Whatever you do, please don't add a LFG system

donkeykongjr

So I know a lot of people have been asking for a LFG system, but I implore BioArts to not incorporate one into the game. I still to this day believe the LFG system is what caused the downfall in the WOW community. Back before the LFG system was in place, everyone knew who the "ninjas" were on the server, guilds were large, and people played with and got to know each other. You did dungeons, raid, got attuned together, and now you log on for 2 hours a week to do your LFR run where you need on everything you can (because you can) and log off. All accountability has been lost in WOW, and I fear a similar system would have a similar outcome in this game too.

Please don't make the entire community suffer, due to the 10% who don't take initiative to be in active guilds, yet complain that they can't find anyone to do Flashpoints with.

To those of you who scream you need a button that puts you in a queue, you DO NOT! What you need an active guild and you won't even need to wait the 20 minutes the LFG system would take.

So I know a lot of people have been asking for a LFG system, but I implore BioArts to not incorporate one into the game. I still to this day believe the LFG system is what caused the downfall in the WOW community. Back before the LFG system was in place, everyone knew who the "ninjas" were on the server, guilds were large, and people played with and got to know each other. You did dungeons, raid, got attuned together, and now you log on for 2 hours a week to do your LFR run where you need on everything you can (because you can) and log off. All accountability has been lost in WOW, and I fear a similar system would have a similar outcome in this game too.

Please don't make the entire community suffer, due to the 10% who don't take initiative to be in active guilds, yet complain that they can't find anyone to do Flashpoints with.

To those of you who scream you need a button that puts you in a queue, you DO NOT! What you need an active guild and you won't even need to wait the 20 minutes the LFG system would take.

So why not have it so the LFG system just forms and ports the group to the NPC or terminal to get said quest. Afterwich if there is someone in the group you dont like you can vote to boot them. This requires 3 votes....

This way if i am on corellia and your on the station i can join ya and be warped to you and then we go into the mission like normal...

I have no wish to be part of a guild. Im enjoying the game quite fine with a friend of mine just levelling along. Maybe Ill join a guild at some later stage, but that shouldnt mean I cant do content now just because Im not ready to join a guild yet.

Why do people always have to be so shortsighted and not consider that there are actually people who play games completely differently to themselves? I actually enjoy playing with random people Ive just met in a group. That is how you meet new people....

Edited by Rock_Spider

"LFG system caused WoW's community downfall, vanilla was better!"

drop the rose tinted glasses, take another look at things, and tell me sitting around the fleet spamming general for hours is fun

Guilds should not be gateways to content.

this

Edited by Metaspark

"LFG system caused WoW's community downfall, vanilla was better!"

drop the rose tinted glasses, take another look at things, and tell me sitting around the fleet spamming general for hours is fun

this

Right, cause looking at the fact that it takes 2 weeks to go from level 1, to Heroic raids with everything handed to you along the way isn't looking through rose tinted glasses right? What do you do with a game that lasts 2 weeks? you play through it, and you quit because you didn't have any challenge and there is nothing left for you to do. What happens with a game that takes you 4 months, blood, sweat, and tears? you play it a lot longer and by then a content patch comes out, extending the game, or you play it over because it was challenging and exciting.

Right, cause looking at the fact that it takes 2 weeks to go from level 1, to Heroic raids with everything handed to you along the way isn't looking through rose tinted glasses right? What do you do with a game that lasts 2 weeks? you play through it, and you quit because you didn't have any challenge and there is nothing left for you to do. What happens with a game that takes you 4 months, blood, sweat, and tears? you play it a lot longer and by then a content patch comes out, extending the game, or you play it over because it was challenging and exciting.

I see both sides of this but what you are missing is that most people want to be able to enjoy the content and cant do it because there simply isnt enough people around as they are leveling to run the missions. Sure some people will take advantge of the tool and spam it to level but if thats how they want to play thier game let them. If you dont belive in using the tool, dont. I think most people will use it simply as a means to run the missions and quests they get while leveling. This isnt wow or any other game. This game plays more like a story driven rpg and most people dont want to ruin that story by leveling to 50 in 2 days. Instead they want to enjoy the story and use any tool that can help then see all the content.

On populated servers (not Heavy even, just standard) it usually takes me like, 20 minutes tops (while I'm doing something else inbetween) to find a group. But this LFG system would really help on really light servers (I just want a server transfer feature). Where I've literally not done a Heroics 4 in weeks because I cannot find anyone else to play. I shouldn't have to actively search for a guild to do this, plus I rarely like most of the people in the guild anyways, I like being able to just group up with people and add them if I liked questing with them, or just part our ways after a good mission. This is my first MMO, so I cannot compare my experiences to WoW.

Play on a server where sometimes you are the only one of 4 on a planet at certain hours (and the others are way up or below you in levels), then say that an LFG system would ruin it. I shouldn't have to organize with a guild in out-of-game content to be able to enjoy in-game content.

I've found that being flexible in WHAT FPs I'll do nets me more runs - at cap, I don't mind doing any HMs, and whilst levelling I'll do anything within a 5-6 level range of myself. It makes it a lot easier.

Being proactive isn't a bad idea either. E.g., whispering people at the fleet who have the LFG icon to see if they'll join your group. The worst they can say is no. I did similar in vanilla wow and didn't have too much difficulty getting groups together.

People are so used to seeing spam that it just isn't an effective way to form groups imho.

LFG system can be a good thing for server with low population. But if if they don't do it like WOW we will be okay. Here what they can do make it where it groups you up but won't instantly teleported you there. in conclusion LFG can be a good thing if they do it right.

Bioware i say you should release LFG when you cross server systems works.

LFG system can be a good thing for server with low population. But if if they don't do it like WOW we will be okay. Here what they can do make it where it groups you up but won't instantly teleported you there. in conclusion LFG can be a good thing if they do it right.

Bioware i say you should release LFG when you cross server systems works.

Announced this week, LFG system coming in Patch 1.3 that will be single server only.

Stated early in this thread.

sadly enough...the only way to see content is through guilds.

It's not really "sad". This is a multi-player game, it is meant to be played with others. The normal / story mode of operations is meant to be "PUGable".

We have several in our guild that are just hitting level 50, we have one night a week where we do normal operations to allow them to get in and see the content / get gear.

Last night we had to PUG a player. We cleared the operation in 2 hours, including having to go out and reset the operation once, and killing Soa when we were missing half of the floor during Phase 2.

Guilds are amazing and great to be in, and this game should support guilds more. MMOs should not be played by logging in, clicking a button, going to an operation / raid with people you don't know and then able to kill bosses with little to no coordination.

Why on earth would it make sense to anyone to not want a feature that others would find useful & helpful to their game experience, just because you used to walk uphill in the snow backwards carrying 240lb of coal to school every morning doesn't mean everyone else should have to go through that same experience.

If you don't like using a LFG tool, guess what, you don't have to, nobody is forcing you to, you can do it the hard way if that's what floats your boat.

Everquest had a good LFG system, not seen a better one yet.

sadly enough...the only way to see content is through guilds.

No, no it isn't.

My guild have basically all left the game but I continue on hoping they'll return in 1.2 & I've found plenty to do since & got into several raids ran by other guilds, as long as you are not acting the fool & get along with other players you can easily carve out a niche as the "backup" guy they call on, Have completed my operation weeklies every week without fail so far.

Guilds should not be gateways to content.

This. Literally all of my online friends live on the East coast. I'm in Arizona. The time difference is such that we have trouble linking up to enjoy our first love, which is PvP, let alone try and get the PvE stuff done. An LFG tool is a huge help when you're operating on off hours from most of the rest of the server. It also allows me to develop a second set of friends who are basically like me: playing at oddball times from the rest of the server for whatever reason.

Edited by RobNightfall

There is already a looking for group feature. It is normally not used by the player base. It is a bit different than I'm used to, and I wish it had more space for descriptions of what you're looking for, but it is there.

Now I stated what should be obvious, but I want to go on to say that I do not want a LFG/LFFP/LFOP/(LFD/LFR) x-server. No, not that, at all, no.

I can find a group for any flashpoint at any stage along the levelling process within 5 minutes.

Why? Because I take the time to type out friendly requests to players with capitalization, punctuation, and grammar asking them to kindly join my group if they would like.

Friends list is big and growing daily. Sometimes when I log on half a dozen people are asking me to group.

It doesn't take long to find a group if you put in minimal effort to ask (simply putting on the LFG tag doesn't count). I'm not even a social person.

If you are a DPS player, this method is much faster than any LFG system could hope to be. And due to the nature of socializing, it won't be like the WoW dungeon finder where you're always paired with psychopaths, since the people who would use an automated tool to find other players weren't having any success making contact with other players.

Doesn't sound like you've actually played wow and used the LFG to me. Not at all. The closest thing I've ever seen to a ninja is someone who needs something for the spec they're not doing the dungeon in, which isn't ninjaing and yet still incredibly rare. OK here we go again, more wow in this "swtor" forum. CAN'T ninja in wow. If an item can't be equipped by you a player CAN'T need on it. AND people are chasing the BADGES from the run to buy gear moreso than the loot itself.

Community suffering? I'd love to know firstly what sort of server you played on during BC that you got to know so many people but since LFG you don't, and why you're not making friends with people cross-server. And why it is if you made all these friends and had all these guildies you were running with pugs so often instead of queuing up with them. If you don't want to, why should I be deprived of the experience of not being able to meet/play with other swtor players simply because we're on different realms, especially when say, they're a tank and looking for a group, and no-one on their server is at that particular time, and I need a tank but can't find one on my server at that particular time who wants to do one.

Keep this crusade up. Keep trying to force Bioware's hand to keep this game a tiny niche game with only a cult following, devoid of any kind of feature any other MMO in this day has - even from launch and not only games made on a shoestring budget, but even free-to-play. Conversations about any sort of feature generally expected from MMO's when doing comparisons? Pretty much everything you can think of is all "SWTOR doesn't actually have anything like that" while you talk about other games and compare systems in-game. Which like it or not make the game more playable.

I get it. You don't like wow and you want swtor to be nothing like it. Well, see, here's the thing. It's still an MMO and therefore there will always be similarities. Just as there are with any MMO compared to another MMO.

And I'm sorry - use my initiative to join a guild? And then put so many barriers in front of me to be someone who a guild would consider?

Never mind. I don't even play anymore. I missed the rush at launch and now everyone that hasn't quit or taken a break until next patch is pvp'ing. Well OK that's not new - people will always do what they can. Hours and hours of spamming general and harrassing everyone on your friends list isn't fun when you can click a button and be taken into something which is actually playing the game.

And you know as well as I do these people screaming for "no LFG" or will only use manual invites are only doing it to screen people's gear before the run as while they might be geared just don't have the skill/ability to complete a dungeon with one person "only" adequately geared and not overgeared for it. You're not fooling anyone with this "it's about the community" scream. I've played MMO's for waaaaaaay to long and too much to know better.

So you played wow. You miss the days of Vanilla and TBC elitism where it was virtually impossible to get started in endgame. And you want that back. Elitism has it's place and it's in ops. NOT flashpoints.

Edited by Darnu