New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

kdebones

To the points of Docking; realistically it's not that hard of a job, it just takes time and effort. For the Fleet, as said before that's gone thru many changes already. As for space ports, you could overlay elevators (aka, make one elevator for Operatives and Troopers) since each classes hanger is a separate instance and not connected like with the Fleet.

As for the VA portion, if a new class were implemented chances are it would only be for expansions (since it would involve so much work).

Update Log:

- Added in potential starting zone

Does not matter if it is an expansion. It's a ton of extra work that just increases work load everytime they want to extend the class stories. Unless they do a hero cls thing and have them start out at a higher level with a much shorter story, which would kinda violate their story focus on the game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change Log:

- Added in Weapon Set for Base and Advance Classes

- Modified Recommended Stats

SOOOOO happy with the change to the weapon because now this creates a non-existant armor category that can be specially created for this class, aka armor that has Strength and Cunning on it. Stupid mad props to Bankingclan for the image of the Riot Trooper which I think is from the Force Unleashed games (I never played them, or, tried and couldn't get past Level 2 >.<)

I had an idea that maybe one of the dps trees could be based around the electro staff and be a kind of 'tanky/more resilient' (for wants of better words) type of dps based around control and debuffing. It would be mainly designed for solo leveling/ pvp and would consist of strongly debuffing your target (in return these abilities deal a little less damage). Essentialy it would consist of stacking up your debuffs - i.e movement impairment (shock/stun, an accuracy impairment (pepperspray) and an attack speed impairment (staff-bash?) among others. - to beat your enemies into submission. In pve it could work well in long term fights when you can maintain your domination. Where it would lack is in resource management and fight openers, when a player would have to rely on resilience before they can really stack things up against a player. My imagination of this is like a riot trooper storming in, taking a bit of a beating, and just withering angry mobsters down.

However I think this idea is similar to the rage warrior(Im not so sure, any insentive from a warrior/knight would be appreciated.)That could be a downside. Also, balancing could become an issue if the class ended up with too much survivability, thoughts?

Also, for the republic mirror, maybe a kind of 'enforcer' type person? the story would revolve around keeping the streets of coruscant safe (same kind of starting area) by controling crime and protecting people. Eventually you will be called into other planets because resources are spread thin (the war) and will uncover gangster cnspiracies etc. A possible later act could consist of the republic being so desperate as to put you into the war, when suddenly things become different...

Again, just brainstorming. I love your idea andust wanted to offer some kind of input to it :D .

Loving this thread, really only replying so I can subscribe to it lol. As for whether or not BioWare would do it, I certainly hope so. It would be the kind of thing you do in a big expansion. They've already confirmed they're adding new species at some point so why not new classes!! As for the armor for this class, it's gotta look good on female toons for us female gamers. Some of the heavy trooperish armor in game now is hideous on female characters, even some of the heavy Jedi Guardian stuff is kinda meh. Edited by Leiloni

Loving this thread, really only replying so I can subscribe to it lol. As for whether or not BioWare would do it, I certainly hope so. It would be the kind of thing you do in a big expansion. They've already confirmed they're adding new species at some point so why not new classes!! As for the armor for this class, it's gotta look good on female toons for us female gamers. Some of the heavy trooperish armor in game now is hideous on female characters, even some of the heavy Jedi Guardian stuff is kinda meh.

Right, bikini plate armor. Got it:cool:

Now, as for the idea behind the Riot Guard AC, the picture I want people to imagine is they burst into a room, shrug off a few pistol shots, and literally smash someones face in with their weapon (originally shoot a hole thru their head, but now with the electrostaff, he jams it into their face and watch the body convulse). Now, as for as the DPS Class, I want to center it around the fact your using an Electrostaff, not a light saber, not a blaster; no, a gosh darn Electrostaff. Let me give an example of an ability i've been thinking of:

Overcharge - You overcharge the power on your weapon for a few seconds to cause your weapon to shock your foe into submission.

Applies a DoT on attack that deals damage and lowers the target Alacrity and Movement Speed by 5%. Reapplies on successful attack up to five Stacks Wears off after 5 seconds.

Cooldown: 20-30 Seconds

What I'm trying to aim for with this is an Anti-Caster/Channel ability. While it's main function is to do damage over time, it would also have the secondary effect of slowing casts and cause channeling abilities to take much longer. For example, if you have an ability that takes 4 seconds to channel, it'll take 5 at max stacks; a full second can be the difference between life and death! The MS portion is to make up for the fact that against, say, a Marauder or Juggernaut, who don't rely specifically on casting abilities.

The Riot Guards are meant to Contain the situation, usually thru violence ;)

Note: This may not be my best example. Sorry :(

Edited by kdebones

This is an aside to your class idea, but I thought I'd throw it in here:

I know having companions kind of makes "pet" classes a bit obsolete. But, there is room for them in the game I think. Many class abilities show a droid being summoned to heal or pulse fire or explode or what have you for a short period of time. This idea could be incorporated into a sort of DOT oriented pet class. Sticking with the mirrored class necessity I could envision one utilizing droids and the other beasts - bringing back a taste of the original SW MMO beast handler.

This is an aside to your class idea, but I thought I'd throw it in here:

I know having companions kind of makes "pet" classes a bit obsolete. But, there is room for them in the game I think. Many class abilities show a droid being summoned to heal or pulse fire or explode or what have you for a short period of time. This idea could be incorporated into a sort of DOT oriented pet class. Sticking with the mirrored class necessity I could envision one utilizing droids and the other beasts - bringing back a taste of the original SW MMO beast handler.

While I can see where your going with this, I doubt that'll ever be the case with SWTOR; Companions basically fill the pet role, and when in a group, you do your job. I think just based on the way the game has been made/presented that pet class won't be realistic. Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see an Akk Dog as a companion <3

While I can see where your going with this, I doubt that'll ever be the case with SWTOR; Companions basically fill the pet role, and when in a group, you do your job. I think just based on the way the game has been made/presented that pet class won't be realistic. Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see an Akk Dog as a companion <3

Akk Dog as companion would be epic win. It'd be like Urz from Mass Effect, except he could follow you around offworld :cool:

Been messing around with the specific details and/or purpose of the classes:

-Grit: Focus on the hard-skinned, tough SOB under the plate armor. Has more AoE related forms of attention grabbing then other classes (basic attack will Cleave, Spins around hitting all targets, etc)

-Confinement: A class I'm starting to really like the vision off, because I think it's arguable at this point that this can be considered a DPS/Support in that it's like the Grit RT's back-up that's holding the taser. Compared to Onslaught, they won't have as high DPS, but they make up for it with more debuffs then the usual DPS Class (i.e. Damaging abilities that lower stats, non-CC Debuffs)

-Onslaught: The shared, pure DPS tree for both AC. I don't think I need to really go into detail since it's just a tree that implements abilities of the base class.

-Bioware: The Support AC, the one that I want to be a bit of a mold breaker. It will still have heals, but in the form of like one or two less-then-impressive HoT that you can pop for the sake of "supporting" your healer. The main focus of the class is to work as a team buffer; you would have access to buffs that can range from 10 seconds with a long cooldown (think how Adrenaline works) to re-applying buffs that increase damage/healing output.

-Cyberware: This is the "Tech Caster" tree, in that your literally a spell caster that scales off Tech Power. Don't think that means you won't still be in the nitty gritty melee, because while firing a space laser on an area would be nifty, Cyberware Technicians would benefit more from being in melee range (though they could be farther away). They will gain a percentage buff named "Perception" that increases the closer you get to the target, since they would be able to see "...the Flaw in the Design". This would also give incentive to use Melee-Ranged abilities that are common to the base class.

Update Log:

-Edited Idea Section

Edited by kdebones

For the Bioware I would suggest one of those two "less than impressive" heals be a direct heal. If they're using it for support purposes, then a direct heal would allow the BW to help the main healer during extra damage or something where I think they'd need the most help. I'm not sure a HoT would be all that useful.

And they need to implement that Suggestion forum already.

For the Bioware I would suggest one of those two "less than impressive" heals be a direct heal. If they're using it for support purposes, then a direct heal would allow the BW to help the main healer during extra damage or something where I think they'd need the most help. I'm not sure a HoT would be all that useful.

And they need to implement that Suggestion forum already.

I do agree, a normal heal would probably be in there, but it should have a very "clutch" feel to it. Like, with current healing, it's very sustained (your at 80%, I heal you for like 15% and you get down to around 70% while I'm casting so you end up with 85% (or something to this degree). What I want to see is a long CD, big heal that they can pop like a Sith Immortal Juggernaut "Invincible" Ability. Like, for an example:

Biological Nano-Surgery- You send out a swarm of nanobots into the targets bloodstream to heal them for ???% (like, 20-25%) of their max HP

Cast Time: 3.5 Seconds

Cooldown: 2-5 Minutes

The reason I want to see a Clutch Heal is because if you have a sustained heal like Dark Infusion or Kolto Injection, it's makes you fill the "Healer" role more then "Support". With this, if your in a Flashpoint or Operation and the boss is about to unload on you with some big attack and your no one can interrupt, tanks gana die, and healer can't save him, THAT'S when you pop it.

Edited by kdebones

Looks like things are coming along nicely, I needed to post to rate the thread. Ill let you now if I have any more ideas to input :D .

ROFL that's what I just did two posts above. There was no rate yet and I wanted it to stand out so people would come read it!

Looks like things are coming along nicely, I needed to post to rate the thread. Ill let you now if I have any more ideas to input :D .

Gracias Jawa-san. Any promotion for this thread is greatly appreciated, especially word of mouth... well.. uh.... text really :confused: SEMANTICS

ROFL that's what I just did two posts above. There was no rate yet and I wanted it to stand out so people would come read it!

Nothing funny I can say about you. Sorry, your avatar looks normal... SQUARE HEAD!

Edited by kdebones

I do agree, a normal heal would probably be in there, but it should have a very "clutch" feel to it. Like, with current healing, it's very sustained (your at 80%, I heal you for like 15% and you get down to around 70% while I'm casting so you end up with 85% (or something to this degree). What I want to see is a long CD, big heal that they can pop like a Sith Immortal Juggernaut "Invincible" Ability. Like, for an example:

Biological Nano-Surgery- You send out a swarm of nanobots into the targets bloodstream to heal them for ???% (like, 20-25%) of their max HP

Cast Time: 3.5 Seconds

Cooldown: 2 Minutes

The reason I want to see a Clutch Heal is because if you have a sustained heal like Dark Infusion or Kolto Injection, it's makes you fill the "Healer" role more then "Support". With this, if your in a Flashpoint or Operation and the boss is about to unload on you with some big attack and your no one can interrupt, tanks gana die, and healer can't save him, THAT'S when you pop it.

Yea I agree, it can't be a reliable heal you use all the time. It's got to have some downfall to it to force them to only use it situationally.

Yea I agree, it can't be a reliable heal you use all the time. It's got to have some downfall to it to force them to only use it situationally.

Hench why I put the long CD on it, though, it could really be anywhere between 2-5 Min CD (nothing like those 20min thing @_@)

Edited by kdebones

Apparently they just added a suggestion forum, like minutes after I posted above that we need it lol. http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Hmmmm... I suppose it would be optimal to move the thread.... maybe we should wait for the ZOMG IT IS SUGGESTION BOX ME HAVE IDEA frenzy to die down, so that we dont get pushed down in the pages?

Hmmmm... I suppose it would be optimal to move the thread.... maybe we should wait for the ZOMG IT IS SUGGESTION BOX ME HAVE IDEA frenzy to die down, so that we dont get pushed down in the pages?

Mmm, good idea. We'll still have to so some rating and shameless bumping to keep it at the top though!

Yeah, I think it's better we let the Suggestion Forum die down a bit (a few days or so) and then see if I can get a Mod or someone to move this over. In the mean time, while I have a book to read over the weekend and need to finish learning the Neverwinter Nights Toolset tools, I'm going to see if I can't come up with the Base Class abilities. I have a fair understanding of what it's going to entail, but I still have to look and compare it to the existing classes Base Abilities. We'll see how it goes from there.

Also, would it be easier to navigate or would it be less impressive if I were to put separate everything into spoiler boxes? I mean, it would help with the clutter, but overall I've had people be less interested with the lack of information overload.

Edited by kdebones

The Idea - Trooper: Pretty much, the one thing we don't really see on the Imperial side are the Troopers; sure, they're great quest givers, but it's usually "Oh my men got killed!" or "Oh it'll take a whole platoon!" No. Look at the Commando on the Republic side. They're pretty gosh darn kick-*** aren't they? Why are our guys just cannon fodder? That doesn't sit well with me or the men and woman out there getting one shot by punks with lightsabers!

I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but conceptually, the non-force classes are opposite mirrors of each other.

The Trooper's position is analogous to the Agent - the best of the best, high ranking, afforded high operational freedom within the military command structure, etc.

Sure, the Agent is more of a spy, and the Trooper is more of a soldier, but effectively they're both Spec Ops.

On the flip-side, the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler have a lot of similarities. Both flirt with the criminal element, both exist outside the formal structures of their faction, both value freedom and credits over everything else, etc. etc.

Just saying :)

Yeah, I think it's better we let the Suggestion Forum die down a bit (a few days or so) and then see if I can get a Mod or someone to move this over. In the mean time, while I have a book to read over the weekend and need to finish learning the Neverwinter Nights Toolset tools, I'm going to see if I can't come up with the Base Class abilities. I have a fair understanding of what it's going to entail, but I still have to look and compare it to the existing classes Base Abilities. We'll see how it goes from there.

A couple of ideas:

pepper spray - accuracy debuff, short range. Branches into the confinement tree when you can maybe get a talent to give it/increase its damage. For the technician, there would be oportunities to buff the acurracy drop, kind of an OH CRAP button. If not, they can take this off their hotbar.

Thrust - moderate damage that provides a moderate damage debuff effect, again technicians dont really benefit from this later on, although I suppose they could have it buffed from say melee range to 10 yds? Riot guards can make use of this. Average type cooldown, to pop when the bleed wears off or when some extra damage is needed to finish someone off.

Teargas probe - a casted spell that later becomes instant to riot troopers as their kind of 'ranged damage-like force push, saber throw etc'. Sends out a probe with a dot that does more damage the more debuffs you have on the target, when it is cast it transforms into teargas detonation, a high damage attack with a small stun that pops an otherwise non existant cooldown on the ability (obviously a good tactic would be to detonate when the dot was about to run out). This gives people a choice, whether to go for burst damage or sustained damage over time. It becomes a good spell for both ACs later on, although many riot guards may prefer to use the electrostaff a lot more than tech?

Taze - Essentially the CC of the imperial trooper, a tazer dart is fired from the front of the staff and gives a stun lasting for about 30-40 seconds. Short casting time.

YAY brainstorming!

I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but conceptually, the non-force classes are opposite mirrors of each other.

The Trooper's position is analogous to the Agent - the best of the best, high ranking, afforded high operational freedom within the military command structure, etc.

Sure, the Agent is more of a spy, and the Trooper is more of a soldier, but effectively they're both Spec Ops.

On the flip-side, the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler have a lot of similarities. Both flirt with the criminal element, both exist outside the formal structures of their faction, both value freedom and credits over everything else, etc. etc.

Just saying :)

I had an idea that the republic mirror would be a kind of police officer/ law enforcement person, I posted about it on page 3 I think. :)

Do you like the ideas that have come up other than this so far though? Any support is appreciated.

A couple of ideas:

pepper spray - accuracy debuff, short range. Branches into the confinement tree when you can maybe get a talent to give it/increase its damage. For the technician, there would be oportunities to buff the acurracy drop, kind of an OH CRAP button. If not, they can take this off their hotbar.

Thrust - moderate damage that provides a moderate damage debuff effect, again technicians dont really benefit from this later on, although I suppose they could have it buffed from say melee range to 10 yds? Riot guards can make use of this. Average type cooldown, to pop when the bleed wears off or when some extra damage is needed to finish someone off.

Teargas probe - a casted spell that later becomes instant to riot troopers as their kind of 'ranged damage-like force push, saber throw etc'. Sends out a probe with a dot that does more damage the more debuffs you have on the target, when it is cast it transforms into teargas detonation, a high damage attack with a small stun that pops an otherwise non existant cooldown on the ability (obviously a good tactic would be to detonate when the dot was about to run out). This gives people a choice, whether to go for burst damage or sustained damage over time. It becomes a good spell for both ACs later on, although many riot guards may prefer to use the electrostaff a lot more than tech?

Taze - Essentially the CC of the imperial trooper, a tazer dart is fired from the front of the staff and gives a stun lasting for about 30-40 seconds. Short casting time.

YAY brainstorming!

Still coming up with the ideas, but just about everything you said are on the block to be incorporated (at least in the first 10 levels-ish).

As to what Bobudo said, I don't really see it that way. The Imperial Agent is far from the Troopers position. The Trooper can (and probably does) go up to being a General. The Agent is behind the scenes influencing the battle. The Trooper has a Rank, the Agent is a shadow in the darkness that no one is supposed to see. It's far from being analogues. And if it's an issue of "No counter-class" well no duh, that has to be designed with this; and as Banking said, the idea of an Law Enforcement-type of class who goes about and does the dirty work (possibly SIS related) for the Republic is the most probably counter-class, branching off into "Enforcer" and "Engineer"

ENOUGH THEORY CRAFTING I WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE AND LIGHT SABER GUYS!!!!

Edited by kdebones

The Trooper has a Rank, the Agent is a shadow in the darkness that no one is supposed to see.

That's actually always true.

The Agent is repeatedly referred to by military personnel as an officer - though I don't recall whether or not this is true after the designation of Cipher.

But there are several times where the Cipher is expected to be overt. During Act 1, Keeper tells the Agent to use his position within Imperial Intelligence to scare the Imperials and achieve his objectives.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that Spies and Spec Ops are different, I'm just saying that there are some significant similarities as well.