Top 8 Class Storylines?

Danniann

1) Imperial Agent - Its just so drama and has the best story with lost of plot twists. Companions are great too, the closest to a meh companion is Lorkin and he is still cool. Plus Kaylio and Scorpio play really important roles in KOTFE so being an agent again adds to the drama

2) Bounty Hunter - has the best companions and they just make traveling the galaxy and killing your way through the story great

3) Jedi Knight - its the most " Kotor 3" story but the character itself can seem like a nerd at times. Companions range from being amazing to being totally dull for the JK

4) Sith Warrior - Very much the mirror of the Jedi knight just not quite as important. Also the companions are amazing, just slightly less cool than Bounty Hunter Companions

5) Smuggler - It pains me how bad the story actually is for the smuggler as my Scoundrel is my main. Though even with the terrible story it manages to make up for it by having some of the funniest dialogue

6) Trooper - probably the least star warsy story but its also really kick ***. Its all about revenge and all the companions feel like a cohesive unit ( a feat i feel only Smuggler and Bounty Hunter accomplish as well)

7) Inquisitor- its not bad by any stretch, its just not quite as engaging as the others. Companions are a bit mixed, some are really cool, some just aren't quite right and one is totally lame ( looking at you Talos)

I have yet to play JC yet, so i cant rank it, will be starting it soon so any advice for that class feel free to let me know!

Play Male, it's as close as it gets to a "canon" and it brings swtor and JK series together. Just hop over to wookieepedia for details.

Also expect a mixture of Star Trek and Star Wars. Particularly expect some kind of a mix between Obi-Wan and Jean-Luc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I say terrible, I just mean boring. I also listened to the male Hunter on YT and thought his voice seemed out of place with BT1.

That's not nearly the same. But I understand. People like Consular could put you to sleep. Imo, I like that rough BH voice a great deal. Or cynical SI voice. The one Male voice that annoys me greatly would be Agent. It's the same as the whole IA story: Very, very good technically, but very annoying.

Aha: A question:

Do the voices of protagonists of stories you dislike correspond with that dislike of stories? Example: Dislike BH, Dislike BH story. Or is it independent.

That's not nearly the same. But I understand. People like Consular could put you to sleep. Imo, I like that rough BH voice a great deal. Or cynical SI voice. The one Male voice that annoys me greatly would be Agent. It's the same as the whole IA story: Very, very good technically, but very annoying.

Aha: A question:

Do the voices of protagonists of stories you dislike correspond with that dislike of stories? Example: Dislike BH, Dislike BH story. Or is it independent.

That's independent. I had no problem with the female VA for Consular thought the male sounded terrible in the YT vids and it's my second favorite class story.

My fave voices are the female VAs for Warrior and Inquisitor. If my Consular could sound like my Inquisitor, I'd be so happy! :)

That's independent. I had no problem with the female VA for Consular thought the male sounded terrible in the YT vids and it's my second favorite class story.

My fave voices are the female VAs for Warrior and Inquisitor. If my Consular could sound like my Inquisitor, I'd be so happy! :)

Yeah, even if I am(and I am) satisfied with the Scoundrel voice, I'd prefer BHs voice by far. But perhaps I just (over)associate the voice with the look(I recreated my Merc as a Slinger). A big possibility of that.

Why everybody loves SI story so much? It's pretty much makes you Sorcerer story-wise even if you play Assassin (why would Assassin need all this ritual and force ghost nonsense?) and this professional deus ex machina Kallig makes me cringe (seriously, the only reason why SI was picked by Zash is his presence in Dark Temple and he's interference only reason why SI's body wasn't taken by Zash or torn to pieces by force ghost in tomb where Thanaton sends SI to die).

I don't remember what I ordered them in the past. Off-hand, I'd say:

1) Sith Warrior.

2) Sith Warrior.

3) Sith Warrior.

4) Smuggler.

5) Smuggler.

6) Sith Warrior.

7) Jedi Knight.

8) Bounty Hunter.

9) Imperial Agent.

10) Sith Warrior.

11) Smuggler.

12) Troo- just kidding, Sith Warrior again. Got you.

13) Jedi Consular.

14) Trooper.

15) Sith Inquisit- sykeSithWarriorSmuggler.

16) Mass Effect 3 ending.

17) Skyrim intro.

18) Sith Inquisitor.

Why everybody loves SI story so much? It's pretty much makes you Sorcerer story-wise even if you play Assassin (why would Assassin need all this ritual and force ghost nonsense?) and this professional deus ex machina Kallig makes me cringe (seriously, the only reason why SI was picked by Zash is his presence in Dark Temple and he's interference only reason why SI's body wasn't taken by Zash or torn to pieces by force ghost in tomb where Thanaton sends SI to die).

Because it's a power fantasy distilled to its most pure degree. The only better thing would be an RPG where you play as Palpatine himself. This is how I'd correlate them:

Jedi Knight = A Hero's story // Luke etc

Jedi Consular = Quite philosophical // Jean-Luc Picard with a lightsabre.

Trooper = More grounded and action version of JK // Rambo, Mass Effect etc

Smuggler = Comedy / Crime story // Han Solo, Lando Calrissian(Han is Light leaning, Lando Dark leaning)

Sith Warrior = A slave with delusions of grandeur...errr I mean, Vader, yes. A lot of politics and power plays.

Sith Inquisitor = A power fantasy / per aspera ad astra / Palpatine

Bounty Hunter = Tech Western(For a few Dollars more / Jango's origin story etc inspired) - too bad that for a TECH WESTERN, it DOES NOT HAVE a dedicated GUN DISCIPLINE(fml really Bioware? O.o)

Imperial Agent = A typical spy story-it even has its Ernst Stavro! // James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer etc

Because it's a power fantasy distilled to its most pure degree.

When you said this, I thought you were talking about Sith Warrior lol.

I guess perceptions vary. SI is the one that feels like a slave to me (cause your character starts as one). I guess if you count shocking people with lightning, it's power fantasy, but a lot of what you do (as has been pointed out to me in the past) is someone else's idea. SW, in my view, has a lot more moments of independence, where it feels like you're on your own, making your own decisions.

I guess perceptions vary. SI is the one that feels like a slave to me (cause your character starts as one). I guess if you count shocking people with lightning, it's power fantasy, but a lot of what you do (as has been pointed out to me in the past) is someone else's idea. SW, in my view, has a lot more moments of independence, where it feels like you're on your own, making your own decisions.

Not at all. SW is like the ultimate slave. Even when it's time for his "chains to be broken"(start act 3), someone else comes and orders / lords SW arounds(Hands in this case). And his reply to basically everything: "YES, MY LORD".

Meanwhile, SI uases others to the highest degree. He uses the ideas, the forms and the very essences of others to twist them as he sees it fit. He did become a slave...an impetus that gave a huge boost to his power. There is a very subtle(but YUGE) difference when SW and SI say "Yes, my Lord". SW says it out of obedience, almost Samurai-like bushido way of looking at things(but, cross him and die). SI meanwhile lets you pass so he could better manipulate and backstab you.

Off the point, but I never(ok he was cool when I was a child /meh) understood the appeal of that ultimate slave Vader. I mean, he was even a slave to his suit of armour ffs! "It's good to be a slave" . Oh and while we're at it, "it helps to have a map". Equal nonsense, really.

Not at all. SW is like the ultimate slave. Even when it's time for his "chains to be broken"(start act 3), someone else comes and orders / lords SW arounds(Hands in this case). And his reply to basically everything: "YES, MY LORD".

Meanwhile, SI uases others to the highest degree. He uses the ideas, the forms and the very essences of others to twist them as he sees it fit. He did become a slave...an impetus that gave a huge boost to his power. There is a very subtle(but YUGE) difference when SW and SI say "Yes, my Lord". SW says it out of obedience, almost Samurai-like bushido way of looking at things(but, cross him and die). SI meanwhile lets you pass so he could better manipulate and backstab you.

Off the point, but I never(ok he was cool when I was a child /meh) understood the appeal of that ultimate slave Vader. I mean, he was even a slave to his suit of armour ffs! "It's good to be a slave" . Oh and while we're at it, "it helps to have a map". Equal nonsense, really.

Stop trolling plz.

A lot of what you do on all the classes is someone else's idea. It the problem with the game. They could have worded it as your characters ideas, but they may have been afraid that wouldn't be considered a choice. So, they have NPCs give you options and you go with one, even if all the options lead to the same point/choice.

Well, like I said, perceptions vary. The bottom line is...

I've never felt like a slave playing SW.

I've felt like a downtrodden, worthless piece of **** playing SI.

As for why, the SW basically dominates anyone and everyone throughout the entire story. He doesn't even get bested in battle by:

Baras. He just gets temporarily tricked and then uses the guiding hand of the Emperor's Hand to utterly and completely dominate Baras without question.

And if you follow the SW story to its final culmination in expansion content:

You can basically give a big old middle finger to the Emperor, who is like your last remaining boss.

I look at it kind of like this... the SW is like a sharp blade with no handle. You can't enslave the SW any more than you can wrap your hands around an unprotected blade without bleeding. You can, however, try to get it to hack where you want it to hack. But if you try to destroy it or dominate it, it may cut you in the process.

And I mean, that's more or less what Vader was like. The prequel lore (much as I hate those movies) supports this: Vader became the Emperor's enforcer because of unchecked bitterness, anger, abandonment, and self-loathing. He was never a slave to the Emperor and he proved that at the end of RotJ.

A lot of what you do on all the classes is someone else's idea. It the problem with the game. They could have worded it as your characters ideas, but they may have been afraid that wouldn't be considered a choice. So, they have NPCs give you options and you go with one, even if all the options lead to the same point/choice.

True dat. Making a player feel like they have a choice in an on-the-rails RPG truly is an artform all its own.

Well, like I said, perceptions vary. The bottom line is...

I've never felt like a slave playing SW.

I've felt like a downtrodden, worthless piece of **** playing SI.

As for why, the SW basically dominates anyone and everyone throughout the entire story. He doesn't even get bested in battle by:

Baras. He just gets temporarily tricked and then uses the guiding hand of the Emperor's Hand to utterly and completely dominate Baras without question.

And if you follow the SW story to its final culmination in expansion content:

You can basically give a big old middle finger to the Emperor, who is like your last remaining boss.

I look at it kind of like this... the SW is like a sharp blade with no handle. You can't enslave the SW any more than you can wrap your hands around an unprotected blade without bleeding. You can, however, try to get it to hack where you want it to hack. But if you try to destroy it or dominate it, it may cut you in the process.

And I mean, that's more or less what Vader was like. The prequel lore (much as I hate those movies) supports this: Vader became the Emperor's enforcer because of unchecked bitterness, anger, abandonment, and self-loathing. He was never a slave to the Emperor and he proved that at the end of RotJ.

Come on, Vader was a complete slave:

First to Watto on Tatooine.

Then to Padme and memory of his mother.

Then Sidious enslaved him.

Ultimately he ended up as a slave to his own armor of all things!

(he always wanted to follow "wise" leaders -> he even says so in ep.II)

And the ending of RoTJ used a traditional "love shall set you free" trick.

I mean, how explosive and dangerous someone is has no influence on whether someone is a slave or not. A fact is a fact.

Edited by Cuiwe

Come on, Vader was a complete slave:

First to Watto on Tatooine.

Then to Padme and memory of his mother.

Then Sidious enslaved him.

Ultimately he ended up as a slave to his own armor of all things!

(he always wanted to follow "wise" leaders -> he even says so in ep.II)

And the ending of RoTJ used a traditional "love shall set you free" trick.

I mean, how explosive and dangerous someone is has no influence on whether someone is a slave or not. A fact is a fact.

Are you for real? You're just bending the word slave. Watto is the only time he was literally a slave and he got free of that at something like 10 years old.

Saying he was "enslaved" to Padme and the memory of his mother is not just bending the word "slave." It's twisting it around like a slinky. He was obsessively in love with Padme and he had trouble letting go of his mother, as is understandable for someone who had to abandon his mother at a young age and then see her as a captive of Sand People later.

There is nothing in the movie lore indicating that Sidious was actually stronger than him, so it's a stretch to say Sidious enslaved him. Going by Anakin's relationship with Palpatine in the prequels, he respected the Emperor on a certain level and wanted to learn from him. That's why he continued to follow him. He also had no good reason to kill Palpatine once he was allied with him, until his son came into the picture as a potential way to have an apprentice of his own and a reminder of what brought him to such a corrupted point in life.

"A slave to his armor." So if someone is wheelchair-bound, would you say they are a slave to it? Vader functioned just fine with his armor and many dark Jedi / Sith in SW lore have worn some kind of mask, or had robotics, and they weren't considered slaves. Despite his armor, Vader was/is still one of the most powerful force users in SW history.

Or we could do this your way. Here we go, using your reasoning: The Sith Emperor in SWTOR is a complete slave. First he was a slave to his ambition. Then he was a slave to his quest for immortality. He was also a slave to the eternal empire and his family. And a slave to his body. Oh and he's also just a slave in general to his desire to have power and control over other people.

I mean, we could use that kind of reasoning with every person, real or fictional, ever and claim that they are a slave.

As I play through the Inquisitor Class again, I thought of this thread with mention of being lead around. The Sith Inquisitor can be the one who says "This is what we're going to do..." rather than "What do I do?" at least when it comes to the idea of "Let's get me more ghosts!" :)

As much as I like the Sith Warrior, I think that was a flaw in how the character was written.

One of the problems with both playable Sith characters is that the player is provided too many opportunities to be insubordinate without there being consequences. While that works as fan service, it doesn't mesh well with the story.

Sith Apprentices should be living in terror of their masters, and with good reason, at least until they've reached a point where they've sufficiently mastered the dark side to challenge their masters. The master has spent decades or centuries studying and practicing the dark side, and should be able to crush a new Apprentice with ease. In gaming terms they're a level 65 to your level 10. An acolyte fresh from Korriban should not be able to get away with snarking Baras or Zash, at least not without being force-lightning'd into submission.

Other Sith that aren't your immediate superiors? Sure, that would be a different story. An apprentice to Baras or Zash also represents their master, and many other Sith would need to be careful not to offend those masters. Even if that Sith is a Darth, they might not necessarily be able to strike you down without consequences. The player character getting away with snarking a more powerful Sith would be more believable there.

I think both Baras and Zash should have had a scene where challenging their authority too forcefully or too early would result in a cutscene where the player character was zapped and overpowered, or a light saber duel (pre-level sync) where you were outleveled massively and guaranteed to get crushed. Rather than resulting in death however, you'd just be beaten and forced to grovel. (and quietly seethe and plot revenge)

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

All Sith's are a slave to their emotions!

>_>

:p

As much as I like the Sith Warrior, I think that was a flaw in how the character was written.

One of the problems with both playable Sith characters is that the player is provided too many opportunities to be insubordinate without there being consequences. While that works as fan service, it doesn't mesh well with the story.

Sith Apprentices should be living in terror of their masters, and with good reason, at least until they've reached a point where they've sufficiently mastered the dark side to challenge their masters. An acolyte fresh from Korriban should not be able to get away with snarking Baras or Zash, at least not without being force-lightning'd into submission.

Other Sith that aren't your immediate superiors? Sure... An apprentice to Baras or Zash also represents their master, and that Sith has to fear offending them. The snark would be more believable there.

I think both Baras and Zash should have had a scene where challenging their authority too forcefully or too early would result in a cutscene where the player character was zapped and overpowered, or a light saber duel (pre-level sync) where you were outleveled massively and guaranteed to get crushed. Rather than resulting in death however, you'd just be beaten and forced to grovel. (and quietly seethe and plot revenge)

I think it makes sense though, with the intended character of the SW. If SW is supposed to be most like Vader, could you imagine Palpatine forcing a young Vader to grovel? Or forcing Anakin to grovel?

In SW it made sense to me that he could get away with being snippy because he was going above and beyond the expectations of a new Sith apprentice all the freakin' time. If Baras was able to kick your face in because you got a little snippy, he might actually hurt you and then how are you going to accomplish the things that his lazy *** wants you to accomplish?

Baras, if you'll notice, hardly even cares. He has his plans for you and once you are through executing them, he will get rid of you. That's how he operates with everyone.

Or with Zash. Major spoilers ahead:

She didn't want to be wearing damaged goods for a body. So *********** with you too much could wind up with her having worse of a body to work with.

• 8 months later...

My top 8 classes are:

1. Sith Inquisitor

2. Jedi Knight

3. Sith Warrior

4. Imperial Agent

5. Jedi Consular

6. Smuggler

7. Trooper

8. Bounty Hunter (the most boring story for me of all of the other classes).

Edited by Dzqn

• 3 years later...

1. Bounty Hunter - I've been a big Mandalorian fan since childhood

2. Trooper - I dig the voice of the male variant

3. Jedi Knight - Quintessentially Star Wars

4. Sith Inquisitor - Rags to riches the fun way

5. Smuggler - Southern Drawl

6. Sith Warrior - Predictable in hindsight

7. Jedi Consular - I like it but the story drags a bit

8. Imperial Agent - I like all the stories but something had to be last