2018 Expertise Main PVP Stat Is Essential

Icykill_

I hate to look like a newbie but I never PVP'd until just a few days ago when my son asked me to do it with him. Needless to say without PVP gear we got destroyed. Our problem is that I cannot find any vendors that sell PVP gear except for LVL 60. Where are the lower level vendors?

Thank you,

Kilians

buy the pve gear from oricon, it's 162 gear and all thru basic comms. just did this and had 1954 expertise.

outside that, if you are a crafter, it's basically level 30 stuff, or meaning things like Reflex Armoring 30, which is 162 gear.

Edited by Anyakaschala

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy the pve gear from oricon, it's 162 gear and all thru basic comms. just did this and had 1954 expertise.

outside that, if you are a crafter, it's basically level 30 stuff, or meaning things like Reflex Armoring 30, which is 162 gear.

You only need to swap a weapon mod and enhancement to a 148 and you'll get 2018

heh. bolster was around before the free starter sets. in fact, bolster is why the starter sets were necessary in the first place. bolster at 50 (then the level cap) has never made sense. all you need is expertise to prevent ppl from taking better pve gear into pvp and vice versa. also, capping exp at 2018 was a mistake. that also necessitates bolster because pve stats increase steadily, but the expertise numbers remain constant. free pvp starter gear was implemented badly, but I think it was the most viable of all the "gear gap" fixes this game has tinkered with.

The recruit gear was terrible. It had bad stats and wasn't moddable, so you couldn't augment it without wasting buckets of credits. Bolster is better than recruit gear, at least in its current stage.

The devs badly screwed up the item level rating of PVP gear which only hurts casuals.

With the increase in level cap they should have made ranked gear 184 and unranked gear 178. So not as good as PVE gear but close enough that PVEers rocking up in their 186 /192 gear weren't royally screwed by bolster.

No casual is going to research bolster and expertise and after a couple of games of being crushed will probably never queue again. Telling them that they need to equip old crap gear to do better will just get you laughed at.

Thank you for so much for droppin so much knowledge in this thread.

May I ask you to write a primer for what to do once you hit 60? I like your writing style and it's really easy for me to follow and read. The current "how to be a contender" faq is a little difficult for me to grasp. Thanks!

Thank you for so much for droppin so much knowledge in this thread.

May I ask you to write a primer for what to do once you hit 60? I like your writing style and it's really easy for me to follow and read. The current "how to be a contender" faq is a little difficult for me to grasp. Thanks!

Gearing for 60 is the same... When you go from 55-60, keep wearing the same gear until you get a pvp item to replace it... Doing that will not affect your bolstered expertise

Pre 60 you should be stock piling comms and converting them to ranked as well, you can do this from LVL 40 if you have valor 40... When you get to 60 you can get your first ranked piece this way

*** remember when choosing gear to get gear that gives the set bonus for your spec... But also remember that Bio don't min max these properly to always give the best stats for pvp

- First PVP items to buy are your main and off hand weapons and equip them with expertise crystals

- Second items can either be 2 pieces of armor to start getting your set bonus or your relics (the cheapest way to start getting your set bonus is to buy a belt and wrist)

- Third continue getting your armor till you have 6 pieces at least, so you have your 6 piece set (the seventh piece does not have to be part of the set bonus, so if you want different stats other than what the set bonus piece would give you, feel free to get a different one from that pvp class vendor (ie, I wear Force Master 6 piece set bonus and one Force stalker)

- Fourth get your implants and ear... You don't have to get the same set type as you 6 piece set bonus either... If another type from the pvp vendor gives you your desired stats, then get those

- Fifth, augment all of your items (don't augment relics, implants or ear till you get ranked ones or you will be wasting credits) *** also I use custom armor shells and not the pvp ones... This allows you to put Augment kit 10 slots on your gear pre 60 and you don't waste credits augmenting gear you have to trade for ranked gear later on

*** For a more advanced setup if you want to fully min/max

- Sixth, if you weren't able to min/max your gear 100% to your liking, you can buy pvp mods/enhancements to replace the offending item

**** do not do this until you have ranked gear other wise you waste comms... Seeing as you need to remove armor/mods/enhancements etc before trading the gear for ranked, you will usually have a non ranked mod/enhancement that you can replace the offending piece in the ranked gear, I do this until I can buy the ranked mod or enhancement... The difference in stats is so small you probably won't even notice... The important part to remember is to min/max the stats you want... You can buy ranked ones straight away and put them on your non ranked too... It just means it takes longer to get your set Bonus

I hope that explanation wasn't too confusing, if you have questions please ask

Gearing for 60 is the same... When you go from 55-60, keep wearing the same gear until you get a pvp item to replace it... Doing that will not affect your bolstered expertise

Pre 60 you should be stock piling comms and converting them to ranked as well, you can do this from LVL 40 if you have valor 40... When you get to 60 you can get your first ranked piece this way

*** remember when choosing gear to get gear that gives the set bonus for your spec... But also remember that Bio don't min max these properly to always give the best stats for pvp

- First PVP items to buy are your main and off hand weapons and equip them with expertise crystals

- Second items can either be 2 pieces of armor to start getting your set bonus or your relics (the cheapest way to start getting your set bonus is to buy a belt and wrist)

- Third continue getting your armor till you have 6 pieces at least, so you have your 6 piece set (the seventh piece does not have to be part of the set bonus, so if you want different stats other than what the set bonus piece would give you, feel free to get a different one from that pvp class vendor (ie, I wear Force Master 6 piece set bonus and one Force stalker)

- Fourth get your implants and ear... You don't have to get the same set type as you 6 piece set bonus either... If another type from the pvp vendor gives you your desired stats, then get those

- Fifth, augment all of your items (don't augment relics, implants or ear till you get ranked ones or you will be wasting credits) *** also I use custom armor shells and not the pvp ones... This allows you to put Augment kit 10 slots on your gear pre 60 and you don't waste credits augmenting gear you have to trade for ranked gear later on

*** For a more advanced setup if you want to fully min/max

- Sixth, if you weren't able to min/max your gear 100% to your liking, you can buy pvp mods/enhancements to replace the offending item

**** do not do this until you have ranked gear other wise you waste comms... Seeing as you need to remove armor/mods/enhancements etc before trading the gear for ranked, you will usually have a non ranked mod/enhancement that you can replace the offending piece in the ranked gear, I do this until I can buy the ranked mod or enhancement... The difference in stats is so small you probably won't even notice... The important part to remember is to min/max the stats you want... You can buy ranked ones straight away and put them on your non ranked too... It just means it takes longer to get your set Bonus

I hope that explanation wasn't too confusing, if you have questions please ask

I hope a simple 'Thank-you' is enough.

THANK-YOU ! ! !

Wastey :)

you talking nonsens things(****) coz all know 7 or 14 lvl green items from gtn and u alredy Owepawered add to this 31-33 impants and wooot here 43k hp even on **** sorc but it is not all if you think sorc 46k hp noob u verry lost.. my sorc full 2018 with 7 lvl augmented gree gear blue augs main stat... try it

you talking nonsens things(****) coz all know 7 or 14 lvl green items from gtn and u alredy Owepawered add to this 31-33 impants and wooot here 43k hp even on **** sorc but it is not all if you think sorc 46k hp noob u verry lost.. my sorc full 2018 with 7 lvl augmented gree gear blue augs main stat... try it

Holy gibberish, Batman :rolleyes:

I'm level 59. I other everything 162 or less. I have 2 things 156 and 4 things 146. The bolsterizer has me at 1890 and I can't get it to go a any higher. I have 186 augments on everything but I think even before I put the augments on it was still 1890. Is there any way I can get to 2018?

I'm level 59. I other everything 162 or less. I have 2 things 156 and 4 things 146. The bolsterizer has me at 1890 and I can't get it to go a any higher. I have 186 augments on everything but I think even before I put the augments on it was still 1890. Is there any way I can get to 2018?

You're using PvP crystal, aren't you? You shouldn't.

It seems no matter what or how low the gear is in all your other slots the main and off hand have to be less than 162 in the mod and enhancement. Not the barrel/hilt or armoring just mod and enhanment. I'm 2018 now. All 162 except implants are 156, chest head feet legs are 146, and main and off hand are 156 mods and enh

I'm looking at pvping more on my sorcerer with absolutely no ranking or pvp gear at all, is this the best solution for me or do I just go into solo warzones and screw my team with no expertise? Critting for 3-4k is just dumb and I'm a waste of space.
This is late, since I was far far away.

Yes, the most cost efficient solution is to go 140 Makeb mods and 146 relics. If you have people still running storymode old operations though, tag along and get yourself 154 Dread Guard gear - that's the BEST non-PvP gear you can get for warzones.

It seems no matter what or how low the gear is in all your other slots the main and off hand have to be less than 162 in the mod and enhancement. Not the barrel/hilt or armoring just mod and enhanment. I'm 2018 now. All 162 except implants are 156, chest head feet legs are 146, and main and off hand are 156 mods and enh
Armor rating and barrel damage are all bolstered to max PvE AFAIK, or near that point. It'd be a waste to use your 162 modifications on barrels/armorings if you're allowed "only one" before expertise starts dropping. Edited by Metthew

Also just wanted to point out to everyone,

Bolster is irrelevant once you have on actual pvp gear or at least all the mods for it. If you are wearing say all pvp pieces in every slot the only major difference is if all the gear is augmented. Augments make the gear better by simply having it and if you are completely geared out correctly, regardless of what it appears, your ACTUAL useable stats bypass what Bolster might show you so long as it is at the highest possible performance level.

your skills may say one thing, but they ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY deal the damage they are supposed to in pvp zones.

This means that to see what kind of actual stats you will have you can see what the effective stats are outside of bolster zones while wearing true pvp gear. the only difference is between non-ranked and ranked gear. if you are wearing full non-ranked gear you will get a slight bonus to just under ranked stats. Once you are in full current ranked gear including best possible augments you will have THOSE stats applied regardless of what Bolster shows you.

TLDR; Get PVP gear, wear it (including weapons and ear pieces and what not). Wearing Full PVP gear gives the BEST POSSIBLE results despite what Bolster pretends to give you while wearing it.

Also just wanted to point out to everyone,

Bolster is irrelevant once you have on actual pvp gear or at least all the mods for it. If you are wearing say all pvp pieces in every slot the only major difference is if all the gear is augmented. Augments make the gear better by simply having it and if you are completely geared out correctly, regardless of what it appears, your ACTUAL useable stats bypass what Bolster might show you so long as it is at the highest possible performance level.

your skills may say one thing, but they ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY deal the damage they are supposed to in pvp zones.

This means that to see what kind of actual stats you will have you can see what the effective stats are outside of bolster zones while wearing true pvp gear. the only difference is between non-ranked and ranked gear. if you are wearing full non-ranked gear you will get a slight bonus to just under ranked stats. Once you are in full current ranked gear including best possible augments you will have THOSE stats applied regardless of what Bolster shows you.

TLDR; Get PVP gear, wear it (including weapons and ear pieces and what not). Wearing Full PVP gear gives the BEST POSSIBLE results despite what Bolster pretends to give you while wearing it.

This is true... If you have all pvp gear you do not have to worry about Bolster, period... Only your min/max of main and secondary stats

PVP gear also gives you your set bonuses and relics give you pvp bonuses

I cannot thank you enough for this post.

I was never much of a PvP person, but a couple weeks back I decided to try and gear up (first) so I could attempt to run ranked and maybe get the upcoming reward sets.

I have been playing about 30 matches a day across 4 toons since then. I thought I was doing a great job, I was getting medals, I was protecting, healing, capping, and so on as best I could, and buying pieces of Exhumed when I had enough coms. However, every once and awhile I was see a very rude comment in chat, with something similar to: don't use PVE gear, +expletive. My thinking was, I am working on it!

No one would take the time to explain, and asking a question or putting a opinion forth just got me flamed more, so I have just been trying very hard to get better and get geared.

I had spent most of my basics on 186 gear, so since reading this post tonight I ran some lvl 50 HMs, bought a couple items, and I am now at 2018 on one toon. I will now do the same with the others.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. If it was in the 'contender' post, I missed it.

Delekahn

tldr: THANKS!

In programming we have what we call "the principle of least astonishment." Meaning, at all times when it's possible to do so without nuking performance, you do the most obvious duh thing with your code so the next guy who uses a piece of it isn't walking through a minefield of bat!@#$ where you can only figure out how anything actually works through trial, error, and pain. I think EA-Bioware's game designers could stand to familiarize themselves with the concept.

In any case, much thanks for the guide. It really should be stickied but it probably won't be.

In case anyone missed this

This backs up what IcyKill has spoke about in this thread showcasing what different gear does to the bolstering of your gear and how to do it correctly.

Also I have a video scheduled for this coming Friday 27th Feb which showcases the difference between fighting with 1000 expertise as if you were in full pve gear unbolstered in a warzone and being in full PvP gear with the cap 2018 expertise so look out for that one or subscribe to be notified of it.

Thanks

In programming we have what we call "the principle of least astonishment." Meaning, at all times when it's possible to do so without nuking performance, you do the most obvious duh thing with your code so the next guy who uses a piece of it isn't walking through a minefield of bat!@#$ where you can only figure out how anything actually works through trial, error, and pain. I think EA-Bioware's game designers could stand to familiarize themselves with the concept.

In any case, much thanks for the guide. It really should be stickied but it probably won't be.

It would be good if it was stickied, I really wanted to give back to the pvp community some of the knowledge I have acquired through extensive research and experience... the contender thread was stickied after lots of likes and views... Unfortunately it is out of date now

If people find this guide useful, please give it a five star rating... The more that do, the more likely it is to be stickied

I would also like to thank everyone for the kind comments

In case anyone missed this

This backs up what IcyKill has spoke about in this thread showcasing what different gear does to the bolstering of your gear and how to do it correctly.

Also I have a video scheduled for this coming Friday 27th Feb which showcases the difference between fighting with 1000 expertise as if you were in full pve gear unbolstered in a warzone and being in full PvP gear with the cap 2018 expertise so look out for that one or subscribe to be notified of it.

Thanks

That will be awesome and will really demonstrate the difference in having the right expertise... Can you please post the link here once you upload

That will be awesome and will really demonstrate the difference in having the right expertise... Can you please post the link here once you upload

Yes of course I will mate. And I apologise for plugging my channel on your thread dude, I find it's a good community to get noticed from and I feel ppl appreciate the time and effort it takes to make PvP guides to help us all.