BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

I have a Commando. I started PvP'ing with him back when Battlemaster gear was top of the heap. I ground out a full set on an Imp heavy server. It was fun since I like playing the underdog, and a PvP Commando on a heavily outgunned Rep team definitely fit that bill. The class has serious shortcomings, but I was enjoying it nonetheless. It wasn't because the class was terribly fun in PvP thouguh, that's for sure. Still, the Reps slowly but surely played better as a whole, I got the occasional BM piece to finish my set, and Bioware had promises of improving Commando/Merc game play to address the problems. I had faith that my underdog would see changes that would let him perform as well as other classes in PvP.

Then the changes hit the preview server...

Well, so much for faith. I've been waiting since then for meaningful change. Luckily I was forced to change character names during the first server merge. I gave my Commando a promotion, stuck him in a desk job, and put my Gunslinger on the front lines in his place.

Captain Crunch is no more. Major Disappointment waits impatiently on Fleet, shuffling paperwork, until the expansion. Try harder this time Bioware...I hate paperwork.

I have a similar vibe for my original Merc who acts as a mule and financial backer to my vanguard and sniper in their glorious exploits. The other day I was showing my merc to fellow guildie and I was thinking they would say 'hey have your maxed out merc join too". Not a chance despite my Mercs ability to out dps my sniper.

My Argument: If a sentinel/marauder can Smash-Slash-Flash and then go invisible why nerf a mercs tracer missle for godsake :mad:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar vibe for my original Merc who acts as a mule and financial backer to my vanguard and sniper in their glorious exploits. The other day I was showing my merc to fellow guildie and I was thinking they would say 'hey have your maxed out merc join too". Not a chance despite my Mercs ability to out dps my sniper.

My Argument: If a sentinel/marauder can Smash-Slash-Flash and then go invisible why nerf a mercs tracer missle for godsake :mad:

Because the devs play force users and they don't like getting hit with tracer missiles/grav rounds and then eating a 5k+Demo Round. Hence, the nerfs.

I can't speak to what the devs play, but the game is clearly meant to appeal to players that want to play as lightsaber wielding demigods. It's Star Wars. But you'd think there would be some acknowledgment that they messed up the design of this AC relative to the other classes. Of course they didn't *intend* to make PvPing with merc/mandos a miserable gameplay experience, so the lack of any progress on this front is puzzling (sorry, but it's going to take more than a net to fix this class for PvP). How many times can an Assassin cc a merc/mando during the TTK while he repeatedly shoves a saber up your backside? It's ludicrous and obscene. And during that time, how many actions is the merc/mando able to perform? You'll lose two-thirds of your health bar just trying to get your single-target mez off (since you already blew your single-use Power Surge with its absurdly miserly 2 minute cooldown - two minutes!). I know you don't want to give us toooo much of a head start, but throw us a bone. This class has been exiled in SWTOR Siberia long enough.

This class is BROKEN for competitive high-level PvP in all specs. B-R-O-K-E-N. In a PvP environment now dominated by flying smash monkeys, giggling pyro-pwrtechs and tanksins with a ridiculously ample bag of tricks, this class is simply unenjoyable. And never mind the occasional nasty tells in level 50 WZs to the effect that merc/mando players are sinking the team just by showing up, and that we effectively make the team one player short. Fix it, fix it, fix it. It's not the players, it's the class design relative to ALL the others. It's actually the biggest and most glaring design-related class balance issue in the whole game by a mile. Everything else is just tinkering with variables.

I can't speak to what the devs play, but the game is clearly meant to appeal to players that want to play as lightsaber wielding demigods. It's Star Wars. But you'd think there would be some acknowledgment that they messed up the design of this AC relative to the other classes. Of course they didn't *intend* to make PvPing with merc/mandos a miserable gameplay experience, so the lack of any progress on this front is puzzling (sorry, but it's going to take more than a net to fix this class for PvP). How many times can an Assassin cc a merc/mando during the TTK while he repeatedly shoves a saber up your backside? It's ludicrous and obscene. And during that time, how many actions is the merc/mando able to perform? You'll lose two-thirds of your health bar just trying to get your single-target mez off (since you already blew your single-use Power Surge with its absurdly miserly 2 minute cooldown - two minutes!). I know you don't want to give us toooo much of a head start, but throw us a bone. This class has been exiled in SWTOR Siberia long enough.

This class is BROKEN for competitive high-level PvP in all specs. B-R-O-K-E-N. In a PvP environment now dominated by flying smash monkeys, giggling pyro-pwrtechs and tanksins with a ridiculously ample bag of tricks, this class is simply unenjoyable. And never mind the occasional nasty tells in level 50 WZs to the effect that merc/mando players are sinking the team just by showing up, and that we effectively make the team one player short. Fix it, fix it, fix it. It's not the players, it's the class design relative to ALL the others. It's actually the biggest and most glaring design-related class balance issue in the whole game by a mile. Everything else is just tinkering with variables.

I'm ArchangelLBC and I approve this message.

Also bump.

I think everyone just gave up, I hoped that all those months I spent leveling, gearing up & tweaking my merc would not have been in vain, guess I was wrong, thank you Bioware, thank you.

ive given up.

ive made the decision to stop willing making myself miserable by playing such a crappy class. in doing so, ive actually made the game a little more fun for myself.

Thank you Bioware for making this game a terrible experience.

Sincerely,

Elite Warlord Mathrim Cauthon

Even @ level 32 the amount of fun my assassin gives me and oh boy the tools I get my merc is now a stim seller lol GG Bw you fail your community where this AC is concerned

Even @ level 32 the amount of fun my assassin gives me and oh boy the tools I get my merc is now a stim seller lol GG Bw you fail your community where this AC is concerned

Man you have no idea how much I love the class but dear god.

My merc is level 43 pyro spec sure I can do a lot of damage and usually at the top but then I jump on my level 32 Powertech who hasn't even got thermal detonator and I can just facecheck the enemy spamming flame burst ,railshot and my taunt and get the same numbers without even trying and pressing 3-4 buttons spamming space bar for the lolz..

The moment a sentinel or shadow attacks my merc I basically gotta hope they are retarded or a ally is nearby. My powertech kinda just side strafes and kites the hell out of them spamming flameburst and laughing his *** off :confused:

Im really thinking of shelfing my incomplete merc and just leveling the powertech seems like he will be less of a headache to play at 50 where people "kinda" start having a brain.

Edited by Abbyssion

I power leveled a merc before 1.7 because I was told there were getting major buffs, I was lied to

Now I have a useless class - I can only imagine the pain for you poor sons a *****es who have this AC as their main

Who told you that major buffs were coming with 1.7?

Been playing my new Vanguard for a while, and the Assault spec is just so boring, so i decided to go back to my Commando for a bit.

On my 2nd warzone, i did just over a million damage. I think i will play my Commando alot more again :D

Got similar situation yesterday and today (not get million dmg but always in best 3 in dps), Pyro PT is boring as hell... But with high dmg on merc/mandos BW's metrics shine with bright light which tells them - merc is fine lets buff these poor glowsticks!

Also one more thing. From my observation eniemies start to ignore me on the battlefield and can't interrupt me effectively. My point is - there are many FoTMs and F2Ps o WZs and mercs become quite rare so there were situations when ppl don't know how fight with mercs, they don't know them. That was odd and quite funny :) . Probably b/c of early time of my game so most of veterans were offline.

Edited by Pefny

Got similar situation yesterday and today (not get million dmg but always in best 3 in dps), Pyro PT is boring as hell... But with high dmg on merc/mandos BW's metrics shine with bright light which tells them - merc is fine lets buff these poor glowsticks!

Also one more thing. From my observation eniemies start to ignore me on the battlefield and can't interrupt me effectively. My point is - there are many FoTMs and F2Ps o WZs and mercs become quite rare so there were situations when ppl don't know how fight with mercs, they don't know them. That was odd and quite funny :) . Probably b/c of early time of my game so most of veterans were offline.

I think a lot of players underestimate how much damage a well geared Commando/Merc can do. Positioning helps aswell. It was a Civil War game so i spent the majority of the game on the ramps to the sides of the middle objective. I did have a juggernaut occasionally jump me, but i normally knocked him back off straight away, buying me time to focus him down before he reaches me.

I think a lot of players underestimate how much damage a well geared Commando/Merc can do. Positioning helps aswell. It was a Civil War game so i spent the majority of the game on the ramps to the sides of the middle objective. I did have a juggernaut occasionally jump me, but i normally knocked him back off straight away, buying me time to focus him down before he reaches me.

i think a lot of players overestimate how well they play in PvP.

like has been stated numberous times...over and over, Merc can be played quite efficiently versus players of lesser skill.

when it comes time to play with the pros, Mercs are nothing short of a hinderance to their team. they are easy kills, weaker healers, and their dps is easily shut down.

so, thanks for the optimism, but you're missing the point of this post.

Edited by T-Assassin

A warlord jugg decided to attack me on ilum yesterday while I was soloing the gree event and we battled for about 5 minutes, he did massive damage and took forever for me to kill, but since I could out heal his damage and kept grinding him down, I was able to defeat him.

If I was specced assault or gunnery I would have been dead in less than a minute, so again, combat medic is almost overpowered, while the other two specs are to be desired.

Please address ASAP bioware, thanks!

Jyx

Combat Medic Commando

JungMa

A warlord jugg decided to attack me on ilum yesterday while I was soloing the gree event and we battled for about 5 minutes, he did massive damage and took forever for me to kill, but since I could out heal his damage and kept grinding him down, I was able to defeat him.

If I was specced assault or gunnery I would have been dead in less than a minute, so again, combat medic is almost overpowered, while the other two specs are to be desired.

Jyx

Combat Medic Commando

JungMa

Not overpowered against a player who knows how to time his interrupts and cc abilities, but it's true that a CM can win through attrition provided the opponent isn't making effective use of interrupts and cc, and provided the CM can manage their ammo throughout the encounter. So it's possible to wear down Juggs, much more difficult with Maras and nearly impossible with well-played Assassins.

Jyx

Combat Medic Commando

JungMa

Lol...... any healer with a brain can solo a juggernaut sure its going to take forever but its not hard:rolleyes: if he was Rage would have been easy just time cds and watch ammo, ven doesnt have the damage to solo a healer(dots can be cleansed) and Immortal.....lol

That's what happens in regular warzones against people that don't understand you're a free kill and don't understand that you're a huge threat if left to sit there and free cast.

Smart players and good teams don't underestimate our damage when left to free cast but also know how to completely take us out of the equation, making us an empty spot on a ranked warzone.

I had a Guardian Force push me from the ramp over the wall about 20 yards deep into grass. needless to say I lost the node :)