J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings about this. I think Abrams gets good performances out of actors (something prequels sorely lacked), but all of his stuff looks too clean and fake. Star Wars should look gritty and lived in, that was its original charm and was something I hoped would return to the new films.

Also if there is shacky cam I won't be able to see the film as it makes me massively ill, it is just stupid.

This guy is the worst choice to direct the next Star Wars film....he made Star Trek the movie...wow dang Trek fans are everywhere nowadays. Star Wars must be directed by someone who respects the entire saga of Star Wars. And let that Abrams stick with Star Trek because he would destroy the new Star Wars movie given the chance. Trek directors like him needs to stay away from the WARS ( Any Star Wars Based Franchise )!!! Edited by Lore-Master

Someone posted on IGN that the J.J. in Abrams name may as well stand for Jar Jar if he screws this up.

LOL :D

Opportunity of a life time.

I saw Conan awhile back, and if I'm not mistaken, could have sworn he was asked about directing one of these, and at the time, he wasn't interested. It doesn't get any bigger than this for a director. If successful, this will catapult this guy into the upper echelon of directors, a door in which he's already knocking on.

Love him or hate him, it is what it is, he will be directing the next Star Wars, lets hope he's successful.

Edited by Pirana

Well people put too much weight on a director like he is the one that defines most of the film. In fact writers are far more important here. Writers basically define the storyline, scenes, characters and drama. While the director is crucial for the acting performances I think Star Wars was never really about great acting.

I don't think he don't have to screw it up to get much hate. Star Wars fans tend to be horrible people, who hate just about everything.

My guess is everyone who hated episodes 1-3 will also hate 7-9. And apparently it's mandatory to hate the prequels if you're a "true" fan... I'm glad I am not. I like all 6 movies.

Someone posted on IGN that the J.J. in Abrams name may as well stand for Jar Jar if he screws this up.

LOL :D

Ha ha! So, so true. I personally, look forward to the sequels, especially now.

My guess is everyone who hated episodes 1-3 will also hate 7-9. And apparently it's mandatory to hate the prequels if you're a "true" fan... I'm glad I am not. I like all 6 movies.

I second and third this motion, those snobbish 'fans' can get lost. :p

What a ridiculous conclusion - The prequels were hated every bit as much by the mainstream audience as they were by the hardcore fans. The only difference being the mainstream flock such as yourself moved on...

This guy is the worst choice to direct the next Star Wars film....he made Star Trek the movie...wow dang Trek fans are everywhere nowadays. Star Wars must be directed by someone who respects the entire saga of Star Wars. And let that Abrams stick with Star Trek because he would destroy the new Star Wars movie given the chance. Trek directors like him needs to stay away from the WARS ( Any Star Wars Based Franchise )!!!

I think this is unfair and carries the undertone of Star Wars vs Trekkies this isn't a competition.

Of course there are Trek fans everywhere the franchise is almost 50 years old, more than a decade older than Star Wars and most fans and critics agree that Abrams did a fantastic job on Star Trek.

I was particularly impressed how he was able to capture the essence and chemistly of the original cast especially Kurt Urban's portrayal of McCoy was spot on.

To say that Abrams is bad for Star Wars, because he doesn't respect the saga and will purposely destroy it if given the chance is irrational.

On what grounds do you base this on?

With that said I'm not saying Abrams can do no wrong or even that he's the absolute best choice for the job, but he's by far not the worst choice either.

Imagine waking up to read the headline "Michael Bay To Direct The Next Star Wars Movie"! :eek:

Imagine the $*storm that would have created, but ultimately there is no director dead or alive who would satisfy everyone.

first off, abrams is not a film maker, he makes movies not films. there is a dif between the two. 50 years from now, star wars will still be viewed as an important film and will be apreaciated by film makers and film historians. JJ's star trek movies will be forgotten and not even talked about. the same will be true for his star wars movie.

second, abrams has already shown that he has ZERO respect for any franchise. he rebooted/reset star trek because it was the easiest thing for him to do. if he cared about the franchise or was actually a great filmmaker, he would have developed new characters as the base future movies on. but he is a hack and lazy, so he just ripped off the original trek characters and wrecked them as well as demolishing all trek cannon and lore.

he will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams total control of the movie, especially the story.

first off, abrams is not a film maker, he makes movies not films. there is a dif between the two. 50 years from now, star wars will still be viewed as an important film and will be apreaciated by film makers and film historians. JJ's star trek movies will be forgotten and not even talked about. the same will be true for his star wars movie.

This is opinion and guess-timation and you are entitled to it, but you don't know who's going to think what in 50 years.

second, abrams has already shown that he has ZERO respect for any franchise. he rebooted/reset star trek because it was the easiest thing for him to do. if he cared about the franchise or was actually a great filmmaker, he would have developed new characters as the base future movies on. but he is a hack and lazy, so he just ripped off the original trek characters and wrecked them as well as demolishing all trek cannon and lore.

You think Abrams made the decision that the last Trek movie would a reboot?

Really?

total control of the movie, especially the storyhe will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams

It's was confirmed not long after the news broke that George Lucas was selling the franchise to Disney that Michael Arndt would be writing the screenplay also Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg will be consulting.

Edited by Hardwear

he will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams total control of the movie, especially the story.

What bantha poodoo is this? Movie and film are the same thing, look it up in a dictionary. :p

And again, your not making any points. I could replace 'Star Trek' with any other thing and you would be saying the same thing. Just verbally attacking a different franchise.

How did he 'wreck and demolish' Star Trek lore? Last time I check he saved that franchise from a dull, dry death. Its fanbase is now bigger than ever, the film was critically acclaimed by just about everyone and was nominated for four Oscars among other awards. Its painstakingly obvious that the only people who didn't like it where the Star Trek snob minority. The funny thing is your shouting at the wrong person. Abrams didn't write the story, he didn't decided to do the reboot, he didn't even pick the actors, he just directed the film. So you can only complain about its cinematography, not the story, not the acting - making all your points null and void.

Yeah, I'm sure the only Star Trek film to ever win an Oscar will be forgotten real quick. I'm afraid it will be the other way round, this is what future generations will remember, and for good reason.

I thought the JJ Abrams' Star Trek film was terrible. Star Trek is now a dopy action movie franchise. It's impossible to say how how he's going to affect Star Trek 7, but I don't have high hopes at all. And that's coming from someone who didn't mind the prequels.

But saying that he shouldn't direct Star Trek 7 because he did a Star Trek movie is silly. Mostly because it bore little resemble to "Star Trek" before. If anything it was more like a Star Wars film than a Star Trek film, only with a worse story and more plot holes.

Edited by OldVengeance

I thought the JJ Abrams' Star Trek film was terrible. Star Trek is now a dopy action movie franchise. It's impossible to say how how he's going to affect Star Trek 7, but I don't have high hopes at all. And that's coming from someone who didn't mind the prequels.

But saying that he shouldn't direct Star Trek 7 because he did a Star Trek movie is silly. Mostly because it bore little resemble to "Star Trek" before. If anything it was more like a Star Wars film than a Star Trek film, only with a worse story and more plot holes.

Think about what you didn't like about the film though. Abrams is not responsible for poor story. Did you like the cinematography? If yes, then great. If no then you have something to complain about.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a massive role too. And Abrams is neither of those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

(Oh and I think you mean Star Wars 7, not Star 'Trek'. Unless your making a subtle dig there. :p)

Think about what you didn't like about the film though. Abrams is not responsible for poor story. Did you like the cinematography? If yes, then great. If no then you have something to complain about.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a omassive role too. And Abrams is neither f those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

(Oh and I think you mean Star Wars 7, not Star 'Trek'. Unless your making a subtle dig there. :p)

I agree and I think the reason may be that some people are associating this "total control" director idea with George Lucas.

George Lucas is one of a kind he had total contol over the Star Wars films before he sold it to Disney this is partly why Hollywood hated him.

No production company execs to tell him what to do or even have a say in what he did good or bad.

He wrote the stories, produced, directed and had the final say on everthing even on the films he didn't direct, because he owned the rights to the films.

This will not be the case with Abrams or any other director.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a massive role too. And Abrams is neither of those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

what are you talking about? abrams production complany was handed complete control over the film and abrams was a producer long before he accepted the job as director. he had a heavy hand in what the story turned out to be. because of the viacom split from CBS corp and the deal that was eventually made, the movie side of the star trek franchise was handed over to people who never had anything to do with star trek and had no concerns or care for the franchise as a whole.

the original plan for the movie( before abrams changed it ) was for it to be the prequel to the original series that Roddenberry had wanted to do but never got done. it was going to be all new characters in the timeline after "enterprise" series but before the original series.

it was abrams that changed it from prequel to reboot/reset. and it was abrams who changed it from new characters to ripping off Roddenberry's original characters. why? because he didnt want to be restriced by anything( canon/lore anything from the series ) and it would be to hard from him and his hacks production( including the writers ) company to actually create new characters. also, because he wanted to strip away everything that makes star trek, star trek. just listen to or read interviews from JJ about the movie. he wanted to make a bland fluff action movies that would sell alot of ticked because it was star trek.

Edited by MiaRB

what are you talking about? abrams production complany was handed complete control over the film and abrams was a producer long before he accepted the job as director. he had a heavy hand in what the story turned out to be. because of the viacom split from CBS corp and the deal that was eventually made, the movie side of the star trek franchise was handed over to people who never had anything to do with star trek and had no concerns or care for the franchise as a whole.

the original plan for the movie( before abrams changed it ) was for it to be the prequel to the original series that Roddenberry had wanted to do but never got done. it was going to be all new characters in the timeline after "enterprise" series but before the original series.

it was abrams that changed it from prequel to reboot/reset. and it was abrams who changed it from new characters to ripping off Roddenberry's original characters. why? because he didnt want to be restriced by anything( canon/lore anything from the series ) and it would be to hard from him and his hacks production( including the writers ) company to actually create new characters. also, because he wanted to strip away everything that makes star trek, star trek. just listen to or read interviews from JJ about the movie. he wanted to make a bland fluff action movies that would sell alot of ticked because it was star trek.

You forget, Abrams has no such control over the new Star Wars film. So you can only judge him by his cinematography.