Nerf Smash/Sweep

KhalDrogoe

hahaha trying to avoid the nerf bat nice try troll

scoundrel/operative heals will be nerfed soon don't worry then you can come back to the forums crying and threatening to drop ya sub ect.

will wait to see your tears

I bet'cha the next nerf will be completely wrong, like nerfing vannies and underpowertechs again... And buffing sweep (yet again... :()

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Autocrit to everyone is the issue. If Mercs had a skill that was auto crit...

Why would it be an issue ? The auto-crit is to make the damage unavoidable and massive (I wouldn't call it massive by 2.0 standards).

Smash must stay to make sure there is a tiny bit of balance in this game.

The Autocrit to everyone is the issue. If Mercs had a skill that was auto crit...

All classes get 1 or 2 things they are really good at. Some tip the scales too much, for instance, Operative Healers.

Yeah the post 2.0 damage/health ratio compared to the pre 2.0 damage/health brings it in line with many other class crits after they saw buffs in 2.0. I play a gunnery commando, defense guardian, and focus sentinel and my commando has comparable burst to my sentinel.

Why would it be an issue ? The auto-crit is to make the damage unavoidable and massive (I wouldn't call it massive by 2.0 standards).

Smash must stay to make sure there is a tiny bit of balance in this game.

i Love how you ppl try hard to explain opnes of your class xD

I mean Smash is too powerfull, but maybe not in terms of numbers, but it's too easy to set it up, make this spec more difficult to play or smt?

Like the OP healers, nerf the non existant energy cost on their hot and things should be fine ;)

Edited by szczypaczek

i Love how you ppl try hard to explain opnes of your class xD

I mean Smash is too powerfull, but maybe not in terms of numbers, but it's too easy to set it up, make this spec more difficult to play or smt?

Like the OP healers, nerf the non existant energy cost on their hot and things should be fine ;)

I don't play smash, so try again!

Smash is required in this game, we need a hard hitting aoe.

"YOU" (and not you in specific) are asking for a nerf to smash. You need to come up with an answer to the question I asked earlier, how can you effectively counter the stacking strategy ? In order to nerf smash you need to create something new to stop the opposing team from employing that tactic.

Smash has a role to play, if you want to eliminate that role you must come up with a new one (within the boundaries of what's in the game already).

The problem is that you are not seeing further than your nose.

Edited by znihilist

Actually AP powertechs get an auto crit rail after a rocket punch - the kicker is that it only does about 5K with a 15 second CD on that spec. Not a merc, I know. But close.

I don't want to nerf every class into powertech uselessness.

I'd like to point to smash, and be able to say SEE DEVS? 8K AOE. FIX PT's NOW!

The alternative is a long stalemate in a cold kolto shower - all while trying to play whack-a-mole with healer operatives using rubber light sabers.

The real issue behind the Smash/Sweep specs is how damage modifiers stack and synergize.

For anyone who doesnt know how the spec works. After a leap of any sort, the next smash/sweep is an auto-crit. This means that people in the spec do not have to waste any effort stacking crit chance and instead can stack surge. Also when 3 stacks of the singularities build after using the exhaustion or combat focus, the next sweep is free and does an extra 100% damage.

The tree also has a talent that makes all abilities ignore 30% of armor and another talent that increases critical damage by 15%. This means the base surge for a smasher is already 65% before stacking any surge stats. If a player stacks enough surge they can get their crit damage boost to about 90%. Also with the pvp gear, there is an ability to get an extra 10% damage boost after a leap.

Essentially with everything lined up right, a smasher/sweeper can autocrit and do an extra 200% damage. The AoE aspect of the move is really not the issue and you cant change smash/sweep without changing the capabilities of the other specs. Furthermore the range is actually short, its only about 5m but with lag it can get out to about 10m.

The real problem is the stacking damage modifiers. If the singularity buff was decreased to only give a 75% damage increase, if the surge boost was removed, or if 30% armor pen was removed it would reduce the spike of smash/sweep spec a great deal. But currently with all of them working together its how you can see the 8-10k hits.

However, currently there is also the issue that healing is quite powerful and with a guard some healers become almost invincible. In those cases, smash spec is one of the most effective ways to kill the tank and healer pair.

If the devs really want to tackle the issue there are a few things they can adjust and some things dont even need to be adjusted all that much. The easiest fix is to adjust the amount of bonus damage the singularities offer. If they nerf the smash damage prepare for an increase in other damages to make up for the pure single target damage potential. The best solution would be to have exhaustion do slightly more damage or make a talent have a modifier that makes a base move like slash do more damage. They will need to keep the total damage potential the same while nerfing the spike associated with smash.

I don't play smash, so try again!

Smash is required in this game, we need a hard hitting aoe.

"YOU" (and not you in specific) are asking for a nerf to smash. You need to come up with an answer to the question I asked earlier, how can you effectively counter the stacking strategy ? In order to nerf smash you need to create something new to stop the opposing team from employing that tactic.

Smash has a role to play, if you want to eliminate that role you must come up with a new one (within the boundaries of what's in the game already).

The problem is that you are not seeing further than your nose.

Znihilist --> Got it right

I say --> Complaining about Smash is sooo pre 2.0 (And even then it wasn't warranted).

thx, we'll be closing this below,

/thread

Edited by Seengularity

You know what? I think there's not a single class in this game that needs a nerf. Nor smash sents/marauders nor operatives healers nor snipers. They're all very powerful, but they don't need a nerf at all. There are some classes/specs that could be buffed though, like Assault/AP Vanguards or healing Commandos/Mercs.. Edited by JeffSantos

You know what? I think there's not a single class in this game that needs a nerf. Nor smash sents/marauders nor operatives healers nor snipers. They're all very powerful, but they don't need a nerf at all. There are some classes/specs that could be buffed though, like Assault/AP Vanguards or healing Commandos/Mercs..

Yeah I remember when everyone was screaming for Merc Nerfs, then all the mercs had to go healing, then everyone was screaming that merc heals were OP, then they were nerfed. It'd be sad if another class had to wait a year before they became playable again like mercs did. Even now Arsenal is only on the verge of being rated viable, still need some buffs to get them on par with Juggs/Ops/Sorcs/Assassins

Yeah I remember when everyone was screaming for Merc Nerfs, then all the mercs had to go healing, then everyone was screaming that merc heals were OP, then they were nerfed. It'd be sad if another class had to wait a year before they became playable again like mercs did. Even now Arsenal is only on the verge of being rated viable, still need some buffs to get them on par with Juggs/Ops/Sorcs/Assassins

Operative DPS took a year to be decent. Now it's good.

this game and this community has a grudge against mercs and operatives.

Which, when you think about it, are the tech users. That's how you know this is truly a star wars game.

Lol at those saying smash/sweep doesn't need a nerf. I guarantee that you either use it yourself or you run ranked with multiple smashers.

The tree takes no skill at all and all these so called 'Pro' PvPers use the smash/sweep spec because it's so OP.

It needs a nerf, end of.

smash monkey smash hit me for over 8k

my vigilance sweep hit back for 2.5k crit

now that 1 smash monkey hits 8k on my full conqureor gear, armor rating, damage reduction so what happens when it hits 5 light-medium armor chars hit over 8k on each of them

I think the Rage tree does need another look at it. On my Juggernaut I wreck most people, they go down fast, ridiculously fast. A tanky class shouldn't be out damaging their DPS advanced class counterpart while still taking more damage. xD

Scoundrels and Ops healing needs a nerf, and that blasted roll. Powertechs need a buff on the central skill tree, not sure why that got ruined the way it did...

Hmm what else... I guess the Engineer tree on Snipers is kinda sucky give that a buff while you're at it. :p

Errr, they did nerf Smash. If you played Juggernaut, you would know. It is completely different from 1.4. I came back only to realize that they had completely rectalized my rotation (e.g. Force Choke doesn't grant Shockwaves anymore), they removed one stack of Shockwave (-25% damage per Shockwave back then, wasn't it? And now it's 11.11% per stack), lowered my critical damage from 30% to 15%, and made it impossible to get Shockwaves while in Soresu Form.

What more do you want? Not that I play Rage specc anymore, so it's not like I'm complaining about your complaining, I just find your complaint rather amusing, considering that the very premise of your argument is 100% incorrect.

The real problem is the stacking damage modifiers. If the singularity buff was decreased to only give a 75% damage increase, if the surge boost was removed, or if 30% armor pen was removed it would reduce the spike of smash/sweep spec a great deal. But currently with all of them working together its how you can see the 8-10k hits.

Let me repeat this one more time, ok ? Follow me through this: IT IS SUPPOSED TO HIT THAT HARD

Lol at those saying smash/sweep doesn't need a nerf. I guarantee that you either use it yourself or you run ranked with multiple smashers.

The tree takes no skill at all and all these so called 'Pro' PvPers use the smash/sweep spec because it's so OP.

It needs a nerf, end of.

Neither do I run it, or run ranked with multiple smashers in ranked, so try again please.

I will take you seriously (as someone who have legitimate concern about a spec) when you answer some of the questions I raised earlier in the same thread. Your "tears" are not going to break the balance of this game. Come back with something more realistic and belongs to same reality we exist in to why this spec needs nerfing.

Znihilist --> Got it right

snip

I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not!

Edited by znihilist

Smash was nerfed. If you don't agree then I'd be more than happy to go back to pre 2.0 smash with the new influx of health and power output hitting level 55.

14K smashes here we come! YAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!

for emphasis

• 2 months later...
Rage/Focus is not overpowered. It is the only dps class currently that can output anywhere near a healing subclass. Rather all the other dps classes are underpowered.

The sad part is that this is actually true, as much as I hate smashers.

Any good healer can heal through DPS 1v1 easilily, and no, it's not ok.

If healing = DPS, healers have advantage. You cannot LOS your own heals. So, even if you are focused, you will do healing 100% of the time, but DPS won't do maximum amount of DPS 100% of the time. The situation is even more unbalanced since op/scoundrel heals can heal themselves AND keep them nice HoTs on their teammates.

There shouldn't be healer only classes. They should close the gap between the trinity, so that DPS is something that ALL roles have to do somewhat. That's just my opinion though. But heals being overpowered is a fact.

I was like the OP ultil I specced my guardian tank to Focus. Now I see that yes, Focus specced guardians (or sentinels) are a nice class to play and you can see big numbers with low effort...but I noticed that almost every class can take 0 damage when one smasher leaps to them.

Shadows can use that force attacks inmunity-stun-speed-vanish, Commandos have their aoe push-cryonade-hold the line, Sorcs can stun you-bubble themselves-forcespeed, Snipers...you can't leap a good sniper!, Operatives vanishes in your face....the only class I can smash knowing my smash will hit them are the vanguards/powertech and only if they have the cryonade in CD

I think that the problem is not with the class...is with the stupid ammount of Smashers in every WZ. Each 5 seconds some smasher leaps you and BLAM 8k.

Edited by Royox