So....about Vaylin....

Nihilix

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the same situation as with Vivicar, that technique would not work here.

Wound her then take her to the Voss for the same treatment Arcaan got?

Edit: Or what about the 'Mother Machine' on Belsavis? We could have thrown Vaylin in there, told the machine to kick out the 'bad' stuff ... and BOOM ... everything is right in the universe.

Edited by Paulsutherland

It's sickening for me because I've talked to people who were subjected to torture as children.

If you collect all 7 log entries for Nathema you learn the following.

-That Vaylin was kept in solitary confinement on Nathema

-That the guards were instructed to beat her until she stopped fighting back

-That Jara drugged her and subjected her to Electro-Shock Torture to make her compliant

-That she was forced to watch vivisection of anyone she made friends with on Nathema (a vivisection is when you cut up a living organism and it's almost always fatal)

-That her memories were corrupted by Valkorrion

-And she was taught to shut down her empathy and forced to help with the torture sessions.

My friends - this seems like an accurate description of HELL.

I felt so sorry for Vaylin and her abuse at the hands of her father is horrifying... and I hate that you are "pushed" so to speak, to try and redeem Arcann and feel sympathy for him. Talk about double standards.

Arcann is not seeing the light on the day again just on principle :D

As ugly and uncomfortable a truth as it is, you really can't save everyone. Not every time.

Vaylin could not get past what had been done to her, so she couldn't transform herself the way Arcann did. That doesn't mean she was any less beloved by the story, either, rather it's a testament to just how horribly cruel Vitiate was and a painful reminder that sometimes, the person who suffers the consequences of an evil act is not the one who committed it.

Sometimes you can save them in time, but not always. By the time we meet Vaylin, she had already suffered too much. Killing her was a mercy imo.

Wound her then take her to the Voss for the same treatment Arcaan got?

If wounding her was possible, then maybe. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Voss ritual required the person in question to be willing and wanting.

Edit: Or what about the 'Mother Machine' on Belsavis? We could have thrown Vaylin in there, told the machine to kick out the 'bad' stuff ... and BOOM ... everything is right in the universe.

Since when can the mother machine edit your brain? Or modify the force? The Mother Machine only improved the Inquisitor's body so that it wouldn't die from using the power of the ghosts, it made the Inquisitor's body more durable basically.

It's sickening for me because I've talked to people who were subjected to torture as children.

If you collect all 7 log entries for Nathema you learn the following.

-That Vaylin was kept in solitary confinement on Nathema

-That the guards were instructed to beat her until she stopped fighting back

-That Jara drugged her and subjected her to Electro-Shock Torture to make her compliant

-That she was forced to watch vivisection of anyone she made friends with on Nathema (a vivisection is when you cut up a living organism and it's almost always fatal)

-That her memories were corrupted by Valkorrion

-And she was taught to shut down her empathy and forced to help with the torture sessions.

My friends - this seems like an accurate description of HELL.

While this is sort of a moot point now, and I did love the storyline, it was great, one thing I would change would be our interaction with Vaylin depending on whether or not we decided to read the journals. If we read the journals, it could give us an option of "I listened to what you went through. Help me help you" sort of road., and if we didn't read the journals it just goes normally. Again that's just my take on it, I'm not dissatisfied on the end result that's just how I would have tried to unravel things.

Since when can the mother machine edit your brain? Or modify the force? The Mother Machine only improved the Inquisitor's body so that it wouldn't die from using the power of the ghosts, it made the Inquisitor's body more durable basically.

This thing which apparently made the Zabrak and Twi'lek species?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mother_Machine

If this thing is pumping out new species when it gets bored I'm sure it could have fixed a corrupt Human.

Edited by Paulsutherland

Does the 'Barsen'thor' / Counselor have a chance to try and 'heal' Vaylin? Like when used on Vivicar against X Sith spirit?

Nah, they don't. I think she would need more than "LS magic healing" though. That would be a start, but Vaylin would need a lot of psychiatric counseling after Nathema. But our characters couldn't even try...I think the most reaction we have to what had happened to her was saying something about feeling bad for here while we were on Nathema. You can't even call out Valkorian after Nathema...like, "hey, *** is wrong with you, man!?!" (I guess we already know he's an evil bastard, so it would be redundant).

Everyone who is feeling sad for Vaylin...remember to kick Valk extra hard then :D cose he has it coming .

I have no particular sympathy for Vaylin, but I plan to finish Valk with a Dirty Kick anyway, on general principle.

...and y'all thought playing a Scoundrel wasn't thematically appropriate. :p

Valkorion consumed her spirit, so when he died, she rested, too. I find it strange when ppl feel zero sympathy for these abused children. Arcann's mind could be healed. While Vaylin is different, she could have been healed, too. It's just bad writing we never even get the chance to try.

You do get the chance to offer it. Had she accepted the demand to surrender, it would have been an option for her at least with Jedi Outlanders. One of the LS responses to Vaylin in the final confrontation is to say, "You're beyond redemption," after she's refused to stand down and kills her prisoner. Vaylin responding that she never wanted redemption was entirely in-character for her.

Vaylin isn't just under the influence of the dark side, thanks to Valkorian and child abuse she's also a psychopath. Nathema stripped her of whatever capacity for empathy she might have developed.

Keeping a character consistent is an example of good writing.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I was expecting a reaction from Senya when I stabbed her.

She even had a reaction when you let "Space Madonna" die in a previous KoftE chapter.

So what if she was beyond redemption? As far as I know they still let us choose Dark Side choices, what about all of us players who lean towards it? we deserve or 'can' handle deliciously twisted companions such as Vaylin (btw where is Jaesa?).

To me The Eternal Throne is incomplete without Vaylin . After that epic trailer which the internet (?) unanimously agreed that had more raw emotion that the whole Episode 7 I was expecting a better resolution to this character who quickly became one of my favorites.

She even had a reaction when you let "Space Madonna" die in a previous KoftE chapter.

So what if she was beyond redemption? As far as I know they still let us choose Dark Side choices, what about all of us players who lean towards it? we deserve or 'can' handle deliciously twisted companions such as Vaylin (btw where is Jaesa?).

To me The Eternal Throne is incomplete without Vaylin . After that epic trailer which the internet (?) unanimously agreed that had more raw emotion that the whole Episode 7 I was expecting a better resolution to this character who quickly became one of my favorites.

Even though Jaesa is crazy, Vaylin is outright mad and unstable. It isn't a simple matter of "I'm dark side, let's be evil together and listen to everything I say"

Making Vaylin a companion is like trying to catch a wild bear outside and thinking it'll be your pet after that.

Jaesa will still obey you and listen to you, I don't see Vaylin doing that. Jaesa also admires you and thinks of you as her superior, Vaylin isn't the type of woman who ever would. Just the thought is a good joke.

This is not to say that I dislike her or don't feel bad for her, but I understand why she is beyond redemption and rightfully so. She is out of control.

Senya tried hard to save her son because she thought he could change, she never really expressed the same feelings towards Vaylin in Kotet and she is her mother. That should say enough.

Edited by Eshvara

Sometimes, a good character has to die. As the story shows, you can't save them all.

Though, I'd argue they give us the option to try and save/redeem her many times. She just doesn't want it. So, we have out chance to save her. We just fail and/or she says no to it.

She's a girl who grew up in the worst possible situation. By the time her mother had gotten around to trying to save her, it was already to late.

Arcann and Vaylin had a terrible father. Though, it's not like they didn't know right from wrong. They just didn't care or thought themselves above it. Vaylin being more far gone than Arcann.

Is she just running around inside your head now?! We didn't eradicate her spirit like we did to Valkorian! I don't know about you guys, but I gave her the choice to side with me, she approved and she (along with Arcann and Senya, beautiful family moment fyi) helped me wipe the floor with Valkorian. So, she's just there now? Is that what future chapters could be about? I wanted to help the lady, especially after seeing the 'Betrayal' trailer, so maybe that opportunity will arise, but I feel a lot of the player base may not like that. Thoughts?

P.s. You could have given me 3 choices with Vaylin Bioware!!!! Why you make me kill her?

[Light] Knock her out, take her to the Voss Mystics

[less light/ Neutral] Sever her connection to the force. Jedi do it, so can I.

[Dark] Shishkebob her. Which we all did.

After she tried to glass Voss only to kill her family, I doubt mystics would accept her. Severing her connection is impossible too, because story is same for all characters and half of them have no training in force at all, and none of force classes learned this ability. So, the only option to deal with psychotic force user is to "shishkebob her".

After she tried to glass Voss only to kill her family, I doubt mystics would accept her. Severing her connection is impossible too, because story is same for all characters and half of them have no training in force at all, and none of force classes learned this ability. So, the only option to deal with psychotic force user is to "shishkebob her".

In order to be redeemed I would think you'd also have to want it. Arcann was looking for redemption when Senya takes him to Voss, or at least was open to it. That was the key difference between him and Vaylin. He still had some flicker of humanity left, while Vaylin was completely heartless.

I would think the Voss healing ritual would have failed on Vaylin if she was brought there captured and unconscious, because she didn't want to be healed. If she was still capable of thought she'd likely be seething with resentment and planning to murder all the Voss Mystics present as soon as she regained the strength to do it.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

We could ask them very nicely or tell them they risk provoking the Eternal Alliance. (hate that name)

Should have cut her limbs off and take her to Voss. It would have benn worth a try. I know that I wouldn't stabbed her in Chapter 8, rather perform a mou kei on her and give her an actual choice then, not only against Valkorion when she's already dead.

She never actually try to do the right thing, while Arcann did. I'm curious why you feel this way. :rak_03:

He only tried to do the right thing after the Outlander kicked his *** and mommy gave him some magic LS healing love or whatever Senya did to him. Arcann was responsible for a lot of death and the destruction of whole planets before then. This was due to anger over his father not paying attention to him. This is still a form of abuse and very wrong ofc, but nothing like Vaylin suffered. She's definitely more deserving of redemption to me, even if it would be harder to achieve.

He only tried to do the right thing after the Outlander kicked his *** and mommy gave him some magic LS healing love or whatever Senya did to him. Arcann was responsible for a lot of death and the destruction of whole planets before then. This was due to anger over his father not paying attention to him. This is still a form of abuse and very wrong ofc, but nothing like Vaylin suffered. She's definitely more deserving of redemption to me, even if it would be harder to achieve.

I get what you're saying even though I don't agree. It's hard to redeem someone who doesn't want to be redeemed. She would only stop if she were to die. And even in death she still seemed mad.

She is beyond redemption.