Crafting Annoyance...

Torvasha

I'm getting kinda annoyed with the high-end crew skill missions. As an Artifice - I have Archeology and Treasure Hunting. I've already got my companions loyalties Maxed out yet I only get one maybe two level 6 gemstone missions and all sorts of companion gift missions. Then when I send them out for the missions - and get them back (45min to an hour later) they don't even bring back what I need! I have 150 yellow and orange crystals in my bank and 6 gemstones! With max loyalty I'm lucky if I get 3gemstones on a 'moderate' return and 4-5gemstones on 'abundant'. As far as I can tell there is no planet I can farm gemstones on (power crystals yes but gemstones?) so I'm stuck running hour long missions for next to no return.

Its annoying to have to wait 45+ min to get a TH mission returned - without even being able to craft something. Please up the returns or lower the wait time on these missions. WWith only 2hr playtimes - its next to impossible to get any decent crafting done. (and yes I know about 'offline' but that still doesn't help.)

Edited by Torvasha

I'm afraid I can't agree here. You can send up to 5 companions off at a time, and with full affection and efficiency, an hour's wait returns a tremendous number of items. I have enough gemstones, in fact, that I have run out of room in my expanded cargo bay.

I'm not intending to suggest that every mission returns tons of stuff, or that obtaining tons of stuff is easy or cheap. But I'd like to offer the opinion that it's extremely possible to get lots and lots of stuff. I don't even play the market--I just run either 4 Ilum dailies (15 mins) *or* the new Corellia dailies (20 mins) most days (4-5 days per week) and use the $ for repairs and crew skill missions.

To put it another way, there's no reason that you need more than a few mats at a time; sending 3-5 companions off for various things will net you enough mats to make an item. If you want a stockpile, then it'd be pretty unhealthy for the game's fledgling economy to let you have it all at once. Patience and persistance will yield tremendous gains.

I'm afraid I can't agree here. You can send up to 5 companions off at a time, and with full affection and efficiency, an hour's wait returns a tremendous number of items. I have enough gemstones, in fact, that I have run out of room in my expanded cargo bay.

I'm not intending to suggest that every mission returns tons of stuff, or that obtaining tons of stuff is easy or cheap. But I'd like to offer the opinion that it's extremely possible to get lots and lots of stuff. I don't even play the market--I just run either 4 Ilum dailies (15 mins) *or* the new Corellia dailies (20 mins) most days (4-5 days per week) and use the $ for repairs and crew skill missions.

To put it another way, there's no reason that you need more than a few mats at a time; sending 3-5 companions off for various things will net you enough mats to make an item. If you want a stockpile, then it'd be pretty unhealthy for the game's fledgling economy to let you have it all at once. Patience and persistance will yield tremendous gains.

The problem isn't I can't send off the companions - the issue is that you don't even get the option. If I'm lucky I have one 'moderate' mission (which maybe returns 2 gemstones) and one 'abundant' mission (which maybe returns 4). The rest are always companion gift missions. So I can only send out 1-2 companions - have too wait and hour - 'maybe' get what I needed and then send them out again. So I can craft 1 item in a 3 hour play period.

The problem isn't I can't send off the companions - the issue is that you don't even get the option. If I'm lucky I have one 'moderate' mission (which maybe returns 2 gemstones) and one 'abundant' mission (which maybe returns 4). The rest are always companion gift missions. So I can only send out 1-2 companions - have too wait and hour - 'maybe' get what I needed and then send them out again. So I can craft 1 item in a 3 hour play period.

What you need to support then, is the suggestion over in the suggestion thread for: "Allow refreshing the mission list."

I have had a similar problem where, as Cybertech; all missions either return fabrics (which I can't use) or companion gifts (which I don't want) Not having a single metals mission is quite common.

I'm getting kinda annoyed with the high-end crew skill missions. As an Artifice - I have Archeology and Treasure Hunting. I've already got my companions loyalties Maxed out yet I only get one maybe two level 6 gemstone missions and all sorts of companion gift missions. Then when I send them out for the missions - and get them back (45min to an hour later) they don't even bring back what I need! I have 150 yellow and orange crystals in my bank and 6 gemstones! With max loyalty I'm lucky if I get 3gemstones on a 'moderate' return and 4-5gemstones on 'abundant'. As far as I can tell there is no planet I can farm gemstones on (power crystals yes but gemstones?) so I'm stuck running hour long missions for next to no return.

Its annoying to have to wait 45+ min to get a TH mission returned - without even being able to craft something. Please up the returns or lower the wait time on these missions. WWith only 2hr playtimes - its next to impossible to get any decent crafting done. (and yes I know about 'offline' but that still doesn't help.)

It is ridiculous.

Biochem and Scavenging nodes are EVERYWHERE. Not to mention they can collect material from strong+ droid sna organics. Gemstone spots are pretty rare. It EXTREMELY unfair. Add to the fact that when trying for schematics you have to stick to 1 color is even more frustraiing because you probably have a mix of all colors. If you get a blue for red and all you have left are green. You can't get purples.

Waste my money or my time. But not both. If a person waits an hour for something AND pays money for it... it had better give guaranteed results. Especially if all you get for your trouble is 2 items that you don't even get to choose. It's like they hate crafting. I copuld go on and on about how pointless high teir crafting gets. But artificers have it real bad.

I think underworld trading is the worst for this but could be wrong. So many times I bring up the mission window and all the missions are companion gifts or luxury fabrics, no underworld metals mission available. This is friggin annoying.

Oh and on a side note I don't thing REing is any batter since 1.2 came out. :mad:

One thing you can do is queue up all the gemstone missions available, then zone or logout and back in again (this will reset the missions available), and repeat until all companions occupied.

As far as getting yellow or orange gems instead of the standard ones, there's not really anything you can do. Unless they redesign it and add specific missions for the different types of gems you're pretty much screwed. If it's any consolation, once you're pretty much done with researching schematics and blue crafting mats it gets far, far worse as you're then dependant on crits for purple ones.

Assuming you still have any interest in crafting by that point.

Seriously, the time to complete some of these is completely ridiculous. I just love sending people out on long missions and they come back with nothing too. I am really liking all of the companion gift missions that are all over the place too (I guess we know why the cool down was removed)

My only gripe is that I can't direct my comps to run more than one mission overnight. I would like to stack at least 4-5 of some of these things so I can get a decent quantity returned. ...and if they don't want to stack the things fine, but at least give us one or two missions in addition to the current ones that take like 12-16 hours to complete for some bigger payload results on overnight runs.

I do however, feel compelled to happily acknowledge that since 1.2 they do now allow me to have more than one comp crafting at a time! ...which is pretty huge for leveling your base craft quickly. THANK YOU!

Edited by XLJedi

Go to the GTN and buy some 340 TH missions. You get all sorts of stuff back. I am finding them on my server for 15-20K. and the stuff I get from them or make from the mats are more than enough to pay for itself. Usually I can make 2-4x the cost of the mission from the mats I get back. Crit craft a color crystal and I make even more.

As for missions I believe they refresh every 5 minutes or so. No need to zone or anything. I have had them pop up in between sending out companions.

Go to the GTN and buy some 340 TH missions. You get all sorts of stuff back. I am finding them on my server for 15-20K. and the stuff I get from them or make from the mats are more than enough to pay for itself. Usually I can make 2-4x the cost of the mission from the mats I get back. Crit craft a color crystal and I make even more.

Agreed, with the caveat that given the current server populations, I wouldn't bother to recommend that anyone go to the GTN as the solution for any problem... they will only end up thinking their search button is broken.

It doesn't do you ANY good to send 5 companions if you are farming crafting mats and your only options on the crewskills missions list are for COMPANION GIFTS.

Miss the point much?

And I don't know what you are crafting, but the high-end items I craft require a LOT more than just 1-2 <insertArtifact-rarityMaterial> and so I'm pretty well screwed if I try to make one .. much less two or three of an item.

Edited by KrelosDarksky

Another example amoung many why the crafting in TOR is weak. I donot even bother with it anymore.

This is the thing, by time you gather and craft an item you can either find it by questing, drops or on the GTN which makes both gathering and crew missions for blue/purple items rather pointless.

What they should of done is made the crafting of (at least) blue items easier and less of a grind, a 50% RE success rate for a blue schematic would help. Also you should be able to craft unique items that you wouldn't find by questing, like mods with stats the quest ones don't have or even design your own mods with a number of stats points for that level, even naming it and selling as your own item.

Thirdly I think there should be some sort of forced tutorial you should get at level 10 to make sure you can actually gather and craft an item as well as a good point to start, the current one just tells you to go to a trainer but doesn't force you to craft. My first character I got to level 30 something without crafting which made it a pointless grind having to boost my crew skill stats up to my level.

This is the thing, by time you gather and craft an item you can either find it by questing, drops or on the GTN which makes both gathering and crew missions for blue/purple items rather pointless.

What they should of done is made the crafting of (at least) blue items easier and less of a grind, a 50% RE success rate for a blue schematic would help. Also you should be able to craft unique items that you wouldn't find by questing, like mods with stats the quest ones don't have or even design your own mods with a number of stats points for that level, even naming it and selling as your own item.

Thirdly I think there should be some sort of forced tutorial you should get at level 10 to make sure you can actually gather and craft an item as well as a good point to start, the current one just tells you to go to a trainer but doesn't force you to craft. My first character I got to level 30 something without crafting which made it a pointless grind having to boost my crew skill stats up to my level.

Blue should definitely be the norm. I don't see the point in a set of greens spanning 7 levels? By the time you get a full set at , let's say 15, your belt and wrist slot is level 9? You will have better greens from random drops by 15.

Purples are a joke and imo exist for the truly obcessive. I get my blue schematic and I'm done. Why waste the time and resources for schematics that will be out of date in a few levels. Purples only make since for lvl 50 gear. And the whole redoubt, overkill critical thing annoys me too. Tank armor should only produce redoubt. DPS armor should onlt produce overkill and critical. And the amount of purple varients... jesus. The chance of you getting what you actually want are low.

My only gripe is that I can't direct my comps to run more than one mission overnight. I would like to stack at least 4-5 of some of these things so I can get a decent quantity returned. ...and if they don't want to stack the things fine, but at least give us one or two missions in addition to the current ones that take like 12-16 hours to complete for some bigger payload results on overnight runs.

I do however, feel compelled to happily acknowledge that since 1.2 they do now allow me to have more than one comp crafting at a time! ...which is pretty huge for leveling your base craft quickly. THANK YOU!

You could always craft with more than 1 companion.

Allowing you to send items to different faction alts is the big gift. There was no way I was raising a crew mission (the ones you can't harvest via nodes) on multiple toons.

Blue should definitely be the norm. I don't see the point in a set of greens spanning 7 levels? By the time you get a full set at , let's say 15, your belt and wrist slot is level 9? You will have better greens from random drops by 15.

Purples are a joke and imo exist for the truly obcessive. I get my blue schematic and I'm done. Why waste the time and resources for schematics that will be out of date in a few levels. Purples only make since for lvl 50 gear. And the whole redoubt, overkill critical thing annoys me too. Tank armor should only produce redoubt. DPS armor should onlt produce overkill and critical. And the amount of purple varients... jesus. The chance of you getting what you actually want are low.

If you are like me though you work your crew skills to be just above your level. This makes it so that you get a green schematic, you RE for the blue and then the purple so that when you hit the level requirement it's ready to go. Granted this takes a significant amount of credits, but not so much as to be prohibitive. And that one purple you get will last a LONG time; on one character, I have yet to find a better item to replace a level 39 purple and I just hit 50; even the orange one I have sitting in my cargo waiting for better enhancements.

Agreed, with the caveat that given the current server populations, I wouldn't bother to recommend that anyone go to the GTN as the solution for any problem... they will only end up thinking their search button is broken.

My GTN Search button IS broken. LOL

:wea_03:

Having the same issue with Underworld Trading. I get 1 moderate metals mission for 49-50 2 or 3 abundant to rich fabric missions or 2 to 3 rich companion gift missions. It's stupid. Why am I getting fabric missions at all? I don't use the damn stuff and it doesn't sell worth a damn. Why all the damn companion gift missions? Not like I need the stuff, they are all maxed out. Then to top it off, all I get a Armormech and Synthweaving schematics. Go to the GTN and nothing for Cybertech other then ship mods and speeder bikes. ***! Who came up with this dumb *** resource gathering formula?

Crafting in this game needs a major overhaul. Was poorly thought out and is utterly useless at the end of the day. You can buy the same items or better from vendors and don't have to go to all the bother of doing the leg work.

Edited by Biytor

I didn't realize you had to keep coming back to the trainer to learn new schematics. I remember having a full armour set of purple, craftable low level stuff at one point.