Can I turn off level shift?

Falconfury

You know what else discourages high-level characters from going to low-level worlds to gank people? Playing in a PVE zone.

What if pvp players want to play with people around their own level on a fair playing field? If someone is a low level PVPer and wants to do that with other low levels they should be able to enjoy the experience without some level 65 dude coming and killing them.

The game should be fun and fair for people of all levels. Ruining someone else's enjoyment isn't okay, it's mean. If you want to do pvp you should be doing it with players of your own level not by bullying others.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. It discourages strong players from traveling to low level planets just to gank people. It was a problem before level shifting and seems much less prevalent now.

Tell me the truth.

How many times did you personally experience getting ganked by a high level player? (Hearsay doesn't count)

Edited by Khevar

You don't speak for me and you certainly don't speak for everyone.

I think it was a great move and boo-freaking-hoo to the people that can't bear 2-shotting things instead of 1-shotting things and if this is all it takes for them to quit and forget about 99.993% of the rest of the game then I fell so sorry for them.

It was a great move, it was an act of desperation. Imagine the game wouldnt get level sync, we would be lvl 65 and everything else apart from KOTFE would be 60 and below!! The game would die since there would be nothing to do since Bioware can provide updates like other games, just story.

Sure, it saved the game from dying, but at least provide an option to turn it off, its very very easy, there were even bugs at start that allowed ppl to bypass it. So making a turn off option would be a piece of cake!! They would at least see how many would turn it off and how many not!!! GIVE US A CHOICE Bioware!! They matter!!!

This thing is exactly the reason why I stopped playing Guildwars 2. All lowlevel mobs took ages to kill, which is ridiculous when you are supposed to be immensely more powerful than them.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about here, either for SWTOR or for GW2(1).

If lowbie mobs (except World Bosses) are hard to kill for your high-level character, you are Doing It Wrong.

(1) My first "production" GW2 character was created less than five minutes after the servers opened.

What if pvp players want to play with people around their own level on a fair playing field?

They should find a game that supports it. Neither Level Sync in OWPVP or the Bolster in WZs truly give a "fair" playing field. Level Sync (from what I've heard) doesn't sync tertiary abilities, and neither Level Sync nor Bolster eliminate higher level skills (or set bonuses or utilities). Try running some of the higher level tactical FPs with an all lowbie group Bolstered to level 65.

Furthermore, level sync doesn't do anything to prevent unfair match ups like one side outnumbering the other or players using companions (and not sure how level sync interacts with companion bonuses from presence).

OWPVP has always been a risk -- but other than 2012 (when PVP server populations were high enough to support gank squads, the main ganking areas were generally in areas at (or within a few levels of) level cap (Oricon, CZ-198, Yavin, Gree PVP, etc.). Yes, the Rakghoul event got a lot of grief, but most of the time (that I was on, at least) high level teams from the other faction would fight the "gankers". You know, actual OWPVP.

Level synch doesn't necessarily prohibit fps solo'ed, it only increases difficulty.

Also, not all flashpoints have level synch. Kaon and Lost Island sm for example are not scaled and still drop the old cosmetic great. (Although it's probably an oversight.)

OP, if you want to pay non synched content, do Lost Island.

Edited by lcharas

Level synch doesn't necessarily prohibit fps solo'ed, it only increases difficulty.

Also, not all flashpoints have level synch. Kaon and Lost Island sm for example are not scaled and still drop the old cosmetic great. (Although it's probably an oversight.)

OP, if you want to pay non synched content, do Lost Island.

This isnt much about FPS sync, but the sync planet side. If FPS and OPS wouldnt be level sync just imagine the end game content, lvl 50 HM fps, lvl 55 HM fps and level 60 HM fps, not to mention ops.

Tell me the truth.

How many times did you personally experience getting ganked by a high level player? (Hearsay doesn't count)

Quite a few times in the early days actually. That was when a lot of WoW players were transferring over to Swtor and thinking that the stupid crap they pulled there was going to be okay here.

It's also about skill though... look at those guys doing the first boss of blood hunt HM, NAKED. (The video is out there on youtube and has been provided by user "Sonnenregen".

Naked level 15s or Naked level 65s? I'm not saying skill isn't a factor, I'm just pointing out that level skill may buff the skills you do have but it doesn't give you the other skills (including passive bonuses to existing skills). Skill may overcome some of these things, but the whole point we're discussing about pvp is that skill is what *should* differentiate people. The same player (so no skill difference) will have a noticeably harder time running a level 15 Bolstered to level 65 than a true level 65 (assuming comparable gear, which being naked should cover).

This isnt much about FPS sync, but the sync planet side. If FPS and OPS wouldnt be level sync just imagine the end game content, lvl 50 HM fps, lvl 55 HM fps and level 60 HM fps, not to mention ops.

There were no problems with this before 4.0. OFC, expansions before 4.0 provided new FPs (and OPs), so old content was just that -- old. 4.0 introduced us to Regression Raiding.

Not that it affects me much, but a number of people complain because certain gear is now difficult/impossible to obtain conveniently. Pre-4.0, many FPs had unique gear drops, and some people liked to use them, so it was easy to run the FP solo and get it (for the looks, not the stats). The new solo modes don't drop this loot. Also, open world mobs used to drop gear at their level (and like FPs, some of this gear was aesthetically desirable). Level-synced mobs drop loot at the players's level, which makes grinding for specific looks difficult/impossible once you outlevel the area.

^This. I have no problem with level sync concept itself. However the loss of being able to acquire certain cosmetic item looks for my character is really irritating.

Example. I used to run my Sith thru the FP that dropped Lifebleeder because A) it had a cool name for a lightsaber and B) I actually like the look of it and it was moddable. There is only one look that is currently in the game that matches it (a 116 world drop) . While the drop is moddable, the chance to get it is rare as leveling is sped up so high, you will outlevel the drop range before you have time to try and get it (considering I don't know if it is on all loot tables or just in a specific planet or area.)

Naked level 15s or Naked level 65s? I'm not saying skill isn't a factor, I'm just pointing out that level skill may buff the skills you do have but it doesn't give you the other skills (including passive bonuses to existing skills). Skill may overcome some of these things, but the whole point we're discussing about pvp is that skill is what *should* differentiate people. The same player (so no skill difference) will have a noticeably harder time running a level 15 Bolstered to level 65 than a true level 65 (assuming comparable gear, which being naked should cover).

Don't you think it's a bit unfair claiming we made the challenge artificially easier by not entering a flashpoint with characters on a level one cannot enter the flashpoint with?

Regarding the general discussion: it is indeed unfortunate one cannot drop old skins any longer. Always dropping current level equipment may have its use, but please just put the current level stats on old skins.

Edited by lcharas

Don't you think it's a bit unfair claiming we made the challenge artificially easier by not entering a flashpoint with characters on a level one cannot enter the flashpoint with?

No, since if you use GF random for Daily/Weekly you have a chance to get any Tactical starting at level 15 and they all Bolster. I've done a few as a lowbie (with DvL chars), and not having your full rotation is a PITA. During one run I actually gained my interrupt when I leveled in the FP; ofc, players who don't usually use their best skills (not a small percentage, unfortunately) might not notice as much difference.

L15s cannot enter hard mode flashpoints.

Regarding Tacticals:

Haha nice, thats exactly what i have been talking about!!! Now imagine those are new players, who think Darth Maul is the leader of the Imps and at lvl 15 (beginning of your story) you get the flashpoint which is only gotten at lvl 50 before and only after finishing your class story, now how messed up is that for a new player??

There were no problems with this before 4.0. OFC, expansions before 4.0 provided new FPs (and OPs), so old content was just that -- old. 4.0 introduced us to Regression Raiding.

Yes, those were great times and i was stupid not to have done achievements back then since everything was soloable!! Now its just a pain to do 5 year old stuff, at lvl and with pugs who cant even play their class with these idiot proof nerfs!!

Still, there is no ops in 4.0 so if there would be no lvl sync it would have been a catastrofe. For ops i partially aprove lvl increase, but FPS and planets..... no, at least make it optional!! I wouldnt want people to be going into DF NiM with 10 level difference, everyone would have wings.

How did you get ganked on a PVE server? And what did they do that wasn't ok?

I wasn't on a PVE server back then. I didn't know what PVE and PVP meant so I'd chosen a PVP server.

I'm sorry but if you think it's okay to go bully low level players then you need to reevaluate how you treat people. It's rude and stupid to sit there and attack low level players when you're at max. When people were level 50 attacking the level 15 players back then it was absolutely disgusting. Level shift keeps buttholes like that from trying. They still have better gear but at the end of the day someone who wants to bully lower level players isn't looking for a level playing field because they know that they can't beat someone on their own level. They won't risk ganking now because there's a chance they can lose when everyone is put down to the same level.