Loot Toggle and Gear Drops

EricMusco

It does not appear that getting a generic 'tank' or 'healing' set item, or even getting a set item that benefits a different discipline / roll than the one played or selected for loot, is considered a bug.

Common sense would suggest that players would consider that a bug. If it's working as intended then BioWare may want to rethink that loot table design and refine it a bit more. Just because something is usable on a class, doesn't mean you would use it, all it does is dilute the loot table and create player frustration.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common sense would suggest that players would consider that a bug. If it's working as intended then BioWare may want to rethink that loot table design and refine it a bit more. Just because something is usable on a class, doesn't mean you would use it, all it does is dilute the loot table and create player frustration.

I totally agree.

But read Eric's post, he specifically sites as an example that a set piece tagged as Inquisitor / Sorcerer and which is clearly designed to benefit the healing discipline may in fact drop for any Inquisitor / Sorcerer because the game only recognizes (as in coded that way) sets as being specific to a class, not to a specific discipline.

So anyone expecting a change based on Eric's comment needs to go re-read, and post along the lines of what you posted (and I and others have posted in other threads) that getting set items clearly designed for spec A while in spec B is not good game design (doubly so when the specs are for totally different roles), and again as you say and others including myself have said in other threads, just serves to frustrate and tick off players.

Edited by DawnAskham

Ok I re-read what Eric said.

Set Bonuses and Tacticals – These are quite a bit more simple than stats as these should always drop for your current character and should always drop items usable in that spec.

That is where it should stop, as that makes sense. It definitely should always drop items usable in that spec. But then Eric said this:

Keep in mind that usable by your spec means base class and general sets also. Ex: You are a madness sorc, it is intended that the system could drop an Inquisitor set for you (even if that specific set may seem more useful for a healer, it is a base class set usable by all Inquisitors)

Usable by your spec SHOULD NOT MEAN BASE CLASS. Like what the hell?? That makes no sense. At the very least, it should mean advanced class... but really it should be changed from "usable by your spec" to "USEFUL for your spec". Big difference between those two words.

"That specific set may seem more useful for a healer"?!? So an Assassin can get a Sorc set as a drop, as intended apparently, and it may seem more useful for a Sorc? It buffs abilities that only a Sorc has, specifically madness Sorc abilities, and it may seem more useful for a Sorc? To me that seems quite useless for an Assassin.

So what is the point of this thread? Clearly the loot toggle means absolutely nothing since apparently it's intended that you can get drops that aren't even for your advanced class from personal loot like various crates.

Are there instances of people getting personal loot drops for a different class altogether? If not, then apparently there is no bug. Why are so many people complaining then? Because of bad design. Spec specific set drops aren't very common, so they should at least be useful for that character, either for their spec or for the spec they have selected in the loot toggle.

Sample #2

• Your class role and spec?
    • Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Arsenal

[*]Your toggled role (if different)?

• Same As Spec

[*]Current item rating?

• 306> My iRating >270

[*]Where did you receive the item?

• Conquest Crates AND renown crates, both all as below

[*]Exactly what item did you receive?

• Out of Band loots: Bolblaster's Generator (something only powertechs have the ability to equip) "Tech Medic" set pieces.... tons of them
    • In Band Loots: "Hunter Killer", just a few
    • absolutely nothing specific to Arsenal, ever.

Edited by Void_Singer

- Class: Scoundrel

- Role:: Heal

- Rule: current discipline

- Place of acquisition: some MM FP

- Item rating: at that time ~300

- Loot Authority bracelets

- 306 Tank Armor, 304 Tank Modification

Was there anyone else with you? and what were their class/role/spec? and the 2 tank pieces, were they personal loot or shared loot?

If you are receiving an off-spec item based on the information above, that is likely a bug. With that in mind, here is the information I need to help the team investigate the issue:

• Your toggled role (if different)?
  • Current item rating?
  • Where did you receive the item?
  • Exactly what item did you receive?

Please be as specific as possible when providing the above details and thank you in advance for the information.

Class role and spec: Jedi Guardian, DPS, Vigilance spec

Your toggled role: Current Discipline (Vigilance)

Current Item Rating: 297

Where did you receive the item: Renown Crate

Exactly what item did you receive: Superior Versatile Barrel 77 :(

Time for me to add mine I guess....

Your class role and spec? Lvl 73 Imperial Agent- engineering sniper

Your toggled role (if different)? Dps

Current item rating? i-rating 232

Where did you receive the item? That train fp, & Copero fp bosses

Exactly what item did you receive? Masterwork ancient bastion module (rating 258 shield/defense ear piece) from rancor looking monster boss, Master work ancient relic of fortunate redoubt (rating 258 shield/defense) from the guardian droid boss on Copero. Experimental Ossan relic of shield amplification (rating 252 shield/defense) from Syndic Zenta. The 252 relic was bound on pickup so I couldn't even put it in my legacy storage for an alt btw. :(

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

#1:

Your class role and spec? - Balance Sage

Your toggled role (if different)? - current/Balance

Current item rating? - 302

Where did you receive the item? - Conquest crates

Exactly what item did you receive? - multiple pieces of Empowered Restorer & gloves of Revitalized Mystic

#2:

Your class role and spec? - Deception Assassin

Your toggled role (if different)? - current/Deception

Current item rating? - 305

Where did you receive the item? - FP last boss drop (Red Reaper master mode solo)

Exactly what item did you receive? - Preserver chest piece (the same chest piece in 2 runs :frown: )

Sample #3

• Inquisitor, Sorcerer, Lightning

• Same As Spec

[*]Current item rating?

• 306> My iRating >270

• Out of Band loots: "Revitalize Mystic", and "Empowered Restorer" set pieces.... tons of them
    • In Band Loots: "Dire Retaliation", just a few
    • absolutely nothing specific to Lightning, ever.

this is the one that irks me most.... because Empowered Restorer" is listed as a generic set (Since dark heal is available to all) but it's something no DPS spec should be touching

Sample #3

• Same As Spec

[*]Current item rating?

• 306> My iRating >270

• Out of Band loots: "Revitalize Mystic", and "Empowered Restorer" set pieces.... tons of them

this is the one that irks me most.... because Empowered Restorer" is listed as a generic set (Since dark heal is available to all) but it's something no DPS spec should be touching

Absolutely :(

I wish they would have distributed the sources for the sage/sorcerer sets more evenly (aka 1x healing/1x dps each from conquest/operations or even from 4 different sources conquest/dailies/Op/FP ...)

So in order to get the gathering storm set: hunt tech fragments, reach the ridiculously low cap, either buy a piece or park the TFs somewhere, rinse and repeat - another (QoL) issue really: they need to significantly up the cap imho

Sample #3

• Same As Spec

[*]Current item rating?

• 306> My iRating >270

Exactly my experience - I haven't received even one actual sorc / sage dps set item, though I've gotten multiple full sets of the two healing sets.

However, to me Eric's comment states this is intentional / by design, and NOT part of any 'bug' that will be corrected in the December update as Bioware considers anything equip-able by a class to be useful regardless of discipline - which is absurd.

And it is clear that the number of sets, the distribution between sources, and the categorization of anything a class CAN equip as being useful to any discipline royally screws sorc / sages as the reward crates will continue to drop a preponderance of healing set pieces.

Edited by DawnAskham

Trying to gear up my sniper. We ran the Rishi flash point yesterday, my wife on her lvl 75 Arsenal Merc and me on my lvl 72 Marksman sniper,

I got two pieces that had shield and defence on them and they were lvl 252 and 258, when my iRating is 268.

Besides the fact that their iRating makes them totally worthless, they were also tank specific items (one a set bonus item) that dropped for a sniper? My wife also received, yet another Preservers armor piece on her Merc

It would seem that people between lvl 71 and 74 get 252-258 drops from bosses, regardless of their iRating. It would also seem that class spec is totally ignored if you aren’t lvl 75.

This may not be a bug, but it’s certainly annoying and needs changing. I don’t necessarily need a set bonus drop between lvl 71 and 74, but it would be nice if it dropped 268+ gear that is for a dps “only” class (there are no tank agents). At least it would be useful to deconstruct or keep for another lvling Alt. Which is not possible with 252-258 gear as it’s not legacy bound or able to be deconstructed (that should definitely be changed).

#3:

Your class role and spec? - Combat Sentinel

Your toggled role (if different)? - current

Current item rating? - 302

Where did you receive the item? - weekly (Light side token vendor) equipment crate

Exactly what item did you receive? - Trishin‘s Resort belt :(

At least the 1000 tf surprise item from Kai had a tactical for the sentinel, so yay me I guess

And why is the culling blades set not available from the class vendors?!?!

Sample #2

• Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Arsenal

• Same As Spec

[*]Current item rating?

• 306> My iRating >270

• Out of Band loots: Bolblaster's Generator (something only powertechs have the ability to equip) "Tech Medic" set pieces.... tons of them
    • In Band Loots: "Hunter Killer", just a few
    • absolutely nothing specific to Arsenal, ever.

Addendum to the above, Personalized boss loot in Operations (most recently Eternity Vault SM) is ALSO dropping "Bolblaster's Generator" which is completely unusable by any Mercenary Discipline... it literally cannot be equipped, because only Powertech has the required skill on imperial side.

This has caused a huge imbalance in offhand drops... which reduces the availability of mods (specifically barrels) that can be found/equipped)

Your class role and spec? Sharpshooter Gunslinger

Your toggled role (if different)? Set as Sharpshooter

Current item rating? 305

Where did you receive the item? First boss kill in Story Mode Scum&Villainy

Exactly what item did you receive? 2 298 iLevel Hilts from boss personal loot

Titan 6 - personal loot contained 300 iLevel hilt

HM Dread Guard:: iLevel now 306; otherwise same as above

2 304 iLevel hilts from personal boss loot

Noticing a pattern?

Edited by Kerdor
Additional info

New report from the last few days

Your class role and spec?

Arsenal Merc

Your toggled role (if different)?

Arsenal Merc

Current item rating?

Player level 73

IRating 268

Where did you receive the item?

Rishi Flash Point

Personal Conquest Crate

Exactly what item did you receive?

Experimental Ossan Relic of Imperiling Serenity (rating 252). This is a Tank item with shield and defence

Experimental Ossan Relic of the Fortunate Redoubt (iRating 252), this is also shield and defence spec

Masterwork Ancient Relic of Shield Amplification (iRating 258). Also with shield and defence stats.

Can you please fix it so lvl 70-75 characters receive green 268 gear if they are in fact iRated 268. This is a really bad system dropping gear well under you iRating.

Mercs as a class do not have a tank spec. We should never receive any tank gear in any part of the game

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Another new report from the last few days

Your class role and spec?

Lightning Sorc

Your toggled role (if different)?

Lightning Sorc

Current item rating?

Player level 75

iRating 306

Where did you receive the item?

Weekly Conquest Crate

Exactly what item did you receive?

Revitalized Mystic’s Headgear (this set bonus is specially for healing Sorc because it’s to reduce the CD of the innervate ability, which is a healing Sorc ability. Lightning spec does not have innervate as an ability

Please, let us know what is happening to address these bugs. Will they be fixed in 6.0.2 or will there be an emergency patch before then?

It is nearly a complete waste of time trying to get drops if they drop the wrong stuff. Which means not playing the class or possibly not playing the game till it’s fixed :(

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Telekinetics Sage, level 75

current

weekly guild conquest crate

2x bracers of Revitalized Mystic (as Trixxie stated: telekinetics DON'T HAVE HEALING TRANCE!),

1x feet of Empowered Restorer

and Onderon & Mek-Sha world drops only ever drop Items between 270-276 - so totally useless (except for deconstructing into Tech Frags)

Can you please fix it so lvl 70-75 characters receive green 268 gear if they are in fact iRated 268. This is a really bad system dropping gear well under you iRating.

unfortunately I don't see this happening, since 268+ is all min level 75 to use....

which is a problem since level synch severely punishes you for being over content level if you're under 306 irating.

unfortunately I don't see this happening, since 268+ is all min level 75 to use....

which is a problem since level synch severely punishes you for being over content level if you're under 306 irating.

Why can’t it drop 168 gears between lvl 70-74? Also, why not make it so the 252-258 gear starts dropping at lvl 65. It doesn’t matter that it’s high gear now because it’s obsolete and all the content is now capped at planet sink stats.