Healers NOT Always priority target and why!

seefouruno

Kill target priority changes depending on the situation. Having a team that realizes that and prioritizes accordingly with focus fire is 75% of the battle in ranked warzones.

Even without CCing the healers, classes like Pyro PTs, dps sorc, merc dps (why in gods name would there be one of these in ranked though.. idk), etc, are easy to burst down. I don't care how godly your healer is, if everyone swaps to a target that does not have cooldowns up, and you have 1 ranged + 1 PT and 2 smash on him, he is going to die.

Exactly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to this, I'd say that a Gunnery Commando will not only lay out loads of damage if left alone, he'll also expose his targets to extra damage from his allies. A standing 20% armor debuff, same as the Sniper gets (but with the advantage of being UNCLEANSABLE*) will hurt pretty badly in a large brawl.

*The one nice thing the Commando has against the Sniper is the ability to cleanse Shatter Shot and DoTs.

except that the snipe armor break is on a 4.5s cooldown, lasts 45s, is not a casted ability, and comes with a 9s heal debuff.

oh, and the commando armor break needs to be applied 3 times in order to hit the 20% mark.

yep, definitely JUST like the sniper armor break. DEFINITELY :rolleyes:

To add to this, I'd say that a Gunnery Commando will not only lay out loads of damage if left alone, he'll also expose his targets to extra damage from his allies. A standing 20% armor debuff, same as the Sniper gets (but with the advantage of being UNCLEANSABLE*) will hurt pretty badly in a large brawl.

*The one nice thing the Commando has against the Sniper is the ability to cleanse Shatter Shot and DoTs

BUT VERY RARELY will a commando NOT be attacked.

A sniper has better burst, cc immunity, more group utility and cover, not to mention and AoE damage reduction (20%) and a shield/ white damage immunity.

Commando: 25% damage reduction, 15% heal over time, susceptible to interrupts, heals which aren't very large, and pretty much no mobility. Which is more useful?

EDIT: Not to mention the high resource cost of all a commando's abilities. AND Shatter shot is a 6 sec. cd, and an about 1.5 second cast that stacks 5 times for 20% armor reduction = 7.5 seconds of grav round, before GCD

I don't need you to compare the two classes since I have both.

The fact is I'm saying commandos should be high on the priority list because they're easy as hell to kill, but will destroy people if left alone.

Edited by Smashbrother

I disagree, all things considered, the quickest way to win is if they have no healer and you do, so priority should always be to quickly focus and bring down the healer a fast as possible. Your "cc the healer" bit is unreasonable in anything but coordinated rated matches.

Any priority list doesn't work at all time. Priority is determined by situation. However what is really important is to focus dps, instead of going around and try to solo kill everyone. If you see a team mating killing someone , go help him if you can.

Any priority list doesn't work at all time. Priority is determined by situation. However what is really important is to focus dps, instead of going around and try to solo kill everyone. If you see a team mating killing someone , go help him if you can.

Priority lists are situational...

Wow that escalated quickly! All I was trying to say is that while there are times that some classes are a higher priority to kill than others, and that zerging the healers doesn't always work because if you attack the healer, the dps are free to attack you!

If see you see a dps being attacked by a teammate, ask yourself :

1) is it a sent/mara/sin/shadow?

if so, think: DO they have their CDs up?

if so, wait until they expire, and try to cc them if possible.

If not, then continue attacking.

2) Are they guarded?

if so, then try to get them far away from the person who is guarding them?

if not, continue.

3) Are they being healed? If so, then either cc the healer or attack the healer.

Many people obsess over the notion that healers must be stopped AT ALL COSTS RAMBO OMG!!!!!!!!

Well, that isn't always the case. If you,say, CC the healer after you DPS them to about 50%, why not kill their teammate that now isn't able to be healed and probably will not get heals as self-preservation instincts apply in video games as well! Chances are, the healer will heal themselves while their teammate dies. As a gunslinger, my priorities are:

1) Other Snipers/Gunslingers, sages, and operatives (healing versions)

2) Commando Healers, Maras, sents, assasins,PT

3)Bad DPS specs

4)DPS commando

CC priorities (above were kill priorities)

1) Healers, assassins, mara/sents

2) All other classes unless i am in immediate danger!

TL;DR: Use common sense to determine who should be the kill target, don't tunnel vision into a healer/other class

P.S Operatives will always stunlock you until you until you unsub, so make sure to use the endless cc chain ability that people on these forums always complain about

-seefouruno

i like the fact commando healer is second priority just proves how garbage the class is

on my sniper I usually only go healers if they are in the open and don't have guard

even then that's only really sages or commandos that don't have reactive shield up, depending on who my teammates are attacking

its really easy to cc/interrupt a healer and kill a dps who doesn't have defensives up

interrupt heal, mez next, interrupt again off that... trauma on your target in between (which isn't even necessary with how fast things die)

you don't even have to overextend to CC them as a range class

2 people playing this way and there's no way a healer gets a cast off without juking or a commando's shield

on my sniper I usually only go healers if they are in the open and don't have guard

even then that's only really sages or commandos that don't have reactive shield up, depending on who my teammates are attacking

its really easy to cc/interrupt a healer and kill a dps who doesn't have defensives up

interrupt heal, mez next, interrupt again off that... trauma on your target in between (which isn't even necessary with how fast things die)

you don't even have to overextend to CC them as a range class

2 people playing this way and there's no way a healer gets a cast off without juking or a commando's shield

This works if people are on mumble and can communicate, but doesn't work in pugs. CC gets broken 90% of the time really early. Interrupts only really hamper command healers and those are rare.

Edited by Smashbrother

To any new player who is reading this ignore the op. His ideas are great if you got put with a team that was exceptional. This is not the case however in wzs. OP first you can not count on ccs not being cut short by damage. Two you can not sort through all the chaos like its set piece strategy and say oh ill kill this guy and just cc the healer. What do you think mmo pvp is lol? There is aoes flying around all the time that interrupt ccs. Also Imperial healers have a nack for finding a dps on their team that is just getting destroyed and focusing on him, long enough for the rest of their team to wipe out the dps on the other team. So yes I see a healer you better believe ill chase them through hell if I have to but they are going to die. This being said yes kill the healers is the golden rule of pvp, but in a warzone prioritys change based on the warzone and what is happening. If your team is in a straight up fight and the situation is not as described below you better dang well kill their healers, or they will cut you to pieces one by one Examples other priority situations are as follow.

Enemy Team capping your node

Enemy team planting a bomb

Teammates needing cover from other dps so they can plant bomb

Teammates needing time to cap , so suicide run with a knock back and then targeting as many imps as possible works too.

Enemy has hutt ball kill him

Teammate has hutt ball kill dps following teammate or at least slow him down.

Translation op you tried to sound all smart, instead you just forced people to state the obvious. Things like the list above, that we all already knew. The golden rule is their to make sure you do not end up in a situation where their dps is killing you off one by one, because their dps is getting heals, because you did not kill the damn healers. I would also wager your more interested in the kill then team effort otherwise you wouldn't be making a post like this saying don't go after the healers as a priority target.

Edited by CrazyOldMystic

This works if people are on mumble and can communicate, but doesn't work in pugs. CC gets broken 90% of the time really early. Interrupts only really hamper command healers and those are rare.

nah

i mean sure its easier when you're on mumble or whatever and cc does get broken sometimes, (put me on skype with a jug that has focus bound and no one is getting a cast off) but if its a pug you're assuming no guard on your kill target... with no defensives, someone dies in a few seconds unless you don't get any crits and have bad rng deflects/cover/dodges. Its hard for a healer to keep someone up outside of when they have defensives up. take a scoundrel for example... i mean he's going to have to cast underworld medicine... interrupt it and he's really got nothing... mez him first global going into a fight and he has to decide does he trinket and get mezzed again 45 seconds later or eat it and lose whatever upper hand procs he went into the fight with... forcing him to cast... interrupt that... he's got nothing, unless he wants to overextend to melee or gets cleansed. but talking random warzones here. How many times have you been cleansed in a random warzone? I'm sure i could count the times I have on 1 hand.

interrupts don't hurt sages as much yeah, but if you mez on their healing trance and save your interrupt for deliverence/benevolence, they won't be able to keep your kill target alive, especially if you drop trauma on it early. again we're talking no defensives and no strings of bad rng

and snipers don't even do the most unhealable burst in the game. One focus grip + interrupt/stun on a healer could give a powertech a kill easily on most targets without defensives. they practically kill things through heals already that don't have guard on

To any new player who is reading this ignore the op. His ideas are great if you got put with a team that was exceptional. This is not the case however in wzs. OP first you can not count on ccs not being cut short by damage. Two you can not sort through all the chaos like its set piece strategy and say oh ill kill this guy and just cc the healer. What do you think mmo pvp is lol? There is aoes flying around all the time that interrupt ccs. Also Imperial healers have a nack for finding a dps on their team that is just getting destroyed and focusing on him, long enough for the rest of their team to wipe out the dps on the other team. So yes I see a healer you better believe ill chase them through hell if I have to but they are going to die. This being said yes kill the healers is the golden rule of pvp, but in a warzone prioritys change based on the warzone and what is happening. If your team is in a straight up fight and the situation is not as described below you better dang well kill their healers, or they will cut you to pieces one by one Examples other priority situations are as follow.

Teammates needing time to cap , so suicide run with a knock back and then targeting as many imps as possible works too.

Translation op you tried to sound all smart, instead you just forced people to state the obvious. Things like the list above, that we all already knew. The golden rule is their to make sure you do not end up in a situation where their dps is killing you off one by one, because their dps is getting heals, because you did not kill the damn healers. I would also wager your more interested in the kill then team effort otherwise you wouldn't be making a post like this saying don't go after the healers as a priority target.

Umm.. did you even READ my post? I NEVER say never attack the healer, I said that tunnel visioning the healer is NOT a very good idea, which is something you said you did. Also, what AOEs are flying around that people are mentioning? Pretty much all AoE abilities are useless in damage, and are only situational at best. And the part about not ending up in a situation where the dps are getting healed and you aren't is the EXACT situation i was trying to prevent. Read johnyangelo's post on the first page. He understood what I was attempting to say. Yes, I will admit that it is hard to coordinate that much cc in a PUG warzone, but if you used a stun to interrupt a healer than that can't be broken on damage. And why do you think I don't play the objectives? I never said to only kill people. Defeating other players is part of PvP. I was remarking on strategies against other player's teams. However, objectives are just, if not more important, that defeating the other team.

While I do agree with the OP on some of his points, I'm betting he's probably a healer who's sick and tired of being targeted. Hey I know how he feels, I go into every warzone on my sorc hoping no one will notice that I'm a healer...

While I do agree with the OP on some of his points, I'm betting he's probably a healer who's sick and tired of being targeted. Hey I know how he feels, I go into every warzone on my sorc hoping no one will notice that I'm a healer...

As a healer I would rather people on my team attack dps rather than other healers who are staying back, not because I don't want to get focused. Focusing me is a stupid thing to do in most instances, because I'm going to be in the back and you're going to have to overextend to do it. So either my teammates are going to kill you away from your own heals or you're going to overextend your own healers to pressure me, putting them in horrible spots and getting them killed, while you're sitting in a root or whatever.

If zerg the healer that's staying back is working, your team's probably going to win regardless of what you're doing because you have the better team anyways.

CCing or interrupting me while focus my teammates will usually get kills. A lot of times people die through free casted heals, because unless you have a tank doing his job or your dps are actually playing to survive (lining with you and not face tanking or pulling back outside of defensives) people die really really fast.

Put a marauder on a face tanking sage and tell me if its possible to keep the sage alive with uninterrupted heals. If you do keep him up, you're pretty much OOM. I know that's the extreme, but most classes are squishy outside of defensives.

Now healers that are standing in the open, backpeddaling to get away... yeah focus them lol

I just kinda asses the level of threat by the actual senario. Usually it's the healers who become the priority targets. But every now and then I'll run into the occassion where the healer is badly spec/geared (or an idiot) and eliminate the dps without much trouble. Other times, the typical senario, you'll have the "I have a healer, no need to focus on survivability, I'm just gonna do damage" Marauder, and their healer runs out of Force, because the Marauder (player, not class) is just so danm reckless and inconsiderate. So to me, priority has to do more with the players behind the characters as well as the senario.

If you want pugs to kill a healer first, then you need to mark everyone on other team who isn't a healer. It's a proven fact pugs wont attack anything that is marked. So if you mark all the dps and tanks then they will attack the healers cause they aren't marked. This works for any High Priority target.

Jenna'syyde

nah

i mean sure its easier when you're on mumble or whatever and cc does get broken sometimes, (put me on skype with a jug that has focus bound and no one is getting a cast off) but if its a pug you're assuming no guard on your kill target... with no defensives, someone dies in a few seconds unless you don't get any crits and have bad rng deflects/cover/dodges. Its hard for a healer to keep someone up outside of when they have defensives up. take a scoundrel for example... i mean he's going to have to cast underworld medicine... interrupt it and he's really got nothing... mez him first global going into a fight and he has to decide does he trinket and get mezzed again 45 seconds later or eat it and lose whatever upper hand procs he went into the fight with... forcing him to cast... interrupt that... he's got nothing, unless he wants to overextend to melee or gets cleansed. but talking random warzones here. How many times have you been cleansed in a random warzone? I'm sure i could count the times I have on 1 hand.

You say "FF dps while CCing and interrupting healer". How is that better than "FF healer and interrupting him, while CCing dps". It's the same concept, with the difference being healers have a harder time healing if they're trained on.

Edited by Smashbrother