Hood On/Off Toggle?

Morniel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I have a simple solution... probably should work. Please note that I have played a Sith Assassin, so the robes here have the Imperial look.

The Saber Marshal's Robe¹ (black and dark grey) and the Pleaded Shirt² (white and red) for example have the exact same mesh. The only difference is that one has the hood up, and the other has the hood down. They also have the exact same pattern, but with different colors.

If I would recolor the Pleaded Shirt to black an grey, it would look exactly like the Saber Marshal's Robe, but with the hood down. I could also recolor the Saber Marshal's Robe to make it look like the Pleaded Shirt, but with the hood up.

Today, items already are assigned two meshes. One for the Republic, and another for the Empire. You can see that when selling and item on the Hutt Trade Network. It essencially changes the look of the item completely.

Now If I also assign two meshes for each faction, I could have one mesh with the hood up, and one mesh with the hood down.

Someone in this topic had an idea. What if we could have an animation, triggered by a hotkey, just like the sitting animation is, in which the character pulled the hood up or down? I guess this would not be possible at a first analysis. When the hood is up, the hair mesh on the character is removed, as many people here have noticed. The transition between the presence of hair and absence of hair wouldn't be smoth. We would notice some issues sometime in the animation.

Now what if there is no animation, but just an exchange of meshes? There would be no clipping issues with the hair mesh and we could have a hood up/ hood down toggle.

There is a problem though. I haven't noticed a hood down version of the Black Talon Inquisitor Robes³ and any of the other "collar" robes. In this case, the hood toggle button could simply remove the hood completely, just so the hood toggle remains easy to implement, as the hood removal toggle is already present within the "Show Helmet" toggle.

If BW was really interested on fixing this issue though, they could build the models of the "collar" robes with the hood down from the existing models and everyone would be happy.

¹ Saber Marshal's Robe

http://www.torhead.com/item/2dOV9NB/saber-marshals-robe#screenshots

² Pleaded Shirt

http://www.torhead.com/item/hdYLP2G/pleated-shirt#screenshots

³ Black Talon Inquisitor's Robe

http://www.torhead.com/item/7zJKeIx/black-talon-inquisitors-robe#screenshots

PS: Wish you guys understood what I said =P

• 3 weeks later...
It's sad that we've no further information on this yet.

Perhaps someone else could ask about the hood toggle here? I've already asked my question there.

Greetings llesna!

We do have some updated information regarding this topic which can be found in the following blogs:

In our Community Blog for February 17, 2012:

NiklasWB: When will you make it possible for Force-using characters to pull up/down their hoods on their robes?

Damion Schubert: This is in the works now. It won't be in Game Update 1.2, but should get done in the next major update after that. And yes, we will extend this functionality to your Force-slinging companions as well.

In our Community Blog for April 20, 2012:

Keldain: Love the stuff for 1.2! I think you guys are doing a great job on addressing the issues of the community. Just one thing I would really like an update on: is there any movement on getting an option to toggle hoods on and off?

Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer): This is totally in the plan, but we are unsure at this time when it will get to you.

We hope this helps! :)

That last quote makes it sound like Hood Toggle might not make it into patch 1.3. That would make me very sad.

If hood toggle isn't going to be implemented soon, I hope they at least add some hood-down orange robes to tide us over. Maybe via legacy.

"totally in the plan" is not reassuring, and a far cry from the "we are working on it" that we would have liked.

They could have avoided having to do this entirely by simply adding some fraken hood-down robes in the first place....

At first i rolled my eyes at all the art-department hate, but as time goes by and we get armor as poor as the 1.2 armor, i really have to wonder what kind of oversight there is for the art direction. Whatever it is, its not enough.

Greetings llesna!

[snip]

I'm afraid that vague answers like that don't help in the slightest and don't count as more information, as I already knew about these.

Which patch are we expecting these in?

1.3? 1.4? 2.0? 10.0?!

Edited by llesna

Greetings llesna!

We do have some updated information regarding this topic which can be found in the following blogs:

In our Community Blog for February 17, 2012:

In our Community Blog for April 20, 2012:

Since they're talking bout hoods, how bout fixing the jedi robe "butt" issue as well? Come on man, these things are a no brainer!!

Stop being so vague Bioware! Don Draper isn't happy with your vagueness...

The outcry was sated simply because of the statement it would be in after 1.2. Which is fine. However now it's been shifted to "unsure when". I appreciate that things take time and there are (legitimately) more pressing issues in this game than a cosmetic issue with clothing, but when all the JK advertisement up to the game, in the beta, and even now on the splash pages for this site have hood-down Jedi you sort of seem to understand how iconic that look is and how frustrating this is. The butt issue needs fixing, I agree, but I'd rather my hair be visible than stop showing off my large wallet.

Even if you just introduced some reskinned sith robes with the hood down that are modable we'd be happy. But no... none of that. Oy!

SPOILER ALERT

The funny thing is most Jedi Knights you encountered in game do not wear hoods. When you gather your Jedi army on Corellia for the class quest (I paid attention to this), and none of your Jedi wear hoods.

So I don't get it. On one hand, someone in the art department seems to feel the hoodless Jedi is the typical look, yet, on the other hand, pretty much all Jedi armour (especially Guardian heavy armour) is hooded.

It is a sad fact that BW have SO much that needs to be developed and implemented (things that should have been in at launch), that this is just going to get pushed back and back.

There are many features that should have been included, many tried and tested MMO systems, but the lack of hoodless armour is an absolute joke... As many others have posted, Jedi Knights are plastered all over the official site, nonchalantly fighting off Sith with they're mullets out.. And yet as players we cannot. You go from 12-50 no longer seeing your character's head properly, all those cutscenes, all those dramatic moments with your hero obscured..

The whole issue in perspective is trifling.. But when you have a JK Guardian, it becomes a rather large annoyance.. Probably moreso than having a massive jedi arse...

Ironically I bet there are a few players out there that have forgotten what they're character's hair looks like...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping that this finds its way into the game sooner rather than later.

Only hoodless jedi guardian wear I have seen so far is the highly expensive legacy items, sold from the vendor on Coruscant.

With the latest patch this morning it would appear that a change has been made. If you have headgear on then the hood is dropped. If you remove the gear (at the loss of the headgear ratings) then the hood is back up. I still wish I could see a toggle applied but that is in the works as has been previously stated.

With the latest patch this morning it would appear that a change has been made. If you have headgear on then the hood is dropped. If you remove the gear (at the loss of the headgear ratings) then the hood is back up. I still wish I could see a toggle applied but that is in the works as has been previously stated.

It also puts the hood back up if you select 'hide headslot', so you don't need to loose your headslot for stats. It does hide the look, so if you liked the hood + headslot look, you can't recreate that in the current build. Also, the hoodless look appears to simply rip the hood off your robe, rather than have it in the hood down pose other chest pieces have.

So yeah, this feels more like a bug than the hood toggle I'd like to see.

(EDIT: Yes, in fact it is a bug! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=456086&highlight=hood )

Edited by gulegule
add bug link

well we know the possibilitie is their otherwise the bug wouldnt exist, i think they could work around this bug and implement a modded version of it into the game, im loving seeing my characters hair in his armor :D

Actually I think I might have this feature. If I don't hide my head slot the hood disappears. If I hide the hide slot it reappears. It's weird. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

its a bug but it works in my books ive heard alot of complaints about their not being the hood down on the robes, but is that really a bad thing? the point is the hood isnt their and i can see my characters face and hair again without wearing some god aweful helmet