Name Change

SalaciousGoodwin

Just curious, after you have created a character , can you change your characters name or are you just stuck with it?

You're stuck with it, sadly. You'll be stuck with your Legacy Name, too, when you get that, so choose carefully.

I'm sure given time a name changing service will be made available (BW has not even broached the subject yet, so there is no ETA; not even in the works). But for now, you're stuck with the character name you choose. Edited by psandak

Just transfer to another server and make sure your name is already taken in there, and you get a name change.

Better yet, if your name is somehow offensive or against naming rules, you get a forced name change.

The servers that you can transferred from have been locked as of yesterday so no new characters can be created on them.

To continue to enhance the overall gameplay experience for current and new players, we have eliminated the option to create new characters on selected origin servers. Visit http://www.swtor.com/transfer to see a list of all the selected origin servers that will be affected.

Later this summer, any remaining characters on selected origin servers will be automatically moved to designated destination servers. We will provide additional details regarding the automatic character transfer process at that time.

im not sure im getting this

what does that mean? i cannot create new characters on origin servers? what does that have to do with name change?

if my origin server is, for example, server A, i have a 50 character on it, now i am going to transfer my character to a destination server B, now, if i want to do a name change, i only have to create a new character with the name of my current character on server A in order to create a conflict, then i transfer my character to server B, the destination server, and i get a name change.

only makes sense if they lock the destination servers for character creation, but i dont understand why origin servers. If i already have a character on the origin server why would i create another one? and what does it have anything to do with name character-transfer name change

I think that's backwards, Create character on your destination server with the same name. When you transfer to that server, you will be forced to change your name because it's already in use.

yes that is what makes sense, but how does creating a new character on your origin server affect anything ? it should be destination server

Of course you would not even be able to create a character in the origin server anyway even if the character creation was not locked, because you can't create a character with a name that is already in use. So mentioning that character creation in origin servers is locked is a moot point.

As for destination server, the name needs to be taken in there. That means you may or may not have to create a character there. If someone else in the destination server already has a character with that name taken, then you don't even have to create anything, but just get a name change when getting in to that server.