Whats the deal with Mission Discovery?

fievelgoespostal

These items add a special mission to your list. Typically this mission will take a bit longer than a normal mission, but the rewards are a lot better. So far I have used a couple I got through slicing, and was getting 2-3 rewards (some purple) from each one.

I would think they might be worth buying but the price would have to be low enough to make up for the fact that you ALSO have to pay to send your minion out on them.

Also, you can fail them. Which happened to me once, and I was not pleased.

I got "Missions Discovery: Archaeology" from Slicing and used it. Got a fourth option in my Crew Skills called "Slicing" however there are no missions in that option. Is that a bug, or do I get a mission in there eventually? Edited by LexC

To add onto this, does anyone know if these are one time use things or do they create a mission that is forever then in your rotation of available missions?

I used one of these and noticed a small lock in the corner that was unlocked and not even thinking went on the mission and ... failed. I haven't seen the mission since and am wondering if I had locked it would it still be available?

Still no luck, been waiting all day and no missions have been given to me in that category... Could this be a glitch, should I try to use another "Missions Discovery: Archaeology" item? Just thinking out loud here, and hoping for some help.

[EDIT] As I logged back in I noticed that Slicing skill is not an option anymore, so I've decided to have a look under Archaeology skill and under 'Mission Level 17-24' I've found a Mission called "Treasure Map" it costs 450 credits with a duration of 12 minutes, and the rewards are higher than usual.

[EDIT2]The rewards were:

2x Blue Igneous Crystal

9x Red Igneous Crystal

3x Green Igneous Crystal

19x Sacred Artifact Fragment

3x Eralam Crystal

Edited by LexC

To add onto this, does anyone know if these are one time use things or do they create a mission that is forever then in your rotation of available missions?

I used one of these and noticed a small lock in the corner that was unlocked and not even thinking went on the mission and ... failed. I haven't seen the mission since and am wondering if I had locked it would it still be available?

Good question and one that I'd also like an answer to. I have done several blue splicing missions and have only ever been able to do them once before they seems to disappear forever. Based on that, I get the impression that they are single use/run only per mission discovery item.

They are in fact one time use. However they also give ridiculously good rewards. Usually a Rich or Plentiful yield in multiple categories. They also seem to have a guaranteed "crit" chance, as they always seemed to return artifact-level materials when I did them. The cost of the missions is easily worth it, at least for scavenging, as the artifact-level scavenged metals it returns are easily 500+ credits each.

So is it confirmed slicing gives these? I'm trying to compile a list of what different gathering/mission skills give other than the basic resources used to create items.

So far I have:

Crafting Schematics- Underworld Trading (Confirmed)

Companion Gifts- Underworld Trading (Confirmed)

It would be nice if I could get a conformation on:

New Missions- Slicing (Unconfirmed)

I really figured it would be under investigation.

Edited by AndiusTheGreat

I got "Missions Discovery: Archaeology" from Slicing and used it. Got a fourth option in my Crew Skills called "Slicing" however there are no missions in that option. Is that a bug, or do I get a mission in there eventually?

That seems to be a bug you get when you swap between characters and use crew skills. I've had it myself. Don't know if that's what you did , but it's appeared when I did that.

these unique missions are found via slicing and provide a 1 time mission that always crits and always provides much better returns than normal missions of the same level.

That is all conjecture based on what I've seen, I"ve run about 8 of these unique missions and the above is what I've found 8/8 times.

Anyone know if you can do the same mission more than once if you buy/find two separate 'mission discoveries'? In other words if i did an underworld trading (150) mission, then found the same underworld trading (150) mission, could i do it again?

yes, I've done it (albet with scavenging) the item will give you the same 1 time mission in your mission lists, although I got different rewards between the 2, but both were still VERY good rewards.