Don’t Call Them Ruth-Less: Tales of Wynston and Quinn

bright_ephemera

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I don't plan for every single fanfic storyline of mine to evolve into "humorous stories about torturing Quinn." It just keeps coming out that way. :D

Anyway, I love feedback on individual highlight lines, since it helps me pinpoint stylistic things to keep in mind. But, in any case, I'm glad you're enjoying!

Because I find you hilarious... here're the lines I laughed hard at:

“You’re working on the verbal equivalent of beating my existing head injury with a heavy blunt object, you cyanotic wretch.”

“You’re not people. I don’t have to be tactful.”

Quinn is people. Robot people, but people. LOL

“I just think you should consider filling your spare time with something less…mopey. Have you considered a hobby? Fly fishing, pazaak, h00kers, alcoholism?”

Quinn turned, very slowly, to give Wynston the angriest disbelieving look he could manage.

“What? It helps.”

Wynston is such a jerk, lol.

“Go to hell.”

“Quinn, I find myself in a galaxy where I can no longer command female attention at will. If that isn’t hell, I don’t know what is.”

Quinn, for no reason Wynston could intuitively sympathize with, threw up his hands and stalked away.

XD Always love a good Quinn storm off!

“That was the theory. But even the leprous Houk got a girl or two pining from afar for no evident reason.”

“You must be joking.”

“So get a hobby. Lighten up. Ditch the brooding. I really think it’ll make the difference.”

“Go to hell.”

“Quinn, I find myself in a galaxy where I can no longer command female attention at will. If that isn’t hell, I don’t know what is.”

I seriously giggled, and my husband looked at me weird when I read this. I felt kinda guilty laughing, poor Quinn...lol.

Oh, also, fun fact: For quite some time my mental Ruth timeline involved Wynston getting himself killed on one job or another within five years of the end of the game line. When I started RMC, Wynston was not in my mental model of the galaxy. I just figured a guy like this can't possibly last long in work like this.

Way to talk me out of that plan, Wynston.

Oh, also, fun fact: For quite some time my mental Ruth timeline involved Wynston getting himself killed on one job or another within five years of the end of the game line. When I started RMC, Wynston was not in my mental model of the galaxy. I just figured a guy like this can't possibly last long in work like this.

Way to talk me out of that plan, Wynston.

Knew he was a jerk. :p

February, 29 ATC: Narrow Escape

The op went perfectly until Wynston discovered that he had miscounted the terrorists.

Quinn and Wynston had rigged the safehouse and its dangerous contents to blow sky-high, out here in a half-abandoned industrial district where nobody would get hurt. They had split up in the interest of covering more ground faster; they dispatched enemy thugs as they went, and Wynston had thought he was clear by the time he armed the last batch of explosives, started the timer, and yelled for Quinn to start the countdown on his side.

He thought he was clear, but a surprise vibroknife under the arm proved him wrong.

The fight was short and embarrassing; Wynston couldn't even bring his blaster to bear against his knife-wielding opponent. The man stabbed him again, threw him to the floor, crushed his ankle in one full-weight stomp, and ran for it.

The countdown on the explosives was running. "Quinn!" yelled Wynston, knowing that if the man had any sense he was already out of the building. Wynston felt blood pumping out from under his left arm, but this wasn't the time to worry about that. He still had one good leg, and that was what mattered. He started a weird bobbing trot, full sprint power with his good leg, a pained combination of leaning on the wall and pushing along with his bad leg.

Quinn came around the corner from the direction Wynston's attacker had appeared in. The dark-haired man scanned the hall, holstered his blaster, grabbed Wynston's support arm to pull around his own shoulders, and started off at a pace that half suggested he didn't realize he was dragging an extra three-quarters of his body mass with him. Not quite dragging; Wynston did what he could.

They passed the body of Wynston's attacker and got out of the building. Rather try to make the distance to safety over clear ground, Quinn located a sunken bulkhead by a nearby building, let Wynston down on the stairs, and darted back up to secure the door only seconds before an earth-shaking rumble indicated that their target was going up. Wynston pulled out a medpac. His ankle was throbbing. His left side didn't feel like much, except wet and very warm.

He handled his supplies in the pitch dark; he was familiar enough with his medical kit. It was Quinn who brought up a bright hand lamp.

"Some people don't call the explosives countdown while they're bleeding out," Quinn said irritably.

"Yes, well. I had a surprise change of plans immediately after calling it. I like to liven things up sometimes."

Quinn watched Wynston dabbing under his arm with the antiseptic. "You're missing the worst of it. Here. Keep your arm up." He moved in to do the cleanup himself. "You're lucky I was too principled to just leave you back there."

"Inconvenient sometimes, being a hero, hm?"

"You wouldn't know."

"Quinn, you wound me. Didn't we clear out a superweapon that would've annihilated five billion people last week?"

"We weren't heroic about it."

"You're only saying that because you think you have to take the stage and do some smug victory thing to make it count as a real operation. True heroes aren't above sneaking through the sewers, hiding for a while, shivving the problem, and sneaking back out without thought of reward."

"Monologuing is its own reward." Then Quinn coughed. "I mean, service. Service is its own reward."

"Service. Uh-huh. But the public recognition that comes with a good stage performance really helps, by your lights. You have no respect for the skulking aspects of our chosen career."

"How's your ankle?"

"Not as bad as my side."

"Your side is patching up easily. How's your ankle?"

"Thoroughly crunched. I'm not sure we can properly line up the remnants without a medbay. I'll wrap it for now. Worry about it when we get back to the ship."

Quinn nodded sharply and finished taping something over the covered, pleasantly half-numbed wound in Wynston's side. "You can drop your arm." He retreated across the narrow stairs, pulled up his own jacket and shirt, and started tending to a damp black mark on his torso.

"Bugger. You got hit?"

"That would be the logical conclusion to draw here," grumbled Quinn as he worked.

"You should've said something."

Quinn scowled. "Where I'm from, severed arteries are considered higher priority than blaster burns."

"Where you're from, Mister Dromund Kaas, severed arteries are considered acceptable on the grounds that if you weren't fast or smart enough to avoid it yourself, you probably had it coming."

"That's...actually a very good point. I hadn't thought of it that way."

"Anyway, I'll check the door. Things should've settled by now, I'll wager we're clear to go."

Wynston, after a moment's effort, pushed the bulkhead open, dislodging a couple of metal sheets that had come to rest against it. The house they had rigged was gone, and with it the materials the terrorists had planned on using for much larger-scale destruction.

Quinn came up beside him. "Mission accomplished."

"Looks like it. Time to go home." Wynston touched his side, looked up at Quinn. "Thanks, by the way."

Quinn sneered. "Don't think this makes us friends."

"Friends? Please. At no point in this operation did I hit my head that hard." Wynston started walking, doing his best not to look like he was limping on the tightly bandaged ankle. "All the same. I'll see if I can find us a mission that'll let you speechify a bit."

Edited by bright_ephemera

"Some people don't call the explosives countdown while they're bleeding out," Quinn said irritably.

"Yes, well. I had a surprise change of plans immediately after calling it. I like to liven things up sometimes."

Quinn watched Wynston dabbing under his arm with the antiseptic. "You're missing the worst of it. Here. Keep your arm up." He moved in to do the cleanup himself. "You're lucky I was too principled to just leave you back there."

"Inconvenient sometimes, being a hero, hm?"

"You wouldn't know."

The bickering between these two is awesome.

"Monologuing is its own reward." Then Quinn coughed. "I mean, service. Service is its own reward."

Quinn in a nutshell, lol.

Quinn scowled. "Where I'm from, severed arteries are considered higher priority than blaster burns."

"Where you're from, Mister Dromund Kaas, severed arteries are considered acceptable on the grounds that if you weren't fast or smart enough to avoid it yourself, you probably had it coming."

"That's...actually a very good point. I hadn't thought of it that way."

Heeheee, Mister Dromund Kaas...

"Looks like it. Time to go home." Wynston touched his side, looked up at Quinn. "Thanks, by the way."

Quinn sneered. "Don't think this makes us friends."

"Friends? Please. At no point in this operation did I hit my head that hard." Wynston started walking, doing his best not to look like he was limping on the tightly bandaged ankle. "All the same. I'll see if I can find us a mission that'll let you speechify a bit."

Whoohooo, speechification!

Hmm... I really need a reason for Quinn and Wynston to make out. I really do. Then they can have that whole awkward "It was for the mission thing." Then as they walk away, they each look back when the other one isn't looking.

ehehee I'm sorry. I'll stop.

Hmm... I really need a reason for Quinn and Wynston to make out. I really do. Then they can have that whole awkward "It was for the mission thing." Then as they walk away, they each look back when the other one isn't looking.

And now you have to draw this. :D

Also you're evil.....I whole heartily endorse this idea.

You people are terrible! And this is horribly tempting. But I'm trying to have at least one player character who doesn't get to sleep with Quinn. I feel somehow that I can keep a little self-respect if I do that. :p

My brain's been awful about victory-speech situations lately. I'll have to find something for poor Quinn to do before the stealth operations drive him into the wretched, wretched depression of career frustration.

January, 29 ATC: Wynston and the Sith

"Agent Wynston. There's an interesting mission on this week's list."

"Oh, getting what we want out of that Darth? A little delicate, but in the end it's basic social engineering."

"Yes, and since it's a Sith I think I can take it solo."

Wynston's brow wrinkled. "I was going to take care of it. It's no trouble."

Quinn gave Wynston his signature critical look. "You're the worst-qualified liaison to the Sith I have ever met."

"No, I'm not. You've met Vette."

"You're the worst qualified one here, then."

"I can deal with Sith just fine."

"You practically dare every Sith you've ever met to kill you."

"That's not true."

"Let's take your behavior with the female Sith of the galaxy. Have you met one female Sith Lord that you didn't immediately proposition?"

Wynston scoffed. "Of course I have."

"Who?"

There was a long pause.

"Well?"

"Hold on, I'm thinking. Darth Lachris I did. That incredibly disagreeable woman on Nar Shaddaa, definitely. Thana Vesh I didn't succeed with, but I did try. Darth Zhorrid, same."

"Darth Zhorrid?"

"Yes."

"The Darth Zhorrid? You went after The Darth Zhorrid?"

"It's complicated."

"I fail to see what's complicated in 'see woman, compulsively request sex with woman.'"

"All right, so maybe it wasn't very complicated."

"And your record with your own sex is, if anything, worse. Didn't you spend a month in an infirmary getting your brain pieced back together after you refused to kneel to some Dark Council member?"

"Well, yes, but he was an unusually angry one."

"And I believe it's on record that a Chiss of your description located the Dread Masters imprisoned on Belsavis and, rather than freeing them, told them to, quote, 'shove off,' informed them that, quote, 'the galaxy is better off without filth like them,' and then - again, rather than freeing these extraordinarily powerful Sith as ordered - you double-reinforced their cells, collapsed the cell block entrance, and left again."

"I didn't realize anybody had records of that."

"And then there was that time you decided it wasn't necessary to kneel to the Voice of the Emperor because you hadn't seen his credentials."

"He let me off the hook."

"Only because Ruth jumped in to intercede on your behalf."

"Ruth! That's it!"

"That's what?"

"Sith Lord I didn't try to sleep with."

"That is the most stunningly shameless falsehood I have ever heard you utter, agent, and that's saying something."

"She wasn't a Sith Lord when we got involved. I didn't try after she became a Sith Lord. So from a certain point of view, she meets the qualifications you named."

"The point is," huffed Quinn, "I would send a circus clown to deal with a Darth before I got desperate enough to send you. Let me handle it. I'm ideal for this sort of thing: quick, obedient, and thoroughly forgettable."

There was a pause.

Quinn's manner dropped several degrees colder.

Wynston scuffed the floor with one foot. "You will kill me if I make the joke I'm thinking of. Won't you."

"Yes, I imagine I will."

"'That's what she said' jokes will be unsafe for quite a while. Won't they."

"Yes, I imagine they will be." Quinn smiled sourly. "If you showed a tenth this much discretion with Sith Lords, I wouldn't be so concerned about your ability to carry out the mission."

"If Sith Lords were a tenth as scary as you when you think someone's disrespecting your wife, I would take a knee and obey with the best of 'em."

Quinn showed his teeth. "You're too kind. Now please, let me handle the Sith. Take the opportunity to go do a task more suited to your...inclinations. You know, while I'm not there to draw female attention."

"Oh, well, why didn't you put it that way in the first place?" said Wynston. "The Sith's all yours."

January, 29 ATC: Wynston and the Sith

This is one of the funniest ones yet, imo.

And now you have to draw this. :D

I second this. ;)

Incidentally, here are a couple of shots from Wynston's youth (age 27, timelines 1 and 2 of Ruth Means Compassion), along with a preview of what he might look like (sans disguise generator) at the start of this story (age 44, just after timeline 3). If I could overlay some of the raised cut scars on image #3's burn scar, he would have some of both.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-08-16_19_31_23_694086_crop_resize.jpghttp://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-08-16_19_31_05_099022_crop_resize.jpg

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-08-16_18_23_42_399116_crop_resize.jpg

EDIT: Plus, gelling it up to mock Quinn's haircut. As long as he is wearing this, he is mimicking Quinn's speech patterns and mannerisms and snickering a lot. Again, needs more scars.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/Misc%20SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-08-16_18_24_49_699966_crop_resize.jpg

You people are terrible! And this is horribly tempting. But I'm trying to have at least one player character who doesn't get to sleep with Quinn. I feel somehow that I can keep a little self-respect if I do that. :p

ow... i didn't see this post... heh heh uhh ya don't look at my art thread <_< >_> :jawa_angel:.

Edited by kabeone

Quinn gave Wynston his signature critical look. "You're the worst-qualified liaison to the Sith I have ever met."

"No, I'm not. You've met Vette."

"You're the worst qualified one here, then."

Their back and forth makes my day sometimes.

"Let's take your behavior with the female Sith of the galaxy. Have you met one female Sith Lord that you didn't immediately proposition?"

-snip-

"Hold on, I'm thinking. Darth Lachris I did. That incredibly disagreeable woman on Nar Shaddaa, definitely. Thana Vesh I didn't succeed with, but I did try. Darth Zhorrid, same."

"Darth Zhorrid?"

"Yes."

"The Darth Zhorrid? You went after The Darth Zhorrid?"

"It's complicated."

"I fail to see what's complicated in 'see woman, compulsively request sex with woman.'"

"All right, so maybe it wasn't very complicated."

Oh, God, there was an option to... so glad I have a female agent... lol

"And your record with your own sex is, if anything, worse. Didn't you spend a month in an infirmary getting your brain pieced back together after you refused to kneel to some Dark Council member?"

"Well, yes, but he was an unusually angry one."

That guy was a butt anyway...

"The point is," huffed Quinn, "I would send a circus clown to deal with a Darth before I got desperate enough to send you. Let me handle it. I'm ideal for this sort of thing: quick, obedient, and thoroughly forgettable."

There was a pause.

Quinn's manner dropped several degrees colder.

Wynston scuffed the floor with one foot. "You will kill me if I make the joke I'm thinking of. Won't you."

"Yes, I imagine I will."

"'That's what she said' jokes will be unsafe for quite a while. Won't they."

"Yes, I imagine they will be." Quinn smiled sourly.

Heeheee, oh Quinn, you set yourself up for that as well as you set up your dramatic entrances.

Quinn showed his teeth. "You're too kind. Now please, let me handle the Sith. Take the opportunity to go do a task more suited to your...inclinations. You know, while I'm not there to draw female attention."

"Oh, well, why didn't you put it that way in the first place?" said Wynston. "The Sith's all yours."

Wynston is a blue Jonas Balkar, but, somehow, less smooth, lol.

Edited by irishfino

Oh, God, there was an option to... so glad I have a female agent... lol

There wasn't any such option in game, but that wouldn't stop Wynston from trying.

Wynston is a blue Jonas Balkar, but, somehow, less smooth, lol.

If I could write a Casanova I would, but honestly, I can't figure out how that works. So my Wynston is going to have to bumble around relying on his natural nonverbal charm. :rolleyes:

Fun fact about "that's what she said": In my initial draft Wynston actually said it, and Quinn proceeded to relieve Wynston of most of his teeth. Then I figured we should keep things friendly. (And, um, keep the prospect of Quinn sticking around vaguely plausible.) I'm a big softie at heart.

ow... i didn't see this post... heh heh uhh ya don't look at my art thread <_< >_> :jawa_angel:.

Bad kabeone! Bad, bad...this actually gives me full deniability in the matter. Hmm. Clearly not my fault in any way, so my self-respect remains intact! :cool:

...*not checking out the art thread*

Fun fact about "that's what she said": In my initial draft Wynston actually said it, and Quinn proceeded to relieve Wynston of most of his teeth. Then I figured we should keep things friendly. (And, um, keep the prospect of Quinn sticking around vaguely plausible.) I'm a big softie at heart.

The fact that Quinn even knows about "That's what she said" jokes is hilarious.