How much Defense/Shield/Absorb is enough for an Immortal Jugg in PvP?

Loadsamonie

I'm aware of how ineffective Tank stats on the whole tend to be in PvP because of all the crits and yellow damage that goes out, but that doesn't make it completely worthless. And because I do PvE content on the side, I need to have at least SOME to be able to fulfill my expected role and give myself some survivability outside of Warzones.

The question is, how much is enough for a PvP tank? With diminsihing returns in mind, how much do I need to function effectively in PvE without crippling my damage output in PvP?

What I was thinking was to run two Absorb Implants, a Shield Earpiece and Generator, and then all my armor would have DPS stats (tank set bonus with mods swapped out). I would also have both Tank and DPS Relics to swap out, DPS Relics for PvP and Tank Relics for PvE. This way I get a nice balance of both stats across the board on one set of gear and not have to constantly swap.

Would this work?

Edited by Loadsamonie

:eek:

I'll be 70 in a few days, I have to get SOME sort of gear set to at least do PvP and heroics with.

The issue is, building a skanking set currently requires a lot of crafting or command point/unassembled components that you really dont want to blow when we have no idea how theyre changing things.

If you do dps, a pure dps set is the safest option right now, as its understood and not changing in the near future.

If i absolutely had to gear a tank right now, I'd probably go for the mitigation setup because i know it will never be useless. Here again, you want the 248 tank armorings, with high endurance mods and enhancements.

Also though whether to go lethal or warding b mods would be relatively unknown as we dont know what theyre doing to dps mods on tanks. The enhancements are the 246 crafted ones with high shield/absorb and endurance but low defense.

What will be best for pvp is so unknown, i just cant make a recommendation that you waste your probably limited resources on skanking until we know more.

The issue is, building a skanking set currently requires a lot of crafting or command point/unassembled components that you really dont want to blow when we have no idea how theyre changing things.

If you do dps, a pure dps set is the safest option right now, as its understood and not changing in the near future.

If i absolutely had to gear a tank right now, I'd probably go for the mitigation setup because i know it will never be useless. Here again, you want the 248 tank armorings, with high endurance mods and enhancements.

Also though whether to go lethal or warding b mods would be relatively unknown as we dont know what theyre doing to dps mods on tanks. The enhancements are the 246 crafted ones with high shield/absorb and endurance but low defense.

What will be best for pvp is so unknown, i just cant make a recommendation that you waste your probably limited resources on skanking until we know more.

So is it okay to just go for one full tanking set then and wait for 5.9? I'd still go with Fortitude augs for some extra Stam/Power, but otherwise all my gear would have Tank stats.

In PvE any tank gear at a min of 230 is fine for all content except hard/nightmare raids, where you want to be more 242 up to help your healers but experience still matters more.

In PvP any DPS gear you can replace your tank gear with is generally superior as long as it doesn't have accuracy on it (you still want a shield generator though).

Min maxing is pointless unless you're nightmare raiding or doing ranked.

So is it okay to just go for one full tanking set then and wait for 5.9? I'd still go with Fortitude augs for some extra Stam/Power, but otherwise all my gear would have Tank stats.

Personally this is what i would do, not saying its necessarily the best. The augs at 228 are cheap, so really however you want to go.

Provided your pvp playstyle is as a tank, youre not hindered by running high endurance tank stuff; you're just not really helped either. Thus the reason most of us skank: the damage is better than carrying worthless stats.

That said to me carrying worthless stats is better than dumping tons of resources into gear you may never use a month from now.

• 2 weeks later...

As for now optimal set, I kid you not, was going full adept enhancement + unlettered power/crit mod. The only tanking thing you'd wear would be 6 Set Bonus armoring and a Shield generator with dps mods already mentioned xD .

So yeah, let's wait to see new changes. Don't dedicate to anything yet.

• 1 month later...
Do we know anything now?

I have been searching and I have no consensus...

Kendra will be along soon I'm sure and give you the details on this.

Naturally it will be a skank tank build. There'll be even more skank tanks around since 5.9 now. Joy.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

For pvp tanking, as grim mentioned, skanking is going to be the "better" method. Dps mods and enhancements allow you to do more damage, without hindering your mitigation (because for pvp, def shield and absorb dont really do much).

Do note: pvp tanking is as much a playstyle as a gearing method. If all you do is go farm damage, you're wasting a space an actual dps could be using. Tanking is about survival and being an irritant: if they cant kill you, they probably cannot get the objective either. "Skanks" that do not toss around a guard or try to convince me they're better off without a healer drive me insane. I just ended up on someones ignore list today for calling out such a tank. I did over 3 million protection. This guy didnt even break 1. Oh but he did more damage! Awesome, dude, glad you pulled off half the damage my dps buddy over there did in the same time frame.

For specifics: I prefer to go with the high endurance dps mods and enhancements (lethal b mods and whatever the corresponding enhancements are called) and obviously a tank set bonus. I augment with 228 fortitude augments for maximum health.

There is some debate here, as some people (for the sake of both being able to use comms and to do more damage) who go for the "optimized" dps mods and enhancements and augment for crit/alac. To me, the extra 20-30k health is useful because I spend a lot of time running around on low health trying to eat damage. (One strategy of mine is literally to blade blitz into a wall or the node, in hopes my buddy gets a cast off in that split second, I've also used awe as a "holy crap get a heal off!" Strategy). I also am not philosophically fond of skanking despite doing it, so I gear for the most endurance possible as it's the only "tank" stat that effectively functions for pvp. Before anyone starts up, I do skank despite my philosophical objections because I do not feel like hindering my team for philosophy. The recent changes proved straight damage nerfs will not fix the problem.

For pve, especially for shadows and even more so for PTs, but I did it on my guardian as well, I would swap the warding b for lethal b mods. A increase in def rating from 2k ro 3k effectively nets you 4% defense chance. Yay? My guardian runs shield amp and reactive warding, but the dps relics on my PT and shadow as they were hit far harder by the nerfs and the impact of the relics is also minimal at best.

Again, tanking has far and away the most diversity in possible gearing methods, whether it be for pvp or pve. What I have stated is what works for me and my playstyle (aka a lot of getting punched in the face by 6 people with my healing buddy - so lots of damage eating). Thus, your mileage may vary and require some experimentation to come to what's optimal for you.

It also requires substantial crafting- either buying, crafting it yourself, or hopefully the method I use for my dozen guardians and half dozen juggies: phone a friend to do it for you for mats.

Hope I was helpful and sorry for the essay.

Edited by KendraP

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks kendra!!

So it seems nothing changed with regards to gearing... :/.

Nope in an interview the tank gear issue was dismissed as an "expansion level issue" so for the forseeable future the optimal way to gear will be skanking; in my opinion, high endurance skanking, because contrary to popular deluded belief, a skank is not a dps. My toon is hated because I'm next to impossible to kill with my healer, not because i do so much damage.

• 2 months later...

Kendra,

Well Stated and agreed upon, I've tried every setup you can imagine and the high endurance dps mods seem to work the best PVP wise. Especially if you don't have that healer buddy running along side you. Crazy damage doesn't matter if you get blown up in 2 seconds.