Firebrand and Stormcaller - Crushing Blow Bug

My guild has determined that because of the new AOE nature of Crushing Blow, it will do damage to the Shield Generators during the Defensive Systems phase of the Firebrand and Stormcaller fight.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and hopefully make this known so that BioWare can set the Shield Generators as "Crowd Controlled".

Why should Bioware set it as Crowd Control? All classes cannot use AOE's when under the shields which is something they must take into account so it should be the same for Jugg/Guardian surely? I tank this with my Guardian all the time and I know not to use guardian slash if they have 5 stacks of sundering armor, why make it easier for me? Its already too easy imo.

Not a bug, working as intended. The bug is with the Jugg/Guardian not using their brain.

Edited by JFerret

I agree hitting something that is keeping you alive is not smart but thats not Bioware's fault thats the player who is not smart enough to know their "smart AOE" attack is gonna damage a shield that is put there by the enemy to protect the ads.

Three solutions:

1. Bring a Jugg with more common sense than to use an AoE inside the shield.

2. Have your Jugg with no common sense stay on Firebrand during Defensive Systems.

3. Put your Jugg with no common sense on Stormcaller and make him kite.

What the others said. I know it's meant to be smart - but it's not that smart. We on the other hand can be smart, and simply not use it :p

I'm a PT, and yes it's a bit of a pain - but I just have to remember not tuse Rail Shot during the Defensive systems, and also during other fights such as the Adds in the Kephess fight under the shield.

I still do it sometimes out of bad habit, rail shot the warrior from afar and end up wiping 50% of my hp. Give it a week and it should then become habit to not use the ability when there are things around that arn't meant to be damaged.

I for one appreciate the OPs post.

While we all know not to use AoEs under the shield, the case with crushing blow isn't that simple. Let's look at crushing blow:

Crushing blow is NOT an AoE if the target does not already have 5 sunders.

Crushing blow is a *smart AoE* if the target has 5 sunders.

While I agree that the shield generator shouldn't count as an incapacitated target, the fact is that it is hard to predict whether it will be an AoE or not, unless you keep a constant watch on the number of sunders.

And most people that are used to using crushing blow under the shield prior to 1.3, won't be expecting it to now damage the shield generator post 1.3.

Anyway, the best practical solution is to not spec 31-immortal at all for tanking... but that is a different discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
Though I don't agree that this a bug, it is def. something that needs to be rectified. The Operation: Denova: Explosive Conflict was introduced in Update 1.2. The 'change' to Crushing Blow was not introduced until Update 1.3. Setting the Shield as being CC'd wouldn't work because of how Firebrand's Mortar Volley ability works. There is a solution to this problem, other than not using the ability as you would pre 1.3, but I am unsure as to what it is.