Bioware - Can you put in a loot priority button for companions?

I'm not entirely clear on what the issue is. Our companions are our "pets", but they do allow us to tackle solo content which we wouldn't normally be able to. Needing on something for our "pet" actually improves our character, as an extension. The only thing I think should be changed, is to make all need rolls BOP, or only vendor for 1 credit as someone else suggested, so that anyone who NEEDS has little other incentive to NEED. Greed allows the sale, trade or auction of the item.

Having played WOW for a number of years Ive come to the conclusion that the only way you are not going to have loot drama is to ensure that only those that can use the loot can roll need on the loot, and even that doesn't remove all drama.

I say just play the game, and if someone wins something that you could have used, meh, an upgrade is right around the corner. Playing the game does not ENTITLE you to loot, and unless you agree on the loot rules in advance, like we used to do in WOW, that's no reason to blacklist someone. This blacklist just seems rather silly and childish to me, and I'm sorry if that offends.

Endgame would be a different story, but even there, you should be have loot rules explained well in advance. If someone jawas there they risk not being invited back to another chance at the endgame, which is a risk they will have to take.

Edited by Hedgremlin
typo

I'm not entirely clear on what the issue is. Our companions are our "pets", but they do allow us to tackle solo content which we wouldn't normally be able to. Needing on something for our "pet" actually improves our character, as an extension. The only thing I think should be changed, is to make all need rolls BOP, or only vendor for 1 credit as someone else suggested, so that anyone who NEEDS has little other incentive to NEED. Greed allows the sale, trade or auction of the item.

Having played WOW for a number of years Ive come to the conclusion that the only way you are not going to have loot drama is to ensure that only those that can use the loot can roll need on the loot, and even that doesn't remove all drama.

I say just play the game, and if someone wins something that you could have used, meh, an upgrade is right around the corner. Playing the game does not ENTITLE you to loot, and unless you agree on the loot rules in advance, like we used to do in WOW, that's no reason to blacklist someone. This blacklist just seems rather silly and childish to me, and I'm sorry if that offends.

Endgame would be a different story, but even there, you should be have loot rules explained well in advance. If someone jawas there they risk not being invited back to another chance at the endgame, which is a risk they will have to take.

so, by making it BOP, people who think their companion are an extension of themselves will need.. if ALL the other group members think otherwise, the item can't be traded anymore and thus cannot go to someone who actually needs it...

there is only 1 solution to this:

discuss it with each group you join, and when someone ninja's you report them in the chat.

Even in WoW you could get banned for ninja rolling, but apparantly nobody knew this XD

If they aren't BoP it doesn't matter what they vendor for.

People will need them to sell them on the GTN and make their money that way.

In any event, some people didn't get enough attention as a child and will need just to spite other players, so making them BoP and vendor for 1 credit won't help if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one o fthose people.

Additionally, items can be disassembled for parts. Maybe I only get one piece of desh out of something... The desh is still worth more than 1 credit.

Finally, making everything BoP will just increase the cries from people that make legitimate mistakes.

Most of the blues in flashpoints are BoP now, and a lot of people have posted their disagreement with that. Sure, some are only wanting a system that would allow them to farm flashpoints and sell the gear to make $$$, but sometimes people will hit a wrong button, or think that something was not what it really was.

I think that talking as a group, setting up the ground rules that work for you in advance, and then following through is the way to go.

Even if they decide on a system that you do not like, you can walk before you waste time getting started.

But if you are not willing to back-up your feelings with action, it will not matter. If you are the leader and someone breaks the rules, then maybe give them one warning, but you have to be prepared to kick them.

If you are not the leader and the smuggler or consular are needing on heavy armor that you want for an upgrade to your trooper and it was supposed to be character first, then you have to be ready to quit and make the rest of the group deal with your absence.

Yes, it will inconvenience you, and it may not prevent the rest from completing what they had started, but if you just sit there and take it, then that is entirely on you, and the next time it happens, and the next time after that, you can know that as long as you are willing to take it, there will be some people happy to give it to you.

I think a Companion Need button is a great solution. It makes life easy for everyone and you no longer need to set rules before a run. You will always have the ninjas but with a new Need option like this you will have less accidents.

I think a Companion Need button is a great solution. It makes life easy for everyone and you no longer need to set rules before a run. You will always have the ninjas but with a new Need option like this you will have less accidents.

Greed is already the option for companions. Once we are at 50 our companions cover all possible loot versions... So the Need for Companion is simply the new Greed and Greed is pointless. Thus Need for Companion is pointless for the start. It changes nothing worth speaking of.

Greed is already the option for companions. Once we are at 50 our companions cover all possible loot versions... So the Need for Companion is simply the new Greed and Greed is pointless. Thus Need for Companion is pointless for the start. It changes nothing worth speaking of.

You say that as if its a universal truth - in some people's mind NEED is the option for companions. Look at this thread - one guy already made the case that improving his companion is improving his character - and frankly that's a valid point. I am of the school that your char comes first and companions have less priority, but again this is a debatable point.

Operations will be handled by guilds and indeed I am in an Ops guild, but that does not mean people like me don't want this option, even when I am with all guildies. Sure we can sort it our amongst each other, but adding this feature would just make it so much faster and efficient. Not to mention that even the most hardcore Ops player will still pug at times.

After reading this yesterday, and gave it some thought, I came with a solution.

yes, make the button, but only clickable for the one using his/her companion.

and via loot settings (leader only) you can change if others can roll for their companion as well.

and no, the greed won't be useless. Because if you were to do a lot of flashpoints (I am a great fan of dungeons myself) you would meet people who already got the loot for their companions.

and no again, the greed button won't be useless since it's still used in the early stages, where not everyone has all his/her companions

so if no-one is using their companion, it's the leader who decides if people may roll or not for their companion via the settings.

Edited by Ordryth

Below Need, above Greed. Companion Need.

I am all for this, but I would add forced criteria to being able to click need in the first place as in if you cant equip the item on your character you can't even press the need button.

The fact is unless its forced while in a pug you never can tell, why even give the ninja the option to need if they don't like your chosen loot options they can get another group.

So I would ask for your system need/companion need/greed but forced specifically for when you don't know your group members.

1. Loot priority goes to the person filling the role of the loot that dropped.

2. You do not need on anything that is not itemized or equipable by your character. Companions do not count.

3. Everyone will eventually have a companion that item will be an upgrade for.

4. Players should receive 1 warning, after which further infractions they are kicked.

I plan on playing a tank. Tanks and healers are gong to have a lot of influence on groups. They should use it to combat ninjas.