Star Citizen funding passes $38million.....

ImmortalLowlife

No different then SWTOR being overly hyped only to end up sucking.

Difference is, the people funded this project, not corporations, so if it sucks those people that spent $38 mill are going to be very very angry about it.

A Triple-A MMO backed by the biggest corporation in the entire industry is quite different.

Edited by LadyKulvax

Difference is, the people funded this project, not corporations, so if it sucks those people that spent $38 mill are going to be very very angry about it.

A Triple-A MMO backed by the biggest corporation in the entire industry is quite different.

I absolutely agree. And MMO gamers already feel such "ownership" over a game, no gamers complain more and criticize more than MMO players. Can you IMAGINE the forum rage coming from people that helped fund the game? Because ultimately there will absolutely be a number of gamers that aren't happy with the direction the devs take in that game based on the fact that you can't please everyone. And if they helped to fund the project...wow. I cannot WAIT for the forums when this game goes live!

Note: I am NOT saying the game will be bad. I have no idea whatsoever and it could end up being amazing. But no matter what it turns out to be there will definitely be some people that hate it. And if those people paid for the development...ouch. Again: those forums are going to be great.

Yeah. Only a matter of time before the internet locks up and melts down when these kickstarters (backed by famous names) begin to disappoint.

It will not be good for the concept of kickstarter as a grass roots concept either.

I am very concerned because we haven't seen a lick of development except the hangar module. I was a VERY early backer because what I thought they were doing was very exciting.

Here we are, almost a year and half later and all we see is scope creep and promises. As a project manager I fear scope creep in every project and I fear that is what is happening here. I am very concerned this game will never live up to the hype because its almost become this mythical creature that will save gaming when that premise is ridiculous to begin with.

That said, this is game development and quite honestly I have almost NO business telling them to release more demos. They can only physically go as fast as their bodies will let them and assuming this game is as complex as it is, things take time.

Edited by Arkerus

I am a happy backer of Star Citizen (I've missed Chris Roberts' games) but I only pledged 36 euro for the Aurora LN package, it felt like the best thing to do as, well, we don't have a game yet... I'd rather be cautious. 36 euro is not an amount I'd really cry over, and at worst I would have spoken with my cash in favor of space games. I will be very sad if the game flops or doesn't even make it to release, but I can only begin to imagine how those people who pledged thousands would react if they found SC to be bad :eek: Edited by archifikoss

Read this thread and then I immediately start regretting dropping 2500$ into it.

What if it doesn't even make it to the shelfs..?

Wish I wasn't so god damn easy to convince about stuff.. >.<

I do have my own fleet now though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

No different then SWTOR being overly hyped only to end up sucking.

Don't be stuck in the past. This game doesn't have nearly the amount of bugs or problems at start up and it has lots more things to do. Plus, it doesn't suck. I don't think people know what "sucks" means. Flat out, completely and utterly hopeless as a game that has bugs every single place you go, is completely unplayable, has no clear story, crashes and nobody ever plays it.

Read this thread and then I immediately start regretting dropping 2500$ into it.

What if it doesn't even make it to the shelfs..?

Wish I wasn't so gosh darn easy to convince about stuff.. >.<

I do have my own fleet now though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Come now, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you; have some faith in Chris and his team. ;)

Personally, I don't think the $1.200 I pledged for this project were unwarranted; I don't regret it and still am thrilled about the prospect of the next Wing Commander! :cool:

Don't be stuck in the past. This game doesn't have nearly the amount of bugs or problems at start up and it has lots more things to do. Plus, it doesn't suck. I don't think people know what "sucks" means. Flat out, completely and utterly hopeless as a game that has bugs every single place you go, is completely unplayable, has no clear story, crashes and nobody ever plays it.

That would be SimCity.

TOR is more like a beige Corolla. It's does the job, but not in a particularly exciting way.

That would be SimCity.

TOR is more like a beige Corolla. It's does the job, but not in a particularly exciting way.

If that Beige Corolla is your first car though, it's the most exciting car you've driven.

Which is kinda the reason why TOR is still chuggin along.

Maybe one day it will even offer the freedom to play it.

Hahaha... I wouldn't count on that, friend. ;)

Chris Roberts has made it clear from the beginning that he does not like the common payment systems most of the current MMO's use, and that he will take a different approach. In essence this means, Star Citizen will be a "pay once to play on as many computers you like, as long as you like" game. It will never be a subscription game, and most certainly never a free-to-play game, since that one-time payment will remain the main source of income for the game. And apart from the game, the only thing you'll be able to buy with real cash is UEC (=credits), so no cash-cow-shop ingame either, sorry. :D

And if you wonder if he'll be able to resist the urge of his publisher to completely forfeit f2p -- surprise, he doesn't need a publisher, so there'll be no one interfering with this. :cool:

Edited by dermitni

I am counting on it as much as I am counting on the WoD MMO ever becoming a reality: not at all.

If it doesn't eventually have a F2P option, I certainly will not try it. I'm not going to pay money to play a game I've never played.

Then I'm afraid you won't be playing this game. ;)

What are the differences in terms of Galaxy and Economic (mining, trading) between Star Citizen and ELITE: Dangerous??

There are a lot of differences, but the most prominent one would be the level of detail that Star Citizen aims for -- and the resulting beefy hardware requirements to even play it with lowest settings. :D

Apart from that, since the differences are quite numerous (beginning with the game's focus) I'd suggest asking this in CIG's forum; they're quite open-minded when it comes to friendly competition; Chris Roberts apparently even pledged for Elite Dangerous. ;)

Then I'm afraid you won't be playing this game. ;)

Neither will anyone else, for very long.

There are a lot of differences, but the most prominent one would be the level of detail that Star Citizen aims for -- and the resulting beefy hardware requirements to even play it with lowest settings. :D

"Beefy hardware requirements." Always a good sign for a mass market computer game.

Neither will anyone else, for very long.

"Beefy hardware requirements." Always a good sign for a mass market computer game.

I know... :( At least I have the dogfighting module to look forward to in April to sharpen my trigger finger.

I'm not 100% sure I'd call SC mass market actually bran. It is primarily aimed at what is now a rather niche audience (I don't think many people are interested in space sims) - and CR always made games that pushed technical boundaries. This is no exception. He did say he'd like as many people as possible to play of course (he's a businessman after all as well as a hardcore gamer), but he doesn't seem prepared to compromise his vision to cater to the average mass gamer.

I know... :( At least I have the dogfighting module to look forward to in April to sharpen my trigger finger.

I'm not 100% sure I'd call SC mass market actually bran. It is primarily aimed at what is now a rather niche audience

Then it better be a large friggin' niche or the niche members better be willing to pay $200 a month to play (or something), if the game is going to be anything more than a glorified web based adventure game.

This is no exception. He did say he'd like as many people as possible to play of course (he's a businessman after all as well as a hardcore gamer), but he doesn't seem prepared to compromise his vision to cater to the average mass gamer.

He sounds like maybe he's a "Gamers need me more than I need them" type of person.

Edited by branmakmuffin

• 5 months later...