Luke's Death

BrandonSM

Does anyone think he will die soon?

Someone on the forums made me realize something. That Luke has gotten so out of hand and "godly" that the writers just can't kill him. They made him too important to the point where he is an old man fighting Dark Sided Gods(Abeloth).

Its not that I'm hating on him by wanting him to die, its just everyone needs to die sooner or later. And quite frankly I hate how most of the EU Post-ROTJ revolves around him and the Solo's.

Thoughts?

Yea... And?? Not that he was human, but Yoda lasted 900 years. Besides, Luke is a Jedi Grand Master. Don't you think at some point during his Force studies, the subject of life extention didn't come up?

Jedi would be less likely to follow such teachings for philosophical reasons. Extending one's life purposely with rituals shows an attachment to one's life to an extreme and dangerous degree. A Jedi is more likely to live longer simply because of a passive relationship with the Force. Besides, he already knows the secret to living forever by becoming one with the Force.

I actually had a passing thought on the Solos' and Luke's deaths earlier today. Honestly, I wish that it's kind of a passing thing as a Star Wars story focuses on some younger unrelated group of heroes doing their own thing preserving peace and justice then taking a moment to honor great legends as the Solos and Skywalker die from old age in peace.

But, perhaps, I'm just boring like that, because who am I kidding? Luke, Han, and Leia never go down without a fight.

I can see Han and Leia dying from old age, I just don't believe Luke will. I will be very suprised if makes it through this book.

Yoda's race was unique and long lived but even he, when told by Luke he couldn't die, responded, "Strong am I in the Force, but not that strong"

I can see Han and Leia dying from old age, I just don't believe Luke will. I will be very suprised if makes it through this book.

Yoda's race was unique and long lived but even he, when told by Luke he couldn't die, responded, "Strong am I in the Force, but not that strong"

Yes but Luke is stronger then Yoda and well...is pretty much a force god. So him living a lot longer, wouldn't be that much of a big surprise for people. I mean 100 is the standard, those that live up to 800 have been force sensitive.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

One good thing to come from his death though, is that since there can't be any other more powerful then Luke/Sidious they pretty much set and stopped the bar from going any higher. So there won't be any further craziness with the force(even though it can do pretty much anything), not that I am against it or anything but it should make people happy.

One good thing to come from his death though, is that since there can't be any other more powerful then Luke/Sidious they pretty much set and stopped the bar from going any higher. So there won't be any further craziness with the force(even though it can do pretty much anything), not that I am against it or anything but it should make people happy.

It only means there won't be any Jedi or Sith as powerful, that is the loophole.

IIRC didn't George Lucas state somewhere that Luke dies peacefully with no further details.

Personally I wouldn't mind it if this is how he dies. It may not be as sexy as going out in a blaze of glory fighting a thousand bounty hunters and Rancors but it'd be nice to see all those years of service rewarded.

It only means there won't be any Jedi or Sith as powerful, that is the loophole.

Mr. Lucas said that Luke is the most powerful force user, lightsaber duelist etc. He never gave him the "Jedi" qualification.

Sidious was give the most powerful "Sith" title.

Luke is absolute (at least with regards to mortals).

You do realize that would make him apx 155 years old right?

So what?

It is "a Long time ago in a galaxy far far away," with technology that is so far beyond ours.

In Star Trek (which is based in our "reality") humans live for 120+ years in the 24th century.

My point is just because we as a population cannot live that long now, does not mean it is beyond the realm of possibility.

As to the specific question of Luke dying. Somehow, I have a feeling he will not die in any chapter in any book. What the authors will do is simply stop writing about that particular generation of characters and their kids. Someone will write a SW novel that takes place generations after the main characters we all know and love are gone. They will be mentioned as heroes of the Rebel Alliance/New Republic/Galactic Alliance/Jedi Order from generations past but that is all.

Yes but Luke is stronger then Yoda and well...is pretty much a force god. So him living a lot longer, wouldn't be that much of a big surprise for people. I mean 100 is the standard, those that live up to 800 have been force sensitive.

luke is not stronger than yoda was in his prime. he isnt even as strong as anakin was. he can do some pretty remarkable things, but after that hes pretty much pooped out for the rest of the fight. lukes greatest strength lies in his allies and his strength of character.

that being said, i do think he will die at the end of this series to make room for Ben Skywalker to grow as a character. theyve spent a lot of time in this series showing how much the order needs luke, which leads me to believe his death will be the setup for the conflict in the next series.

luke is not stronger than yoda was in his prime. he isnt even as strong as anakin was. he can do some pretty remarkable things, but after that hes pretty much pooped out for the rest of the fight. lukes greatest strength lies in his allies and his strength of character.

that being said, i do think he will die at the end of this series to make room for Ben Skywalker to grow as a character. theyve spent a lot of time in this series showing how much the order needs luke, which leads me to believe his death will be the setup for the conflict in the next series.

Yes he is, look at Luke's feats they surpass any jedi before him.

also like to add that while they may have said "no one more powerful than luke or sideous" they did not say "no one equal to luke or sideous"

meaning, once luke dies, a new enemy can come up with power equal to or a bit less than luke and still be a threat to the remaining jedi.

also i feel luke's power has gone a bit out of control, needs to be killed off soon. no malice intended but he has superman syndrome

Yoda's race is naturally long lived, so bringing up him is a bit of a moot point.

150 is about the average lifespan of a Pure Strain Human without cybernetic augmentation in the Star Wars galaxy, and while the Force can sustain life, without doing some of the darkside rituals that we've seen I don't think it naturally extends it in any case in Canon. I'd put Luke's un-aided lifespan at around 170, much more than that is pushing it quite a bit.

Personally, I see Luke going out in a cataclysmic explosion taking the biggest Big Bad with him.

The PoST-ROTJ EU disagrees with you.

I can't wait for Luke to either become a side character or dies . Ben Skywalker needs more EU love and so far is a intresting character !

Luke has been too profitable for Lucas, doubt he will die anytime soonish but never say never !