PC Voice Actors, Male VS Female

Slowpokeking

I only played the Imperial characters.

IA and SI is clearly Female > Male, especially IA, Jo Wyatt's voice is great.

SW's male voice over is better, and the story also fit a male character much better. I thought BH would be the same case but Grey did really a good job, I think it's as good as the male voice over, and the story also fit female character well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like my male SI's voice. ;) The constant sneering goes well with his whole persona, I think. The female one is brilliant as well, though.

I really disagree about the SW! I adore my female SW - she's a... "large ham" (TV Tropes link.). Everything she says sounds so... grandiose. "I think it's time for a bloodbath!" "The Republic truly fears me!" :p She's fantastic. But I can see how that might not be everyone's cup of tea. The male voice sounded a bit too stereotypical for my liking.

I think I like both VA's for the IA equally. They both do a great job.

I wanted to roll a male Bh, but I don't much like his voice/the way he says his lines. He's not a bad voice actor, just not really how I would have liked him to be.

Republic side, I think I'd go with the female Smuggler voice over that of the male Smuggler. My Jedi Knight voice preference varies depending on the species of the character. The female voice sounds great on my human Sentinel. The male voice...it took ages (and most of the Cartel Market species unlocks) before I found a species and look that he sounded good with. When I finally settled on a Sith Pureblood for him, it fit so much more perfectly than any of my other attempts at making a male JK. With that combination, I think the male voice is better than the female.

I've only played a female Counselor so far, so I can't say anything about that. For Troopers, I vastly prefer the female voice. But considering who does that voice, it's not really a surprise.

Obviously this is highly subjective to personal taste. For me personally, I prefer:

IA - Male

BH - Female

SI - Female

SW - Male

Smuggler - Equal

Consular - don't like either

Knight - male (hate the female voice, but not in love with the male voice either)

Trooper - Equal

Actually, I'll admit that the male consular voice grew on me...after a very long time.

Edited by chuixupu

These are my preferences...

SW - Like both equally.

SI - Like both equally, maybe slightly prefer male.

IA - Male. His voice is the sexiness. lol.

BH - Female. Male voice sounds so cartoony to me.

JK - Female. Male voice is...odd to me for some reason.

JC - Like both equally, slightly prefer male perhaps. Female voice feels lifeless sometimes.

Smug - Male. Once I figured out the fem Smug's voice is Phil and Lil from the Rugrats, that's all I hear and think of now. =X

Trooper - Male. Female voice = fem Shep. All I can think of. =X

Highly subjective, obviously.

Empire:

Agent - Female. I've pretty much been in love with Jo Wyatt's voice since Dragon Age II. The British accent she uses while doing the agent is really nice, and I just love how during certain conversations in Chapter 2, she just switches between Imperial and Republic dialects on the fly.

Bounty Hunter - Equal. I haven't played the BH too much to form an opinion yet. I like them both.

Inquisitor - Male. Not that Xanthe Elbrick is bad, but some of her deliveries are somewhat more awkward than Euan Morton's. Doesn't mean either of them can be equally psychotic, and that's what I love about this class.

Warrior - Equal. Mark Bazeley and Natasha Little both do a great job in this, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go male a bit more. I've finished the story as a male and am currently replaying it as a female, so we'll see if I'll let Ms. Little's charms work on me as they do on Quinn.

Republic:

Knight - Female. I just like Kari Wahlgren too much to refuse her. I so far played the Knight story three times, twice as a female and once as a male. That is not to say that David Hayter is bad, but he does sound a bit too calm in my opinion at times.

Consular - Equal (None?). The Consular is pretty much the class I have neglected the most in my entire time playing this game. Both Nolan North and Athena Karkanis sound OK in their performances, but they simply lack depth from what I have seen so far. I'd probably go with male on this one.

Smuggler - Female. Kath Soucie just nails this so perfectly. All those snide, cocky comments she makes are what made me love the story so much. She's just boasting such confidence despite having no idea whatsover of what she's doing that it's just a joy to listen to her. I have a male Smuggler planned for a future playthrough, but what I've heard of Maury Sterling just seems to stereotypic in terms of performance.

Trooper - Female. Seriously, it's Jennifer Hale. How could anyone not pick her? Only thing I've heard so far of Brian Bloom's male Trooper performance that's better than Hale's is his "For the Republic!" cry. Hale only did that one well during the Trooper Trailer, but in-game it really lacks energy.

Edited by BenKatarn

What? I like her voice a lot.

opinions.

knight:strictly male,the female sounds like a 12 years old on her school crush

trooper:male,the female just doens't fit,such a role should be held by an strict man with leadership to sell

smuggler:meh,both,male's better tho.

consular:the female voice actor sounds like she has a cold,so male

warrior:male,the female sounds like a 60 years old.

inquisitor:fits a male better but i like the female voice actor too,a female would fit a light sided role. (i can't really imagine a lady being evil or sadic)

agent:male,i can't stand the female's voice,too much emotion for an imperial agent.

bounty hunter:both,i like both equally,the female is sexy and strong and the male is rough and cool.

There's a period of time on most of the options where I feel like I have to adjust to the way the character sounds.

All of the jedi take some getting used to, and I can see how femtrooper could might take some time - and most people think of femshepard there too. But after a while I don't really prefer either and they seem to work.

Some do seem to fit a little better and it also depends on what the player is going for. Guy smuggler sounds more quiet and laid back than spunky girl smuggler, though it still works mostly. Male Sith Warrior hit it out of the park with snarky smug arrogance - privileged upper class of a competitive warrior society - while the female Sith warrior is better for her over the top bloodthirst. Both IAs seem to be excellent, and the female IA sounds exactly like I expected. Bounty Hunter is okay for both, though I can understand thinking the gravelly voice of the male is a little much, though it's not as bothersome as, say, gravel voice in the new Batman movies.

I do like female inquisitor better than male. The male inquisitor just sounds kinda weaselly to me at the moment, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Edited by Bytemite

my preferences:

IA - male. female is close behind, but male is my main and I'm really used to it.

BH - male.

SW - male, don't like particularly any of them though.

SI - female.

smuggler - female.

trooper - female, close call.

JK - female.

JC - female.

IA - male, great work. Absolutely cannot stand female voice, poison to ears.

BH - female; found male voice rather annoying, but not as insufferable as IA female.

SW - both great, although I prefer female, since she's more hammy and thus more fitting the storyline.

SI - both great, prefer male, because he sounded sarcastic and eye-rolly all the time.

JK - female, although not by a wide margin, both rather unremarkable.

Smuggler - female; although a bit too bubbly and girly for my tastes, still better than non-descript male's voice.

Trooper - male, very much. Female sounded exactly like Shepard.

JC -both...zzzZZZzz...whut? Oh, sorry, dozed off on a keyboard for some reason.

My favourite voice acting in the whole game would be a NPC, though - Watcher X from IA's story. I didn't even recognize Nicholas Boulton until I googled "Who is the awesome actor who did Watcher X", despite having heard him voicing the PC in Dragon Age 2 and random (and usually haughty) Sith in SWTOR itself.

I dont know why everyone snoozes on consulars! ;)

Took a while to get it perfect, but the body type 4 miraluka just nailed it.

Full light, youre this beacon of serenity and thats what you sound like :)

OT

SW Male, although i would have prefered to have the BH male voice for my body type 3 marauder.

IA. Female. Phantom chestpiece and eradicator pants with dark make up. Combine it with the perfect voice to trick people into believing you and you got your perfect stealthy backstabbing but charming spy.

BH. Male> body type 3 full evil.

SI. Female. arrogant, snarky, pure evil, and when she says: Good, bring on the murder it just gets me :)

JK. Neither. Im a full dark body type 3 knight. Yet i sound like i just attended my first year of prep school.. Terrible.

JC. Male. The calmness its epic. The most believable force persuasion in game. The only person who could make this better would have been Liam Neeson.

Trooper: Male. No matter the voice, romancing jorgan would literally make me puke ;)

Havnt played smuggler.

Edited by Mekkanon

I dont know why everyone snoozes on consulars! ;)

Took a while to get it perfect, but the body type 4 miraluka just nailed it.

Full light, youre this beacon of serenity and thats what you sound like :)

OT

SW Male, although i would have prefered to have the BH male voice for my body type 3 marauder.

IA. Female. Phantom chestpiece and eradicator pants with dark make up. Combine it with the perfect voice to trick people into believing you and you got your perfect stealthy backstabbing but charming spy.

BH. Male> body type 3 full evil.

SI. Female. arrogant, snarky, pure evil, and when she says: Good, bring on the murder it just gets me :)

JK. Neither. Im a full dark body type 3 knight. Yet i sound like i just attended my first year of prep school.. Terrible.

JC. Male. The calmness its epic. The most believable force persuasion in game. The only person who could make this better would have been Liam Neeson.

Trooper: Male. No matter the voice, romancing jorgan would literally make me puke ;)

Havnt played smuggler.

I fully agree man, I have her too! :)

Edited by zzoorrzz

IA - Female. Jo Wyatt was great in DA2 and she's great here. Male isn't bad though, just very low-key, which fits the class I guess.

BH - I really like both but I'll give the slight edge to the male, it just fits a bounty hunter.

SW - Again, I like both but I'll give the edge to the female. Very sultry.

SI - Female, she has the perfect mix of sarcasm and craziness in the voice. It really gives you the impression that the character isn't all there.

JK - Female. I leveled a DS guardian to 50 and I'm currently leveling a LS sentinel and I noticed her voice rather comes alive during DS choices, it has the perfect amount of malice in it. The male voice put me to sleep, which is weird because it's Snake.

Smuggler - Female by far. Overall, I think it was the best set of voice-acting in the game. She delivered pretty much all of her lines with the right amount of snark you'd expect of the smuggler's character.

Trooper - Both. I love Jennifer Hale to bits but the male voice is growing on me as I level a commando.

JC - Female. I play mine LS with a bit of a snippy side and the female VA does that pretty well. The male voice is kinda just there.

Actually, I'll admit that the male consular voice grew on me...after a very long time.

After making the connection myself, I don't mind the male consular voice so much. After all, my Shadow is played by SUPERMAN.

As for myself, my picks are as follows:

Agent: Female.

BH: I like them both about the same, actually.

Warrior: male. I play Light, and I tend not to go for hammy in general. The Warrior's got a bit more subtlety in the performance

Inquisitor: female.

Knight: female. I dig Snake's voice. This may be Snake's voice actor, but it's not Snake's voice. And that voice wouldn't have fit anyway.

Consular: Both are all right. Neither is really great, I think. But that may be because I don't play traditional Jedi.

Smuggler: male. He's got the right amount of snark and suave in there.

Trooper: Female. It was the same in Mass Effect, too. Though I have to admit that Hale's voice works great with a body type 3 (which my commando is), whereas the male's doesn't. I think when I make my Vanguard, he'll be a BT2.

Edited by JacenHallis

Female. All of them.

I don't know what it is about BW games, but the female VO always, in every game, sounds more believable and more fitting to the things they are directed to say. I think it's because all the male VO always sound so fake-tough guy. Maybe it's because I grew up with actual tough guys and tough guys do not spout nonsense like what they are saying in games and the tone of voice just doesn't fit the script in so many places.

Voices like Talos, Doc, Quinn, Lokin, Guss and Gault are awesome but, for example, Scourge sounds completely out of place and just dumb. Vik has no personality whatsoever. Aric has the same tone of voice no matter what he says. Pierce is trying too hard and that BH dude, Torian? Ugh... just ugh.

They just sound so... B movie, you know?

E: I know this thread is about PC voices but I just wanted to point out that it's not just PC voices that sound out of place and weird but rather, that it's a constant with BW games.

Edited by Jandi

JC: Both are bad, really. I guess female? It's a choice between Nolan North sounding as stuck-up as possible or a lobotomy patient.

JK: Male by a hair. SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Trooper: Female by a hair. Sorry, Varric.

Smuggler: Male. Voice fits perfectly.

SW: Male. Female sounds too old.

BH: Female, male voice sounds like he gargles with nails and Gusano Rojo every 20 minutes.

IA: Tie. Bertie Carvel and Jo Wyatt are both amazing.

SI: Male.

Female. All of them.

I don't know what it is about BW games, but the female VO always, in every game, sounds more believable and more fitting to the things they are directed to say. I think it's because all the male VO always sound so fake-tough guy. Maybe it's because I grew up with actual tough guys and tough guys do not spout nonsense like what they are saying in games and the tone of voice just doesn't fit the script in so many places.

Voices like Talos, Doc, Quinn, Lokin, Guss and Gault are awesome but, for example, Scourge sounds completely out of place and just dumb. Vik has no personality whatsoever. Aric has the same tone of voice no matter what he says. Pierce is trying too hard and that BH dude, Torian? Ugh... just ugh.

They just sound so... B movie, you know?

E: I know this thread is about PC voices but I just wanted to point out that it's not just PC voices that sound out of place and weird but rather, that it's a constant with BW games.

Torian was voiced by Adam, the power ranger.

IA: Female personally. Male is good for the class as well, but i just prefer female c:

SW: Male i've seen cutscenes and he can be all like "RAWR, I fall to NO ONE!" While female seems to be a slightly quieter confidence without being all "RAWR" like. Female DS is confident yet quiet, taunting, calculating, and doesn't seem to waste energy raging at enemies she knows she can defeat without trouble. Male seems to be a normal Sith in the matter, releasing his anger at will. I think in this manner i prefer female. But this is based on what i've seen of DS in cutscenes. I've only done LS female, need to do DS.

SI: Female. Just preferred her sadistic voice over male c:

BH: Both equal i think.

Smuggler: Female again. Can't really explain most of my preferences like SW

JC: Neither really. I mean they're okay, but just not my cup of tea. I hate tea.

JK: Female fits my rp character well. And i just prefer it overall.

Trooper: Female. Seriously, Jennifer Hale was why my first character was a fem trooper.

So overall, female > male for me. Not to say the male voice actors are bad, i just prefer the female ones.

I like the male SI's voice.

I'm in love with the male IA's voice, but how he talks annoys me. Like, when there are meant to be pauses or breaks in sentences, he just skips past them and continues on and it just bugs me, I can't seem to ignore it.

Admittedly, I just started with that character, so could anyone tell me if that changes as I progress?