The free month of subscription you got will cost you 150 Cartel Coins.

Pax_Sanatio

That's right.

If you were awarded with a free one month subscription earlier this year, you will not be given the 150 Cartel Coins for that month. Straight from the mouth of two BioWare / EA / SWTOR customer service representatives.

After speaking with two customer service representatives, I was informed that the month I was given for free did not count as a month I would be awarded Cartel Coins for because I did not pay for it.

Honestly, this upset me as I have been, and still am, a loyal paid subscriber to the game. I have paid for everyday since day one with a 6 month reoccurring subscription and my payments have been prompt.

So why am I now being told that a month I received for free, one that I did not ask for but appreciate, does no count toward the accumulation of Cartel Coins for being a loyal SWTOR player and subscriber?

This does not make sense to me.

I was wondering if someone from BioWare / EA could explain.

Thanks.

Pax

p.s. - I realize that this thread has the potential to devolve into a flame war against companies turning a profit on the products that they produce, but let's keep it above the belt for this one please. I'd really like to know the rational behind this. Thx again.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most self-entitled, ridiculous thing I have ever read on these forums. Why don't you invest that $15 you saved on your sub that month on some cartel coins?

Getting something for free and whining.. seriously some people...

I understand your perspective.

My point is that I was not , nor was anyone, told that this would be the case.

As I said, I appreciate the free month. And I will probably invest the $15 saved back into the game.

I just would have liked to have been told this officially and not have to go through customer service to find out.

So let me get this straight, You have been a subscriber since day 1, not because you wanted to rack up Cartel Coins, but because you wanted to play the game. And for playing the game, you were given a FREE month.

And now you are complaining that for the FREE month you were given, given just for playing the game, that you won't be given the FREE cartel coins, that you weren't expecting/wanting when you paid?

As I said, I appreciate the free month. And I will probably invest the $15 saved back into the game.

I just would have liked to have been told this officially and not have to go through customer service to find out.

I don't understand why you needed to be told you wouldn't be receiving coins for a month you DID NOT pay for.

This is the most self-entitled, ridiculous thing I have ever read on these forums. Why don't you invest that $15 you saved on your sub that month on some cartel coins?

Getting something for free and whining.. seriously some people...

This is the most hyperbole I have ever read in a single post. :rolleyes:

When you paid, or recieved the free months no one knew there would even be Cartel Coins

Because you get Cartel coins for the months that you payed to play. Bioware gave us that month for free so i don't see why we should get Cartel coins on top of the Free month. Thats like getting a birthday present and saying "this gift sucks buy me more." Crappy analogy but you get what i'm trying to say here.

You were told this from the start when F2p was announced.

Taken from swtor.com/free

150 Complimentary Cartel Coins

Each paid month prior to July 31, 2012

It says right there each PAID month. You did not pay for December if you were a launch subscriber and your free month between april/june depending on when your account renewed. You should not get a bonus for something you did not pay for plain and simple. The $15 (30 if you count your free month upon original subscription) will most likely net you between 2000-3000 coins which is a much better tradeoff than 150-300 coins for $30 of subscription time.

its a true story. you get 15$ worth of play time and give up 150 coins, which my 'guess' based on market research and common sense will probably amount to 1.50 in the cartel market.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I too am a survivor of this horrible horrible tragedy. Can't you find it in your hearts to give me the 150 coins? I mean, i got the collectors edition, for 30$ which had the statue, and the security key, and the 1000 cartel coins, and an awesome art book, and a slew of other cool goodies which basically paid for itself in the end, especially considering I got the 15$ value of a month FREE with it.

but.... i seriously think i should also get my 150 coins, or else this free item i got? totally wasnt worth it. and in that case, i wouldn't have gotten the other 1000 coins with it had i not gotten it at all......

read between the lines please.

No one is having to pay cartel coins for those 30 days. We merely are not being given cartel coins for them. The 30 days cost nothing, in terms of cartel coins. If those 30 days cost $15, then the game you bought cost you $15 less. Cartel coins don't enter into it. They are a premium on paid game time. That's all.

This is the only mmo i've played where i entered a second serial key into my account and got awarded the free month. And I have done this in WoW and SWG and a couple of other games to get the extra bonus items that came with the newer starter editions and collectors editions.

this is the only game that awarded the free month a second time. would you rather have not gotten the second month free, but gotten the 150 coins?

you do realize that is trading about 2$ for 15$ right?

I don't understand why you needed to be told you wouldn't be receiving coins for a month you DID NOT pay for.

Because the original announcement never said anything about paying.

"You will receive Complimentary Cartel Coins for all your previous and current subscription months."

It doesn't say "each month you paid 14.99" it just says each month you subscribed. Are they now going to say that technically we weren't subscribed then? Well then why didn't they tell their shareholders that they had 0 subscribers for that month.

If we weren't subscribers than why did they openly and knowingly violate SEC regulations and lie to their shareholders?

See it's just another instance of corporate double talk, of doing the convenient money grabbing thing rather than pleasing your customer. Just par for the course I guess.

Because the original announcement never said anything about paying.

"You will receive Complimentary Cartel Coins for all your previous and current subscription months."

It doesn't say "each month you paid 14.99" it just says each month you subscribed. Are they now going to say that technically we weren't subscribed then? Well then why didn't they tell their shareholders that they had 0 subscribers for that month.

If we weren't subscribers than why did they openly and knowingly violate SEC regulations and lie to their shareholders?

See it's just another instance of corporate double talk, of doing the convenient money grabbing thing rather than pleasing your customer. Just par for the course I guess.

Once again it says on the swtor.com/free site from day 1 which has not changed:

150 Complimentary Cartel Coins

Each paid month prior to July 31, 2012

You were told you simply did not read

They specified that we will receive CC for all PAID months. I thought it was obvious that we won't get it for FREE months.

"BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce a new Cartel Coin Ledger page on http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com. This new web page is located on the left hand navigation bar within the “My Account” section. It gives you a detailed list of all the Complimentary Cartel Coins you could potentially receive at the launch of the Free-to-Play option!

You will receive Complimentary Cartel Coins for all your previous and current subscription months. There are additional grants for the purchase of a Collector’s Edition or a Digital Deluxe Edition, as well as a one-time reward at the launch of the Free-to-Play option. You’ll only receive your Complimentary Cartel Coins if you’re active and subscribed when we go live with the new Free-to-Play option.

The Complimentary Cartel Coins you will receive can be used to acquire must-have pets, vehicles, XP boots, and more from the new Cartel Market when the Free-to-Play option launches."

Doesn't say PAID subscription months there now does it?

Y'know, I can see wanting to word it so people don't get free Cartel Coins for the 30 day trial everyone got to kick off their paid subscription, but not giving it to the people they granted a free 30 days to because of their Legacy status (aka, their loyalty) does seem wrong to me.

And this is from someone who didn't get the free 30 days back then, because I didn't have a Legacy unlocked. It seems wrong that I'm entitled to more Cartel Coins than those players, just because I couldn't qualify for the free month.

You were not told...when?

Before or after a whole month of playing for free, with no restrictions?

Also, does the official site's Free-to-Play FAQ seem official enough?

Because the information was there. You just didn't look for it.

wrong. I linked announcement. They changed it ex post facto.

You mean the announcement that tells you to go to the FAQ to see the POTENTIAL rewards which then has this:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6475

"If you are a former subscriber or if you join Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ now, you will start earning Cartel Coins for every for every paid month until the launch of the Free-to-Play option. "

It tells you in multiple places it's for paid months you chose to ignore that part by not reading all information available and then blame Bioware/EA for your own mistakes.