My taste of the novel Annihilation(SPOILER)

Slowpokeking

I have kind of wanted to get this off my chest for a while, and this thread is on the same topic. Anyway, one way that Star Wars is different from real life is that the power of Countries, Empire's, etc. isn't determined as much by their Economic Power. Al-Qaeda wasn't even in the same league of a threat to the US that Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union were. The reason is that the actual Countries (Germany and the USSR) had Economies, and big ones at that. The UK triumphed over France in their rivalry in the latter half of the 2nd Millennium because (among other things) the UK was richer and could build more ships. Germany overtook France as top dog in Europe in the mid to late-1800's because it had more Industry, a bigger economy, and more people. The Allies in WW2 crushed the Axis since they out produced them by a massive margin. The US beat the USSR in the Cold War since it had both a better Economic System and a much larger Economy. A Star Wars example is how the Sith Empire in KotOR is described as much more powerful than the Republic just from its sheer quantity of War Material.

Now, the Republic and Empire are threats to each other because they are Galaxy-Spanning Empires with immense Economic Power backed up with Colossal Fleets and Armies, and you know, they want to annihilate each other. The advantage the Empire has is that at the start of the War, it had the bigger fleet of the two. While the Republic controlled most of the galaxy and held the Industrial Heartlands of the Core Worlds. Aka, the Empire has the bigger (or at least superior) Military, while the Republic has the bigger Economy. Even with all the Empire was able to conquer, the Republic still holds the Core and therefore the Economic Advantage (The Cold War Republic is supposedly twice as large as the Cold War Empire). The Overall War between the two is more or less a race, with the Empire needing to conquer the Republic before the immense economy of the Republic is brought to bear. The point we are now seeing is the aftermath of the Republic grinding the Empire into defeat Stalingrad-Style at Corellia, and now beginning the process of pushing the Empire back until they emerge Victorious. Even though Drew makes this seem too much like things are going great for the Republic, he is on the right track with how the War is progressing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the war between the Sith Empire & the Old Republic will last something like 2000-3000 years (1k before the movies), o we may yet to see differents "evolutions" between the two parties. Edited by yoomazir

Hopefully the war between the Sith Empire & the Old Republic will last something like 2000-3000 years (1k before the movies), o we may yet to see differents "evolutions" between the two parties.

I would prefer that it ended within our characters' lifetimes. It would be nice to see that the heroes that emerged after the Treaty of Coruscant successfully ended the war. Nevertheless, it wouldn't make sense for the conflict to last until 1000 BBY--it is established as is that a separate Sith Order rises against the Republic in 2000 BBY.

We have no proof of that - it's actually quite likely that the Republic and Empire somehow merge. After all: During the clone wars, the Republic symbol is the Imperial symbol from this game.

Daniel Erickson, the SWTOR lead writer before leaving BioWare, mentioned that an eventual merge will occur that brings Imperials to the Core Worlds and would explain how the Imperial accent thousands of years later is known as being the 'Core' accent. I would assume the Imperial insignia-merging would occur as well.

Edited by Ravager

Re-read it last night and yea it still sucks. Darth Kharrid is a psycho and the fact the Council are ok with that astounds me. Not to mention I like Gravus, love him on Taris and it irked me to see him killed like a whiny little coward.

I don't know why did they handle Gravus that way.

Neither do I, it was apparent that DK never did any research on Gravus or he wouldn't have done that to Gravus. In my world Gravus is still alive.

I guess we could assume it's a different Gravus - the game mentions there being many Darth Jugoran's. Unless the book specified that this is the Gravus that destroyed Taris, in which case it's just another example of DK butchering a character to help his own "pet" characters. (coughMeetracough)

I guess we could assume it's a different Gravus - the game mentions there being many Darth Jugoran's. Unless the book specified that this is the Gravus that destroyed Taris, in which case it's just another example of DK butchering a character to help his own "pet" characters. (coughMeetracough)

I asked DK on his twitter and he said it's the same one, then I asked why the calm, cunning Sith in the game was portrayed like Thana in the book, he didn't respond.

it did, when the Dark Council was talking about putting him on it they mentioned what he had done on Taris. They turned this one into a pyscho who lost his cool and was more like Thana and not like the calm headed, Gravus on Taris that nothing ruffled his feathers.

I asked DK on his twitter and he said it's the same one, then I asked why the calm, cunning Sith in the game was portrayed like Thana in the book, he didn't respond.

Figures, Gravus is one of my favorite NPC's in the game and to have him punked like he was pissed me off.

This is DK reply to my tweet as to why Gravus suddenly looked like thana and all psycho.... Realization of his inescapable death rattled him; someone used to pulling all the strings can rattle when the tables are turned.

Sure...now see if he can come up with an excuse for why Meetra turned into a wimpy Revan fangirl.

Still, it does makes sense, at least. TVTropes even has a term for it...Villainous Breakdown.

Meh, maybe I'm being unfair to DK. I did like Annihilation and the Bane books...I guess I'm just still angry about the Revan novel.

Edited by DarthVitrial

This is DK reply to my tweet as to why Gravus suddenly looked like thana and all psycho.... Realization of his inescapable death rattled him; someone used to pulling all the strings can rattle when the tables are turned.

Well he didn't have to die at first, he could let Karrid fight the pubs and steal the victory or make some other plans, instead he chose to attack Karrid when the pubs were not finished, he made his own grave, and that's not the Gravus we saw.

Well he didn't have to die at first, he could let Karrid fight the pubs and steal the victory or make some other plans, instead he chose to attack Karrid when the pubs were not finished, he made his own grave, and that's not the Gravus we saw.

Exactly, he would have never attacked her first and abandon a battle to do it. Yes he may have panicked when he realized he was going to die but he would have never put himself into that position in the first place. He is too calculating for that.

• 7 months later...
Neither do I, it was apparent that DK never did any research on Gravus or he wouldn't have done that to Gravus. In my world Gravus is still alive.

Yes its very clear that he did little to no research. I think that he just pulled names from the game and he didnt care about their back story in the game. Also when you look at the time this book was being worked on BW was having major issues, so I think they just let him go at it with out oversite. This book is a good case in when giving someone too much free rain can hurt an ip.

DK wrote a mediocre novel? I'm surprised.... I was also reeeeeeaaaaaally surprised that Jace Malcom was the father.... :rolleyes:

I was really hoping it was Tavus. "Your dad's dead, and he was a traitor". A much better 'darkness' then what we got.