My thoghts on the state of the EU

DeltaBos

For my fellow EU purists, I have developed a system by which those of us who were outraged by the destruction of the EU can rest easy:

After I heard Disney had done away with the EU, I spent a good week rocking back and forth in a corner. After that, I spent another week ranting about Disney to my friends/colleagues/family/random strangers who walked by. And after that I trolled the forums to trash Disney. Now I finally realized something, essentially, Star Wars is now in a closed state. We have a beginning and an end and the true Star Wars universe has told every story it has, for better or worse. Star Wars was created by George Lucas, and as such he had the final say on what did and didn’t go. There was little EU content he directly contradicted, and overall everything flowed well. Now that George no longer owns Star Wars, that universe is essentially closed. Seeing as how George Lucas isn’t in control anymore, nothing that spawns from Star Wars can be considered “what really happened.” The true, pure Star Wars is for each fan to decide.

Essentially, the real Star Wars universe is signed sealed and stored away. Innocent people will always be caught up in Jedi/Sith arguments, Revan will always be the most epic Jedi/Sith of all time, our characters are immortalized in the Star Wars universe, Darth Bane will always be the father of the Rule of Two, Republic Commandos will always kick ***, Starkiller will always be the foundation of the Rebellion, The Yuuzhan Vong will always eff up the galaxy, Kyle Katarn will always be the Chuck Norris of Star Wars, and Darth Talon will, obviously, always be hot.

It’s really up for the fans to determine for themselves what is official or not, but for us EU purists, I think this is what we should go for, anything spawned from Disney is just a “what if” regardless of what Emperor Mickey tells us to believe, this way we can rest easy that Star Wars is forever set and their stories concluded, and still enjoy the new content with the idea that it’s just Disney’s “maybe this could have happened if…”

I imagine Mara Jade, Luke, Han and Leia all in a bar one nigh talking about: I wonder what would have happened if… and that’s where Disney start’s making their alternate stories. Star Wars is set, every story that happened has been told and sealed away. Whatever Disney spawns, regardless of what they say is official or not, is primarily just a “what if.”

This is to help me and my fellow EU believers who hated what Disney has twisted. For those of you who believe the EU is crap and are thrilled that it’s being trashed, that’s fine, I’m not going to argue with your opinion.

(Also, seeing as how SWTOR was created before Disney bought Star Wars anything added in a future update also counts as part of real Star Wars)

Edited by DeltaBos

Thank you for pulling me out of my anti-disney rage :D I personally am giving the new movie a chance, but not much of one, since they said all my money spent was on fanfictions. I hope many people will still read EU (i will NEVER call it legends) and experience the tactical genius that is Thrawn, the jokester of Wes Janson, The officer who changed the Empire for the better (Gillad Pellaeon), and many other characters.

Personally, i think that if you don't know the line "Yub Yub, Commander" you should really read the books.

While no more new come, there is plenty of books to still read (At least for me) I've read around 70 of them, and i have yet to read all of the NJO, LoTF, the Darth Bane books, and plenty of others. And Di$ney saying it is fanfiction won't stop me from enjoying it. I -Might- buy the new books, but i doubt it, unless they get Zahn, or Stackpole (Or even Aaron Allston if he comes back from the grave) to write some of them.

[...]

Thank you!

Nice to know I'm not the only one feeling it!

the EU will always remain "my-canon" no matter what Emperor Mickey (<---lol!) says. **** "Legends..." Just, seriously, **** it.

I disagree re-- Kyle Katarn, though:

Oh sure, he is most definitely a major B/A, but the real Chuck Norris of the SW universe will always be Wedge Antilles :)

My thought is the EU is the REAL Star Wars while Disney's movies will remain the alternate timeline .

I do not have much hope for Disney in making these movies, especially with Abrams at the helm. He redesigned Star Trek to be what he wanted (ruining it for me), now he will do it to Star Wars. I will bet he has something dealing with a time distortion happening in the movie just like all his other junk.

While i can hope the movies will do justice to SW, I half expect this coming trilogy to be the "Highlander 2" of Star Wars. It never happened...

Beautifully stated OP! I was searching for sentiments similar to these but just couldn't find the right words to set my nerdy lil heart at ease over the tragic de-canonization of our beloved EU. This is a very comforting a sensible way to look at it. Really enjoyed reading this. Edited by joshbyrd

Beautifully stated OP! I was searching for sentiments similar to these but just couldn't find the right words to set my nerdy lil heart at ease over the tragic de-canonization of our beloved EU. This is a very comforting a sensible way to look at it. Really enjoyed reading this.

Have you taken a look over at Wookieepedia since The Day the Music Died, at articles under the "Canon" tab?

So un-creative, so gracelessly un-intelligent, so depressingly over-simplistic and inane, so...shallow :(

Our beloved myhtos is worthy of better than this, not being left in the hands of hacks. (One of the worst of whom being The George, I might add.)

25 April 2014: It never happened, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, we've got the EU & the DU (Disney universe). And while I'm looking forward to EP7, at this point IDGAD about the new Disney books. I'll pick one up when Timothy Zahn or Troy Denning writes one. Until then...like someone else said.....Starkiller helped start the rebel alliance, Luke marries the deadly redhead who was the hand, Thrawn was a genius, Dala is insane, Allana is the future, and when I need crazy, I'll call a Barabel!

I can't tell if some of the sentiments being expressed here are genuine, or if people are parodying the over-the-top fandom that geek culture can sometimes spiral into.

Well, old saying among sports-journalists: " 'Fan' is the first syllable in 'fanatic.' "

But:

It's the sheer, incredible disrespect with which these no-talent hacks have (mis-)handled almost 40 years of creativity --some of which arguably saved the franchise from irrelevance (was StarWars still a thing for all but the most rabid fans before the Thrawn trilogy, you think?)-- and the shallow, brainless twaddle they "replace" it with that are getting to me.

Well, old saying among sports-journalists: " 'Fan' is the first syllable in 'fanatic.' "

But:

It's the sheer, incredible disrespect with which these no-talent hacks have (mis-)handled almost 40 years of creativity --some of which arguably saved the franchise from irrelevance (was StarWars still a thing for all but the most rabid fans before the Thrawn trilogy, you think?)-- and the shallow, brainless twaddle they "replace" it with that are getting to me.

No-talent hacks! :D

Do you even know who your referring too? Oh too funny.

EDIT: But what's this "shallow, brainless twaddle" your referring to? If its TCW then we will be having words...

Edited by Beniboybling

No-talent hacks! :D

Do you even know who your referring too? Oh too funny.

EDIT: But what's this "shallow, brainless twaddle" your referring to? If its TCW then we will be having words...

If you're trying to refute someone else's opinion on something being stupid, then you should first learn the difference between:

You're/your,

Too/to,

And which is used, when. Because you just look like a joke to any intelligent person, otherwise. Sorry bru, but that's just the sad, simple truth.

Yes, I know very well to whom I'm referring.

Next!

Edited by midianlord

If you're try to refute someone else's opinion on something being stupid, then you should first learn the difference between:

You're/your,

Too/to,

And which is used, when.

Next!

Should he also learn the difference between "try" and "trying"? Oh wait, he's not the one having issues with that one.

Edited by DarthDymond

Should he also learn the difference between "try" and "trying"? Oh wait, he's not the one having issues with that one.

Yeah, I know:

I kin taipe rell guud!

Fixed now, though.

E:

I'd love to stay and chat some more, but those Gormak aren't gonna kill thmselves...

Edited by midianlord

If you're trying to refute someone else's opinion on something being stupid, then you should first learn the difference between:

You're/your,

Too/to,

And which is used, when. Because you just look like a joke to any intelligent person, otherwise. Sorry bru, but that's just the sad, simple truth.

Next!

Correcting my spelling and grammar? On the internet? Ok, pal. I think "intelligent" people are more likely to take note of your crazy rantings. Anyway I'd actually like those questions answered please, we need some expansion on that logic.

EDIT:

I'd love to stay and chat some more, but those Gormak aren't gonna kill thmselves...
Oh, leaving so soon? Thanks for the laughs I guess.

*themselves.

Edited by Beniboybling

Correcting my spelling and grammar? On the internet? Ok, pal. I think "intelligent" people are more likely to take note of your crazy rantings. Anyway I'd actually like those questions answered please, we need some expansion on that logic.

EDIT:

Oh, leaving so soon? Thanks for the laughs I guess.

*themselves.

Nope, sorry:

My typing skills/lack thereof aside, I just can't take you seriously if you can't be arsed to even try to get primary-school-level grammar right.

I'm assuming you must want to be on some level, otherwise why would you bother posting at all?

Just look at almost anything The George has said in the last....oh, ten years or so? Ever since the prequels, at any rate, so maybe longer.

Anyway, you're derailing the thread. Stay on-topic please, or if you must, then go start fights in the PvP forum, that's what it's there for.

Edited by midianlord

Nope, sorry:

My typing skills/lack thereof aside, I just can't take you seriously if you can't be arsed to even try to get primary-school-level grammar right.

I'm assuming you must want to be on some level, otherwise why would you bother posting at all?

Just look at almost anything The George has said in the last....oh, ten years or so? Ever since the prequels, at any rate, so maybe longer.

Anyway, you're derailing the thread. Stay on-topic please, or if you must, then go start fights in the PvP forum, that's what it's there for.

De-railing this thread? I'm not the one making childish remarks about people's grammar. I understand, you think its a clever comeback or something and are trying to keep it relevant, but its not, its silly. End of.

Don't think its going to distract me from scrutinizing your stance either. I plan on getting to the bottom of this.

Anyway on topic, so George Lucas - the man who invented Star Wars - is a talentless hack? A bold claim! Or are we saying the Prequel Trilogy is the "shallow, brainless twaddle" that they are somehow replacing the post-ROTJ EU (?) with - this point escapes me. Regardless you may not be aware but George sold his company to Disney, he's not running the show anymore, he has very little, if anything, to do with the changes being made to the EU.

EDIT: But wait, are we referring to statements made by George Lucas, how in anyway are they relevant?

Perhaps you'd like to revise your statement in light of that, because as far as I know Disney are far from "talentless hacks" and many of those involved in this re-purposing are veterans from Lucasfilm - Chee, Hidalgo, talented people.

Edited by Beniboybling

[...]

Anyway on topic, so George Lucas - the man who invented Star Wars - is a talentless hack? A bold claim! Or are we saying the Prequel Trilogy is the "shallow, brainless twaddle" that they are somehow replacing the post-ROTJ EU (?) with - this point escapes me. Regardless you may not be aware but George sold his company to Disney, he's not running the show anymore, he has very little, if anything, to do with the changes being made to the EU.

[...]

Yes, he is. He had/has great ideas, and had people with actual talent realise them, the ones where he didn't were...less than great.

I was willing to expand on this --at length-- until you started childishly attacking me for the crime of saying something you don't happen to like/agree with, so **** you fanboy, I'm finished with you.

Planning to re-read all of Timothy Zahn's novels for like the 10th time, because they are amazing!

Disney may say all it wants, they are canon to me. After seeing the new Star Trek movie, I have no idea how Episode VII will be. Even if it is canon, it might suck big time...but I have my Timothy Zahn's books to always console me.

We can always ignore it as we do with a certain...hm...special part of Star Wars :D

Yes, he is. He had/has great ideas, and had people with actual talent realise them, the ones where he didn't were...less than great.

I was willing to expand on this --at length-- until you started childishly attacking me for the crime of saying something you don't happen to like/agree with, so **** you fanboy, I'm finished with you.

Well that's great and all but as I said Lucas is no longer in charge. This isn't a case of me simply disagreeing with your point, it just doesn't make sense, its silly arbitrary hyperbole - and apparently I'm a child for pointing that out.

I think its high time that you realise that if your going to say dumb stuff on the internet you will be laughed at.

Edited by Beniboybling

Beautifully stated OP! I was searching for sentiments similar to these but just couldn't find the right words to set my nerdy lil heart at ease over the tragic de-canonization of our beloved EU. This is a very comforting a sensible way to look at it. Really enjoyed reading this.

I'm glad I could help someone else with this. Like I said I was pretty much rocking back and forth in a corner for a while over this and I knew I wasn't the only one seriously ticked off at Disney, so when I had that light bulb moment I couldn't keep it to myself.

• 4 weeks later...