Bleeding - what kind of damage?

enteri

As in the subject. Is Bleeding considered a force damage?

Force is not a damage type. Force is an attack type.

Attack types: Melee, Range, Force, Tech

Damage types: Kinetic, Energy, Internal, Elemental

The bleeds that the Marauder has happen to all by Force attack, Internal damage. This is coincidence and convergent design, and not automatic.

For example, Force Crush, at one point, did Internal damage. Now it does Kinetic. Either way it was/is a Force attack type.

Melee and range attacks are "white" damage and use the weapon damage stat along with str->power. They can be dodged or parried.

Force and tech attacks are "yellow" damage and use Force Power or Tech Power as the damage stat along with str->power. They have a base 100% accuracy and can only be 'resisted'. They cannot be dodged or parried.

Edited by EasymodeX

Easymodex, thank you for the great reply. Let me refraze my question, to be more precise: If I take skill Malice from rage tree, which increases critical for force attacks, will it affect bleeding?

And a little off-top BTW. I have came across opinions that Berserk in Juyo Form gives 100% chance for critical. But in the skill description it is stated:

"Increases the critical chance of your bleed attacks by 100%".

Which, in my understanding means that it doubles the chance for the critical, not ensures it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Solid arguments appreciated ;)

Easymodex, thank you for the great reply. Let me refraze my question, to be more precise: If I take skill Malice from rage tree, which increases critical for force attacks, will it affect bleeding?

And a little off-top BTW. I have came across opinions that Berserk in Juyo Form gives 100% chance for critical. But in the skill description it is stated:

"Increases the critical chance of your bleed attacks by 100%".

Which, in my understanding means that it doubles the chance for the critical, not ensures it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Solid arguments appreciated ;)

Yes. All the yellow damage you see fly across your screen is Force damage. White numbers are weapon damage. A detailed list of all our abilities and what type they fall under can be found in the first post of my guide.

That is an additive percent, not multiplicative. In practice it adds 100% Crit to your bleeds. Because it only has 6 charges, your next 6 bleeds are a guaranteed Crit and will heal.

Edited by Kibaken

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I'd like to clear this up. I cannot be 100% sure that I know the truth but I am 99% sure. I will provide reasons why below.

The short version is, Bleeds from Rupture/Cauterize and Deadly Saber/Overload Saber are not Force attacks and therefore do not benefit from the effects of Insight.

The reasons for this:

Firstly and most importantly: I have sent a ticket to Bioware in game to ask this exact question and received a response that said the Bleeds/Burns are not Force attacks and are therefore not effected by Insight.

Despite this, people are still doubtful so I will explain further.

Preface: There is still a distinction between attack types and damage types but that is consistent with my explanation.

Lets break it down:

Cauterize/Rupture has two parts to it. A weapon damage hit and then an elemental dot.

The input, (i.e. the initial attack type a.k.a the actual strike) is a weapon attack. Therefore it is not a force attack, and therefore the attack itself is not effected by Insight.

The damage it does is 2-fold. Firstly, it does some weapon damage, but this also causes an elemental dot to be applied, which we see as the yellow damage. This is important as it shows us that despite seeing yellow damage on our screens, this does not mean the attack TYPE was necessarily a Force or Tech one. It is simply a reflection of the damage and not where the damage came from.

So it seems, in a relatively rare turn of events, that a weapon attack type has caused both weapon damage (the white) and elemental damage (the yellow).

Overload Saber/Deadly Saber is the same. It is not actually an attack, it is just a skill that allows for the application of a DoT that deals elemental damage. So how does this elemental DoT come about, and more specifically what is its source? Well it can only be obtained following a melee attack (which I understand/assume implies weapon damage).

Therefore we have the same situation as above, where a weapon attack has caused a DoT that deals elemental damage (yellow) to be applied.

The important part here is that it was a weapon attack type that caused the DoT (yellow damage) to be applied. Therefore it is safe to conclude that any effect on the critical chance of Force attacks (a la Insight) has no effect on this specific ability (the same applies for Cauterize/Rupture).

Finally, for the sake of completeness and anyone still getting their head around it.

If Insight worked in that it increased the % crit of all elemental damage or internal damage, then it WOULD be useful.

Additionally, we can contrast what I just said with a skill like Blade Storm which reads: "Uses the Force to project a wave of energy toward the target, dealing X kinetic damage". The Use of the force means that the attack type of BS is clearly a force attack, which causes (as specified) kinetic [yellow] damage. Insight applies for this ability.

Hopefully this clears it up for everyone.

You got bad info then. Malice (6% force crit chance) DOES effect both deadly saber DOT's and Rupture DOT's. Deadly Saber even counts as a "Force Attack" in-game. However deadly saber applies VIA melee skills that are white damage. *IF* melee attack was successful the yellow internal damage will follow-through. It crits just fine for me considering my melee crit is 18% when my force crit is around 30% take into account Juyo Mastery upp'ing the total of force crit chance by 3% per 1 stack of juyo for an extra 15% force crit chance that stacks with base chance AND malice. It works as intended.

You got bad info then. Malice (6% force crit chance) DOES effect both deadly saber DOT's and Rupture DOT's. Deadly Saber even counts as a "Force Attack" in-game. However deadly saber applies VIA melee skills that are white damage. *IF* melee attack was successful the yellow internal damage will follow-through. It crits just fine for me considering my melee crit is 18% when my force crit is around 30% take into account Juyo Mastery upp'ing the total of force crit chance by 3% per 1 stack of juyo for an extra 15% force crit chance that stacks with base chance AND malice. It works as intended.

I'm assuming you are posting in response to me.

You said DS counts as a "Force Attack" in-game. What is your evidence for that claim?

DS isn't an actual attack. It is a skill that creates the potential for internal/elemental damage to occur. That potential is triggered by weapon attacks. Therefore the only 'attack type' here is a weapon attack. The yellow internal/elemental damage that occurs as a result of the weapon attack is just that, damage. It is just 'output', and not a new 'input' attack type of its own.