[Petition] Buying individual pieces via Collections Menu

WillCaedes

Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.

If designing a GUI is kicking your *** I don't know what to tell you.

I can't imagine where you could find such a GUI. One that contains all the cartel market items categorized that maybe shows the items in a set once it is highlighted in a pane on the side?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were availible in different packs. Since it has been broken down to pack content, it would seem logical.

And this does not clog UI how? Yellow text says separate items would clog UI to the point of not loading. What does it have to do with the ways the items can be obtained? Or cheap items you cannot give away for free magically stop clogging UI?

Another side affect to this is if you have completed sets on companions. This only affects male toons with female companions. I have completed all 4 of the dancer/reveler outfits, but 2 of them are on my male scoundrel. I can't equip the items to get the unlock.

Also, if you have a complete set, but it is scattered between several toons, will you get credit for it? I haven't had a chance to test it, just curious if anyone has.

No, I asked that at about page 20 and I was told that it does not matter if you have them split over several characters, you have to have the complete set on one character or companion.

/signed

Also, I'm noticing that well over half the different color crystals I've gotten in cartel packs are not unlocked in the Collections interface. Same with all my preorder and promotional stuff.

The current workaround is to pull the crystal from the saber then replace. Yea, it's a pain, or you can wait until the fix it on the 32nd of the month.

And this does not clog UI how? Yellow text says separate items would clog UI to the point of not loading. What does it have to do with the ways the items can be obtained? Or cheap items you cannot give away for free magically stop clogging UI?

That wasn't the question I answered, so I don't know what to say to your comment.

/signed

/Signed

Patch notes:

Once an item or gear set has been acquired on a single character, the player can use Cartel Coins to unlock that item or gear set for all characters on the account, with the exception of level 15, 31, and 43 Adaptable gear and Cartel Reputation items.

spent all my CC i jsut bought on more box's for chances at cool stuff, now with very little left i goto transfer my skiff to all my toon... and it tells me it's gonna be that individual toon only..

Intentional false info, or just epic fail patch?

I did something similar. I spent a bunch on several packs and I was elated when I got a couple of the things I had really been wanting. Then the huge feeling of disappointment set in when I found out I could not unlock the items and that I needed to collect the whole set to share with my other characters. Was way bummed. :(

The simple fix is to create individual items with their own entity or ID and sell them separately. I have no idea how badly that would break collections interface though. I am sure there would be problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Did anyone notice that there may have been a change concerning the "set is distributed around several toons" issue?

I have the life day robes set with some pieces on one toon and some on another one, it did register in my collection a while ago.

I don't think it was fixed. If it had been there most likely would have been an announcement regarding that. Also, anyone who plans on griping about Necro'ing, sod off.

Well, as I mentioned before, add the armor sets to the achievements menu. This way, at the very least people can see the different pieces they have and what is missing.

Right now there is an achievement system set up for social gear. This framework could be used for the armor sets sold and acquired through the CM. Viola....a tracker we can use to see what we have unlocked.

/signed....a million times signed.

I've spent millions accumulating all of the different orange pieces for my characters. I was so excited to learn about unlocking them in collections, only to realize I needed the ENTIRE set to do it. I loathe most of the headpieces and never bothered to buy them before....naturally now those go for almost astronomical prices. I don't understand why you need every piece....but who knows.

I love the idea of putting the CM/pack gear into achievements!

Edited by blindxsecrets

Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.

I love the collections system even though I don't really use the CM much. Im glad on your decision. Please don't increase the load times, mine are already long and when you zone a lot its like staring at a wall for 15 minutes. My load times were not this bad at launch. I don't understand why they are so long now.

Of all things to not have as an individual collectible, Revan's Mask would be it. I'm glad they are reconsidering that one. Why people think they will sell for 8 million on the GTN is beyond me, especially now with the lack of reclamation capabilities VIA Collections.

So maybe someone else has pointed this out in the last 39 pages, but...

It's called Collections. So requiring you to collect the whole set doesn't seem wildly inappropriate. I've enjoyed finding that one rare piece of a set to unlock it.

It's called Collections. So requiring you to collect the whole set doesn't seem wildly inappropriate. I've enjoyed finding that one rare piece of a set to unlock it.

You do realize your name is CrazyMcGee?

It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

Okay it would mean more coding, because in order to keep it elegant you would need a sub-menu showing all pieces to pop-up before accessing to the "buy" menu wich will grant only one piece.

But increasing the data storing ? seriously ? Since the system has to look if you have all the pieces of the sets, he is looking for the same data that a piece-per-piece system need. The SAME.

Let's say that one set have five pieces which IDs are from 10001 to 10005. In order to keep track that you have the whole set, you need to have a file that will be store data like this :

{10001}=1
{10002}=0
{10003}=1
{10004}=0
{10005}=1

The set will be unlocked if the five values are 1.

But you don't need more for a piece-per-piece system. Instead for looking if all are "1", it will just look for each entry if it's "1". But in all cases you need a file that will keep track of all pieces. The only thing you need is an adapted menu/UI, not character data storage.

Cool story, whats preventing it from tracking the progress of one set on my account, on the same server, on different characters on said same server? Code limitations? Bad engine? Poor performance?

Maybe this has already been said in 39 pages but you guys are idiots. The collections function is in place for items that you equip and are BOUND to you. If you bought something with CC, then sold it on the GTN, why should you also be allowed to get a free unlock of that item? You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You either equip it, bind it, and allow yourself to add it to your "collections" or you sell it for profit on the GTN -- you can't have both.

• 4 weeks later...
The sheer amount of shock and anger I feel for Bioware right now.

Your telling me I need a full set of whatever items I already own to unlock it via collections? ***?

That's what Customer Service told me I had to do even though I own Revan's Mask on one of my toons. I could not unlock it and have a copy for a toon who has all of Revan's gear save the mask. They told me I had to have ALL pieces to unlock the entire set, not the individual pieces.

I've lost all faith in BioWare.

So in other words, you lied to us and used illegal bait and switch tactics. I'll be sure to contact the BBB on your business practices concerning the cartel market.

Maybe this has already been said in 39 pages but you guys are idiots. The collections function is in place for items that you equip and are BOUND to you. If you bought something with CC, then sold it on the GTN, why should you also be allowed to get a free unlock of that item? You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You either equip it, bind it, and allow yourself to add it to your "collections" or you sell it for profit on the GTN -- you can't have both.

Funny that you, who obviously did NOT read anything from the OP or the topic at all, replies with something quite unrelated and calls others idiots. Why don't you go back to page 1 and actually read what is the problem? No one complained about having to bind an item. The problem is having to bind a complete set in order to get it into collections instead of having every piece put there individually. D'oh.

• 1 month later...