e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism - DEFINED

dscount

Since we see this term so often I just wanted to post the meaning.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.

b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

So those that truly believe all other players should obtain BiS from doing HM OPS's only like them would fall into this definition?

I use the references made in PTS to support what I've seen:

• Those "not intelligent enough to clear content"
  • Those "that need to L2P (Learn to Play) or don't get the gear"
  • Those "unable to clear content shouldn't have that gear"
  • Those that should have to "earn it the same way and not just purchase from GTN"

I'm not trying to be PRO anyone here and I'm sure all those will say I'm just QQ'ing. (Not that I care - you will anyways).

The jest of the matter is this is a community game and everyone has a different play style, economic resources (RL and Game), dedication, ability to function in teams, understanding of MMO's and ability to play with others. Meaning that nobody should be telling people how they should obtain gear, but instead allowing them to play in the means in which they are comfortable. Yes argue all you want about "Not Raiding = Not needing Gear" is a smoke screen and maybe that person wants BiS to run FP HM's and nothing else? Again.. nobody should be telling anyone how to play or gear themselves.

Me personally.. I like both sides. Raiding for sheer fun and mostly the Pets/Mounts, but I buy gear as needed due to the min/max and I've got the finanical means (In game only). I've several ALT's and I don't plan on running them all thru S&V HM for months on end to fully gear them at the current setup. I'll concentrate on my favorite and play the waiting game for Schematics to open up or price for 30's to come down onces they start selling.

you know that scene out of DIE HARD, where he wears that shield in harlem? You are excactly in his position :rolleyes:

btw, I'm pro elitism, I'm pro best gear only through hardest things (happy about not craftable), I'm pro to have goals which I have to work for.

Elitism in SWTOR.

1. Queuing non ranked warzones with 2 tanks, 2 heals and a carnage marauder for group sprint, dodging ranked, and playing teams with all dps classes without voice com.

2. Above player says this is balanced and fun.

That's not elitism. That's stacking the odds in your favour.

A better example of elitism would be saying "NiM Kephess is a joke and that if you don't have the Warstalker title, you must be bad at TOR."

Elitism is an attitude, not deciding that you'll twink or group up for easy wins.

Edited by AshlaBoga

you know that scene out of DIE HARD, where he wears that shield in harlem? You are excactly in his position :rolleyes:

btw, I'm pro elitism, I'm pro best gear only through hardest things (happy about not craftable), I'm pro to have goals which I have to work for.

I knew the minute I posted this I was going to be wearing a sign. Am I sorry about stating the obvious? NOPE! :D

you are complaining about having to do content to get gear from said content?

maybe you should look up the word "entitlement" while youre derping around in the dictionary

Umm.. Was I complaining? NOPE! Read the post again - you obviously didn't get the point. I enjoy raiding and totally can't wait for S&V to go live. Nice try! Please go back and READ the posting and maybe look in the mirror?

erm... PTS feedback forum so most pointless thread ever? im also pleased you cant buy/craft best gear anymore. People should be proud to have it and earn it not bloody buy it. verdict on making in uncraftable? WELL DONE.

Not really. I'm bringing up a valid point in the PTS forums as I've seen and heard repeatedly on them the most. Lots of hostile voices on both sides of the fence. (I got lucky and only Cash was the only one posting smack and the rest so far have been reasonable). It's a game played by many different personalities and playing styles. Bioware needs to keep it balanced in some fashion for everyone to enjoy and at the same time address the hardcore raiders who gobble up content.

I'd REALLY rather see BW fix it completely and let us purchase components with Elite Comms (Piece by piece w/o Set Bonus). Have a trade in program like WZ>RWZ comms for Elite/Utlimate Comms so we don't get shafted with crappy stats on the gear that does drop. Then those that EARN the stuff the old fashioned way (Doing ALL the content) get the set bonus gear, those w/o at least get the gear even slower paced just like PVP has to earn them.

Edited by dscount

if you are not complaining, why make this post?

this game has catered to the super-casual more than enough. if you want the new gear, do the new content. it is as simple as that.

if a person does not like grouping or doing group content, they have the completely wrong genre of game.

Pro elitism, what a ridiculous sentiment.

By that standard I deem you unworthy of even playing videogames since you aren't Bill Gates. Get monies, noob.

PS. Or you could just get talent instead of gear and you'll actually have achieved something besides having more free time than everyone else.

Edited by JP_Legatus

The problem with this entire argument is that it really isn't up to the individual player as to whether or not he can obtain this gear because to get it you must group with at least 7 other people.

I could be the best raider in the entire world and if I'm stuck with 7 other tards, I'm out of luck. Being a successful raider is about who you know more than any kind of real skill. This is the real and true issue. Not just anybody can go into a raid and obtain gear, you HAVE to either pub, which normally ends in sadness in HM raids or you have to find someway to get into a good guild and hope their Elitism doesn't keep you from being able to join in on raids.

Many of the guilds I've been in won't even let lower geared players run the raids because the leaders want to win. I get that and I'm not mad about it. Not all guilds are like that after all. But this is still the barrier. Hell, if fighting the hardest content in the game could be done alone or with 2 or 3 people, the odds of everyone being able to enjoy the content would be far more fair.

So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have, whether the average Joe earned it or not because then Elite Gaming guilds wouldn't feel so elite.

Edited by Elfa

So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have, whether the average Joe earned it or not because then Elite Gaming guilds wouldn't feel so elite.

While I don't discount any experience you may have had along this line, I just haven't seen it.

I've never been part of an "elite raiding guild." I've never been even remotely close to those "server first" raiders, and I've generally been a part of groups that are more friends than they are any sort of "super hardcore"

The reason my friends and I keep playing end-game content is for the challenge and for the camaraderie. The reason I'm in favor of some of the changes Bioware is doing (can't RE 72 gear) is because it will increase the challenge of the game for myself and my friends. I think it is good for the game.

It's not about squashing other people. It's about challenging ourselves. When you say something like "So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have" it just sounds like whinging to me.

Your statement doesn't apply to any of the people I know.

if you are not complaining, why make this post?

this game has catered to the super-casual more than enough. if you want the new gear, do the new content. it is as simple as that.

if a person does not like grouping or doing group content, they have the completely wrong genre of game.

Actually, it's the game which doesn't cope with most of its player base, but most of it simply approve anything, explicitly or implicitly.

Look closely, you'll see way more than just brainless raiders in SWTOR, and some raiders having alts already understood even for them this is just totally wrong. MONTHS farming the same 2 instances with the same 7/15 other players isn't a game anymore, and when you have to do the same on multiple toons it's even worse.

As an altaholic crafter with a massive time investment inside the game, this is the absolute wrong direction, but the game started with flaws and some of them are now hardly fixable. What this will cause is a massive unsub of half-geared toons waiting for the next patch to bring them to top tier gear in no time, then again the same thing unless a different approach is taken in the meantime. Subscribers need to keep their subs running, not unsub/resub each new content patch.

While I don't discount any experience you may have had along this line, I just haven't seen it.

I've never been part of an "elite raiding guild." I've never been even remotely close to those "server first" raiders, and I've generally been a part of groups that are more friends than they are any sort of "super hardcore"

The reason my friends and I keep playing end-game content is for the challenge and for the camaraderie. The reason I'm in favor of some of the changes Bioware is doing (can't RE 72 gear) is because it will increase the challenge of the game for myself and my friends. I think it is good for the game.

It's not about squashing other people. It's about challenging ourselves. When you say something like "So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have" it just sounds like whinging to me.

Your statement doesn't apply to any of the people I know.

How challenging content is, also has nothing to do with what the rewards are.

How challenging content is, also has nothing to do with what the rewards are.

The challenge I was referring to, is actually running the content in 69 gear, as designed.

This has the side benefit, of when 72 gear drops in the raid, everyone is excited to roll on it, as opposed to "meh I already haz a gear"

Everyone likes Teh New Shiney. Everyone likes to beat the bad guys. If you're having a hard time, you have three choices:

1. Get better gear.

2. Become a better player.

3. Get a better team.

There were may times during HM TfB and NM EC that my group was having troubles and so kept buying and/or crafting 63 gear to help us overcome obstacles. Had that not been available, we would have had to work harder to actually beat the content.

I think this is a good thing (the working harder part).

A number of your posts deride those in favor of non-craftable 72s as "it's all about the elite trying to prevent the non-elite from having stuff". I just don't see that. And it especially doesn't hold water for any of the people I raid with.

Edited by Khevar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
if you are not complaining, why make this post?.

Is this our reason for communication. I think the post was a reminder we ALL need to remember that if something rubs us the wrong way it may be our perception of the issues not those that are involved.

But if I see one more idiot that was always last picked for a sports team point out somebody's spelling error or God forbid spell everything in blue on a brown background, I will remind you that I am a subscriber and will threaten to leave like the bizillions before me.