey the sensation that it makes me feel very uncomfortable, but for some reason this doesn't seem to penetrate.

In no way questioned anyone's sanity on preferences. But when people start saying the avatar and them are the same thing, I do question it.
.In no way you questioned anyone's sanity. Then in the very next sentence, you do question it. Do please make up your mind.

And if this is your 7th MMO, tell me, what's the difference between this MMO and any of the others from a game mechanic really?
Ability to make dialogue choices, ability to build affection with companions. And yes, those are game mechanics because they involve you making choices in pursuit of some reward, as opposed to something like passive cutscenes which are there just for aesthetic pleasure.

Do the same thing here. Just like you did in the previous MMOs.
Why do you think they are *previous* MMOs? BECAUSE THAT LEVEL OF ENGAGEMENT ISN'T SUFFICIENT FOR ME. That's why I came to SWTOR over the previous ones. If SWTOR can only offer the same crap as the previous MMOs, why play it in the first place?

Role a female character and play the game. Since you seem to put a lot of who you are in RL into your character, then play it as longing for the unrequited love (a valid RP storyline and a real life experience I don't think anyone's ever not experienced).
If I want to actually have a romance in game, that's hardly an option.

But still, you're not being forced to play a hetrosexual or a cross dresser.
If I want to actually have a romance, I am forced to play a heterosexual, yes.

Of course I'm not. Cross dressing involves actually putting on the opposite gender's clothes in real life. What I said is it makes me FEEL LIKE cross dressing, which was meant to convey the sensation that it makes me feel very uncomfortable, but for some reason this doesn't seem to penetrate.

In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

I don't see the "feel like" in this sentence.

.In no way you questioned anyone's sanity. Then in the very next sentence, you do question it. Do please make up your mind.

Ability to make dialogue choices, ability to build affection with companions. And yes, those are game mechanics because they involve you making choices in pursuit of some reward, as opposed to something like passive cutscenes which are there just for aesthetic pleasure.

Why do you think they are *previous* MMOs? BECAUSE THAT LEVEL OF ENGAGEMENT ISN'T SUFFICIENT FOR ME. That's why I came to SWTOR over the previous ones. If SWTOR can only offer the same crap as the previous MMOs, why play it in the first place?

If I want to actually have a romance in game, that's hardly an option.

If I want to actually have a romance, I am forced to play a heterosexual, yes.

Hmmm...it's been awhile, but didn't TERA have some dialogue choices, just not romance options? I really don't remember now. I seem to recall some MMO with dialogue choices, but no "lets have a dating dim mini game" in it.

I don't know though. I wouldn't call TOR's level of engagement any better than the others. I enjoy the fun of them, but I wouldn't say it's the be all end all of TOR. In fact, if that's the only thing that keeps anyone here, I wonder how they make it to Chapter 3 to even get that option, as boring game play is what had me get a max level in CO and then stop.

Also, its your character who's forced to be hetrosexual (untill Makeb) not you. Again, back toyour sig. :p

It'll be discussed until it's no longer an issue. Seeing as how it's still not in the game, that means it's still an issue. I don't hear you saying the same thing to the damn chat bubble crowd. Go whine to them.

We already know SGR is coming in Makeb. That's been answered.

What we don't know is if companion romances will be with current or new NPCs. I got the impression they're coming at some point, but no impression on how they plan to implement it (current or new).

In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

I don't see the "feel like" in this sentence.

Are you trying to tell me that you interpreted that as me saying that I was forced to literally crossdress in front of my computer in real life?

Really?

Hmmm...it's been awhile, but didn't TERA have some dialogue choices, just not romance options? I really don't remember now. I seem to recall some MMO with dialogue choices, but no "lets have a dating dim mini game" in it.

Exactly. TOR is the best MMO in this regard by far.

I don't know though. I wouldn't call TOR's level of engagement any better than the others.
Well, that's probably because you sound like you don't care much about the dialogue/romance aspect. For those of us who love it, the level of engagement is VASTLY better than the others.

Best species in all of SWTOR. :cool: They're actually a near-human race that are essentially a "recent" evolutionary branch of humankind (in the Star Wars universe) - their colouring occurred due to their isolation on Csilla. A mineral in that environment turned their skin blue - I am not sure what caused their glowing red eyes, though, but environmental changes to the planet forced them to live underground for a long time (the originally tropical planet is going through a rather severe ice age)... Eh, yes I'm a fan. :D

Don't pay attention to my sig, my favorites are all Chiss. (I have one of each class as a Chiss, and used my extra four slots to make other races, some of which are presented in my sig.)

+1

Much love for Chiss :D The segregation of EU and canon really pains me, as I'd love to see them turn up in other productions.

I agree with Sammy, by the way. I have tried playing male characters, but I can't get very far with them. I just don't have any resonance/chemistry with them - it feels awkward. Disgusting might not be the word I'd use to describe the sensation... It just feels wrong. (Which is kind of strange, as my first ever pencil and paper RPG character was a male paladin, many of my earliest characters were male, and it wasn't until I came out to myself that I started to play only female characters. Not quite sure what that says about me!)

I find it fascinating how different people react to playing avatars. Personally, as a female I tend to have a hard time playing female characters. I've always felt more at home role playing as male, even as a little kid (which earned me a lot of anger and ostracism from girls). I can play female characters, if they have just right kind of attitude. I really like my fem mercenary, probably because she's not incredibly, stereotypically feminine. But usually playing female characters feels awkward, wrong, like you described. Also not sure what that says about me.

+1

Much love for Chiss :D The segregation of EU and canon really pains me, as I'd love to see them turn up in other productions.

Me too. :)

I find it fascinating how different people react to playing avatars. Personally, as a female I tend to have a hard time playing female characters. I've always felt more at home role playing as male, even as a little kid (which earned me a lot of anger and ostracism from girls). I can play female characters, if they have just right kind of attitude. I really like my fem mercenary, probably because she's not incredibly, stereotypically feminine. But usually playing female characters feels awkward, wrong, like you described. Also not sure what that says about me.

Oddly enough, I can relate to that experience. I actually have the same difficulty playing femme females as I have playing male characters as well. My characters do all tend to be of a type, which I suppose shows my limitation as an RPer.