View Single Post

TrinityLyre
03.15.2014 , 01:20 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
<strike fighter builds>
Awesome! Thanks for the contribution and the formatting! I'll have to try this particular setup, I haven't played my Pike/Quell often enough because lately I've been working on additional GSF achievements.

Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
... use of retro thrusters and boost can minimize your damage taken.
That's something I actually use as well and neglected to mention, thank you for the heads up. I will add this in! It's definitely useful information.

I read the t2 scout section... I think you don't do enough justice to other builds...
I definitely don't list them all, as I mentioned that could take an awfully long time and I don't specialize more in one ship than the others. I gave an alternative build at the start of the Sting/Flashfire section, but it certainly doesn't encompass all possible specs. This is where I could use additional help from savvy T2 scouts like yourself! Ramalina's contribution with strike fighter builds definitely helps add variety to the thread and gives readers more options and logic. I think I'll link builds here in the appropriate sections.

The only time telemetry pulls ahead in DPS is when your relative accuracy (i.e. weapon accuracy minus target's evasion) is under 70%, which is pretty rare given actual accuracy and evasion values (especially with precision and post-nerf dfield etc).
I guess that really depends on who/what you're fighting. I don't believe there's any ideal build that covers all situations and I think I mentioned as much (if not, I just did right now). With Burst Laser Cannons, you're not likely to have too much trouble handling strikes if you stay on their tail. I don't feel like Retro Thrusters would ever be optimal for killing gunships, I listed a gunship-killer build for the T1 scout (and gave reasons as to why above it).

T2 scouts are another matter. 33% evasion base on a T2 scout + 35% (DF) + either 30% (Retro) or 15% (Running Inter) is 98% or 83% evasion. That's not even counting the additional evasion from TT if you were to spec that way. Even at best-case scenario shots at 500m or less (which is DEFINITELY not every shot), you have less than 70% accuracy (123% BLC at 500m or less + let's say 20% Servo Jammer or In Your Sights = 143%. 143% - worst case 83% = 60% accuracy.). Based on your statement, you'll run into this situation against my T2 scout build pretty much every time. If I did the math wrong or don't understand it properly, I hope I at least conveyed the thought well enough. I definitely don't think it's worthless, though I agree it might not be as useful in games that are horribly skewed in your favor.

Quote: Originally Posted by Morgrid View Post
Couple of odd choices on the Razorwire. But nonetheless a good read.
Thank you! What about the Razorwire did you find odd? Maybe you could suggest some alternatives? I went with damage reduction on it to make it a bit more distinct in flavor to the Legion/Warcarrier, though I've run a pretty typical build on it as well.

Oh, and coming at it from a sim player's perspective, if you're not flying as part of a well coordinated team you are by definition an incompetent pilot.
I tend to agree with this sentiment and generally enjoy playing with friends much more than solo queues where every enemy is out for my blood. Having a buddy makes it easier to coordinate and play as a real team (I know, no brainer).

Like many component choices in GSF it's nuanced and situational with no single choice guaranteed to be a global optimum.
100% agree here, which ties in to my reply for the next quote...

Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
I haven't read the whole guide, but at first sight it looks more like a personal build suggestion than a guide to me, but not everything that works great for you, does work great for others.
This is why I've listed what I use and why, rather than analyze each component in the game and say "don't use this because so and so." If someone else wishes to do that or becomes a popular request (which I haven't seen quite yet, this was mostly done because of the frequent whispers I get) I'd be willing to work on something to that effect. I agree that each player has their own playing style (look at Ramalina's strike fighter builds, quite different!), and hopefully more contributions will reflect that and give readers more variety.

I would argue that those are the situations you're supposed to be putting yourself in. Bombers and gunships are a huge threat, and sneaking up behind people is obviously the best way to kill them ("don't fight fair, fight to win").
Love the quote, I think I referenced something to this effect somewhere in that long mess of posts I made.

Quote: Originally Posted by zaskar View Post
As soon as I saw he had recommendations for the new ships I called ********. No one had had any time in them but devs, at least enough to make solid choices on systems and gameplay.
I did mention that it's theoretical, you can call it whatever you like. I'd challenge you to add something useful to the thread, but I can't force you to.

I guess I'll make those changes/additions, now. Keep the feedback and commentary coming!
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!