What some don't understand about Neutrality.

Latorn

Here are two quests on Korriban that got me puzzled.

In the first quest Jailbreak, Inquisitor Urinth has asked you to free the captured jedi whose mind has imprinted with false information so he can deliver them to the jedi council. If you follow orders and do the quest(and set the jedi free without warning him) you will get dark side points for helping the Empire in the war against the jedi.

Second quest that you get soon after this one, Creeping Hunger, you meet hungry creature called Seh-run, and you are asked by Overseer Pritho to kill the beast since it is is feeding on the remains of the force sensiteve failed acolytes, and is afraid that it will turn on the Sith when it gets stronger, and realise that its food are actually Sith. In this case if you help the Empire by killing the beast who is eating the force sensitive you are given light side point, as oposed to feeing it and (probablly) turning it against the Empire where you get dark side pont.

Helping the Empire in both quests results in different alignmet points...

Edited by NikPer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Going neutral' makes zero logical sense on a decision by decision basis in any possible scenario in this game. The system is too simple to represent the kind of alignment you are trying for, and doing a mix of good and evil is actually evil in the greater scheme of things.

For example, if you want to be neutral, and you decide to kill some puppies and balance it with helping puppies at a later time, you are actually still evil because you killed puppies. The situations where there is a good reason to kill someone in one set of circumstances and save them in another simply aren't there in the available options because intent doesn't really matter.

The only reason for someone to end up neutral is because they are actively balancing their alignment externally from the decisions they are selecting. I'd love a more complex system that hid the alignment altogether (and removed alignment gear but NPCs responded to you based on your actions, such as making gear available due to reputation). That isn't in this game, and the players who are trying to be neutral are trying to force an ideal that doesn't fit into the alignment system.

There does need to be more gear without alignment restrictions that are equal to the alignment gear, don't get me wrong. I'm saying the 'problem' exists because players don't understand that they are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

The thinking on this is far to extreme, it's not a +/- issue or do this to balance this. It's a What would you do in this instance.... Would I assasinate a bag of defensless kittens to save a family, you betcha... I'd throw them in a blender and make a tabby shake! Neutral is more like the lesser of two evils or what serves my best interest at the moment, sort of like Voteing.

Here are two quests on Korriban that got me puzzled.

In the first quest Jailbreak, Inquisitor Urinth has asked you to free the captured jedi whose mind has imprinted with false information so he can deliver them to the jedi council. If you follow orders and do the quest(and set the jedi free without warning him) you will get dark side points for helping the Empire in the war against the jedi.

Second quest that you get soon after this one, Creeping Hunger, you meet hungry creature called Seh-run, and you are asked by Overseer Pritho to kill the beast since it is is feeding on the remains of the force sensiteve failed acolytes, and is afraid that it will turn on the Sith when it gets stronger, and realise that its food are actually Sith. In this case if you help the Empire by killing the beast who is eating the force sensitive you are given light side point, as oposed to feeing it and (probablly) turning it against the Empire where you get dark side pont.

Helping the Empire in both quests results in different alignmet points...

In essence, the first example is undermining the Jedi, the Light Side organization. Hence, dark side.

The second is killing the beast so that it will not attack acolytes. You defend the acolytes, which is light side, dark side is to let the beat kill the acolytes, reducing the number of potential future enemies.

If they don't:

A lot of people not getting relics = gimped characters = people quitting game or rerolling and choosing light or dark choice every time = loss of subscription + loss of games unique feature.

i am neutral, i have relics....just not from the alignment vendors.

This really isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. It's not as if there is no way to gain alignment very quickly. I have played an IA up to 30+ and have only barely hit Light I because I make my own choices based on what I feel is right., but if it were really a concern to me I could easily grind Light Side points in Black Talon without any thought.

Black Talon gives around 200 LS/DS points. Even if you started at absolute 0 on the scale you could make it in 50 runs. Since relics really aren't that big a deal before 50 (I leveled a JK to 50 without them easily) by the time you would even need to consider this "problem" you can do a BT run in 15 minutes tops. Yes, that means it would take a whole 12 and a half hours to max out one side or the other from 0. And that's only if your so very, very concerned about getting the absolute best relics, which honestly are not that big of a deal.

Now personally, I don't think it would be a terrible thing if they added neutral gear, but that doesn't solve the "issue" whatsoever. In that case do I have to make sure my score is less than 1000 either way? I still have to choose not to go too far light or dark. It still "limits my choices". And in the end I would need to grind one way or another if I want to choose based on my character.

• 8 months later...
one year later and still no neutral relics for us... *** is going on.. do bioware want people to play their game.. need to start listen to your customers.. jeeez

There are neutral relics, but they are endgame. None while levelling pretty much.

I just dont like that there is an ingame reason to pick one of the other alignment, but not to remain neutral. I always dislike it if I'm being pushed to do something, instead of it being a free choice.

Edited by Karkais

can agree here, although my warrior is still dark but does pick a few lightside options.

He is evil but has honor as I like to put it. He doesn't go needlessly murdering everytime. Though it depends on the situation.

Same for my Sorc except he is mostly lightside.

Some of the darkside options are just plain stupid, why kill someone who will be more useful alive.

I agree to an extent... but frankly, alignment gear is an afterthought in this game. At 50, none of it is worth keeping. Even the relics are worthless, since the Champion ones you get for free from the PvP quest are better (and for several AC's, close to best-in-slot).

The alignment system is flawed, but it's largely inconsequential as well. Much like Legacy, it just needs a revamp. I think one nice thing would be the ability to buy "swaps" for your ability based on alignment (for instance, DS Consulars could buy a perk that lets them make their Telekinetic abilities look like lightning instead, and LS Inqs could do the opposite. Same with Knights and Statis/Force Choke).

I think one nice thing would be the ability to buy "swaps" for your ability based on alignment (for instance, DS Consulars could buy a perk that lets them make their Telekinetic abilities look like lightning instead, and LS Inqs could do the opposite. Same with Knights and Statis/Force Choke).

I like this idea.

Getting back on topic....

I recently leveled a "neutral" character and while I was not able to acquire relics due to the alignment restrictions, I did not feel "gimped". Yes, I'm sure my character would have been that much better if he had had relics equipped, but how much better REALLY? Up until level 36 LS/DS III relics only provide endurance and either alacrity or crit&surge on a CD. And even then only a handful offer a +power bonus after that (and all of those provide tanking stats on a CD). It is only once you hit level 50 that the CD part of the relics start to matter.

I am just saying that not having relics while leveling is not as bad as some make it out to be.