Scoundral or Gunslinger?

Kogarvandalin

I only have an alt scoundrel (sawbones/scrapper). For me, I love putting a shotgun to the back of my target's head. It's a cool way to finish a target...and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who tries to finish their target that way. Also, being able to stealth is very useful, as is Disappearing Act. The option to heal is nice too, as is the tranquilizer ability.

I've only seen gunslingers played, but dual blasters looks really cool imo.

BTW...this is just from a PvE perspective.

Edited by CalBears

I have a level 50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger and a level 27 Concealment Operative. So while I don't have a max level of both, I'd like to think I have at least enough of Operative to get the feel of it.

Sharpshooter is strong DPS with some level of defensive stuff, mostly short term abilities, to help outlast in a fight. Having cover means that you will have 100% immunity to ranged attacks, assuming they aren't AOE (and when you aren't popping up to shoot). And while it makes you a sitting duck for melee, you will have cover pulse (an AOE knockback) every 30 seconds, aimed shot (with certain skill points becomes a really long knockback) every 12 or so seconds, and Leg Shot (up to five second "stop them in their tracks" root) every 12 seconds (if you invest in skill points). Against everyone else, you have Diversion (reduces opponents accuracy by 40% for 9 seconds), dodge (full immunity to non-aoe attacks for 3-4 seconds), Defense Screen (absorbs some damage), Scrambling Field (25% damage reduction for you and your friends for about 12 seconds), Hunker Down (with skill investment, 60% damage reduction from AOE's... The thing that cover is vulnerable to), and, when all else fails.... Dirty Kick to stun them for 4 seconds.

To sum up, as a Gunslinger you've got the tools to stay alive long enough to blast the crap out of your enemies. They don't last very long however, so make them count.

Operative (Scoundrel equivalent), I found was very easy to solo with. The combination of having heals, in-combat "OH CRAPZORZ!" stealth (think smokebomb), a stealth-based 60 second stun against organics, AND a 60 second stun against droids, makes solo'ing most heroics a breeze. At level 23, I was completing 4-man heroics solo. I could stun a droid AND an organic for 60 seconds so I could take out the trash before the others wake up. Against champion bosses, I could heal my companion during long fights (granted, it was slower than death, but I got there), and had the benefit of being able to take cover to avoid being hit. And if I mucked up and was about to die? No biggie. Just smokebomb and get the heck out of dodge.

So yeah. Different playstyles, but both very fun.

In two simple definitions...

If you want to play "turret like" and shoot like there is no tomorrow dealing lots of damage, go for Gunslinger.

If you want to be invisible, use a shotgun to back blast your enemies and punch and kick mobs like there's no tomorrow, go for Scoundrel.

I have a 50 gunslinger and a 50 operative (the Empire's scoundrels) and I love both! I only PvE.

As an operative (healing spec) I love being able to stealth - sneaking past mobs, tip-toeing up to them and stabbing them in the back, going *poof* in a cloud of smoke when I want to high-tail it out of a fight gone bad. :cool: I love being able to cc both droids and humanoids. The survivability of this class is great. It does take some "set-up" though before the fight and if I'm caught off guard sometimes things can get dicey. Being a healer helps with that though. I let my companion do the majority of the fighting while I heal, toss in interrupts and stun them with back stabs. The scoundrel is very similar, except you are shooting and punching mobs in the back instead of stabbing them.

Gunslingers are just plain fun. As a gunslinger (sharpshooter) I love cover - the acrobatic roll is part of what made me want to play this class. I love the sound effects, the animations, twirling my guns and dressy snazzy. My goal is to kill things fast before they kill me - a race against death. Getting the healing companion last was a pain and did make for a squishier time leveling. Once I got him though I had a noticeably easier time fighting bosses. I love dirty kick and I enjoy watching mobs fly into the air away from me when I blow them back.

Edited by CloudCastle

You will get Guss, your Healing Companion, last. Basically you will have to level up past 40 with your own heals being your only source of Healing.

As a Gunslinger, the whole DPS-race was a lot less friendly and more obnoxious in certain fights. Especially bad is the first 30+ levels until you get Rishaa, because you're initially running with the options of Tank or Tank. Blech.

With the Agent on Imperial Side, you get a DPS companion as #2 and your Healer as #3, so I think some people who only played the Agent as the Smuggler's counterpart might underestimate how painful it is to go without heals for 85% of the leveling curve. Gunslinger is fun in the end, but there are a handful of fights that are just downright painful.

Though the Gunslinger does have increased customizeability over the Scoundrel given that both his main hand and off hand weapons can be customed, and with the Scoundrel I've yet to find the custom Scattergun for the offhand.

As a Scoundrel however, from the beginning you will find that there is nothing you cannot do. There is plenty you have to do sloooow, but nothing is ever impossible. And then, after the leveling experience when you finally reach the endgame, hey, you're a healer so there's no shortage of groups available.

If you get bored easily, play a Gunslinger. If you get frustrated easily, play a Scoundrel.

Pretty much what the others have said.

If you want a bit more of a comfort zone the scoundrel offers stealth, good cc and healing. They are generally more close quarters orientated.

If you want range, great damage and enjoy the challenge of working without a safety net then try the gunslinger. Taking biochem for the reusable stim and med-packs as a gunslinger helps too, though the same can be said for biochem with any class.

H.

Being gunslinger is no problem. Some people don't like the cover system, but in all honesty I find myself popping out and into cover to get instant Charged Shots. I swapped my F key to be cover in place and shift-F for cover, as it is annoying if you whizz across the room and then can't see your target!

You get some warning that you're going to be overwhelmed by mobs, allowing you to blast them away with Impulse, flash grenade them or knock them back if you chose percussive shot for Aimed Shot. I tend to find surrender doesn't always work.

It's also easier to spread damage amongst enemies so that you don't draw agro away from a group's tank.

Still there's always that warm glow when your opponent is almost dead and you run up, kick 'em in the family jewels and pistol whip 'em dead.

Edited by SleepyJoeFriday

Honestly, any fight that is painful as a Gunslinger is almost always more painful as a Scoundrel. Once your squishy tank companion dies you're locked out of your best and hardest hitting ability (Back Blast) barring any stuns you use since the enemies all auto face you. That said, the DPS on the Gunslinger is usually better for Operations, but being able to heal is also nice. I wouldn't dismiss DPS scoundrels in PVP either. A lot of people say they're useless, but I can beat people who are slightly more geared than me fairly reliably one vs one, and can still contribute to the team if I get stuck out of stealth for a while.