Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

Keffeine

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tl;dr

I have done it, it was cool. Now don't let anyone else get it!

Seriously, why bother? Don't like people playing end-game content with you? I am happy more 50's come with every day.

This was my impression as well. :)

tl;dr

Seriously, why bother? Don't like people playing end-game content with you? I am happy more 50's come with every day.

Because it's not good for the game.

Even without rhe 2xXP weekends, it's already way too easy to level in this game and there's really too many people that reach 50 without understanding how to play PvE in a group or do warzones. The more you simplifie leveling, the less people understand their class, their role and how to behave in a group.

This was my impression as well. :)

That's what I was hearing, too. I did not indulge myself with that method personally, but it was not because I did not approve, it was for the simple fact that I have no clue what Bioware's stance is on it and felt it was not worth the risk to find out the hard way.

Even without rhe 2xXP weekends, it's already way too easy to level in this game and there's really too many people that reach 50 without understanding how to play PvE in a group or do warzones. The more you simplifie leveling, the less people understand their class, their role and how to behave in a group.

People level for lvl 10 to 50 doing flashpoints and still are oblivious as far as their role goes. Same for PvP.

But there are lots of people coming from other MMOs who know exactly what to do and/or are quick learners of new mechanics. They want to get to lvl 50 asap and I can't blame them - it gets tedious on your 5th+ alt.

That has nothing to do with how "easy" it is to level in this game. It has to do with the mentality of the player.

I have yet to play a game that I did not consider it "easy" to level up in. If I had found a game like what you describe when I first started playing MMO's back in 2005, I would not be playing them today. I'm not in to beating myself up and getting stuck with time sinks. I will stay with a game if it is fun, not if it takes forever to get a single character to max level.

I don't even use the power level technique but this post is just pure bullocks.

The whole "people need to sweat, bleed and stumble" their way to 50 is just a talking point people use to feel special. It's just like when people complain about how hard they had it but no one else has to hard. The more 50s the game has the better we all are.

The leveling process does very little to force ANYONE to understand their class. Need I remind you the leveling process does NOT force you to group. It does NOT force you into flashpoints and it does NOT force anyone to play their class "properly".

The whole, "I want to feel special because I'm 50" attitude needs to end.

tl;dr

QFT...

OP you have Snowflake syndrome much? Or just a need to dictate to everyone else how to play the game? :rolleyes:

Edited by BaronV

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

Don't you guys think they are formulating the response already?

Seriously, these guys aren't stupid. They'll say something when a decision is finalized.

Such a silly argument.

#1 this game is not very hard to begin with

#2 almost every healer that I know & most tanks leveled as a DPS. If they are competent gamers they do just fine in their end game roles.

The whole "people need to sweat, bleed and stumble" their way to 50 is just a talking point people use to feel special. It's just like when people complain about how hard they had it but no one else has to hard. The more 50s the game has the better we all are.

The leveling process does very little to force ANYONE to understand their class. Need I remind you the leveling process does NOT force you to group. It does NOT force you into flashpoints and it does NOT force anyone to play their class "properly".

If someone choose to miss out on the story then that is there pregataive. Honestly I did this in COH when there added architect to the game. Skipping to 50 gives you less to do.

Sorry OP... You are looking for a response, not me. It is not a detriment to the game IMO, and hardly worth mentioning in the long list of issues that need attention.

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be why do you care? This is not a snide retort, but a genuine question. Their leveling does not infringe on your gaming experience. Fresh 50s are not detrimental to the game, in fact they are necessary. And... most players looking to power level now know the game and the mechanics. Getting to 50 is no longer a learning process.

Edited by Rafaman

Haha my apologies if I came across as "I've done it, now I don't want others to have it". Maybe there's a hint of that there, but I think everyone feels a small sense of pride with the number of 50s you have, regardless of whether you brag about it or how small that sense of pride is. It's something you earned.

My main contention was with the fact that it doesn't appear to be a legitimate way of leveling, with the number of 'hoops' you have to jump through and the special confluence of factors that allow for this method. I felt a little dirty grinding this way and it certainly felt like an exploit.

I'd still like a yellow response though If it turns out that this is all working as intended, then hey, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Thanks for your replies though. Acerbic, but polite. I can deal with that :)

to many threads about this.. so many tears .. im lucky that im on a boat.. safe from all the asperger tears...

this "practice" brought more peopel together than the WB runs.. lol

i enjoyed it for a short time because i didnt know about it from the start.

Yeah, I mean, I waited on an official response because I would hate to do this and then have an official BW response take it away from me in case people got to whining - but if they say it's okay, I can tell you what I'll be doing with my low level Imp toons this weekend. I mean, imagine getting to play the Agent story WITHOUT having to do any of that nonsense in between? That's what I call getting your money's worth!

I'm glad I didn't know about this. I would have probably taken advantage if I'd known about it and probably regretted it. Seeing how seldom I play my 50 now, no reason to rush another one to get there. I for one actually enjoy the questing in the game... but maybe that's just me.

yeah, i mean, i waited on an official response because i would hate to do this and then have an official bw response take it away from me in case people got to whining - but if they say it's okay, i can tell you what i'll be doing with my low level imp toons this weekend. I mean, imagine getting to play the agent story without having to do any of that nonsense in between? That's what i call getting your money's worth!

this!

I'm glad I didn't know about this. I would have probably taken advantage if I'd known about it and probably regretted it. Seeing how seldom I play my 50 now, no reason to rush another one to get there. I for one actually enjoy the questing in the game... but maybe that's just me.

I thought about this... and if you add it all up, after grinding for 15 hours you'd still have to do your class quests, grab datacrons and do your companion quests to be on par with a quested 50.

When you mash everything together I reckon you'd take slightly less time than a regular toon to hit 50.

Yeah, I mean, I waited on an official response because I would hate to do this and then have an official BW response take it away from me in case people got to whining - but if they say it's okay, I can tell you what I'll be doing with my low level Imp toons this weekend. I mean, imagine getting to play the Agent story WITHOUT having to do any of that nonsense in between? That's what I call getting your money's worth!

And that's why I leveled my sniper! :)

People level for lvl 10 to 50 doing flashpoints and still are oblivious as far as their role goes. Same for PvP.

Yes, thoses that will never learn. So what ? Is it a good idea to let them level to 50 even faster ? Is it a good idea to lure people that CAN learn into a mindless leveling ?

But there are lots of people coming from other MMOs who know exactly what to do and/or are quick learners of new mechanics. They want to get to lvl 50 asap and I can't blame them - it gets tedious on your 5th+ alt.

People with a lot of MMO experience or of this game only already know it's superfast to level. They are probably suscribers and know how you overlevel if you do everything so they can pick and choose what they want to do to level the fastest/the most fun way.

That has nothing to do with how "easy" it is to level in this game. It has to do with the mentality of the player.

It has for a part to do with the difficulty of the game. When there's no challenge, there's no reason to learn to play better. If it's easier to level in Ilum, less people will learn to play.

I have yet to play a game that I did not consider it "easy" to level up in. If I had found a game like what you describe when I first started playing MMO's back in 2005, I would not be playing them today. I'm not in to beating myself up and getting stuck with time sinks. I will stay with a game if it is fun, not if it takes forever to get a single character to max level.

Of course, most games are "easy", they are made to attract a wide range of people, from the clueless people to the most experienced ones. If the curve is too step or if there's a wall somewhere in the learning curve, only the best/most dedicated ones continue to play. At same time, everyone learned something playing MMOs, even though many people forget it.

And btw it doesn't take "forever" to level to 50 without Ilum and the double XP.

No it's not just a talking point, you weren't as good the first time you played a MMO than now. You learned, you progressed. You didn't wait afk on a map and became as good as you are now.

I know and never said it was a good idea. The thing is, most people choose the easiest way. As it's more easy to level on Ilum, more people will do it, less people will see the offered oppotunities to play better/ in group.

Dunno what you are talking about as it's not an achievement at all.

It's kinda strange, lots of people seem to forget that they were newbie once, that they didn't learn all the standard MMO grouping behavior instantly. Leveling teach players some things, it's not just a timeskink.

I also find people really strange as consumers. Some feel like the leveling is not entertaining enough and instead of asking Bioware to make it better, they ask for some ways to skip it then when they are 50, they say that gearing is not entertaining enough and ask for some ways to do it faster... they do the newest content in a few weeks than complain for months they have nothing to do, damn crazy people...