A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

You're telling me to quit because I don't find grinding daily missions "fun"? And no...you do not make 400-600k from a run. Not even close.

Yes, yes you do.

Go do it, we'll wait.

No one finds grinding fun, but go with a group, listen to music, it passes the time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There can be reasons out of a person's control they are dying. I used to die more than I do now. The major reason was my computer lagged a lot. Some people don't have the luxury of being able to purchase a new computer like I did so this is something beyond their control.

We can't blame the person who is dying more than someone else without looking at the reasons. If you lag your actions are slowed down.

If we are to change the game according to the fact, that some people have slow computers, we should make the game turn based or so slow, people with good computers will find it it terribly boring to play, because enemies pose much less threat than before.

Truth but he/she was replying to my posts and I mentioned the bugs.

Also I don't see a good justification for this. No one is asking for free flying ponies, people don't like the change, the change isn't beneficial to the game and no one requested it. So I ask again, why not get rid of it?

So what you are saying is hey devs this is our game, we make the rules, put what we want into the game or we will quit.

And the devs will say.

This is our game. We will do what we want with our game. So go ahead and quit.

If you really don't think they think like that then I don't know what to tell you. "Take away something that makes me spend money." That's asking for a handout.

And as I said I've been paying 40-50k repair bills, so it didn't effect me as it is others. But guess what? Whenever someone said "Oh my repair bill was 8k." After whiping TFB HM 20 times and mine was 80-100. That annoyed me but I chose to enjoy the game and keep making money. And I just saw more dailies are the bane of existance... Well go read my initial post please.

Moreover, we came to consensus, that higher cost of a failure across-the-board makes us want to perform better.

If that's what you're crew needs to motivate them to play better, great. It's disincentive to many more though.

I get it, reading is hard, so I'll write what the patch notes said for you.

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

It doesn't specify modable gear but it mentions enhancements add to the price now too.

You can augment any gear (except the matrix shard)

I know its a broad statement, but its not as simple as saying "MODABLE GEAR ONLY"

What about your people who have seen no increase at all? People in this topic who claim to Raid. Are you telling me there are people in progression guilds not getting augs for their characters? Because if they had augs their repairs bills weren't correct and now they should be, but they haven't changed. You really should take a minute before you post.

Also my other question, why keep this if the community is largely opposed to it.

I have 5 moddable items. I just went to solo an H4 on my now Lvl 41 scoundrel. Died twice and it cost me 3898 credits. Guess what I picked up greys/greens/credits amounting to over 20k (at vendor) so no this does not impact levelling at all.

If that's what you're crew needs to motivate them to play better, great. It's disincentive to many more though.

again this change hurts people who run progression the most

story mode ops are easy

hard mode flashpoints are easy

if you find yourself consistently dieing in these, there is a problem, even with a casual in the group, it's not hard to complete these, even with people running completely wrong specs, it's not hard to complete these at all.

Hell i had a guildie running powertech dps for a SM KP that was never even in melee range, meaning he wasn't doing his rotation properly. there is a LOT of leeway for casuals

Yes you do, there needs to be some penalty to death other then a wipe

Well I tend to disagree with you from a game design point of view, but that is besides the point.

Putting this back to the larger conversation, I saw no indication that people were not being sufficiently disincentivized from dying prior to this change. And increasing said penalty is a large enough design decision that quite a bit of testing should have gone into testing its ramifications.

What about your people who have seen no increase at all? People in this topic who claim to Raid. Are you telling me there are people in progression guilds not getting augs for their characters? Because if they had augs their repairs bills weren't correct and now they should be, but they haven't changed. You really should take a minute before you post.

Also my other question, why keep this if the community is largely opposed to it.

No, the community isn't largely opposed to this. Nor are they largely for this.

Us few arguing aren't the large community. There are quite a numerous number of people who generally don't care.

Do you see them on the forum? do you see them complaining in game? or did they just realize, "oh, its more, guess I gotta get a few more credits" and just continue playing.

They adapted.

Let me rephrase: "This didn't affect me, so I don't care what it does to everyone else." Awesome. :rolleyes:

EXACTLY! Selfish attitudes of players who fail to see the bigger picture. This impacts the game NEGATIVELY. There's NO positive to this change.

Im in columi gear and was doing hte event when i was flagged by the Aoe exploit.

i was then ganked and my repair bill was like 30k!!!! what!! for one death, that was a pvp death when someone ganked me during a champ fight, I got punished by that much.

**(Main Point)**

I believe that this is some attempt to get us to buy cartel items and sell them on GTN, making them money, so that we can continue to enjoy our game.

So what you are saying is hey devs this is our game, we make the rules, put what we want into the game or we will quit.

And the devs will say.

This is our game. We will do what we want with our game. So go ahead and quit.

If you really don't think they think like that then I don't know what to tell you. "Take away something that makes me spend money." That's asking for a handout.

And as I said I've been paying 40-50k repair bills, so it didn't effect me as it is others. But guess what? Whenever someone said "Oh my repair bill was 8k." After whiping TFB HM 20 times and mine was 80-100. That annoyed me but I chose to enjoy the game and keep making money. And I just saw more dailies are the bane of existance... Well go read my initial post please.

If it were me standing up, banging on a table, by myself, demanding a change be made, then yes your statement would make a lot of sense. Thing is, it's not just me, the reaction so far has been overwhelmingly negative. why keep it? being stubborn is great way to lose business in a crowded market.

How about you quit being a jerk? Your insults and condescending attitude are not appreciated here, or anywhere.

I do work. I have 3 jobs already. This is my leasure time activity. I run BH and section X twice a week, once each on 2 different chars for comms and cash. And I progression raid because that is the only challenge I find in this game. And progression raiding is NOT a job contrary to your beliefs.

All of my spare money I funnel back into my guild and keeping the guild stocked with stims and other consumables for raiding. As such my companions are generally tasked with gather mats and/or making consumables for my guild, so I can't gain money doing crew skills. My repair costs went up 2.5 times on Tuesday and I can't continue to do raid regularly and keep making stims for the guild because it's too cost prohibitive to do both with my limited time. Looking at what my repair costs are now I will have to do dailies an equal amount of time that I spend raiding just to afford my repair costs alone. That doesn't count consumable production costs just for me, much less my guildies. Any leasure/fun activity should not require equal amounts of boring, mindless grinding compared to the actual fun parts.

I understand that it's an MMO and some grind is to be expected. I do not want or ask for a handout. I want the fun ratio to be readjusted back to where it was for me and most other people. It used to be around 10-15% grind the rest fun, at least for me. Now it's closer to 60% grind, 40% fun. And if you are not having fun the majority of the time doing a "fun" activity, then there is no point in doing it. And that's where most casual players are. This change makes the game more grind than game, and that's the core of the problem. A number of people due to their current wealth, their guilds wealth or whatever,can afford it and that's fine for them. But they are the minority. For the majority it makes the game less fun for them. And anything that makes it less fun for the vast majority of players is not a good thing and needs to be adjusted.

You need a better way of running your guild instead of you stocking everything then. (Not trying to be harsh.) My entire guild pitches in 100k per week per person into the guild bank. We drop every stim/mat that is excess into the guild bank as well as low lvl gear for others. I put a lot into helping the guild out but my crew skills still make me over amounts of money.

I'm in the category of 3 above - credit poor - and now have to run dalies just to afford to play the parts of the game I enjoy.

Following this logic, we should make Nightmare mode have lower experience threshold, because somebody likes to do Nightmare modes, but doesn't want to spend time on that in order to do something he enjoys.

You can do story or hard mode content, if you wipe too much in Nightmare, which causes you to spend more money, than you get without doing daily quests.

The argument boils down to the fact, that whether Nightmare mode should require people put effort into preparation or we should have no such requirement for Nightmare mode and allow people who log only just for ops be able to sustain his wealth.

Actually inflation is the minus side. Again, repair costs are what are typically known as a gold sink. Without such sinks in the game, players who have more time to play and farm will begin to accrue a much larger sum of in game currency than the casual player. As a result, the player-driven costs of items is driven up as only those players are the ones paying the higher prices for those items. As a result, more and more items become unreachable for the casual player because they simply cannot make as much money in the same amount of time.

Hey that's my line (except for the quitting part)!

BJ

Yes, to quote myself from several posts previous:

I disagree.

Cash sinks exist to offset cash creation due to mechanics. I.E. they make the economy balance out so there isn't hyperinflation.

That is the only reason they exist in games. Because you can create money (through killing things/etc) there has to be a place money is destroyed. That can be through buying skills, legacy unlocks or the like.

The only reason to increase a cash sink is if there is an in balance in the in game economy and you start seeing hyperinflation. (i.e. people having enough disposable income that even basic goods go for a lot of money) As far as I can tell from monitoring the GTN, no such imbalance currently exists. Hence why a change of this nature is completely unnecessary.

In fact eliminating the dailies entirely would lessen the need for repair costs as there would be less credit faucets.

But basically there to my knowledge has been no sign of increased inflation to cause a need to increase the cash sinks. Certainly not to the extent that this change seems to inadvertently done.

EXACTLY! Selfish attitudes of players who fail to see the bigger picture. This impacts the game NEGATIVELY. There's NO positive to this change.

the only negative to it is that people have to run dailies, it's not that big of a deal. you are making much more of a deal out of it then you should be.

Done with this thread QQ'ers are most likely going to win out in the end anyways as they typically do. Who knows eventually you QQ'ers and people who want it easier will get this game to the same state that WoW is in, where you don't even buy your skills anymore, they are automatically awarded to you upon leveling up,

We evolve or we die - kai leng.

There I said it again.

If you can't adapt to the situation, stop playing. Stop leaving the fleet.

Infact, don't log in if the big bad monster is going to hurt poor wittle tux.

Personal attacks for a differing opinion huh?! Classy. That sells your point well.

No, the community isn't largely opposed to this. Nor are they largely for this.

Us few arguing aren't the large community. There are quite a numerous number of people who generally don't care.

Do you see them on the forum? do you see them complaining in game? or did they just realize, "oh, its more, guess I gotta get a few more credits" and just continue playing.

They adapted.

So you decided to ignore a sample and that's supposed to make a convincing argument? your thinking may need some adapting, or is it evolving, I'm not sure which one you wanted to use this time.

They're hell-bent to push people out of the game. Not worth arguing over.

I have yet to see one reasonable answer to the reasonable question one would expect an active supporter to be able to answer: How does this change BENEFIT the game?

There seem to be a lot of drawbacks to the change:

• Fewer flashpoints being run
  • Fewer operations being run
  • Fewer risks being taken overall
  • People unsubscribing

So, supporters, please, tell me what great BENEFIT to the game comes from this change that overcomes all those drawbacks.

Personal attacks for a differing opinion huh?! Classy. That sells your point well.

What personal attack?

I'm just explaining the truth.

Over-generalizing much?

It's okay tux, I'll protect you and your armor from being scratched.

the only negative to it is that people have to run dailies, it's not that big of a deal. you are making much more of a deal out of it then you should be.

Done with this thread QQ'ers are most likely going to win out in the end anyways as they typically do. Who knows eventually you QQ'ers and people who want it easier will get this game to the same state that WoW is in, where you don't even buy your skills anymore, they are automatically awarded to you upon leveling up,

I've been saying this the entire time that you don't even need to run dailies. You just need to be smart about what you are putting in to what you are putting out. But everyone just wants it easy >.>

Funny thing is, about half of you spent the amount of time arguing on the forums and on other threads when you could of been in game, running the dailies, and being fine.

Unless we're not at home where we could play the game, but please don't allow reality from interferring with your faulty assumptions. You're doing so well with them.

Edited by iamthehoyden