I feel a bit sexist for saying this, but there are too damn many female leaders.

Duradel

A couple spoilers ahead regarding Revan and the Bounty Hunter storyline ahead, just FYI.

So when this chapter of the storyline started, we had the main Empire figures being Emperor Vitiate, Malgus, Keeper (for intelligence), and Mandalore (for the Mandalorians).

On the Republic side, we had Satele Shan, in charge of the Jedi Order, General Garza, in charge of the most elite Republic forces and the face of the Republic military, and Supreme Chancellor Janarus. Later on we got Revan, who i was excited about, believing he was going to play a major role in leading the Republic.

I felt there was something wrong with the Empire gender ratio, but I always liked that the Republic had a nice even half and half ratio of guys and girls.

:Spoilers now:

Later, I find out that the Empire casually kills both Revan and Janarus, preventing Revan from EVER leading and having Janarus replaced with Governer Saresh from Taris (I believe).

That means all the Empire leaders are guys (those still living) and all the Republic leaders and females.

Why? Are you trying to say something about the masculinity of the Republic, Bioware? You couldn't stick a girl in charge of Intelligence or replace Janarus with a strong male character?

I feel sexist for saying it, but it needed to be said.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly(think I may get hassled for this) I think its ok to be a tad bit sexist, in the sense that it seems to be something in humans that we can't control. I sometimes feel sexist about certain things, i'll admit I know its wrong but I just feel that way I can't control it, it just happens. Its a thing that comes and nags at your for abit. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Honestly(think I may get hassled for this) I think its ok to be a tad bit sexist, in the sense that it seems to be something in humans that we can't control. I sometimes feel sexist about certain things, i'll admit I know its wrong but I just feel that way I can't control it, it just happens. Its a thing that comes and nags at your for abit.

That's fine and dandy but it doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know why Bioware made every. single. leader female for the Republic. It's ridiculous

I don't think there is anything sexist about being surprised abput the amount of females in the army in this game. There are just some biological differences that make women not suitable for jobs like that. I would never create a female trooper, for example. It just doen't feel right.

And before I get flamed, yes, I am a girl.

I don't think there is anything sexist about being surprised abput the amount of females in the army in this game. There are just some biological differences that make women not suitable for jobs like that. I would never create a female trooper, for example. It just doen't feel right.

And before I get flamed, yes, I am a girl.

Meh, not really a factor in a space faring age. Physical strength differences between males and females are completely null in an age filled with cybernetics, blasters, and powerful armor. I can see women joining the military for the same reasons as men, and doing the same jobs just as effectively.

Edited by ShakespeareZombi

I think the gender split with women on the republic and men on the empire could be to do with their politcal views

Republic = rebuild, protect and seek peace (primitive motherly love)

Empire = war, destruction and dominance (primitive male tendencies)

"War is the province of men" Lord of the Rings by Tolkien

Since when did gender have anything to do with with a person's capabilities? and considering the massive difference in how many women there are in the EU, males are still WAY far ahead of women in this, get over yourself.

Great reading comprehension you have there. I had no complaints about the abilities of these leaders, I even like most of their characters. I just hate that they're distributed so that all the Empire leaders are male and all the Republic leaders are female.

But have fun on your soapbox.

I think I understand where you're coming from. Since current human society is and has traditionally been a male dominated culture, it can be jarring to see a situation where the leaders are exclusively female. I am a girl and I find it a bit jarring as well.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that there are a good number of females in power. Being a female gamer can be very depressing at times because a good portion of the woman you encounter in games are heavily sexualized. Not as much now, because the gaming industry finally seems to realize that female gamers do exist. I'll get off my soapbox now, but I admit that I do find the Republic's situation a bit refreshing.

Edited by HakkyounoTenshi

Great reading comprehension you have there. I had no complaints about the abilities of these leaders, I even like most of their characters. I just hate that they're distributed so that all the Empire leaders are male and all the Republic leaders are female.

That's a simple answer: The Empire is bigoted, and they're being portrayed as such.

Though I would argue your premise as well: Many of the Sith leaders are female. You're right that most of the Officers are male, but there's still plenty of female Sith.

Likewise, there are still plenty of male leaders in the Republic as well, especially within the military.

Edited by Kashaan

You're differentiating between Genders, the very title and description of your own problem with this states you dislike the fact there are so many Female Leaders, as if there is some difference in capability between the two, an individual's own capabilities should be the reason behind their station not their reproductive organs.

To be annoyed by something so trivial is ridiculous, once again, get over yourself.

A couple spoilers ahead regarding Revan and the Bounty Hunter storyline ahead, just FYI.

So when this chapter of the storyline started, we had the main Empire figures being Emperor Vitiate, Malgus, Keeper (for intelligence), and Mandalore (for the Mandalorians).

On the Republic side, we had Satele Shan, in charge of the Jedi Order, General Garza, in charge of the most elite Republic forces and the face of the Republic military, and Supreme Chancellor Janarus. Later on we got Revan, who i was excited about, believing he was going to play a major role in leading the Republic.

I felt there was something wrong with the Empire gender ratio, but I always liked that the Republic had a nice even half and half ratio of guys and girls.

:Spoilers now:

Later, I find out that the Empire casually kills both Revan and Janarus, preventing Revan from EVER leading and having Janarus replaced with Governer Saresh from Taris (I believe).

That means all the Empire leaders are guys (those still living) and all the Republic leaders and females.

Why? Are you trying to say something about the masculinity of the Republic, Bioware? You couldn't stick a girl in charge of Intelligence or replace Janarus with a strong male character?

I feel sexist for saying it, but it needed to be said.

It's really wierd, because Lucas apparently hates women. There's a serious lack of strong female characters in the movies, as hilariously pointed out by Cracked. http://www.cracked.com/video_18249_why-star-wars-secretly-terrifying-women.html I do approve of the better treatment of (virtual) women in SWTOR though.

Since when did gender have anything to do with with a person's capabilities?

Last time I checked the WNBA has had literally 2 dunks, ever. Just putting that out there.

Edited by Game_Hermit

*SPOILER*

dont get us started on revan...still pissed about that!

Call me stubborn, his health didn't hit zero thus he's not dead >.<

I refuse to believe that a man that could kill a Lord of the Sith (Malak) who was consuming the life force of Jedi all around him during the fight... was then killed by riff raff...

Edited by darthpit

It's really wierd, because Lucas apparently hates women. There's a serious lack of strong female characters in the movies, as hilariously pointed out by Cracked. http://www.cracked.com/video_18249_why-star-wars-secretly-terrifying-women.html I do approve of the better treatment of (virtual) women in SWTOR though.

Last time I checked the WNBA has had literally 2 dunks, ever. Just putting that out there.

I doubt George Lucas hates women.

I agree with the OP, it seems to me that forcibly putting women into any scenario just for the sake of gender equality is the worst form of sexism. I'd be able to relate to the story much more if we had less female characters in the game, not because I'm sexist, but because the real life armies of history and today are almost exclusively male.

I don't have an explanation for this, though I suspect it has something to do with males being built with a much larger capacity for physical distress, such as lifting heavy guns and stuff.

You might say that Star Wars is a fictional world, and as such real life norms to do not apply, but it's a backwards argument, we might as well have everyone being able to fly then.

You're differentiating between Genders, the very title and description of your own problem with this states you dislike the fact there are so many Female Leaders, as if there is some difference in capability between the two, an individual's own capabilities should be the reason behind their station not their reproductive organs.

To be annoyed by something so trivial is ridiculous, once again, get over yourself.

Excuse me, but calling "get over yourself" while raging about the OP being sexist, is well...

Get over yourself.

Of course there are differences in capabilities between males and females, not on a mental plane, but definetely on a physical, as already stated above.

A world where everyone was equal surely does sound great, but we have to be realistic. As Game Hermit said, women can't dunk. Just as men can't give birth.

I doubt George Lucas hates women.

I agree with the OP, it seems to me that forcibly putting women into any scenario just for the sake of gender equality is the worst form of sexism. I'd be able to relate to the story much more if we had less female characters in the game, not because I'm sexist, but because the real life armies of history and today are almost exclusively male.

I don't have an explanation for this, though I suspect it has something to do with males being built with a much larger capacity for physical distress, such as lifting heavy guns and stuff.

You might say that Star Wars is a fictional world, and as such real life norms to do not apply, but it's a backwards argument, we might as well have everyone being able to fly then.

Excuse me, but calling "get over yourself" while raging about the OP being sexist, is well...

Get over yourself.

Of course there are differences in capabilities between males and females, not on a mental plane, but definetely on a physical, as already stated above.

A world where everyone was equal surely does sound great, but we have to be realistic. As Game Hermit said, women can't dunk. Just as men can't give birth.

The Samurai, acknowledged as the greatest warriors ever seen ruled for nine hundred years and used women in combat regularly, some of the greatest archers and Naginata riders were women, some of the greatest warriors in Samurai history were women, you really want to debate Women in the military with a woman who was training as a Samurai for nearly her entire life till the age of twenty two?

Also, claiming strength has anything to do with how good you are in combat is nothing but an exercise in futility, Skill is what is required in combat, not strength, you can be as strong as you want but if you don't have the skill and knowledge to use that strength, i guarantee you'd find yourself on the floor crying after picking a fight with someone who does know their ****.

And as a matter of fact, if you bothered reading, you'd realise the OP IS being sexist, he's just trying to cover it up with some half-assed attempt at recognizing equality.

And hell just for the sake of it, Plenty of women have shown that they can be just as strong as men can be, it isn't that they lack the physical capabilities, its that most women seek beauty first and foremost, the will to be strong for men is a very different picture, they want to be strong.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

There are mental differences too. For one thing it's been proven that women are generally better at multitasking. Guys have a higher pain tolerance, except during labor when a woman's body produces chemicals that give her a superhuman pain tolerance. I can think of a few other examples too.

Edited by Game_Hermit

The Samurai, acknowledged as the greatest warriors ever seen ruled for nine hundred years and used women in combat regularly, some of the greatest archers and Naginata riders were women, some of the greatest warriors in Samurai history were women, you really want to debate Women in the military with a woman who was training as a Samurai for nearly her entire life till the age of twenty two?

Also, claiming strength has anything to do with how good you are in combat is nothing but an exercise in futility, Skill is what is required in combat, not strength, you can be as strong as you want but if you don't have the skill and knowledge to use that strength, i guarantee you'd find yourself on the floor crying after picking a fight with someone who does know their ****.

And as a matter of fact, if you bothered reading, you'd realise the OP IS being sexist, he's just trying to cover it up with some half-assed attempt at recognizing equality.

And hell just for the sake of it, Plenty of women have shown that they can be just as strong as men can be, it isn't that they lack the physical capabilities, its that most women seek beauty first and foremost, the will to be strong for men is a very different picture, they want to be strong.

But what was the male vs. female ratio of samurai? Massively in favor of the first.

Second paragraph is absurd, do I also have to explain why there are separate brackets for men and women in all sports??? Including fighting sports??????

In the human species men are considerably larger and bulkier than women, that's not sexism, it's biology, skill only gets you so far, especially in ancient times were armor and close combat weapons were used, being larger and stronger gives you an advantage in any hand to hand fight unarmed or with medieval weaponry, to claim otherwise is naive.

Edited by Malderak

I'm sorry, but if you took the strongest (physically) woman in the world she wouldn't even come close to the strongest man in the world...

But what was the male vs. female ratio of samurai? Massively in favor of the first.

Second paragraph is absurd, do I also have to explain why there are separate brackets for men and women in all sports??? Including fighting sports??????

In the human species men are considerably larger and bulkier than women, that's not sexism, it's biology, skill only gets you so far, especially in ancient times were armor and hand to hand weapons were used, being larger and stronger gives you an advantage in any hand to hand fight unarmed or with medieval weaponry, to claim otherwise is naive.

Actually, all those women at home with the kids, weren't maidens in distress, they were also trained to defend the house and village should the men be away, they were all Samurai, hence the reason why Samurai lived in their own villages, of course, the women weren't nearly as well trained as the men, as they had other things to perfect, but the point stands, the numerical difference is nowhere near as big as many make it out to be.

It is nothing like absurd, The reasoning for this is purely based on 'Men don't hit women' and because males generally feel uncomfortable when faced with a woman in almost all sports.

Now yes there are biological differences, but those differences do not inherently state women cannot in any way be as strong as men, that's a stereotype, it is down to the individual not the gender group, Are you claiming a very thin man is inherently superior in strength to a bulky female, purely because he is a man? now that would be absurd, You will find that in many countries, women and men are put together in tournaments purely because the differentiation isn't nearly as large as you'll find in many western societies.

I'm sorry, but if you took the strongest (physically) woman in the world she wouldn't even come close to the strongest man in the world...

If we are talking about known athletes then yes of course, That is simply because there are nowhere near as many women body builders in the world as there are men, the reasoning for this i have already stated beforehand.

No, he's right actually. Know what got me into martial arts? A friend bet me he could put me on the floor with one finger and won. Nailed me right in the solar plexus. My lungs clenched up and exhaled all my air and got stuck like that. I tried so hard for so long to breathe in that when my lungs finally moved I breathed too fast and coughed so hard I puked. That's the day I realized size is completely irrelevant. The next day is the day I signed up for classes with a former world champion and then Texas regional director of the ATA (American Taekwondo Association). His assistant teacher was a woman and I'd bet everything I own that she could take any 2 guys on this forum at the same time. That includes me.

Edited by Game_Hermit