Not becoming a mandalorian

SpacemanR

In my bounty hunter story, I'm almost up to the part where I can choose whether or not to become a mandalorian and I would please like to know if refusing to become one affects your storyline a lot? I read somewhere that if you become one, you get an extra companion, so do you not get that companion if you don't become one? Also, would anything else get affected?

For all class stories, you will get all companions regardless of your choices.

Becoming a Mandalorian does not affect the plot in any major way, however there are additional flavor lines scattered throughout if you do choose to be one.

Torian is the Mandalorian companion, he seems to have a lot of input about "Mandos" so I can only assume he will react differently if you aren't one.

Be warned that the only way to not become a Mandalorian is to directly insult Mandalore to his face - this was so out-of-character for both my Bounty Hunters that even if I didn't want to become a Mandalorian I would have chosen to become one rather than look like an idiot. Seriously, who insults Mandalore to his face? (And it makes even less sense that you are able to get away with it)

Edited by Jenzali

Becoming a Mandalorian does not affect the plot in any major way, however there are additional flavor lines scattered throughout if you do choose to be one.

Torian is the Mandalorian companion, he seems to have a lot of input about "Mandos" so I can only assume he will react differently if you aren't one.

Be warned that the only way to not become a Mandalorian is to directly insult Mandalore to his face - this was so out-of-character for both my Bounty Hunters that even if I didn't want to become a Mandalorian I would have chosen to become one rather than look like an idiot. Seriously, who insults Mandalore to his face? (And it makes even less sense that you are able to get away with it)

So, if I choose not to become one, I will miss out on additional flavor lines? Would you explain what that means please?

Also, so it's just good to become one and not insult him? however, aren't Mandalorians kind of seen in a negative light?

I think there's a big difference in how Mandolorians are seen in the EU/KOTOR and how they are seen for the purposes of this game.

Bounty Hunter Class Ch 2 Spoilers. You have been warned.

From what I recall (and it's been a while), when you meet Mandalore the Vindicated after you are declared Grand Champion, he basically tells you that the errand he sent you on was your ritual blooding, and you are a Mandalorian in spirit whether you like it or not. However, he personally invites you into his clan. That is a BIG deal, btw.

I realize there is an option to tell him to eff off. For continuity purposes, I just don't see the upside of doing that. Besides, since he pretty much implied you are Mandolorian anyway, that's what you are as far as the Mandolorians are concerned.

With the Galaxy at war and you being a mercenary hunting down both Jedi and Sith at times, it makes sense that if for no other reason for protection purposes, you have a people behind you. You mostly work for the Empire, but as far as I know The Bounty Hunter is not an official Imperial citizen. But as a Mando, for the moment, you are the Empire's ally, since it seems Mandalore the Vindicated has pretty much co-signed onto the Empire to settle his own scores with the Republic.

Besides, as a Hunter, you pretty much don't care what other people think; as a Mandolorian, less people will consider messing with you when you tell them you don't care what they think.

There is a sh*t-ton of Mandolorian lore out there, especially in the EU, and I know very little of it. I believe there ~may~ be Old Republic comics out there that get into Mandalore the Vindicated on a deeper level. Don't quote me though. But to answer your question, I would go Mandolorian, every time. Just IMHO.

so, in answer to my question about missing something if I don't become one, would I miss out on anything important or not? I really don't want to miss anything in my story just because I made one decision only to find out later that if I had made that decision, i wouldn't have missed it.

I rejected mandalore not interested in joining his group aftewards the other great hunt winners called me ****** for doing it and they said it was good I did not kiss up to him like everyone else does and they gave me the black list stuff. :D

Oh and you just get a few line changes with a certain npc in chapter 3.

so, if I reject his offer and I tell him to "stuff it" I will miss those "flavor" lines, but if I understand, those lines don't really matter that much, right?

Exactly. BTW and minimal spoilers for Makeb, concerning the Bounty Hunter...

If you joined the Mandalorians at the request of Mandalore himself, Darth Marr will call you Mandalorian. If you didn't, he'll refer to you as Bounty Hunter. It was a nice touch. ;)

okay I get it's not a big change not to become a mandalorian, but I think I read somewhere in this thread that if you become one, people will respect you a little more if you were to "mouth off" to them or tell them that what they are saying isn't really important, but if you don't, they will care and try to "scare" you into why you are wrong, according to how they see things.

Oh and you just get a few line changes with a certain npc in chapter 3.

As I said, it doesn't majorly change your story, but there are more NPCs than you think that actually recognize that you are a Mandalorian and will give very interesting/unique comments about it. It isn't only limited to class quests, there are quite a few planet-quest and side-quest NPCs that will recognize you and comment on it.

I know this because I try every conversation branch for every cutscene, so you may have to go digging for it. One of my favorite examples was the Jedi on Corellia who reveals that he is called "Verda Jédii" by Mandalorians, and you have an opportunity to comment on what a true Mandalorian would do. He doesn't reveal that name otherwise. The Voss negotiations are also spiced up a lot because they will recognize your people's penchant for warfare.

So no, you aren't really missing that much unless you are really interested in details like this.

Wow, I'm just glad it doesn't change the story. I guess the reason I thought that something might be changed is because I was watching a bounty hunter video about someone who made their bounty hunter a mandalorian and Mandalore said something about running an errand for the Sith and that got me nervous.

okay, thank you everyone for being so helpful. So, just for review

Becoming Mandalorian

(A) You are given a blacklist with extra missions

(B) You are called Mandalorian instead of just Bounty hunter

© You are now put into a "group" instead of being your own boss

(D) The lady at the end doesn't give you anything (See below to understand)

(E) Mandalore doesn't yell at you.

(F) Your Mandalorian companion talks to you, sometimes speaking in the language of the mandos.

Refusing to become Mandalorian

(A) Mandalore yells at you

(B) the lady, who I mentioned above, gives you something in addition to you still getting the blacklist bounty

© You are simply referred to as bounty hunter

(D) You don't join a group and can be your own man or woman (For female bounty hunters)

(E) Your companion had different lines

(A) You are given a blacklist with extra missions

No, you get the same missions regardless. The Blacklist is the main story of Act 2 and is available to both Mandalorians and non-Mandalorians. Note that the first target in the blacklist is related to your Mandalorian companion so (imo) you are missing a lot of context if you aren't Mando.

(B) You are called Mandalorian instead of just Bounty hunter

Some NPCs, but not all.

© You are now put into a "group" instead of being your own boss

No, it's the same either way. The Bounty Hunter is their own boss until act 3. They say that you're "part of a group" but it doesn't matter because there is a plot twist.

(D) The lady at the end doesn't give you anything (See below to understand)

There is no lady at the end. I don't recall any lady "giving" anything either. If you mean romance, I wouldn't know because I didn't romance anyone. Also there are no female Mandalorian NPCs that you meet in the class storyline that I can remember.

(E) Mandalore doesn't yell at you.

Correct.

(F) Your Mandalorian companion talks to you, sometimes speaking in the language of the mandos.

Correct, I don't believe he will try to teach you the language or the Resol'nare if you aren't.

As I said it's mostly just flavor dialogue and lore background if you are interested in that. The storyline remains the same, and kudos to the writers for making the story amazing regardless of which path you take. You can be an honorable Mandalorian, a bloodthirsty killer, a "do anything for credits" mercenary, or anything in between and there are almost always choices and dialogue options that fit well with these character types.

Also, in general Gault and Skadge will get massive negative affection for most Mando-like choices while Mako and Torian and Blizz will like everything you do. This isn't a big enough deal to warrant changing your story but as a Mando I think I got -3000 affection with Skadge at the last mission and had to buy him a whole bunch of gifts again...

Edited by Jenzali

Correct, I don't believe he will try to teach you the language or the Resol'nare if you aren't.

As I said it's mostly just flavor dialogue and lore background if you are interested in that. The storyline remains the same, and kudos to the writers for making the story amazing regardless of which path you take. You can be an honorable Mandalorian, a bloodthirsty killer, a "do anything for credits" mercenary, or anything in between and there are almost always choices and dialogue options that fit well with these character types.

Also, in general Gault and Skadge will get massive negative affection for most Mando-like choices while Mako and Torian and Blizz will like everything you do. This isn't a big enough deal to warrant changing your story but as a Mando I think I got -3000 affection with Skadge at the last mission and had to buy him a whole bunch of gifts again...

I told Mandalore to shove it because I had no interest in being a Klingon- I mean Mandalorian. Torian still spoke plenty of Mando`a to me and I do believe he tried to teach me at least some of the Mandalorian traditions, though it's been a year so I may be mistaken.

To reiterate what others have said, becoming a Mandalorian or not really doesn't change anything in regard to the storyline. You still do all of the same things, it's just that when you're talking to people you may say slightly different things to them or they may tell you a little more background info or things of that nature. To the best of my knowledge you will not miss out on any events whatsoever. I'm pretty sure females can even romance Torian if you're not a Mandalorian, he'll just try to convert you a lot.

As for affection, with the changes they made in 2.0 you won't get such large hits anymore, positive or negative. You'll still lose a lot of points with Skadge if you act honorably, but it shouldn't be possible to lose anywhere near 3k in one mission anymore. And besides, Skadge is a lump of poo who shouldn't be on my ship in the first place, so who cares what he thinks. :p

No, you get the same missions regardless. The Blacklist is the main story of Act 2 and is available to both Mandalorians and non-Mandalorians. Note that the first target in the blacklist is related to your Mandalorian companion so (imo) you are missing a lot of context if you aren't Mando.

Some NPCs, but not all.

No, it's the same either way. The Bounty Hunter is their own boss until act 3. They say that you're "part of a group" but it doesn't matter because there is a plot twist.

There is no lady at the end. I don't recall any lady "giving" anything either. If you mean romance, I wouldn't know because I didn't romance anyone. Also there are no female Mandalorian NPCs that you meet in the class storyline that I can remember.

Correct.

Yes there was a lady who gives you while also telling you that you made the trip worth her time. That's the lady who I am talking about.

• 2 years later...
I know this is an old post, but still there people out there wondering the same. Not much change story/benefits wise if you chose not to accept Mandalore offer. Remember what he is asking from you is not related to the Black List. He wants you to take his place as the Mandalorian on the group, and keep the tradition of having a Mandalorian among that group.

• 4 years later...

First time him was on a Cathar, and he's still salty about the attempted genocide, so he told the Mand'alore to shove it.