Legacy Wars

NatashaTerenzio

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Long installment because I'm going out of town and won't be around on Monday. Happy Weekend!]

Chapter 6: Everybody Loses Sometimes

The Jedi

Coreward Worlds

The Titan’s Flare

"It's a gosh darn mess down here," General Var Suthra said.

I was standing in front of my holo terminal. T7 stood next to me. On the holo image was General Var Suthra, General Graza and Master Kaden.

"Had to have been one of her stealth shuttles - the body just fell out of the sky, covered in explosives. When the chemical plant blew it took out half of labor valley and now the gas cloud is spreading to other sectors," General Var Suthra said.

General Graza frowned. "If we don't come up with an answer to her Stealth fleet we're going to lose this war fast."

"What we need is to stop the problem at its source," I heard myself say. "Where is Darth Jinobie?"

"She's not hiding. Imperial comm chatter says she took the majority of her army right to Balmorra."

In my little mind prison I sighed deeply. During my time on Corellia I had liberated a chemical factory the empire had taken over to start work on a powerful bomb. I'd gotten to the factory before the Empire could finish it and we'd liberated Labor Valley. Once the Republic had taken over the factory they'd continued building the bomb the Empire had started.

It was the perfect target for Laresa - an utterly merciless act on a planet the Empire had lost, that the Republic needed. She was driving us into a bottleneck - right to Balmorra. It wasn't just that she didn't want to hide, she was ensuring I had no choice but to come. It was such a bitter irony that my sister had become the thing I'd accused her of being before we'd defeated the emperor.

Maybe it wasn't just the Voss - perhaps I had a great deal of culpability in what had transpired. I hadn't approved of Laresa's turn towards the Darkside. I hadn't had a chance to even begin to reconcile the path she'd chosen - only the knowledge that I'd wanted too. Perhaps mind controlling me against her hadn't been so difficult.

It was a bitter thought, and I shoved it aside for now. I had to cling to the hope that my message had gotten through to Doc, that Laresa's children had gotten off of Voss and were on the way, that my sister hadn't crossed a line she couldn't come back from.

"We cannot allow her to begin manufacturing her droids at the Arms Factory," I head myself say.

"If you had of brought her back like you were suppose too, she never would have left Tython and this wouldn't have happened!" Master Kaden glared.

"That was then and this is now Master Kaden," I heard myself say patiently. "If she's on the ground, she won't hide from me. I believe it's time for the republic to rewrite the Battle of Balmorra."

http://www.themindofdcs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/interview-divider.png

The Smuggler

Voss; Gormak Lands

Eastern Watchwoods

We were positioned on a rock ledge, high enough to be hidden. My cybernetic eye zoomed in farther than the rest of them could see. My nephews were sandwiched between a dozen Voss Commando's and being led quickly away from Gormak-Koss, which from the looks of it was under attack by the Voss.

I hoped the Gormak were kicking the **** out of them, and if not, as soon as I got my niece and nephews back to their mother I was going to come back here and help. Tana had informed me of the whole plot and I was pissed. Really pissed. Beyond pissed. One, that meant Laresa had been right about Xerrin and I'd been wrong. I didn't like being wrong. Two the Voss had now fraked with not one, but two of my sisters and they'd tried to kill me. Three, Laresa was destroyed, and had destroyed a whole helluva lot over the lies. Personally, I was proud of her. War was suppose to be ugly, and usually the nastier it got, the quicker it got solved. I didn't feel particularly bad for the republic either. But Laresa liked toeing the line, looked for a darker kind of balance. Now that she'd gotten kicked so far over it, I wasn't sure if she could come back from it.

Either way, the Voss were fraked and that did make me feel slightly better.

I slid back over to Tana and Andro. "Found the boys. No sign of Kaliyo."

"Right here."

We all whirled with blasters pointed as Kaliyo dropped down into our hiding spot. She looked a lot banged up and a whole lot angry. Tana looked relieved to see her, and we holstered our guns.

Tana punched Kaliyo in the shoulder. "What the hell happened?!"

"A lot more of them. Too many," Kaliyo grumbled. "And I'm going to shoot your brother."

"Why?"

"Because he knocked me out! They were getting closer and we weren't going to be able to hold them off much longer so he hits me - lights out."

"Sounds like a Sith," I said amusedly, looking back down at the road.

"Lancoro did it," Kaliyo cracked her knuckles.

Well how about that. He'd likely saved Kaliyo's life with that move. I'd be proud of him for his quick thinking after I got him.

"How you wanna play this, Ria?" Andro asked.

"They'll pass by the eastern side of this ledge, the main road still has Gormak patrols they won't want to deal with. Andro, I'm going to need a nice big distraction."

"You say the dirtiest things to me," Andro grinned darkly.

I chuckled, put a hand on his face and gave him a playful shove. I looked at Tana. "You go stealth and get your brothers loose. Kaliyo you cover Tana in case anything goes south."

Tana nodded, we got into position and waited. When they were about thirty meters away I gave the signal. Tana and Kaliyo disappeared. Andro pulled a thermal grenade from his belt and chucked it at the front of the patrol. The first two commandos died, and like a domino effect the rest were blown off their feet.

I popped up and started blasting, giving Tana the chance to grab Lan and Vanceto, making them both disappear too. Kaliyo covered their six. Andro came up beside me and from our ledge we started lighting the Commando's up.

By the Tana got her brothers free and rearmed the Commando's were dead. I twirled my blaster and grinned down at my nephews. "Why am I always rescuing you?"

Lancoro looked like he was pondering that. Vanceto shook his head and jerked a thumb at his brother, like only Lan needed rescuing.

I was about to climb down to hug them when my instincts went off like a sensor alarm. "Get down!" I shouted and shoved Andro hard, jumping at the same time. The grenade exploded on the ledge behind us and at the last second I used the force and threw up a quick shield to block the blaster fire coming at us too.

We hit the ground hard, and just a week out from my little bout with Mekethia, my body made the smallest sound of protest. The blast had given me a good smack too because the world was moving in slow motion. I gave my head a hard shake to clear it but my ear was ringing so loudly it barely registered the chaotic sounds of a fire fight beginning.

I rolled onto my back, blasters in my hand, just to see two more squads of Voss Commando's and a very dark looking Mystic coming towards us. The sight of the mystic snapped me back into high gear. The world sped up again, I took aim at him and fired. Somehow I missed, because he kept walking.

"I'm about tired of this ****," I heard Lancoro growl. He tossed the blaster Tana had given him aside and picked up one of the dead Commando's heavy rifle cannons. Instead of backing up he started attacking. Vanceto, lightsaber in hand, force leaped right at them, volleying their blaster fire back at them. The impact of his landing knocked several of them off their feet and before they had a chance to recover, like a pure Juggernaut he started slicing through them. Tana had dropped to the ground, took up sniper position and got one head shot after the next.

Guess were weren't leaving yet. Can't say I wasn't proud. I got to my feet and Andro and I shared the exact same though; we both pulled grenades from our belt and hurled them at the approaching Commando's, adding to the chaos. Kaliyo compounded the situation when she literally jumped into it like the crazy ***** she was.

I was starting to think they hadn't brought enough people. But I didn't want to find out what it was like if they did - not yet at least. I had to get these kids back to Laresa, so we need to move. It was that thought that made me realize -

"Where'd the fraking mystic go!" I shouted.

"Infrared!" Andro shouted back at me.

"We need to be moving! Lancoro, start backing it up!" I shouted as I activated the infrared on my eye implant, sweeping my gaze across the field. The Mystic was in front of Andro and about to jam a knife into his chest.

I didn't even shout out to him, I dropped one of my blasters so I could force push Andro and fired at the Mystic. The Mystic disappeared before my shot could cut through him. A heartbeat later mr. dark rainbow face appeared in front of me, knocking my blasters from my hand. I decked the Mystic right in the face, then planted my foot in his chest, knocking him back from me.

"Get them out of here!" I shouted at Andro. I was about to use the force to bring at least one of my blasters back to my hand, but the Voss forced my attention back on him and the wicked looking knife he was trying to kill me with. He tried to slash me with it, but I brought up my forearm to block and swung at him again. Before my fist could connect he disappeared.

I took a one step stumble when I swung at air and anticipating him I quickly set my footing and whirled around, bringing my leg with me. I almost smirked at his predictability when he tried to get the jump on me from behind and instead caught my boot to the side of his head. He tumbled to the ground and I force called my blaster back to me. He'd just gotten to his feet when I curled my finger around the trigger and fired. My blast struck him in the chest. He didn't drop. Instead he surged into me and tried to ram that stupid little knife into my eye.

The tip struck my implant breaking the glass and giving my brain a little zap that really annoyed the **** out of me more than it hurt. He kicked my feet out and we hit the ground hard, me right on my back with him still trying to drive that knife into my brain. I had my forearms up now, gritting my teeth and pushing back against him, though admittedly I wasn't having much success - he was heavy as a fraking boulder. Just when I thought this might be one fight I lost - Lancoro rammed into him.

I took a second to gasp in a breath, snatched my blaster back into my hand and rolled up to one knee. Lancoro had the Mystic underneath him, his knee pinning the mystics knife hand to the ground. Lancoro was wailing on him, just pummeling the guy. I could feel my nephew's anger in those strikes; painful rage that manifested into pure physical power. I was proud for a second - then I remembered the Mystic could disappear and had just taken a blaster to the chest like it was nothing. If he was taking Lan's hits like that he was setting him up for...

"Lancoro move!" I surged forward, diving into my nephew just as the stupid little Mystic disappeared. As I knocked my nephew to the side the Mystic reappeared behind me, his arm around my throat, just where I'd thought he'd be. My arm was already raised, my blaster pointed right at his head. I pulled the trigger just as he jammed that stupid little knife into my side.

Get into enough fights you know what's fatal and what isn't. He hadn't hit anything important, though it hurt like hell. I pulled the trigger again just to rub it in that he was dead.

"Not getting up from that are yah!" I dropped my arm and looked down at the knife in my side. I was about to pull it out myself when I suddenly felt... wrong. The world started spinning, the ground underneath me toppling...

"Ria!"

Andro caught me before I fell completely. Tana, Vanceto, and Kaliyo ran over. I hoped the silence meant they'd cleaned the rest of the Voss out, not that I was losing it. Andro pulled out the knife as carefully as he could, and Vanceto quickly handed him the lightsaber so he could cauterize my wound.

I hissed in pain. "Was that fraking necessary?!"

"You're fine, wimp." At first Andro sounded relieved. Then he looked at my face. "What's wrong?"

I couldn't hold my blaster anymore, it was too heavy. Since when were my blasters too heavy? "There was something on that knife," I said through gritted teeth.

Andro snapped his gaze down at the dead Mystic. He grabbed the knife and sniffed the blade. He shoved it at Tana. "Wrap it up, don't touch the blade."

"We gotta move." With trembling hands I managed to shove my blaster back on my belt and gripped Andro's arm.

Andro stood up, looping my arm around his neck, supporting my weight which annoyed me to no end but there wasn't much I could about it. I felt like my insides were on fire. I just need to get back to the ship, I told myself. Guss was a damn find medic, so long as we got there quick I'd be all right.

Varan-Wyn appeared from the shadows, watching the Outsiders run away. Two more Mystics appeared at his side.

"Should we get them?" one asked.

Varan-Wyn shook his head, smiling. "No. There is no need. She will act as all Sith do, and take her rage out on the Jedi. We have time."

Edited by NatashaTerenzio

The Sith

Balmorra

Sobrik

Vette hadn't disappointed me. I was standing against the railing in front of the mechanized travel launch pad when she walked back onto the base, only a few droids short but more importantly with the leader of Balmorra's little resistance, a Twi'lek named Zenith.

Reide had worked with him once. She had also ranked him as an acceptable one night stand.

Reide. I hadn't heard from her in days. She'd gone to find Gaden-Ko. To find out what he'd sought Elliah for. As my thoughts turned more towards my sister I realized I couldn't feel her. There was nothing. My head tilted in thought. There was a void where she should be... like I'd felt before with Elliah. With my children.

I slowly frowned. I couldn't feel Xerrin either and I knew with certainty she was alive. Was I losing my grip on the force? I reached for Jaesa and in seconds felt her, strongly. All right, if not that, then what?

"My lord?"

I realized this was the second time Vette had spoken to me. I snapped my attention back to the present moment. Slowly I drew back my cowl and walked up to Zenith. He stared defiantly back at me, like a real leader shoulder when faced with an enemy.

I was going to torture him and broadcast to the republic. And then I was going to kill him for them all to see, and when they asked me why I was going give them a nice little speech like Xerrin had given me. I was going to tell them how much I was going to enjoy watching them suffer, watching everything they'd promised they could protect from the empire burn -

If Reide was alive, and I couldn't feel it, might that mean my children were still alive too? I was no fool to deception - Elliah might have died a hero, not over a choice. Had Xerrin not shown me my children's deaths because she'd lied? But why? What game was she playing?

Vette stepped into my side, close enough that only I could hear her. "Laresa, are you all right?"

Her words snapped me out of my thoughts yet again. I nodded once at her then used my ear implant.

"General Pierce."

"My Lord."

"Is she here yet?"

"Was just about to call. Jedi Master Xerrin arrived at the Troida Military 'shop bout an hour ago. Brought a whole Jedi posse with her."

The reason for my torment, here. Anticipation wound tightly through me. I looked back at Zenith. "Do you have hope?"

"What?"

"Hope. Do you have hope you will be rescued, or should I kill you now, so your final hours need not be spent in a dark, lightless cell?"

He met my cold stare evenly. "I will always have hope."

"And if I tell you I'm going to slaughter a Jedi Master on the battlefield for all your people to see?"

"I'd tell you I don't care. We've been abandoned by the republic before because of you Sith. Even if I die, you will never break the heart of the resistance. We will always fight you."

My lips turned up into a faint smile. "How inspiring your conviction is," I stepped into him, leaning in close so I could speak quietly into his ear, my words for him alone. "When I return, I will pull out your heart, break it in half and deliver it to your resistance. And then I will find your other leaders, your lieutenants and captains and I will do the same to them. And I will continue to do it, until I find the heart that breaks you. A perfect response to your symbology no?"

I took a step back, watching the play of emotion on his face. His anger. His fear that I'd do it. I looked at my droids. "Throw him in a cell and watch over him. If he tries to escape kill him. Slowly."

The droids took him away. I turned to Vette. "Ready to share a battle field with me?"

"Yes," she smiled faintly. Quickly sobered as she fell into step next to me. "What had you in your head back there?"

I frowned slowly. Hope was not a luxury I could stomach. For me it would be nothing more than a weakness. And though events were suspicious and I smelled deception lurking the only thing I knew with any certainty was that Xerrin was at the heart of it.

And now, she was here.

"Nothing of importance. Just my dark thoughts of revenge. My sister has strong Jedi with her, I can feel them."

"I'll fire twice as fast. When are we going?"

"We march on the Trodia Military Workshop at dawn. I like the idea of slaughtering the Republic at first light."

"Twisted," Vette said. "But that's kinda how I'm feeling."

The Smuggler

Coreward Worlds

The Obsidian

When I woke up I was on my ship and in the med bay. I wasn't sure how I'd gotten there or how long I'd been out. Andro was sitting at my bedside, staring at me with the most intense expression on his face I'd ever seen. As my brain slowly returned and made me aware of all my bodily functions, all I felt was pain. Lots of it. Understanding dawned. Even if I hadn't been able to feel it, it was written all over Andro's face.

Well frak. "How long?" I asked.

"Droid said he couldn't say. Not long though," he said roughly. He reached out, taking my hand and pressed my knuckles against his mouth.

It was then I realized my droid was scattered in pieces around the med bay. I laughed and grimaced at the same time. "You didn't have to take it out on poor C2."

Andro wasn't amused. I would have been completely turned on by all the emotion he was throwing my way if I didn't feel like death itself and he didn't look like he was in as much pain as I was. "You can't leave me, Ria," he nearly growled. "You don't get to cut out on our marriage and the kids."

I arched a brow at him. "Us? Married? Kids?"

"Yes dammit! I wasn't gonna leave this time and I wasn't gonna let you leave either!" He exploded. "You were gonna marry me and then we were gonna settle down, in a house, on a ship, I don't give a frak. And then we were gonna raise a few little angry, lying, smugglers and pirates that looked like you." Andro was crying. I didn't think he was capable. Silent tears ran from his devastated eyes. My heart clenched.

I would have liked that. I would have liked that a lot I realized as I let my mind paint the picture of his words. I sucked back the sudden lump in my throat and tugged on his hand. "C'mere you big baby," I whispered.

He slid onto the bed with me, pulling me into him. For a long time we said nothing. Then I asked, "Where's my ring, cheap skate?"

He reached into his pocket and slid something onto my finger. I looked down at the simple, bright little stone. I have to admit, my guy had taste. It was perfect. I let the silence hang between us again, burying my face in the crook of his neck and breathed him in, even though breathing hurt. A lot. "I love you Andronikos Revel. Now get me outta this med bay."

He drew in a shaky breath and got up. I expected him to help me up, but he bent down and scooped me up into his arms.

"Oh hell no," I started to protest "I will walk-"

"Shut up. C2 said your strength's gonna go quick so your gonna keep what little you got for now. Deal with it." He muttered and carried me through the ship.

Getting to snuggle into him wasn't that bad, but I still didn't like feeling so weak. I tried using the force to bolster my strength but I almost didn't even have the energy to do that. Still, it helped a little but I knew when something was just prolonging the inevitable.

When we got into the cockpit, my niece and nephews were crowded in the small space. There was too much sadness in their eyes as they looked at me.

I gave em what I hoped was a strong smile. "Where we going?"

"Balmorra. We haven't been able to reach mom by comm. She's on the battle field," Lancoro said.

"We should let her finish this, once and for all," Vanceto all but growled.

"Hey..." I snapped at him. "If this is the path your mom wanted to go down it woulda happened years ago. This is because of you," I looked at all three of em. "Because she thought she lost you. The Voss are the bigger problem."

Tana's eyes widened. "She thinks were dead?"

"Yeah."

"****," Lancoro muttered.

"Captain-"

Andro turned us so I could see Akaavi standing in the doorway.

"Lokir-Ka managed to send us a message. He said that the Voss likely have a Mystic traveling with the Jedi, keeping her connected to whatever spell they have controlling her."

"You passed out before we were half-way there," Andro filled in the missing parts of my memory for me. "Lokir was at the factory when we arrived, helping hold the Commando's off. He was... worried about you," Andro muttered.

I almost laughed at the jealousy I heard in his tone. Lokir-Ka had been a friend when I first landed on Voss, helping me through a few adventures. He'd even developed a little crush on me and we might have made a night or two of it. That was about as deep as it went though.

I kissed Andro on the cheek because it was cute when he got jealous. "So if we kill the mystic, it'll release her?"

"We hope."

I paused considering. Even if we got to the Mystic first, that wouldn't stop Laresa from killing Xerrin. She needed to know the truth. "All right. We're not taking any chances. First we get to the battlefield and you guys make sure your mom and Xerrin don't kill each other. Knock Xerrin out. Tell your mom everything. She'll find the Mystic, and then you all will figure out how to stop the Voss."

They all nodded. Lancoro said quietly. "I'm sorry, Aunt Reide."

"Not your fault. The Voss played all of us, but they're gonna frakking regret it." I was exhausted. I wanted to sleep, but I didn't dare close my eye. "Andro?"

"Yeah Ria?"

"You better fix the droid."

He quirked a brow at me.

"You wanna get married or not?" I asked him.

His jaw clenched the way it did when I made him all emotional.

"I can perform such ceremonies Captain," Akaavi said quietly. "It would be my honor."

I nodded. Even that slight motion made me nauseatingly dizzy. I sucked in a few silent breaths trying to work through it and realized I was wheezing. Andro squeezed me tighter when he sensed my distress. His grip was painful for a few seconds but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. "Okay Akaavi you do it," I said finally. "You still gotta fix the droid, Andro."

He nodded. "I'll fix it."

"Then you may marry me. But first I gotta call an old friend."

Chapter 7: Things Only a Sith Can Do

The Sith

Balmorra

Overgrown Trail

I had ensured that Darth Lachris let the republic know we were coming. My sister didn't disappoint, they were waiting for us at the bottom of the lifts, well before we'd get to the base. And the battle was glorious.

I drove my lightsaber into a republic trooper. Another. A Jedi charged at me, and I licked my lips. Lord Praven's skill was better than half the fool Jedi Xerrin had brought to battle. But he'd been trained as a Sith before he'd been seduced to the lightside. I would make him suffer for it.

I was only fighting with one lighstaber at present and my blade clashed against the red one he still carried. Just as I was beginning to enjoy our dance, he ruined it when he started speaking.

"The darkside is not the way," Lord Praven said as our lightsabers pressed together again. "You need not live in the shad-"

I thrust my hand out and shot a blast of lightening right into his mouth. He choked on his own cry of pain as I sheathed my lightsaber, brought my other hand up and really made him suffer. I moved my blast to his body, so his armor melted into his skin, so those around him could finally hear his screams.

"Mom!"

Abruptly the lightening stopped. My gaze snapped up to reveal - my children. The three of them were running towards me, frantically waving their arms and shouting. Emotion crashed into me so fiercely I almost collapsed. Had I not been so entrenched in the darkside and the bloodlust of battle I might have choked back a sob. As it were all I could do for those precious seconds was stare at them in shocked disbelief.

They were shouting something but explosions had gone off around us and I couldn't make it out. I meant to move in their direction, was already adjusting my ear implant to so I could separate their voices from the noise of battle, but before I could complete the process Xerrin leaped at me.

I caught her with the force and knocked her away from me. She crashed into a pair of fighting men. The darkside closed around me as I focused on the reason I had thought my children dead; her lies. The image of Elliah being struck down followed, flashing behind my eye.

I ripped off my helmet. I withdrew both my lightsabers as I closed the distance between us. I wasn't going to use lightening, or my command of the darkside to kill her. I was going to beat her down like the Marauder I was, make every second of this battle a lesson in pain. And when I finally did kill her it still wouldn't stop - I was going to bask in her death as the Republic she'd chosen over her family lost to the power of the Sith. To my power.

I attacked her with utter violence. A ripple of pleasure rocked down my spine when she met my attack with the same ferocity. A small part of my mind thought her strength curious, but that voice was silenced as we began our dance.

The battle around us faded to a distant noise, our lightsabers humming rapidly before they crashed together, each strike an attempt to kill, to cause pain. She tried to get in close and I let her, rewarding her invasion of my space when I slammed my forehead into hers.

She stumbled backwards. I licked my lips. "This time when my blades cross your throat sister, I will take your head."

"You've already lost, Sith." Xerrin attacked.

So. Did. I.

The Bounty Hunter

"She's gonna killer her!" I slammed my fist into one of the Troopers helmets, grabbed his gun and shot another. When the Pub Troops caught sight of us, they of course assumed we were with the Empire, and started attacking.

"We've got to get to her!" Tana growled, snapping a neck.

Vanceto flipped a Jedi over him, and kicked him in the face to put him out. "I will clear the way!" He turned, got ready to roar at the Trooper in front of him, but before he could we heard the sound of blaster fire behind us and the trooper dropped.

Andro was supporting most of her weight, but Aunt Reide was holding her blaster with both hands, her face was white as a sheet. She looked seconds away from death. She also looked pissed.

"We'll clear the way. Get to your mom. Move!" Behind her Akaavi and Bodwaar charged forward and past us, carving a path.

All of us nodded. Grim determination setting in, we began plowing through the chaotic battle field towards the fighting sisters.

Balmorra Republic Orbital Station

The Titan's Flare

"Ready Tee-seven?" Doc whispered.

T7 gave Doc a beep in affirmative. About an hour ago, T7 had finally found Doc in the med bay at Bug town and told him a Voss Mystic was doing something to Xerrin. The little droid was sure of it. Doc hadn't even known there was a Voss traveling on her ship. T7 had explained that Xerrin had given the little droid orders not to tell anyone of the Voss's presence but the smart little droid was worried about her.

The two of them had snuck back onto her ship. Doc had his blaster in hand. "You shock the hell out of him T7, and I'll try to take him down."

T7 beeped another affirmative. Doc drew in a deep breath then kicked open the door to Xerrin's quarters. The Voss Mystic was meditating, a black cloud circling around him. T7 shocked the crap out of him and the Voss broke from his meditation his eyes snapping open.

"You should not have done that," the Mystic growled.

"Yes, he should have."

Doc glanced over his shoulder and was beyond relieved to see Master Sumalee standing there.

Before he could thank her though - the Mystic attacked.

The Sith

"Come on Jedi you can do better than this!" I had just planted my boot in her chest, knocking her back to the ground.

Xerrin did a backwards somersault to get to her feet, adjusted her grip on her lightsaber and with a fierce cry came at me again. She scored a point in our next sequence when her blade crossed my left arm, slicing through my armor to the skin beneath. I hissed in delight, welcoming the pain.

"You score no points for flesh wounds sister," I snarled at her engaging her again. I reveled in the dance, her skill, a truly worthy opponent that I would so enjoy killing for all she'd put me through. Our blades hissed and struck, an attack, a counter, the sweep of her foot, the block of a wrist, until I broke through her guard, delayed killing her for my own pleasure and cracked the back of my fist against her face. My strike split open her skin, drawing blood.

"How did it feel to kill him?" I asked her, allowing her to back up a step. "How did it feel to work a betrayal as well as any Sith, Jedi?"

She did not respond to my taunting. A warrior thru and thru she came at me again. But she was weakening and we both knew it. For a moment I thought her rapidly failing endurance odd, but the much stronger part of me delighted in her weakness. The next sequence was much shorter, and this time when I broke through her defenses I sliced the tip of my lightsaber across her face, the same way Kazrin had done to me.

"You're a much better warrior than our brother was," I observed, my tone mocking.

Suddenly her temper over came her and she surged at me with renewed strength. I laughed in delight, and once more our blades clashed violently together. It was bliss, my rage. My hatred. She broke our sequence backing up a step. A trooper tried to attack me but it took me seconds to kill him and shoving his dead body to the ground with a wild cry I leaped at my sister again.

She tried to shove her lightsaber into my gut, but I turned my wrist, my blade arcing downwards to deflect her's safely away from my insides and rammed my opposite fist into her mouth. Once. Twice. She stumbled backwards and shot up her hand to force push me away from her.

I scooted back mere inches then immediately charged giving her no reprieve. "Come on Sister! Where is your lightside now?!" My attacks were violent. Chaotic. There was no form just rage, just the violent battering of my blades against hers again and again and again until she dropped to one knee. I kicked the saber out of her hand and pointed my blades pointed at her throat.

I stared at her with such hatred on my face. "Why? WHY?!" I roared at her.

She gave me silence. Silence. I saw red. I stepped in closer, crossing my lightsabers against her throat. "In what galaxy did you think you could beat me. Jedi?"

"Mother stop!"

I turned my head to see Vanceto, my Vanceto... alive... and he proved it when he crashed into me, knocking me away from Xerrin. We tumbled a short distance and he maneuvered us so he caught our weight with a heavy grunt.

He smiled apologetically up at me. "Greetings mother. Aunt Xerrin is mind controlled by the Voss. They are responsible for this. In a moment, the Republic will call a retreat, you must halt your forces as well. We can explain."

My eye widened. Lancoro jumped on Xerrin, clocked her one good across the face to keep her down and gave Tana time to shoot a dart into her neck, knocking her out.

Mind controlled? My thoughts swam, spinning rapidly, all the while fighting against the urge to finish what I'd started. Slowly I reigned back my fury, but it was too great to be contained for long. I am certain the only reason it stayed passive was because I was staring at the faces of my very much alive children.

I heard someone shout, and turned my head to watch as the Republic troops began backing up. Gritting my teeth against the call of battle agitated bloodlust I activated my ear implant. "General Pierce, call our forces back."

"My Lord? But, they're retreating-"

"Do it!"

I didn't have to repeat myself again, slowly each of my squad's began withdrawing as the republic forces did the same. I got to my feet and snapped my attention back to my son. I touched his cheek. When his familiar affectionate smile spread across his Sith face I hugged him so very, very tightly. He returned my embrace.

"We apologize for being captured in the first place," he whispered.

I pulled back to look at him. "Your father?"

Sadness crashed into Vanceto's eyes. "He saved my life."

I snapped my gaze to Xerrin and my fury began peaking again. My son's voice pulled me back into place. "She was not herself. The Voss..."

Vanceto explained as I walked quickly to Tana and Lancoro. I grabbed my daughter and Lancoro both, pulling them tightly to me. Neither of them said a word, but they didn't have too, just returned my tight grip. I kissed both their foreheads. "Where's your Aunt?"

"I'm coming, I'm coming..."

There was something wrong with her voice. I watched Andronikos Revel bring Reide over and my breath caught in my throat. Reide sagged against no one. Her blaster hand was shaking. I released my children and my brow creased as I walked to her side. I took her weight on myself and stared at Revel in silent question.

"Mystic got her. Knifed her with some poison," he said roughly.

"Fraking arsehole," Reide muttered. "But I found em," she whispered.

"Yes you did." I whispered back. I glanced at Revel again the question in my eyes clear. Was there nothing we could do? His jaw tight, he shook his head and I felt the cold hand of despair punch another hole in my heart.

"Hey, I got married," Reide dropped her head onto my shoulder. "He's a..." she had to pause to suck in a wheezing breath. The very motion looked as if it pained her. "...good pick right?"

"He'll do," I murmured back to her, and was rewarded with her weak laughter.

"I don't... wanna go on my back, Laresa. Not from some... frakking poison," Reide said so very quietly. She forced her own head up so she could look at me. "You do it."

My jaw clenched. It took me a moment before I could speak without my voice shaking. "I love you, sister."

Reide smiled. I did not expect her to say it back and she didn't have too. She'd always proven it. "Finish it," she whispered. I nodded once.

I couldn't wait. If I gave myself time I would dishonor her because I wouldn't be able to do it. I did what I'd done a thousand times before; I released the blade on my saber with one smooth motion and drove it through my sisters heart. I kept my eye on hers the whole time.

I felt like I'd lost half myself when that fiery gray gaze went blank. My heart constricted, my anguish exploding, awakening my rage, my want to destroy. In the next breath my children swarmed me, hugging me tightly, anchoring me to my pain. Just my pain. And my love for them.

I knew I was lost when I realized it was no longer enough.

[To conclude December 20th, just in case the world does end on Friday :p]

Chapter 8: The Path That Must Be Walked

The Sith

I learned that before Reide died she had sent a Jedi friend of Risha's, Master Sumalee, to Xerrin's ship to get the Mystic. Doc and T7 had already been there and together they'd been able to capture him. The republic wouldn't let me near him of course but, I didn't need to be. Xerrin would tell me what I needed to know, one way or the other.

I sat outside of med bay in the republic base while the Jedi healers tended to whatever the Voss had done to Xerrin. Several Jedi and a angry squad of troopers stood watch over us. I'm still not sure why my request to stay was granted when I'd had Lancoro carry Xerrin back to the republic base, but, it had been and an uneasy cease fire was called between the two warring sides. For the moment, the Voss had become a bigger threat, but the Jedi were naive to think that the Republic would care as much as they did. Troopers didn't use the force, and whatever the Voss were doing did not affect the majority of their military. I was well aware we were on severely borrowed time.

Tana sat on one side of me my hand clenched between hers. Lancoro on the other side of me, though he said nothing, just kept looking down at his hands. I kept my hand on his shoulder. Let go of him only to do the same to Vanceto who squatted in front of me, his arm across my knees his chin resting on his forearm. Their presence was calming, even though the feeling of their sadness, their anger, all their volatile emotions nearly overwhelmed me at certain intervals. I was a ticking time bomb but I would not allow my children to know of my internal struggle.

I looked at my daughter. "You didn't tell me of Watcher Two," I said quietly.

Tana smiled privately. "I hadn't had the chance."

"I approve. She is strong."

"I'm really glad. I think I love her."

Vanceto looked thoughtful. "This complicates things, sister."

Tana shot her brother a look. "How so?"

"Lancoro and I meant to torture your boyfriend. I am uncertain what to do about a girlfriend."

Tana chuckled lightly. Vanceto grinned faintly.

Lancoro was much more subdued. I watched him release light a smile. His pain was so much stronger than the either of his siblings because of Mako. I knew that pain well. My first instinct was to tell him to soothe his anguish in the blissful rage of revenge and vengeance. In bloodshed and conquest. I went to open my mouth but Elliah's voice rang throughout my mind -

"He will need his mother, not the dark lord."

At the time I had told Elliah I was both. Then it was true. I was too much of the Dark Lord now. I cleared my throat, tempered back my urges and claimed one of Lancoro's big hands. "It hurts now," I said quietly. "It may always. But you will be stronger for it. I am proof."

Lancoro swallowed hard and silently kissed my cheek. I smiled very faintly and let my head rest briefly against his own.

I heard the door to Xerrin's room open and glanced down the hallway as the Jedi healers began filling out. Master Satele Shan let them walk away, and remained standing in the hallway looking at me. I understood the silent message.

I looked away from the Jedi Master and back at my children. "All of you, hear me well. Now is your time. You must stand in your own strength and with each other. This families legacy is now told through you."

"We will go with you mother, to stop the Voss-" Vanceto started but I interrupted him.

"No. That is not your path, it is mine. And if I do not return you will not mourn me. You will not grieve. Even my death will be your strength. Do you understand?"

They were silent several moments. Lancoro was the first to speak. "Yes ma'am."

I looked at my daughter, at my other son. Both of them echoed Lancoro's words. I rose to my feet, and kissed them in turn. "I love you."

I did not wish to hear it back from them, I could feel it. That was powerful enough. I walked away from my children and followed Master Satele into an empty room.

The Bounty Hunter

There wasn't anything else we could say as mom walked away. I had the sinking feeling in my gut I might never see her again and to say that hurt was an understatement. I couldn't dwell on that though. She was right. Everything was different now. We had to stand on our own. We couldn't dishonor Aunt Reide or mom in any other way.

"Van!"

I glanced up and watched as Vanceto turned just in time; Vette flung herself into his arms.

"I love you. I love you. I love you." She kept saying it in between kisses Vanceto was trying to capture. Finally he did and I had to look away. It wasn't that I wasn't happy for him, I was. It was just that I'd couldn't watch them, not without feeling like my heart was being ripped out.

I focused on mom's words instead. I'd would live, as much as that sucked right now. And I would be stronger for it. I looked at Tana, saw her watching our brother with a wistful look in her eyes, and nudged her. "Don't you have somewhere to be too Moff Jinobie?"

Tana smiled at the thought, then sobered as she met my gaze. "What are you gonna do?"

"My new job," I said to her. "With a little help from Revel. And Kaliyo if you don't mind."

Tana immediately understood. She hugged me tightly. "I don't mind. I'm not a field agent anymore and Kaliyo hates Dromund Kaas."

"Yeah that place sucks," I agreed. Tana laughed. She squeezed me tighter for another second, let me go and hurried off.

I stood up, pausing for just a moment to watch Vanceto and Vette embrace. Vette was good for him. She'd keep him level. Keep him right on the edge, just where he'd need to be to step into the role he had to fill.

I backed up and turned around walking out of the wing. The Troopers escorted me until I was out of the building. I found Kaliyo lingering at the gates, smoking a cigarra and giving the republic guards snarky glances.

"Heard you hate Dromund Kaas," I said as I walked up to her.

Kaliyo looked at me with that unreadable face of hers and said nothing.

"I'm short a crew member. You done playing Imperial Agent? Wanna get back to your roots?"

"What are you offering Bounty Hunter?"

"I could use someone else on my side that runs circles around the Underworld like you do."

Kaliyo decked me flat out, splitting my lip and pulling out my little grunt of surprise.

I quirked a brow at her. "What was that for?"

"Loyalty is big to me Bounty Hunter. Need to know I can trust you. You knock me out again to go play hero I'll shoot yah."

I shoved the back of my hand over my lip. "Got it."

"Not kidding. Your sister won't care. I don't need a hero."

I held up my hands. "I got it the first time. No hero ****."

Kaliyo looked satisfied.

"For what it's worth," I added, lowering my hands. "I didn't do it just to save your life. I knew you'd come after us."

"That's why there's hope for you yet. Gotta middle name?"

"No. Why?"

"Don't like your first one. Maybe I'll just call you Jin. Or Obe."

I smirked faintly. "How about you call me Boss?"

Kaliyo let go a crooked smile. "Maybe in public."

For the first time since Mako died, I took a tiny breath that didn't hurt.

The Sith

For the first few seconds Satele said nothing, and I didn't either, we simply regarded each other. It was almost ridiculous that we were an hour after battle, in the middle of the war, two leaders on two very opposite ends of the spectrum merely looking at each other.

"Should be I concerned about leaving you alone with her?" Satele finally asked.

"Of course you should," I said evenly. "I am Sith."

The Grand Master said nothing for a long moment. "She was not herself. I don't think you were either."

I narrowed my eye at her. "Do you know why it is so easy for Jedi to turn to the darkside?" I didn't wait for her response, I stepped into her and growled out - "Because in the heart of a true warrior, in the reality of battle there is no difference. You fight your nature. I embrace it. The Voss did nothing but sharpen ideals she already had."

Satele studied me in silence for another moment, but said nothing. I'd had enough of Jedi justifications. I walked past her.

"I know what a mother would do for her child."

My steps paused. There was something in her tone - I turned halfway to glance at her arching a questioning brow.

She released a subtle nod. "I won't pretend my actions may have been any better if put in your place. But they're not dead-"

"Reide and Elliah are."

"Don't lose your way again Master Jinobie," she quietly continued like I hadn't interrupted. "You owe them both that."

My back stiffened that she would dare call me Master and not...

I had been once. And the only good thing I could say about it was that it had given me... balance. I nodded once at her. Nothing more need be said between us. I walked into Xerrin's room.

As I shut the door Xerrin focused her eyeless Miraluka gaze on me.

"Reide is dead," I told her flatly.

I felt the emotion that slammed into her. "How?" She asked so quietly.

"She got my children of off Voss. A mystic poisoned her in the process."

I could hear the agony in her voice. "Oh god, Laresa. What have I done..."

I did not want to feel her pain, her regret, her guilt; it was too much. I thickened the darkside around me like a protective barrier and snapped - "Where is this Voss that thinks he can destroy the force?"

Xerrin went quiet.

"Do not." I growled the warning, surging towards her. "You will tell me."

Xerrin still said nothing for another long moment. Then, finally, "You can't go alone."

"There is no other way. Our time grows short. Tell me."

"Yes, there is. I'll go with you," She rose to her feet.

"Xerrin," I paused. Worked my jaw back and forth. "This is the last good thing I can do."

Xerrin opened her mouth to speak again but I wouldn't let her.

"Let me avenge her, Xerrin," my voice betrayed my precarious state. "Let me avenge Elliah. Let me avenge us both in a way that you cannot."

Xerrin hesitated, staring at me. Finally she began speaking, telling me everything that had been left over in her mind because of the Voss sorcery.

"Can the force be used planet side?" I asked when she had finished.

"Yes. They only hid it's power from me. That's why you couldn't feel the children while they were on Voss. There was always a mystic close enough to act like a shield, but had any of them tried they would have been able to use their force ability."

"And the Voss's mind control?"

Xerrin paused, searching her own mind for the answers. "It's a process. It can't be done on a whim."

I had heard all I needed too. I turned on my heel and marched towards the door.

"It wasn't because I didn't accept you. I thought that might be for a moment but, it wasn't."

I halted.

"Maybe it was my own fears. But I'd.... " Her voice broke just a moment. She strengthened it and continued. "I'd decided when we parted after the emperor that you were right, about a lot of things. I'd ask Doc to marry me. I couldn't wait to tell you."

I didn't want to hear this, but Xerrin wasn't done. She moved to stand in front of me, blocking my path and touched my shoulders. "I wanted to reconnect Laresa. I wanted to understand you. You had so much. And even moreso you had the family that I'd lost, given up for the order. I don't regret being a Jedi, but I do regret not being your sister. I'm sorry, Laresa. I'm so sorry."

I closed my eye. I cannot say that sadness didn't rock through me hearing what had almost happened. Things might have gone so differently had the Voss not played both sides for fools. But they had, and we'd given into our very natures, into the biases that ran rampant through both sides. I realized I didn't feel any guilt over my actions, but the consequences of my choices, of the path I'd chosen to walk down could not be ignored.

There was only one way this could end now.

I opened my eye and looked at my sister. Xerrin had forgiven me once, as only a Jedi could. But I wasn't a Jedi, I was Sith. After a moment I admitted, "The part of me capable of forgiving you died with Reide. But you don't need forgiveness, Xerrin. Not from someone like me."

Xerrin said nothing and I could sense that now she finally understood; I, was gone. I pulled out of her embrace and walked out.

The Jedi

I hung my head in my hands. Had I been capable of tears they would have poured out of me. It would have been a much needed release. I was wallowing in my sadness when I heard the door to the room open, raised my head and saw Doc standing there.

He was holding my Jedi robe. And my lightsaber. "I'm going with you," he said before I could get a word out. "And that's the end of it."

I walked rose from the bed, walked over to him and pressed my mouth against his. It was a hard passionate, loving kiss that he returned with just as much fervor. After a long moment we broke it off. I took both items from his hand, sliding on my robe, equipping my lightsaber to my belt. "We must hurry."

Chapter 9: The Power of The Darkside

The Sith

Voss

The Darkheart Temple

Jaesa could not be allowed into the next section of my families future. She was as dark, as black as I was. I ordered her with me, and she obediently obeyed as we set course for Voss.

When we reached Voss's orbit, I killed her. I couldn't allow her to be used in battle to make the Voss stronger or turned against me while I fought them. I let her death feed my hatred, and used her body in the cockpit.

Xerrin had explained that a hundred people had been captured, the species hadn't mattered. Voss magic and Sel-Makor's dark power combined in conjunct with the ritual sacrifice, on the anniversary of the abomination that had occurred on Nathema could destroy the energy known as the force.

I had faced Sel-Makor before when I'd struck down Darth Fulminis. It had been my mistake not to have allowed the Voss I'd worked with to actually kill him. A mistake I now intended to rectify.

I expected that the stealth technology in my ship would hold past the blockade and it did. When I broke into Voss's atmosphere I uncloaked my vessel, set the coordinates and used the escape shuttle. The ship crashed in front of the Dark Heart Temple, and I landed just a few clicks away.

I disappeared into the force, moved undetected past the chaos my distraction had caused and ran inside the temple. I uncloaked once inside and killed every Commando that stood in my path on my way into the inner most sanctum. The Voss were well trained warriors - but without their mystics constant foresight in any basic battle they were just another enemy to be killed.

I rounded a corner and saw two large closed doors. A pair of Voss Mystics stood in front of them, standing guard. They immediately saw me and began whispering. I could feel their power probing at my mind, trying to gain access. I charged at them.

Before my lightsaber could cut them down they disappeared. I could not see them, something other than the force blocking them from my sight. I went very still, only the sound of my pulsing saber echoing so very quietly around me. I heard the hiss of air as one of them reappeared and caught him with the backward thrust of my lightsaber. I pulled my blade out and whirled, removing his head before he could collapse.

The second appeared in front of me just as his comrade hit the ground, his knife aimed for my throat. I was faster and I shot out my hand driving a blast of lightening into his face. He cried out loudly, dropping the knife and clutching at his charred skin. I sheathed my lightsaber and picked up the fallen dagger. The Mystic was crying out in pain as I studied the blade remembering what had happened to Reide. My fury surging, I snapped my dark gaze up to the Voss, grabbed him by the shoulder and shoved the blade into his chest.

He cried out again and I cruelly ripped the blade out, dropping it to the ground. The mystic clutched at his chest, his agony rising as he died.

Stepping over his dead body, I reached to withdraw one of my lightsabers when I suddenly felt the energy of their deaths seeping out of their useless carcasses and surging into me, merging with the darkside of the force; a strange and unexpected circumstance - perhaps because of the Voss ritual going on behind those doors. I paused to study it effects. They were not controlling, they were strengthening. Good. I reached to push open the door when I felt -

I whirled around and stared at Xerrin. "What are you doing here?" I demanded.

"Being a big sister for once," she said so simply.

I narrowed my eye at her. "You fool," I hissed. "Do you realize what must-"

"You'll do it. I'll ensure no one stops you."

I paused for just a moment. She was giving me her stubborn face and I knew I wouldn't be able to sway her. I merely nodded, turned back to the door and kicked it open.

The room was wide. Voss Commandos stood on the outer edges. In the middle the hundred captured all kneeled around a large pit, ready to sacrifice themselves because of Voss mind control. I had to relent that the Mystic's power was impressive.

On a top upper ledge I saw three Voss, the true mystics I assumed, glowing a strong golden color, watching with emotionless expressions on their faces. They didn't even look up as Xerrin and I entered the room.

"Do not allow them to interrupt the ritual! Kill them!" I heard a Voss shout. "Children of the Darkheart, give yourselves to him! For the greater good of all Voss! The Mystics see! You must act! Now!"

The Commandos started firing at us. The lesser Mystics started chanting. And the mind controlled began jumping in the pit.

"Try not to kill them," I told her and let her deal with the Commandos as I sheathed my lightsaber and raced towards the center of the room.

I blocked blaster fire coming my way with the annoyed twist of my palm, sending their bolts spinning back at them. I leaped, landed on a ledge next to all the idiots waiting to kill themselves, held out my arms and channeled the darkside of the force. I called upon a wide circle of lightening that crashed down around them. There was no escaping it - before they could sacrifice themselves I killed them, turned the Mystics own magic against them and absorbed their very essences into myself instead.

It was pain. It was power. It was agony. But it was addicting. I heard a Voss scream - "NO! Kill her then throw her into the pit!"

I stopped channeling the lightening. Never before had I felt such power. Or such pain. I couldn't even begin to describe the vortex churning inside of me. Two Mystics attacked me, and I caught them both by the throat, crushing their windpipes without thought. Literally without thought - I just did it, and tossed their dead bodies to the ground like they were nothing.

The rest of the Mystics came at me with knives in their hands, trying to swarm me like a pack of rabid crystfangs. And if they didn't have knives, they stood there chanting, a dark black cloud swirling around them, their power slamming against my skull, trying to gain access to my mind.

I heard myself laugh. The hiss of my lightsabers echoed out. They tried to blink in and out of sight, but this time I could see them, their frames like dark shadows. They were fast, I would give them credit for that. Severing a limb didn't slow their attack either, but I delighted in the challenge, in the carnage of it all.

I struck the last of them down and heard a wild cry. A lone Voss, their little ring leader perhaps had charged at me. Two quick moves and his hands struck my wrists, a jolt of some strange energy erupting from his palms that shocked my nerves and forced me to drop my blades. He withdrew a knife from his belt in the next motion, his movements as fast as any trained Sith and I hissed in delight as I was forced to block his attacks with my armored forearms, ducking his swipes, twisting my body around his to dodge the thrust of his knife and slammed my elbow into the back of his head in the same motion.

He stumbled, disappeared and didn't realize I could see through his stupid little trick now. I caught him before he could attack me, dropping to kick his feet out from underneath him. He shouted in surprise as his back hit the ground and I thrust my hands out, drilling lightening into his body. He screamed in pain, but even I admit I was impressed when he surged upwards, smoke rising from his robes as he pushed through my lightening like it was the gust of a strong wind.

I let him get closer, a little closer still and then I stopped the blast. He surged into me like he'd been pushed and shoved his knife into my stomach. I barely felt the pain. My lips tilted into a cruel smile as I grabbed his shoulder and shoved my hand into his chest, closing my fist around his heart.

I canted my head, staring into his eyes, reading his thoughts as his burnt face contorted in pain. It was he who had tortured my sister. Robbed her of her mind. Made her raise a hand against me. Set everything in motion.

Pure hatred surged through me. "You lose," I snarled and ripped his heart out. His body dropped, and I threw the useless organ in my fist to the ground next to him like it was nothing.

"Laresa!"

I glanced at Xerrin as I pulled the knife from my stomach. I could feel the poison in my system, but it was a distant burning sensation to the tormented power of absorbing the energy of the dead. I dropped the blade to the ground, and looked down into the pit. The looming darkness was almost welcoming.

"Don't you dare Laresa!" Xerrin shouted.

Before she could say another word I jumped down into the black hole where Sel-Makor waited.

As I fell I threw my lightsaber up at the sphere floating over the pit, shattering it. The intense wave of its contained force power reverberated out. I sucked it in as I landed at the bottom of the pit. The phantom, glowing, monstrous manifestation of Sel-Makor appeared. Lightening flew my fingers again, closing around him, containing him as I drained his power and forced him into me.

As I expected, he was not opposed to finding a more solid form. His utterly dark, evil power exploded inside of me, merging with the darkside that literally coursed through my veins and like any vengeful Sith he immediately began trying to take control of me, to exert his will over my own.

I couldn't resist him forever. But I knew how to kill him

"Laresa!"

I heard Xerrin's shout as I climbed back out of the pit immediately sinking to my knees. I was trembling. Sel-Makor's voice was in my head, an endless loop of pain and destruction and death and rage; all things I had spent the last week feasting upon to cover up my grief.

I stared hard at Xerrin as she slid to her knees next to me. Gritting my teeth I withdrew one of my sabers and shoved it at her hilt first, meeting her gaze. "Do it."

She stared at me. The pit. Back at me. Understanding dawned. Her jaw clenched. "I won't. We will find another way. The Jedi can heal you-"

"Stop. There is no time. You have too."

"Laresa-"

"I am a Sith." I growled. "You are a Jedi. Do it!"

"You are my sister!"

I shot out my hand and gave her a nice hard shock of lightening to provoke her. It took everything, everything inside of me, every small part that was left of me not to kill her. "DAMN YOU DO IT!" I roared.

Xerrin blanched at the hit, but my utterly stubborn sister wouldn't budge. "NO!"

With a growl I surged to my feet. My sister rose too but she would not be intimidated. I wanted to kill her. It would be so easy. For a second I lost my mind to Sel-Makor's voice and didn't understand why she was alive. I lifted my hands - and focused on her face. My sisters face. It was that tiny recognition that allowed me to regained control but, it was like trying to stop an avalanche.

If I began fighting her there would be no containing the monster inside of me.

"Xerrin..."

"Fight it Laresa. You have too. We'll go-"

I turned her out, my mind spinning. I whirled and saw Doc watching us. Perfect. I raised my hand, closed the force around his neck and began killing him.

I felt Xerrin's panic. "Laresa stop!"

But I didn't. I kept force choking Doc, harder in fact. Xerrin came at me, trying to use the force to push me but I didn't budge. She used my lightsaber to give me a few warning cuts but I didn't even feel it. "Laresa don't!"

She tried to ram the hilt of the saber into my temple to knock me out but all it did was make me bleed a little.

"Do it! DO IT!" I screamed at her, my vision swimming. I backhanded her hard enough to break skin, but kept my grip on Doc. She stumbled, but quickly regained her footing.

I squeezed harder, staring at her with pure hatred on my face, taunting her. Doc would be dead in seconds and we both knew it.

"Laresa I can't, I-"

"DO IT! DO IT! GODSDAMIT IT JEDI I WILL BURN EVERY-"

The sure strike of her blade, my blade, stabbing into my heart robbed me of my breath.

I released my hold on Doc because I had no choice. I could feel my life force fading. Could feel it, the nightmare that was Sel-Makor howling in fury as it began to die with me, its power the only reason I hadn't died instantly.

Xerrin went to pull the lightsaber out but I grabbed her wrist, halting her motion and keeping it lodged where it was. I met her gaze. "Watch over them for me," I whispered.

"I will, I promise." she whispered brokenly. "I love you, sister."

I felt my faint smile. "Should have... let me fall off the roof..."

The sound she made was more choked sob then laugh.

When I was sure that this power that none should ever posses would die with me, I let the blade go. She pulled it out and I dropped. Xerrin caught my weight, pulling me close to her.

The endless, numbing, insane loop of power and pain blissfully stopped, reminding me what peace felt like. I dropped my head to my sisters shoulder, my gaze falling past her. I can't say I wasn't surprised when I realized I could see them; Kazrin. Elliah. Reide. Even Malavai. I wanted to tell Xerrin but she'd just have to find out on her own.

A second later, I joined them.

Chapter 10: Legacy

The Jedi

Dubrillion

It was an interesting mix. Vette, Pierce, Risha, Andro, Bodwaar and Akaavi, standing in solemnly behind what was left of my family.

My sister's children stood next to me, close to each other. Tana stood between her brothers, Lancoro's hand in hers, her head on Vanceto's shoulder. They stared in silence as we watched the flames burn around Reide and Laresa.

I turned my gaze from my sisters and looked at them. Their faces, their eyes, their rigid stance and the square of their shoulders as they each digested the pain of loss in their own way. I did not know them. But I would. My siblings and I had been ripped apart by war. Never again would I allow codes, or misunderstanding, or intolerance to separate my family again.

I knew exactly what we had to do.

One Week Later...

The Imperial Agent

"Stop fidgeting, you look great."

I was standing in front of the mirror, adjusting my uniform. Shara code name Watcher Two, came up behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist and put her chin on my shoulder.

I laid my hands atop of hers meeting her gaze in the mirror. "I still feel like everything's more real now. In way it wasn't before."

"Because we're not spying on Jadus, trying to undermine him at every move. You're running the operation in earnest. And I get to take the Grand Moff home every night. It's a delightful win, win."

"What a big failure to your pure breeding program you are," I teased.

Shara laughed. "I suppose if the urge ever strikes me there's always your brother isn't there?"

My eyes widened and she broke into laughter. You'd never have guessed Shara's sense of humor unless you really knew her, like I did. I turned in her arms, kissing her gently. "Once you go chiss, you never go back. Remember that." I winked at her.

"Mmm, don't I know it." She kissed me again. "Ready?"

"See you in a few days." I touched her cheek, picked up my briefcase and walked out of our home. Vanceto waited for me outside, leaning against a speeder for once without the entourage him being the Emperor demanded.

So far he'd only had to execute one General and the former War minister who didn't like the direction he intended to take the Empire in. As Grand Moff I had made the announcement that he had the full support of the Imperial Intelligence Agency, a title he had restored. General Pierce had sworn allegiance to him and that meant all of mom's army with it. Even Mandalore, thanks in part to Lancoro's influence all fully supported his bid to power. And since there were very few Sith Lords left powerful enough to challenge Vanceto for right now, it was sticking. I expected on top of all the rebuilding we had to do there would be many power plays in the coming months but it was a damn good start.

"Into the mouth of the enemy we go," he said.

I nodded. This was going to be a very, very interesting.

The Bounty Hunter

I was standing in the space port, leaning against a wall with my arms crossed over my chest, waiting for Tana's and Van's shuttle to arrive. Kaliyo waited with me. Since I'd taken over Aunt Reide's spot as the Boss of the Underworld, she'd become a damn good ally to have.

In the week after Mom and Aunt Reide's death we'd done exactly as Mom had told us - combined our strength and made sure we took care of business. In the quiet moments I often wondered if this had been her and Dad's purpose for us all along. Not that I cared, in fact I kinda like my new line of work.

It had been my job to re-secure the Underworld and keep the alliance between the crooks going. I was actually a little surprised that Ivory hadn't made the first power play for it. Maybe it was because of my rep as a Bounty Hunter. I still had eyes on the black list, though Bounty Hunting had become a part-time gig, it wasn't something I was going to give up either.

Andro had gathered up his crew to rally the others in support of me. Kaliyo had used her connections to spread some rumors about my rep, and help conjure support among the riff raff that I was legit enough to take my Aunts place. Risha and Vette had both used their connects to do the same. I still worked with Blizz and Gault had been downright giddy when he found out. Torian was the only one who had left and last I heard he was back with his old clan. Bodwaar had stuck with me. I'd asked Akaavi to go to Dromund Kaas and watch Vanceto's back. She'd agreed.

So far, things were going as planned. Today was going to be one hell of an interesting day though.

"Want to get a drink after this little party, Bounty Hunter?" Kaliyo asked.

I glanced over at her, hide my smile and turned my attention back in front of me as Vanceto and Tana's shuttle came in. "What's in it for me?"

Kaliyo smirked. "Pity sex if I'm drunk enough."

I chuckled. "We'll keep it to just getting drunk." Kaliyo was hot, but right now I didn't want anybody. I hadn't even taken off my wedding ring yet. Still, she was becoming a good friend and I'd be stupid if I didn't admit that everything, including mourning Mako, had been a little easier with her crazy *** around.

I pushed off the wall as Vanceto and Tana headed in my direction, hugging them both. "Xerrin is already inside," I told them.

"The look on their faces when they see us will be classic." Vanceto grinned wolfishly.

I kinda felt like that was the understatement of the year.

The Jedi

Coruscant

Senate Tower

The room was packed. Grand Master Satele sat next to General Garza and Supreme Chancellor Saresh. I had just finished testifying. For the last week an uneasy cease fire had been called and today was the day for the full senate hearings about everything that had transpired on Voss and beyond.

"Thank you for your candor, Master Xerrin," Chancellor Saresh said as I finished.

"Just Xerrin," I corrected gently. "I am no longer a Jedi." That brought a quite hush to the room. Before they could grill me about that, I continued, "Chancellor Saresh, Grand Master Shan, General Garza, members of the Senate, I have invited someone here today that I felt needed to be a part of these proceedings for the sake of our future."

"This is a private inquiry, Ma-" Chancellor Saresh corrected herself, "Xerrin. Who did you invite?"

"Sith Emperor Vanceto Jinobie."

My mouth twitched in amusement at the shocked expressions on their faces. Before they could argue one way or the other, Doc had opened the door to the room to let Vanceto, Veltana, and Lancoro walk in. Vanceto pulled his hood back, exposing his Sith face and Veltana did the same. I had employed the help of Master Sumalee to smuggle them onto Coruscant.

The troopers in the room immediately pointed their blasters at my niece and nephews. Vanceto calmly put up his hands. Tana rolled her eyes. Lancoro glared at the Trooper closest to him.

"Get that gun outta my face," I heard him snap. I bit my lip to keep from chuckling.

"Master Xerrin what is the meaning of-"

"Supreme Chancellor Saresh we are unarmed. I arrived with no additional forces. I merely wish to be heard," Vanceto said.

I stepped aside and motioned Vanceto forward. He moved almost mockingly slowly so the Troopers wouldn't shoot him and I had to resist the urge to laugh again.

Stop that I mouthed to him. He merely grinned wolfishly at me. I hugged him as he approached and then stepped aside as he took to the podium.

Lancoro had shoved the blaster out of his face, put a hand on Tana's back and they walked right past the soldiers and sat down. I sat with them, and we patiently waited while Saresh covered her microphone and whispered in hush tones to General Garza and Master Shan.

Vanceto glanced back at me. I nodded once. He turned his attention to the front of the room and without waiting for them to decide he began speaking. As he did, Master Shan shushed them and they started listening.

"The start of the Great Galactic war was caused by the machinations of an insane Emperor. An Emperor destroyed by the combined forces of both Jedi and Sith. Had the Voss not began their treachery, regardless of the events that transpired because of General Rakton, peace might have been reached. We may still reach that peace today. That is why I am here, to offer the Republic a true treaty that would restore the Galaxy to the state it was before the war."

The was a murmur around the room before the Chancellor called for silence. Vanceto paused, then continued.

"As a measure to prove my sincerity, I wish to present to this council the stealth technology we've employed for your own usage. I have given control of the powerful weapon known as the Eradicator to Queen Risha Drayen of Dubrillion. Should both sides agree to the treaty and follow its terms with no further hostilities, she has agreed to destroy the eradicator for us both to see. Should we decide to continue the war, she will use it as she see's fit with sworn prejudice against both our idiot asses."

There was a mixture of laughter and more hushed murmuring.

"Do you mean to force our hand with the threat-" General Garza started but Vanceto interrupted her.

"If I meant to force you hand, I would have pointed it's power at this planet and I would not be offering to return to you things that were once yours before the Emperor started this insanity. The mere fact that a Sith has relinquished control of its power should be evidence enough of my sincerity." He said simply. "Intolerance has spawned our hatred of each other. We do not approve of all of your ways, anymore than you approve of yours. That doesn't mean we can't live in peace. There are plenty of common enemies we can fight together if we must. And when the Emperor rears his ugly head again, we will need each other."

He paused as the room exploded into more murmurs. Master Shan looked, amused. It made me smile. Vanceto continued. "To help relations, may I present the Sith Empire's offered Liaison to the republic. Your former Supreme Chancellor and now titled - Ambassador Janus."

Janarus who was seated in the room next to Risha, stood up, nodding at Vanceto. His appearance in all this would help matters a great deal. Regardless of the circumstances of his resignation, he was still respected in many circles in the Senate.

"We have the power, today, to have peace. Real peace," Vanceto said. "After all the lives lost, think of the families that could be restored, planets given the chance to remake themselves - I implore you all, is there any good reason to continue this war?"

Together we walked out of the Senator Tower.

"Think they'll sign it?" Veltana asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. The deliberation is a good sign though."

"I bloody hope so," Vanceto said as we stepped out into the sunlight. He stretched, then set his hands on his waist, surveying the busy cityscape of Coruscant. "There is much to be said for being an Emperor who requires no senate. I told the Sith Empire my plan, and it was done."

"And you thought I was bad when I won the Great Hunt?" Lancoro watched his brother amusedly, poking him in his puffed out chest.

I trailed my gaze over the three of them, teasing each other, barely containing my laughter. "You are so much like her," I said quietly. "All of you."

They paused. Looked at each other, then looked at me. "You've got the stories," Tana said.

"Ahh. The one's Aunt Reide wouldn't tell us because she was a part of them," Vanceto added.

My lips twitched. "Perhaps."

"Name your price, Jedi," Lancoro grinned faintly.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "First, it's Aunt Xerrin. Second, I'm not a Jedi anymore. Third..." I paused. Then I continued. "Dinner. All of us. Every other Sunday. On Dubrillion."

I have to admit a part of me feared they would turn my offer down. I watched them look at each other in question, some silent conversation had between siblings. My heart ached a little as I remembered having that connection what seemed like a lifetime ago.

Lancoro spoke for them. He was different, even not knowing him as well as I wanted too (yet) I could sense he was becoming stronger, more comfortable in his pain and the burden of living with it. "We'll work up to the Aunt part. Deal for dinner. We require a sample of the goods though."

I smiled, perhaps a bit mysteriously, turned and began walking. They followed. "Your mother, and Reide, may or may not have locked a visiting Senator in the Jedi Archives, stolen his speeder and may or may not have crashed said speeder into a statue in this very square. And may or may not have spent the next two days in hiding for fear of the consequences."

Their laughter was a joyous thing, echoing out to the ghosts of those that had passed. Even if the Republic refused the offer for peace their legacy was strong.

Perhaps that, would be enough.

Epilogue

The Bounty Hunter

Outter Rim

The VoidHound

"You bring that **** on my spaceport again, I'll shot you in the face. Got it?" I narrowed my eyes at the Justicar. I really hated dealing with them, but smuggling was smuggling. It didn't pay to hold any biases. I just kept hoping a few of them would end up my black list. Then all bets were off.

Before the moron could answer, Kaliyo threw open the door to my office. She gave the Justicar a brief, distracted glance. "Get out."

The Justicar paused like he was going to argue but most people who knew Kaliyo knew better. Instead he shot me a none too happy look I wanted to smack right off and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

I gave Kaliyo my full attention. "What's up?"

"Troubles brewing."

"Troubles always brewing. What now?"

"Ever heard of Makeb?"

The End

(for now)

• 4 months later...
Poppin in to give you all an update that I completely upgraded Legacy. Meaning because it was so long I couldn't just leave it as is, so I went in and cleaned it up quite a bit, added in a ton of back-story, had some cover art done and even made a trailer for it. You can check it out in it's final version: Legacy. Enjoy!