The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Fame, starring Wynston. 900 words, no spoilers.

Wynston hurried out of the medcenter and then stopped, looking around. No sign of Fixer Thirty-Four. He could use someone to talk to, and he was probably supposed to be supervised anyway, so he holocalled her…then found her right around the corner.

"That was ridiculous," he said by way of greeting. "They sent an interrogator in doctor's clothing."

"Ah. Unpacking your relationship with alcohol?"

Wynston rolled his eyes. "Exactly. When did I start drinking, as if I remember, when did I start getting drunk, as if I want to remember..."

"Well, they can give you stims for the physiological effects but there’s no quick cure for the habit itself, for wanting. That’s what the talking is for. It could be useful if you're trying to identify what to avoid in the future."

"What I'm avoiding in the future is prying doctors.” He touched her elbow and started down the street, bound for nowhere in particular. She quickstepped around to keep her good eye facing him; he let that go without comment. It was her prerogative. “What would you like to do this evening? Assuming that your only actual responsibility is keeping a wayward agent out of cantinas. I've been told to minimize real work 'while I reacclimate,' so I'm rather stuck."

“It’s a little after work hours anyway.”

“Every hour’s a work hour somewhere. I’m looking forward to getting back to it as soon as I’m out of this bloody program.”

“Finish the job and get out of town?”

“Exactly.” He looked sidelong at her. "I hope the assignment so far hasn't been too onerous for you."

"The assignment so far has been very enjoyable. Don't tell me you didn't notice."

He laughed. "I'm trying to make this worth your while. Babysitting an–an addict can't be that much fun in its own right."

"It's no trouble. When I heard about the chance to meet Cipher Nine I couldn't pass it up."

"Really? Just to dress me down about my harsh treatment of mouse droids?"

She had an extremely pleasant husky laugh. "Not just that. You're legendary in the service. I thought I'd take the opportunity to meet you face to face."

"Legendary, am I?" It wasn't his ego so much as a gnawing curiosity that spurred him on. "And...what have you heard about this legend, Cipher Nine?"

"Are you sure you want to get into this?"

"You tease. Go on, tell me."

"Well, for one thing, they say he'll chase anything in a skirt."

"Is that so."

"I checked, though; a skirt isn't necessary." The satisfaction on her face bordered on the vicious.

He could fake shame, but why bother? "You could try again with the skirt, I wouldn't complain."

"Maybe if you're lucky. Let's see, what else...they say he's very good in bed. I...only have the one data point, but I’d provisionally say that one's justified."

"Additional data may be possible. I'm glad you approve, it helped a great deal to have a partner like you."

"And they say that he cares," she said, some note subtly changing in her voice. "Beyond the mission. I've heard some extravagant stories about the lengths he's gone to to save lives and bring evildoers to justice." The corner of her good eye crinkled. "They say Cipher Nine is a spy who thinks he's a lawman, for some unusually kind sort of law."

That was a new one on him. A little embarrassing, when she said it like that; it was never a good idea to confuse one's job description. "Is that a bad thing?"

"Not bad. Difficult, probably."

"You could say that." Maybe it really was what he wanted to be. It sounded like a better direction than the one he'd drifted into, these past months. "So...that's the bundle of rumors that got you to say yes when Keeper suggested you come keep me out of trouble for a few days."

"That's it," she agreed. "I must say you're measuring up pretty well."

"Well, that's a relief." He wasn't sure he wanted to stay on the subject much longer, so he gestured vaguely and turned a little more toward her. "But I don't know anything about you, except what we established last night: Pacha, Fixer, program manager, much-put-upon firmware developer. Very independent. Very sharp dresser. Beautiful smile. Who are you? Do you have a home someplace, a family?"

"I have a daughter," she said. "Misha. I'm not neglecting her, she’s spending her time with her father. That's the ex-husband I mentioned."

"And how old is Misha?"

"Sixteen." She raised her eyebrows. "There, I'm showing my age."

"Not at all. I could have a sixteen-year-old child." He considered. "Barely. Granted, Chiss mature faster."

"I know you've been in the workforce for a while, but..." she made a show of studying his face..."you can't be over twenty-five."

"Twenty-seven, I'll have you know." He adjusted his collar and glowered at her. "Now then. We were not-steering the topic away from you, madam, because I prefer to know who's keeping tabs on me. I want to know you. I want to know what you like. I want to know all the things the rumor mill failed to warn me of, because you, Minder of mine, are a mystery to me." He slid his hand to close lightly around hers. "And I like mysteries."

Well, mostly he likes distractions from his own issues. This does not go unnoticed.

[sneaks in]

Prompt: Uninvited Guests

Characters: Geltie and breed-right-this-instant Kallig

Infinite Loop

“Flesh of my flesh.”

Oh, stars, no. It hadn’t been a month since his last visit already, had it? Gelt rolled over in bed and cracked an eye open. There he was, Lord Kallig, the most annoying relative he had ever encountered.

“I know you are awake,” Kallig said, irritated with the boy for pretending.

Gelt mumbled something and sat up. “What is it now, Kallig?”

“You killed the girl before she provided an heir.”

Gelt covered his face with his hand. That again. Always that. It was always about him continuing the line, never about how he was.

“I noticed, Kallig.” He dropped his hand and glared at the ghost. “What do you want?”

“The continuation of the line.”

Gelt’s left eye twitched. “Oh, no, I’m fine, thank you so much for asking. Get out of my room, Kallig, before I bind you to a Hutt’s arse.”

“That’s no way to treat a concerned relative," Kallig rumbled.

“You’re not concerned with anything, but your damn bloodline. Stop annoying me about it or I will geld myself out of spite.”

Kallig hummed low in his throat. “I did come with a list of potential mates. You should seek them out.”

“Get out before I fry all chances of the line continuing.”

“You wouldn’t.”

Gelt sparked dangerously. “Try me.”

Kallig sighed and raised his hands in defeat. “I’ll come back when you’re in a better mood.”

“Never.”

With a huff and a puff of purple smoke, Kallig disappeared. Gelt sighed softly. Kallig was the worst alarm clock. Buzz, buzz, buzz, it’s time to breed. Buzz, buzz. He flopped back onto his pillow. It wasn’t as if he could find a woman, impregnate her, then take the child and raise it himself. He wasn’t interested in that anyway. He wanted a family of his own. It was the one thing he held onto during his indentured servitude. He wanted a family with a certain girl, but finding her was impossible. She didn’t exist here.

He rolled over, turning his back to the spot Kallig had left. He hoped for sleep, but knew it wouldn’t return to him for some time. He wouldn’t leave the warmth of his bed to pace the floor embedded in his depressing thoughts. No. It would be best if he could, for a while, pretend the one he wanted was here next to him. Pretend that she was warming his bed and running her hands through his hair. He liked that. He liked her touch, the thought of it anyway. He hadn’t seen her in some time. He wanted to. He wanted to meet her again. But he knew she didn’t exist here. He went back to pretending, talking himself out of pretending, then pretending again; an unending loop of warmth and happiness followed by cold realization that he would never see her again.

But he hoped. And, as his father often said, if he had hope he had everything.

Notes:

It's been a while since I've written anything. Feels good to write again.

Edited by irishfino

Comments, comments, comments.

@Irish: Okay, I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard. He never shows up at a decent time

“I know you are awake,” Kallig said, irritated with the boy for pretending.

@Yoshi: Loved it. I love my Trooper, and you just made them seem like the super hero of the military set when the shiny boot comes down. Great take on that!

@Marisalf: Missed this one somehow! Sorry I did too! I have a 53 Juggy. Quinn was my go to comp. When that happened I wanted to crush him. I hadn't thought about it from a female romance option perspective. Really felt for Rissa there.

@Lesaberisa: HAHAHAH!! NICE!

I smirked. "You see Skadge around?"

And the C2 watching Amitia sleep was also killing me.

@Bright: Ok, I already have a 51 Operative, but dammit if reading about Wynston didn't make me go roll a Sniper. You have inspired me sir! I wrote something based on my Sniper (before I read FAME ) gonna put it up here in a sec. I'm loving Wynston's story! Your detail really brings the character to life

As always, Loving all this good stuff!

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

Ok, so I was running my soon-to-be-sniper through Hutta and kept thinking "How'd he get here?". This is how.

Prompt: Changes/New Paths (I think this fits)

Class: Agent (Wardenn)

Words: 2500'ish

Spoilers: None

"You're on suspension, Det. Jaames, pending further investigation into your conduct on the night of the 23rd." said the stocky man with the bad comb-over. From behind the desk he directed a stern look at the Republic Security Forces officer across from him.

"What? Chief, come on! He resisted arrest! The guy was peddling ryll, deathsticks, and other spice specifically to 12 year old kids and we caught him in the act! When I approached him, he brought out a vibroknife. I had no choice but to break his arm in self defense!"

"That's not the account Internal Affairs got from your partner, or the perp for that matter", the Chief rubbed his temples.

Insp. Jaames put his head in his hands "Chief... Carl... c'mon. You know me. There's no way this is me. I'm better than that."

"Look, Jaames, I know this is unusual. Your record is top notch. You hold the highest arrest rate in the dept. Laura and I have dinner with you and Karra on a bi-weekly basis for cripes sake! You're so by-the-book that you make sure the forks are in the proper arrangement at MY house!"

Chief Carl stood up and walked around to the front of the desk and leaned on it, "but the fact is, what I know doesn't matter. Internal Affairs is involved on this one. My hands are tied... I'm sorry."

Jaames looked up at Chief Carl with a look of pained resignation. "Man, 9 years on the force, no bribes, no looking the other way, staying honest, and this is what I get, huh?"

Carl put his hand on Jaames shoulder. "Don't worry. Take your two weeks, hell it'll be the first vacation you've taken in years. Spend some time with Karra, relax, and I'll have this smoothed over by the time you get back."

Jaames stood up with a large sigh. "Thanks Carl. I can always count on you to have my back.", he said. Then he turned and walked out of the office. Spending time with Karra, huh? I guess suspension won't be that bad after all.

"Hey look, guys! Det. Jaames is back! Careful, he's a killer! Hey Straight Arrow, what happened? Your Imperial upbringing come to the surface?" Laughter reverberated through the locker room.

First day back and this what I get to deal with? Swell. Jaames sighed. "Kowalter, my parents defected. I was raised in Republic schools, went through the Republic Academy, just like you."

He opened his locker and started arranging his things. "The accent comes from being around my parents so much since we were in Defector Protection and moved around a lot. Now that you know the facts of the case, and not what your womprat sized brain thinks is funny, why don't you shut the hell up?"

Kowalter came over and slammed the locker shut, then got in his face. "You got something to say, little man?" Kowalter spent a lot of time in the gym, and his size showed it.

"Hmm, I guess being on the take and not doing actual detective work affects your hearing. Hey, how is Black Sun paying these days?" Looks like that hit the mark.

Kowlater's face contorted in rage and he drew his fist back to punch Jaames.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!!" The voice rang through the locker room with the authority of someone who had commanded in larger action than just big city crime. "I will not tolerate fighting in the ranks! If you have time for this then you have time to DO. YOUR. JOB!"

"Kowalter, we will discuss this, at length, later in my office. You, Jaames, I will discuss this with now." The owner of the voice, a fit, older gentleman with neat grey hair and a bald crown, pointed to the exit, "My office, 1 minute", and in a slightly military fashion, turned and crisply walked out.

Kowalter glared as he walked away, "You and I ain't finished Jaames. You can bank on that, son."

Jaames turned and hit his locker, shook the pain out of his hand, and then got dressed. Swell. Who was that guy anyway? Did we get a new Captain while I was out? He headed towards the exit. Time to find out I guess.

"Chief Carl has been... moved to a new position in the Republic Security Forces. I am your new Chief of Detectives, Barnabus Rall," he said in that crisp, authoritative voice. "So,fresh off suspension and already involved in trouble again, are we Det. Ru'gal Jaames?"

Rall flipped open a file on his desk. "I find that your file's history doesn't reflect your current state of affairs, Detective. I see in here a man who has worked hard to overcome his family's past through a devotion to duty. Yet here you are... again."

"Chief..."

"You will address me as 'Sir'. Discipline has been lax under your former Chief, and I will not have it so under my watch."

"Sir, with all due respect. That wasn't my fau--"

"Yes, yes I've heard it before," interrupted Rall, "but in fact, you share some of the blame. You could've kept silent, allowed Kowalter and his cronies their laugh, and started your first day back from suspension without incident."

"Sir.."

"Yes, your pride, I know. I admire that fire, Detective, it has made you successful in the face of adversity. I like people who can stand in the face of adversity, but make sure that you know when to stir the fire and when to sit peacefully and watch the embers burn. Now Detective, I believe you have cases to work. You are dismissed", Rall gestured to the door.

Jaames was still burning from the morning's incident as he worked the spice pusher case. It was protocol for a case to be transferred when the detective working it was suspended, but somehow it wound up back on Jaames' desk. He had a thing for finishing what he started though, so he wasn't complaining.

Jaames canvassed the neighborhood, followed leads, questioned known acquaintances/accomplices, all the things a good detective does... but his mind wasn't really on the case. The perp had been let out on bail, but he had been caught in the act and tied to more product that arrived at his apartment shortly after his arrest via Galactic Express. Open and shut, really.

The conversation with the new Chief, Rall, kept running through his head. There was something almost... familiar about the way he... spoke? Walked? Dressed? It wasn't out of the ordinary for a career RSF officer... just something in Jaames' head wouldn't let go.

Which is why he was distracted and didn't see the van before it was too late. It raced up beside him and the air brakes screeched as it stopped quickly and three large masked men jumped out.

What the..?! DAMMIT!

His father had taught Jaames the Teras Kasi fighting style when he was younger. He was an expert at it, but he was no master. He broke the first attacker's leg with a strike to the knee, broke the second attacker's arm with a seize and control technique, but the third was able to get behind him and club him in the head. Jaames dropped like a box of rocks.

When he awoke, it was night... no, his head was in a sa--OW! His head was throbbing and it felt sticky. Blood. He tried to look around. It felt cool, and there was a breeze. Maybe it was night? He was sitting on something metal and he was bound around the chest.

"He's awake. Drag him out here so he can see this." a muffled voice said.

He heard another, "C'mon man! It's killing me! We need to get to the Doc-droid! AHHHH!"

The first voice, "If you don't shut up about it, I break the other one and you can bank on that, son." KOWALTER!! I'm in trouble. Big big trouble.

The mask came off ,Jaames adjusted quickly and got his bearings as he was thrown to the ground. Oh no. Oh no no no no.

"12000 block, 321'st floor, suite C landing pad. Home sweet home, Jaames!" There was laughter from everyone but the two Jaames had injured, who were in the van. There were 4 people walking. Kowalter, the spice peddler, and two of Kowalter's cronies.

Oh gods, KARRA'S HOME! Jaames saw a light go on in the window. He stared to yell, and was kicked in the ribs for the effort.

"Aww, don't be a spoil sport and ruin the big surprise, Jaames old boy!" Kowalter went back to the van and produced an incendiary rocket. Then he pointed to a crony, "You! go stand by the door. If the little lady comes running out, toss her back in."

"NO! KOWALTER, NO!! DON-- *WHAM!*" Another shot to the ribs, Jaames screamed out this time, hoping Karra would hear it.

" I told you we weren't through, Jaames. You've pissed off some very important people. People who pay very well for this sort of thing. Chief Carl tried to help you out, tried to get you off the force. Who do you think brought IA in on a simple cut and dry drug case?" Kowalter shouldered the rocket. "Carl and the IA agent tried to cover it up while you were out, but that new guy was brought in, and this got dumped on me... not that I protested or anything." Kowalter smiled an evil, sleezy smile.

"Carl always hoped you'd come around, y'know. Join the club. Me? I knew better." He fired the rocket into the window and all hell broke loose inside.

Fire spewed forth from the window. Alarms went off. Karra came running out the front door, her robe on fire. The Crony clothes-lined her, stomped on her to put her out, then threw her back in the door. Karra's screams raised above the roar of the fire and then faded into the background.

Jaames tried to inchworm to the apartment, but was stopped with a stomp in the back. He lie there, tears of pain and rage flowing from his eyes, his nose running, he was sobbing so hard it hurt. Then he rolled over onto his back.

The Crony by the door returned, "Ouch! Damn boss, you got any bacta left? I burned my arm on that ***** when I dropped her." He laughed

"KOWAAAAALTEEEEER!! I'LL KILL YOU! YOU HEAR ME YOU SON OF A NIGHT HAG?! YOU. ARE. A. DEADMAN!"

Jaames screamed while Kowalter and his cronies laughed... until they heard a wet gurgle com from the van. As they looked over, the attacker with the broken arm fell out bleeding heavily.

What happened next was so fast, Jaames couldn't register it all at once. Kowalter spun and looked at Jaames. A body in a blur of motion appeared from nowhere behind Kowalter and shoved a knife into the base of his neck, fired two point blank shots into the head of the Crony who had beat Karra, and disappeared again.

The second Crony and the spice peddler stood in slack jawed amazement... until the figure quickly appeared again if front of them, slitting the throat of the second Crony and shoving his blaster into the open mouth of the Peddler and firing.

It was too much for Jaames, he passed out... but not before he saw the assailant's face. It was Barnabus Rall.

The slapping woke Jaames. He sat up quickly, and scooted away. In a flood, everything that had happened came back to him. The fire still roared. He hadn't been out long, but he was cut free of his bonds now.

Jaames made for the apartment in a frantic rush, but the adrenaline rush left him and he fell to his knees mid stride. Rall walked up and stood beside him. He looked up at his stern visage.

"You. You could've stopped them. You could've saved Karra.... why? Why didn't you save her?"

"Detective, in the truck there are three rockets, two of which are disarmed. I did what I could. I calculated 22 different ways to end this scenario. This was the most effective solution and it left you alive."

" I don't WANT to be alive! Karra;s dead! I find out that I can't trust anyone in the RSF, so there will be no justice! I don't even know who's at the head of all this, where to start looking!!" Jaames took off his wedding ring and held it tight. "My life? It's over", he said softly.

"No Detective, it is not. You require vengeance, and I can give that to you. You can be a valuable asset Detective, so you are of worth to me."

"Who are you? Really. You're not RSF. Why are you here?"

The man who called himself Rall looked down at Jaames.

"No, Detective, I am not. You may call me Keeper, and why I'm here is not your concern", he said crisply.

"What concerns you is the this. Vengeance for Karra cannot be achieved here in the Republic, your department's corruption runs deep into RSF Senior Command and beyond." Keeper looked back at the fire, "The Empire can offer you what you seek, but you must choose to abandon the Republic."

"If not, then I must kill you and move on. Decide quickly." Keeper checked his watch.

Jaames stood up and looked at Keeper in the eye. "You know who did this? I mean all of the names, everyone involved?"

"I said I could give you vengeance, which implies that yes, I have that information."

Sirens blared. Fire and Police squads were on their way.

"Time is running short Detective. Are you coming or not?"

Jaames squeezed the ring tightly, looking at the blazing apartment. "I have no ties here. Not anymore. I'll join you."

"Very well, Follow me. Time is of the essence." Keeper jogged over to the edge of the pad , where a sleek hovercar was tethered. They both jumped in and it vanished, right as the emergency vehicles landed.

"This transport will take you to Nar Shadda. You will meet a Chiss female there, who you will address as Fennrys, speak to no one else. The only words you will speak to her are 'The sun is shining', to which she will reply 'But the ice is slippery'. She will escort you to the Intelligence Academy on Dromand Kaas. If you're skilled enough, you will survive the experience. Should you complete your training, you will return to me." Keeper and Jaames stood outside the Coruscant Spaceport as he handed him a ticket.

"The sun is shining but the ice is slippery, got it."

"One more thing. Ru'gal Jaames is dead. They found his body inside his apartment with his wife. The plasma fire made ID nearly impossible. The Black Sun's involvement is suspected. You will be provided with a new name if we meet again."

Keeper put the hood on his robe up, turned and walked off into the spaceport, leaving the man formerly known as Jaames, to follow his instructions...

6 months later...

Keeper's image appeared on the holocom

"Welcome to Imperial Intelligence, Agent. Your training records were exemplary, as I expected. There has been a change of plans. You will depart for Hutta immediately. When you arrive, you will go to the Poison Pit Cantina and contact me for further instructions."

"Yes,sir." As the newly minted Agent nodded, a necklace with a ring on it bobbed once.

"And Agent, you now answer to the name: Wardenn. Now, I believe you have a job to do..."

I've always viewed Keeper as the ultimate Operative (can't see him as a sniper). He didn't start out as Keeper though, and he didn't get there by just managing people. So when the Empire has a ultra high priority assignment, they may call on Keeper for something intended to be short. There's probably no one better...

And, Keeper is never one to let a possible asset go to waste :D

Comments/replies!

Adwynyth has a convenient solution for that (well, for 2V). It's called a lightsaber. :D.

@Adwynyth, I wholeheartedly approve of this option. :D Makes me think they should have had the ship droids double as training dummies in-game.

@Irishfino, Yay, more stuff! Poor Gelt, talk about unwelcome guests, yeesh!

@DarthSillyMonkey, Glad you liked the story. :) Trust me, playing through that story with the romance adds a whole new layer of grrrr! to the situation. But it does lend itself to some cathartic fic.

I love your sniper’s backstory. Definitely the kind of thing that would drive him to the Empire, and I can’t wait until he gets his vengeance.

@Bright, I like Fixer 34 already. She definitely seems like the anti-Kaliyo. And smooth Wynston is always a treat.

@Yoshi,

... the legendary figures that everyone knows about but no one ever sees in action.

I can definitely see this. And now I have the urge to log on to my trooper and finally get him through Taris. :)

NotLP: Mirror, Mirror

Title: There is Peace

With IA Kinka, no spoilers

Note: Jumping back into the time period where Kinka’s left Vector and is now trying to work out her demons, with varying levels of success. But she’s almost at the end of that ;)

Dear Dad,

Were you ever afraid of dying? I’ve come close to death on more than one occasion, and I’ve never felt that heart-pounding, paralyzing sensation of fear. I mean, I can have a knife to my throat and be beaten into unconsciousness, but that doesn’t upset me in the least. Does that mean I have some kind of sick death wish?

They at least try to teach you how to deal with that in Intelligence training. But they don’t teach you how to deal with someone you care for being the one in danger. Maybe we’re expected not to form those kind of attachments. They want their agents to be able to stick a blaster to someone’s skull and not hesitate to pull the trigger, nevermind if it’s someone you love.

Especially if it’s someone you love.

Maybe the Jedi have it right on one thing. Attachments and emotions are dangerous things. If I weren’t so attached, none of this would have happened. Something to think about.

—Kinka

One week later

“My fist, her face. Seriously, Sunshine, don’t you dare get in my way.”

“She’s just...She’s...” Temple tried to come up with something positive to say about the agent, but she was coming up empty. Kinka’s current state of mind had been trying to them all, this new mood somehow worse than the surly mess she’d been four months earlier.

“About to get punched in the face if she doesn’t snap the hell out of it,” Kaliyo finished. “I thought therapy was supposed to make her less crazy.”

Dr. Lokin poked his head out of the medbay before Temple could respond. “What have I missed?”

“Good, the doctor’s here. You can patch up the agent after I beat some sense into her.”

As the commotion raged, Kinka sat cross-legged on the floor in a drab brown robe, her head bowed in concentration. I am at peace. I am calm.

Meditation, Kinka had read late one night on the Holonet, was one of the tools the Jedi used to maintain their stoic, passionless relationships. Attachments were weaknesses, and she didn’t want to be weak anymore. If it worked for them, maybe it would work for her.

SCORPIO joined the trio in the living area, her heard cocked to the side in amusement. “You’re angry,” she seemed to smile at Kaliyo. “What did the cipher do to provoke this reaction?”

The Rattataki shook a bone-dry bottle. “She threw out the booze.”

Kinka had also read that Jedi didn’t indulge in unsavory habits like drinking and fashion, so she packed away her wardrobe and emptied the ship’s bar of the liquor. From now on, she would be sober and unfashionable. And calm. And unattached. She sighed, so much to remember. The angry voices weren't making it any easier.

Kinka stood and walked slowly to the computer as the others fell silent. She pulled up the latest video in the Jedi Reflections series she’d obtained through less than legal channels and loaded it onto her datapad before retreating to the solitude of her quarters.

“Kripes, she really has lost it,” Kaliyo muttered.

“It’s a phase; it’ll pass,” Dr. Lokin tried to assure them.

Kaliyo scowled, not the least bit convinced. “If it doesn't, we try the shock therapy.”

NotLP: Mirror, Mirror

Title: Peace is a Lie

Takes place about a month after the previous story.

Dear Dad,

The Jedi are idiots.

I spent three weeks trying to control my emotions and keep personal relationships at arm’s length, and you know what? It wasn’t that different than how I’d been behaving these past few months. Except I made everyone else miserable, too. Apparently, I’m kind of terrible company to be around this way. No wonder Kaliyo wanted to strangle me.

But the thing I’ve realized is that my attachments, my friends, make me better. Make me who I am. Back when I first started and it was just me on my own, I had no moral compass. I was selfish. But when I got things that mattered, I made myself better. For them and for me. I want to have those things again, and I’m going to get them back somehow.

Maybe the absence of fear for my own well-being is part of what makes me so good at what I do. I have succeeded in situations where that never should have been possible. I am stronger than I realized. Maybe even strong enough to face losing someone I love.

I met a man, Dad. Never mentioned it until now because I couldn’t do it without falling apart. He’s the best part of this existence. Was. He was the best part. I let him go. It was for his own good. And for mine. My life is too dangerous, and I couldn’t bear the thought of him ending up dead. That’s what I told myself.

But the truth of it all is that I made a mistake. I think about him with some other woman somewhere, and it makes me sick to my stomach. But it’s my own doing. I never should have left him. Stars, I was lucky to have him in the first place. And I’ve seen enough to know that the universe doesn’t give you second chances.

It doesn’t matter now. No more excuses. I’m going to be better for them. I may have lost him, but I still have my crew. They’re the closest thing to family I have, and I’m going to do right by them.

Love, Kinka

Oops, walk away for a few days and suddenly there's a gazillion great stories on this thread.

I apologize for not commenting. They're all striking and you are all lovely people.

So I'll just leave this here and head back to catch up reading...

Maldecka the Kid #19

Abt 1900 words in a couple days.

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders...or definitely not hoarders, I don't know what you're talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts.... or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.

Maldecka looked across the rolling fields. She and Knight Zarro had been sent to Dantooine to investigate several wild animal attacks on some of the outlying farms. It would be their tenth mission together. Maldecka felt like she should do something for it, but she wasn't sure what.

"Come on Sunbeam. Day's burning." Zarro was already sitting on the rented speeder.

Maldecka quickly hopped over, "Sorry Master, I've just never seen such flat land!"

Zarro easily kicked the speeder into gear as they headed away from the settlement, "Most would consider it boring."

Maldecka felt the wind ripping at her coat, "No...How could anyone be board when they can see for miles?"

Maldecka actually enjoyed this bit of missions. Asking around, figuring what went wrong, and who is guilty.

Unfortunately, after talking to their eighteenth farmer, they were no closer to figuring out the source of the attacks. All they knew was that it was at least three kinds of animals; some sort of swarming insectisoid, some sort of canine like predator, and one large horned creature mauling people.

Zarro was starting to get annoyed, Maldecka could feel it across their training bond. It was still new and getting established and Maldecka wasn't entirely sure what to do with it.

Knight Zarro used it to monitor Maldecka's meditations and emotions. Every now and then Maldecka could feel Zarro's emotions too.

Walking back to the speeder Maldecka pulled out the map and started to add notes from their last investigation.

Zarro was looking across the prairie, "Don't forget what he said about marks on the fences."

Maldecka quickly added the note, "Yes Master."

Zarro glanced over at his padawan. Maldecka tried not to jump as Zarro tapped at the bond.

Zarro reached over and ruffled Maldecka's hair, "You should have said you were getting hungry. Growth spurts need food Sunbeam."

Maldecka huffed at him and finished her note. It was true that Maldecka had stumbled into a growth spurt recently. She was nearly eleven so it made sense. But she hated how clumsy it made her. Maldecka had nearly impaled herself during a kata because she tripped over her new sized feet.

Zarro handed Maldecka a sandwich and took the map. They both leaned against the bike and settled into comfortable silence.

Maldecka let her gaze cross the horizon as she ate.

"Master?"

"Yeah?" Zarro was pouring over the map, choosing the next area to investigate.

"The map didn't say anything about a zoo, right?"

Zarro glanced up at where Maldecka was looking. He grabbed a set of binoculars and 'hmmm'd.

Maldecka could just barely see it. It was a heard of large herbivores. But the odd thing was that they were being stalked by a big vine cat, completely non-native to Dantooine.

Zarro lowered the binoculars, "No, it just says that's private land. Let's go Sunbeam."

Maldecka quickly snarffed down the rest of her sandwich and hopped onto the bike.

"I am trilled to have two fine Jedi grace my humble home here today. Why, if I had known you'd be here I would have invited you sooner. I am always happy to share my collection with those who can appreciate the variety of life across our fine universe."

Maldecka quietly sipped her sweet tea as Knight Zarro held up under the oceans of words Mr. Obidabi was dishing out.

"Indeed, but I have some questions..."

"You must see the new cubs that I just had imported. They are just the cutes Manka Cat cubs I have ever seen."

Maldecka couldn't help herself, "Manka Cat? Like Spike from the Alderaan Solo books?"

Zarro and Obidabi turned to Maldecka, "Why yes little lady. Would you like to see them?"

Maldecka folded her arms behind her back and put on a serious face, "I'm sorry, but we need to finish our mission first."

Obidabi clapped his hands, "Oh, you are just adorable. I suppose you both are here for that whole nasty animal attacks business?"

Zarro nodded, "Yes."

Maldecka sipped some more sweet tea as Zarro interviewed Mr. Obidabi. They were finally getting somewhere.

Zarro glanced between Maldecka and the cave system entrance.

"I don’t see the problem Master."

Zarro could think of about fifteen problems; most of them along the lines of: you're ten, there are big creatures with lots of teeth in there, not to mention the caves don’t handle radios well....

They had worked out that the animals in question had counterparts on Mr. Obidabi's reserve. Thing was, he was certain all his pets were accounted for and had records to prove it. So...either he was lying, or one of his staff has stolen animals from him.

And now he needed to investigate the cave system to see if the animal releases were intentional or not. And he needed to do something with Maldecka that preferably kept her from getting hurt.

"I can do this Master." Maldecka had a flashlight in one hand and her lightsaber in the other.

Zarro forced on a grin, "No question of that. Just be sure to use the force bond if you find anything. and do not engage unless you are absolutely forced too."

Maldecka grinned and headed toward the entrance, "You got it Master."

Zarro quickly followed and headed down the left tunnel while Maldecka headed down the right. It was dark, as expected. But Zarro could sense the bundle of force signatures all around him.

Quietly Zarro continued forward, clicking his flashlight off. To his delight bioluminescent fungi light up the cave just enough for him to see.

Zarro continued forward, passing intersections of the cave, and occasionally checking on the force bond with Maldecka. Continuing on Zarro nearly missed the plaque.

It had some unidentified script on it and an arrow. Zarro paused in front of it and reached for the Force bond.

'Maldecka.'

He could feel her alarm through the bond. But he had explained what the Force bond could do, right?

'MASTER?! HOW ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?'

Zarro flinched, apparently he had forgotten to tell Maldecka about this.

'Lower the volume Sunbeam. Have you passed any signs in the caves?'

'Yeah..I mean yes Master. I'm following them.'

Zarro frowned at that, Maldecka's focus had dwindled off...but why?

'Maldecka? Padawan?'

'Master, it's a collection of....someone's coming.'

Zarro frowned, 'What? Where are you?'

Silence. Zarro grabbed his lightsaber. He reached out to see what general direction Maldecka was in.

Striking out he sped along the tunnels, amplified by the Force.

Maldecka was embarrassed. She had been so taken aback by stumbling into a gigantic chamber with an entire wall devoted to mounted animal heads that she nearly gotten caught. Unable to flee she had jumped up the wall and wedged herself between and rancor head and a creature will saw teeth.

Now she was stuck, because the five strangers below her were sitting about having tea or something. Since three of them wore hunting trophies mixed with armor, Maldecka figured Knight Zarro would not want her to engage.

Maldecka readjusted her hand, bracing herself between the two predators. She would try to send a message to Zarro, but she was so busy trying to hold herself up that she couldn't focus. So instead she listened.

Of the people below her, she could recognize one of Mr. Obidabi's field hands. He seemed excited to always talk about 'the game' and 'the hunt'. The other four were strangers to Maldecka.

Maldecka could feel her hands slipping as she began to sweat from the effort of holding herself up.

"But what about the beasts that escaped?"

The field hand waved his hand foppishly, "It has been taken care off. We are also equipping all our beasts with shock collars. If the Hunters can not get the kill, our equipment can."

"You've got an awfully cushy racket here. Surprised the zoo lets you do this."

"Oh, Mr. Obidabi loves his furry predators. He would never tolerate this. But there is no finer variety of creature to be found within ten systems of here."

"I'll take your word for it. So about the Manka Cat hunt..."

"No!" Maldecka bit her lip, surprising herself as much as the men below.

"What the..?"

"Shoot!"

Maldecka leapt to the rancor head as laser fire began landing all about her. Propelling her legs she attempted to leap to another head while pulling out her lightsaber.

But then she felt the shot hit her shoulder and she fell.

She didn't even register the pain until she was on the ground, with weapons pointed at her head. Then her arm felt like it was burning. She tried to lift it but it was a dead weight at her side.

"What is it?"

"A Zabrak."

Maldecka ignited her lightsaber with her non-dominant hand and raised it into a fighting stance.

The field hand only tilted his head in amusement, "No, a Jedi. How do you boys feel about a real challenging hunt?"

"You want challenging? Here I am."

Maldecka had never been so glad to hear Zarro's voice in her life. He was standing in the entrance, robes flying out behind him and light saber giving his features a supernatural glow.

In the ensuing fight Maldecka drew two conclusions. Master Zarro had been holding back, way back, in all of their spars. And Maldecka never wanted to be on the opposing end of Master Zarro at full force.

Maldecka poked at the bandages on her arm again.

"What has you so smiley?" Zarro asked with a grin.

"It’s my first battle scar. It will scar, right?"

Zarro glance up from his report. They were crammed into a shuttle headed back to Tython.

Maldecka poked at her wound again, "Battle scar collections are a sign of luck for Zabraks."

Zarro looked briefly horrified before his features smoothed out, "You don't need luck Sunbeam. You need to be good. Then they'll be even more impressed at how small your collection is."

Maldecka scrunched up her face and thought about it. Zarro waited patiently for the idea to take root.

"Are you just good Master? Or do you have some luck?"

Zarro glanced back down at his report, "I am good because I train hard. But I also got you as a Padawan, so I'm pretty luck too."

Maldecka just beamed at him and returned to attempting to write her own report of the mission.

Zarro glanced down at the picture on top of his report. It was of Maldecka petting a Manka Cat with Mr. Obidabi. Zarro wasn't sure why he kept taking a single picture from each of their missions, but he just slid it into his pocket to add to the growing pile in his desk back at the temple.

Or I could write another bite.

Maldecka the Kid #20: Disguises

abt 400 words written in 20 min

Disguises - Sometimes our characters have to gain entry to places that it's not easy to get into. What's a good strategy? A disguise, of course! Write about a time in which your character had to pretend to be someone or something else, and how they dealt with trying to be convincing.

Maldecka flapped her arms again, annoyed at the d****** brown cloth covering them.

"Sunbeam, you need to stop that."

Maldecka glanced over at Knight Zarro where he was attempting to put on full battle armor in the style of the Mandalorians.

"And don't give me that look." He didn't even need to look up from the piece he was working on.

Maldecka flopped her arms about in defiance, "You can't even see my face because of this stupid mask! And the glowing makes my eyes hurt. Why do I have to do this?"

Zarro looked up from his attempt to get the shoulders to sit right, "Maldecka, do I look short enough to be a Jawa?"

Maldecka crossed her arms, "And I do? I've been having growth spurts! I'm tall enough to be a Mandalorian."

A high and light laugh came out of the side room, "Is it like this with you two all the time? We need to go on more missions together." Knight Nettesh walked out, dressed in a dancers outfit.

Zarro scoffed and finally got the shoulders to snap in, "I try to avoid undercover missions. They don't suit me."

Maldecka crossed her arms, "Or me."

Nettesh smoothed the small amounts of fabric she wore, "Well I agree with you kid. Sadly, this is a three man job, and you two were the only ones available on short notice."

Zarro picked up his helmet and glared at the paw print symbols on it, "I take it this was Orgus' doing?"

Nettesh glanced over as she pulled her hair back, "Yeah, he also said to get a picture of you two 'dressed to the nines'."

Zarro scoffed and tucked his helmet up under his arm. Turning he picked up all three light sabers and walked over to Maldecka.

Kneeling he smiled, "Sunbeam, I know you're annoyed at having to wear such uncomfortable clothes. But you have the most important job. Without you we won't be able to smuggle in our light sabers."

Maldecka looked up from where she was glaring at the dark mask, "Okay Master. I'm sorry I was complaining so much. It's for the mission right?"

Rolling her shoulders, Maldecka took the light sabers and tucked them into her scratchy robes.

Zarro then slammed his helmet on and stood up, "Good girl. Let's get this over with."

Nettesh sighed, "You too are just so sweet. Smile!"

Then both looked over just as the camera flash went off.

eeeeee, fino! Welcome back! Kallig the alarm clock is a hilarious image.

@DarthSillyMonkey, I am delighted to have inspired additional Agent-ing. You have a wonderfully creative backstory for yours - and yes, I've always wondered what Keeper was like during his days in the field.

@marissalf, I feel bad for Kinka's crew...being in the immediate vicinity of someone flailing that hard can't be fun. I love the device of Kinka's letters to her departed father.

@Lady-Jean I love Maldecka's positive outlook on Dantooine's scenery. And Jawa-Maldecka is just about the most adorable image ever...though I doubt she would like me saying so.

*continues spitting stories en masse*

Communication Breakdown: Resistant Patient, a representative sample for Wynston, no spoilers:

"Do you feel you need alcohol to be successful, when you're looking to unwind?"

"Do I need words starting with 't' to be successful? It's all part of the scene, it only gets weird and difficult if you try to pry it out and look at it."

"Yes, but words starting with 't' don't lead to out-of-control behavior."

"Depends which words. Do you speak Huttese?"

Good/Bad Memories for Wynston. Agent Act 2 spoilery reference. 650 words.

Wynston held still when he woke up. Inventory: night clothes, just a little of withdrawal’s nausea, otherwise physically fine; surroundings, the familiar hotel. The smell of sweat, though he was dry now; no notable sounds in the low background of the hotel.

Some strange dream was fading fast, and he wanted a drink.

For that matter he wanted to be out from under surveillance. He had been lucky in not getting an outright tracking tag; people were much easier to deal with.

The Fixer didn't stir when he eased himself off the bed. Good. He dressed quickly and silently; not the first time he'd had to do so. The prospect of freedom spurred him on.

The lobby was empty but for a dormant droid. Outside the night was warm and misting. The streets had the light traffic of three in the morning. There was no curfew at the moment, and even if there had been his ID clearance would have let him move unmolested by any save Sith. And Sith he had a halfway decent sense for how to avoid.

Funny, he thought. He had finally found an inconvenience even worse than Sith. And it was built right into him.

His steps took him to the Nexus Room, as he had known they would. It had always been the secondary center of Kaas City for him: the Citadel for work, the Nexus Room for himself. He stood outside in a stark box of streetlight, his back to the Spires of Victory, his face to sixteen years of memories.

He hadn't drunk when he first came to the city. He'd eaten here, but social drinking was foreign to him; in his old home it had been a means to escape after bad work days, that was all. It was classmates in the Intelligence training program that introduced him to more casual pursuits. Much of it here. It had been light and social, that was all; he hadn't drunk to get away from things again until…oh, much later. A couple of nights after his first partner died. A few scattered occasions since then.

Then Kaliyo came along, with that challenge he always wanted to meet, the stupid power struggles, pushing social drinking well past where it should have gone. Then the Republic ordeal, when he didn't have any outlet but alcohol. Then, scant months later, losing her. Letting her loose.

One of the last times he had been at the Nexus Room with Kaliyo she had found a loud different of opinion with an overbuilt Weequay. It had come to blows, Kaliyo scratching and biting, Wynston joining in because she didn’t have the mass to take him by herself. All three of them had gotten thrown out; Kaliyo had kept beating the Weequay until Wynston dragged her off of him and on to the next cantina. She thought it was a grand old time. She always thought these things were a grand old time; that, or a disappointment that would be taken directly out of his hide.

Yes. That was the sort of thing he'd done with his time toward the end.

He didn't really want a drink in there. Not 'a' drink. He wanted to be drunk again, pleasantly numbed. Doing it by behaving exactly the way he had when she was here, though, seemed...off. Damn her for burning the escape routes behind her.

He would find a different place to dance tomorrow, and he'd do it clean.

He returned to the hotel, ignoring the ache that called him the other way. He crept into his room and shut the door silently behind him. He took a couple of steps toward the bed and tripped on something – his adjusting eyes recognized Fixer Thirty-Four's jacket. That hadn’t been there when he left.

She lay in bed, snug under the covers, her back to him. He closed the distance, eased onto the bed himself, flipped the spare covers over him, settled down, and joined her in pretending to be asleep.

Sorta kinda Goals and Ambitions for Wynston and Fixer Thirty-Four. References one step of an Agent Alderaan quest. And, if you think about it a certain way, also a Warrior Alderaan quest. And, I think, an Alderaan planetary quest. 350 words.

The main thing Wynston liked about Fixer Thirty-Four was that she was willing to talk for hours about things that weren't his problems. It was immensely comforting.

"I had a brief stint in the field," she was saying, "on Taris. This was early in the Republic's reconstruction efforts, it was my job to make sure any infrastructure the Republic fixed didn't stay fixed."

"Taris is an ugly assignment."

Fixer Thirty-Four nodded sharply. "Don't I know it. When you sing the praises of traveling...well, my associations with offworld professional ventures aren't pleasant."

"All right, maybe you have to try a few trips before you hit a good one. What's your pleasure? City world? Oceans, beaches? Forests? Snow? I bet you like snow."

"I've never seen snow," she said simply. "A few classmates back in training made a point of vacations in good snowspeeding country but I never went. When I travel I usually stick to places with a roof over my head and some kind of decent music scene."

"A woman after my own heart. Nar Shaddaa, then?"

She scoffed, disgust written all over her broad angular features. "Too dirty."

"Mouse droids can be outfitted to clean things, can't they? You could build an island of purity in the metal wilderness. Get paid for it, too."

"Of all the things the Empire could send Intelligence to do on Nar Shaddaa, street-sweeping is probably low on the priority list."

"Alderaan."

"What?"

"Alderaan. You can admire snow from a decent distance, then go inside where it's warm and enjoy music, dancing, devastatingly good food, all the lavishly courtly gentlemen you could possibly want...yes. We'll have to find you an excuse to go to Alderaan."

"And just what excuse would that be, for someone with my skills?"

"Well," he scratched his hair, "their planetary shield generators keep blowing up. You could look into that."

She tilted her head and examined his face. "...Is there a story there?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," he said, straight-faced.

"No, please, regale me with stories of the expensive things you've broken. It warms my Fixer's heart."

"In a 'rising blood pressure' way," he guessed.

"In a 'rising blood pressure' way. It's entertaining, though. Go on, spill."

Comments:

@Yoshi: Havoc is definitly one of those legends that awe and inspire younger troops and to see them alongside you in battle would be a remarkable event. Also, Savara Mindark.....she was really annoying! That piece made me giggle and Pierce is right, definitely not much upstairs!

@Irishfino: Yay!! Welcome back, and seriously, what is it with parents, grandparents, or in this case, the ghost of an ancestor, and the drive to make the younger generation have babies?! I swear, my hubby and I had only been married for an hour when his grandmother was asking when we were going to have a baby!!!!

@DarthSillyMonkey: A truly fantastic background intro for your IA, I loved it!!!

@Bright: I am still catching up on the Wynston pieces, but I am enjoying them so far and am so happy that your writer's block is gone!!!

@Marissalf: Awww, poor Kinka. I am glad she is working through it though and a liquor deprived Kaliyo mentioning shock therapy gave me the giggles!!!

@Lady-Jean: Welcome back!! Oh, Maldeka in a Jawa costume made me grin!! :D

So I was working on outlining Bella and Mallay's adventures on Coruscant, when this silly idea popped into my head and just wouldn't get out. I finally just accepted it and went with it.

Title: I Told You Not To Eat That!

Prompt: Food/Health

Characters: Mallayse-trooper, and Jorgan

Setting: Coruscant

Spoilers: Trooper Coruscant

“Stars, Jorgan, I’m not feeling so good,” Mallay gritted as they entered the Senate tower.

“You sure it isn’t just nerves, sir?” Aric asked her, knowing his CO wasn’t looking forward to the inquiry they were headed to.

They had just finished neutralizing the shipment of nerve gas in Black Sun territory that was destined for Tavus. Shortly after they’d reported back to Sergeant Jaxo, General Garza contacted them. Three members of the senate had found out about Tavus and the others defecting and they had questions for Mallay. Garza had no choice but to order Mallay to report to the Senators. She reminded Mallay that the less the senate knew, the better their chances of getting Tavus quickly would be. Garza never outright told Mallay to lie about what happened on Ord, but it was heavily insinuated.

“I don’t think so,” Mallay muttered as she felt her stomach lurch.

Aric heard her stomach gurgle, noticed Mallay’s pale pallor, and shook his head, “I told you not to eat that stuff, sir!”

“Now’s not the time for ‘I told you so,’ Jorgan,” Mallay shot back, clutching her uneasy stomach as they walked up the stairs, “Ugh, you might have been right though….”

“You going to make it, sir?” Aric snickered as he heard more noises coming from Mallay’s abdominal region.

“I’m so glad this amuses you, Sergeant, and yes, I’m going to make it.” Mallay snapped, not at her best when feeling unwell.

“Well, just remember this the next time you think about ignoring my advice against eating Rodian food from a street vendor on the lower levels.” Aric retorted, shrugging off the murderous glare his CO was giving him.

“It smelled so good though,” Mallay whined, clutching her stomach as it lurched again. They stopped at the door of the Inquiry chambers. “Stars, I really don’t want to deal with this right now.”

“Just try not to throw up on anyone, sir,” Aric advised, a wicked gleam in his eyes, “I don’t think it will help senate and military relations very much.”

“I really hate you sometimes!” Mallay hissed as they entered the room.

Three Senators were standing in front of the chambers. One of them, the same man they saw on the Holo in General Garza’s office when they first arrived on Coruscant, introduced himself as Senator Arnus.

“Welcome, Lieutenant Lauren, please make yourself comfortable,” he told Mallay, gesturing to the row of chairs in front of him. “On behalf of the Galactic Senate, I would like to thank you for appearing on such short notice.”

Ugh, I don’t think comfortable is gonna happen, Mallay thought as she felt more unpleasant movement in her stomach, Stars, I think something is alive in there! She looked over at Jorgan and they both took a seat, Mallay taking one on the outside in case she needed to make a quick exit.

“It’s an honor to meet you, Senators,” Mallay replied, remembering her manners.

“We will try not to keep you from your duties very long, Lieutenant.” Senator Arnus assured her, then introduced the female Mirialan as Senator Voralla and the male Cathar as Senator Krasul. “We have a few questions for you regarding your recent assignment on Ord Mantell.” Mallay nodded and he continued, “Now as we understand, you were assigned to Havoc Squad when you arrived on Ord Mantell, is that correct?”

“That's correct, Senator.” Mallay replied weakly as she felt more intense movement from her stomach. I have a bad feeling about this….

“While serving on Ord Mantell, all of the members of Havoc Squad, excluding yourself, defected to the Sith Empire. Is that correct?”

“I’m unaware of any defections, Senator.” Mallay replied quickly, hating to lie, but understanding the necessity of it. However, the shifting contents of her stomach were a bigger concern and she really wanted to get out of there. Dammit, why did Jorgan have to be right about that karking food?! She thought anxiously, I swear, something is definitely alive in there and it’s putting up one hell of a fight!

“Lieutenant Lauren,” Senator Voralla spoke up gently, “I would like to remind you that if we don’t get satisfactory answers from you now, then we will have no choice but to open up a formal investigation.”

Oh, damn, I can’t let that happen, Mallay panicked, I’ll have to figure out a way to appease them, or at least distract them…..uh-oh, I think something is trying to fight its way out!! Mallay clutched her stomach harder as it started churning alarmingly. She noticed Jorgan looking at her out of the corner of her eye, trying not to smile, Jerk!

“Lieutenant, are you alright?” Senator Voralla asked her, genuine concern on her face.

“I’m fine, Senator,” Mallay assured her, I hope!

“Now, did Commander Tavus or any of the other members of Havoc Squad show signs of, say… instability, anger, or frustration?” Senator Arnus continued.

“I’m afraid I don’t know those people very well, Senator,” Mallay admitted truthfully, “I only met them a few days ago.” Oh no, here comes the saliva….not good, Mallay, not good at all!!

“Lieutenant Lauren, let us speak hypothetically.” Senator Arnus smiled at her, “Do you believe that anyone serving on Ord Mantell should have seen this situation coming?”

Mallay swallowed hard, desperately trying to keep the contents of her stomach from erupting, “I’m afraid I don’t understand what situation you are referring to, Senator.” She replied, starting to feel warm.

“He’s referring to the situation where your former squad mates defected to the Sith Empire and you refused to cooperate in the Senate Investigation, Lieutanant!” Senator Krasul barked at her, then his eyes narrowed as a loud gurgle came from the young woman in front of him. “Was that your stomach, Lieutenant?!”

Oh please, force be with me and keep me from throwing up on the senators! Mallay thought desperately as another loud gurgle escaped from her abdominal area.

“Lieutenant!” Senator Voralla blanched, “You look awful, are you sure you’re alright?!”

Mallay nodded, afraid to open her mouth at the moment and Senator Arnus, having also noticed Mallay’s intestinal discomfort, and the panicked look on her face, spoke quickly, “Just one more thing, Lieutenant, did Tavus or any of the others mention Ando Prime at all?”

Unfortunately, by the time the Senator finished his question, Mallay had lost the battle with the Rodian food in her stomach. She had just enough time to bolt out of her chair, grab the small trash container next to the door, and get into the hallway before getting violently sick.

The three senators were staring at the doorway and Aric simply shook his head and muttered, “I told her not to eat that stuff.”

“What did she eat?” Senator Voralla wondered, feeling sorry for the young woman who looked terrible as she ran out.

“Rodian food from a street vendor on the lower levels.” Aric replied.

“She actually ate from one of those vendors?!” Senator Krasul snorted, disbelief all over his face. “Is she crazy?!”

“I tried to warn her,” Aric insisted, “She just told me that I was being paranoid.”

“I thought everyone knew to avoid eating anything from the street vendors on the lower levels,” Senator Arnus admitted, “too many cases of food poisoning.”

A few minutes later, they watched an ashen faced Mallay return to the room, looking a little shaky. “I’m so very sorry about that, Senators,” she croaked, looking near tears.

“Think nothing of it, Lieutenant,” Senator Arnus reassured her, “I think we were finished here anyways.”

“You really should report to a med center, Lieutenant.” Senator Voralla told her, “The food poisoning from the lower levels can be serious.”

“Oh, and Lieutenant,” Senator Krazul chuckled, “In the future, you might want to avoid eating or drinking anything from the street vendors on the lower levels.”

Mallay nodded, thanked them for their understanding, and her and Jorgan left.

“Well, that was one way to get through the inquiry, sir,” Aric admitted, smiling, “I’m not sure I would recommend it, but it was effective.”

“Stuff it, Jorgan!” Mallay retorted, then her stomach lurched again and she ran to the refresher.

A little while later, Aric was wondering if he should go in and get his CO from the ladies’ room when Senator Voralla entered the hallway.

“Sergeant Jorgan,” She smiled, surprised to see him still around. Then she noticed where he was standing, “Is Lieutenant Lauren in there?”

“Yes, Senator and she’s been in there a while,” Aric admitted, hoping she would go in and see how Mallay was doing. He really wasn’t comfortable with the idea of going into the ladies’ room himself.

The senator patted his shoulder, “Don’t worry, Sergaent, I’ll go in and get her.” A few minutes later, the senator came back out, supporting a very pale, half conscious Mallay and dragging her cannon. “I don’t think she's going to be able to walk to the med center.”

“Stars, what was I thinking eating that crap?!” Mallay groaned, swaying a little as Aric took her cannon from Senator Voralla and secured it on his back next to his own. “I think it’s all out now, though….at least I hope it is!”

“I’m sure your stomach was doing the thinking, sir.” Aric told her, gently, “Let’s just hope it doesn’t do the thinking anymore.”

“Are you two going to make it alright? I can call someone if you need me to.” Senator Voralla offered.

Aric and Mallay declined, thanked her, and made their way slowly down the stairs to the med center, Aric supporting his CO. Aric could feel Mallay weakening and as soon as they got to the bottom of the stairs, he picked her up and carried her.

“You owe me, you know,” Aric insisted, “Just once, I want to hear you say that you were wrong and that you should’ve listened to me.”

“Really?! Fine, Sergeant Jorgan,” she told him hoarsely, unable to achieve her usual snarky tone, “I was wrong not to listen to your superior wisdom when you told me I shouldn't eat the food from that street vendor. I assure you, it won’t happen again.”

“See, that wasn’t so hard now was it, sir?!”

“Ugh, you make me sick!”

“No, street vendor Rodian food makes you sick, I just annoy you.”

“You definitely annoy me.”

“Yeah, but you think I have a good build and gorgeous green eyes,”

“Dammit, just how much did you hear in that cantina on Ord?”

“Quite a bit!”

“Well, I take it back!”

“What about me being warm and smelling nice?”

“When did I say that?!”

“On the shuttle from Ord….when you were snuggling up to me in your sleep.”

“Oh, that doesn’t count!”

“Oh, it definitely counts!”

“Stars, you’re such a turd sometimes!”

“But I’m a nice smelling turd.”

“Ok, I’ll give you that,” Mallay conceded weakly as Aric carried her into the med center, “You do smell nice.”

Note:

I have no idea if Rodian food is an actual thing that would be sold by a street vendor on Coruscant, but it sounded somewhat reasonable and exotic…..definitely something that could give you food poisoning if not purchased from a trusted source. Kinda like that commercial about buying sushi at a gas station….definitely not a good idea!! :eek:

Edited by alaurin

@alaurin, I love the bickering between those two at the end. And Jorgan’s right, nearly throwing up on the senators certainly would be one heckuva way to distract them :p

@Lady-Jean, I’ve missed Maldecka! I have a soft spot for Jawas anyway, and imagining her in that disguise - so cute!

@ Bright, I was worried for Wynston in Good/Bad Memories. Glad he turned around and went home instead. And for some reason I love the idea of Fixer 34's job being in mouse droid development.

NotLP: Gifts

With Kinka, Temple and Vector

Takes place a month or two after the last couple stories.

No spoilers. About 3000 words (yikes! i know:o)

Soft music wafted out of the Grand Imperial Hotel in the heart of Kaas City. The stately building was aglow with twinkling lights, making it easily the most beautiful thing on the void-forsaken planet. It still didn’t make Kinka any more eager to venture inside, but if nothing else it made a lovely sight to dread.

While a couple of weeks in the bowels of a Hutt palace held more allure than a night with the Imperial elite, Kinka had little choice in making the trip to the capitol. An elaborate lie had somehow made it safe for her to show her face there again, and a hand-written note from her mother demanded her presence at the Emperor’s Ball, a decadent affair held every ten years in celebration of the his reign.

All the excuses in the world couldn’t get her out of attending.

To Kinka’s chagrin, Rissia had even sent a selection of dresses along since, “the last time you were here, I nearly mistook you for one of the citadel slaves.” The note went on for two more pages after that, but Kinka tossed the remainder aside. She vowed to finish it the next time she mustered the patience for her mother’s elitist jabs, knowing full well she might never read the rest of it.

Once the sting of being dressed down and up abated, Kinka took to browsing the selections. They weren’t bad, she admitted, not at all. Each was sleek, silky and dark in color, and if anything, a bit more racy than she’d have figured her mother would choose. But then, Sith weren’t known for their modesty.

“You should wear that one.”

Ensign Temple was apologetic as Kinka jumped at the sound of her voice. It wasn’t entirely her fault; the agent had developed a habit of being easily startled when she was lost in thought. But still, Temple had been told to knock, on more than one occasion. “Sorry, sir. I didn’t mean to intrude. I just came for your signature on these.”

“It’s alright, Raina.” Kinka scribbled something that resembled a signature on the datapad with one hand, her other reaching into the wardrobe to examine Temple’s pick. It was the one dress in the bunch that didn’t scream “dark lord’s mistress.”

Kinka quickly pulled on the dress and stepped in front of the mirror for a better look. Temple had good taste after all. The lilac-hued gown of flowing shimmersilk clung to the agent’s slight frame in all the right places, the light material fluttering like frost-kissed petals with every movement. “It is nice, isn’t it?”

“Very,” Temple enthused. “I’ve always dreamed of going to the Emperor’s Ball. Of course, all those years hiding away on Hoth...it was never going to happen. But I can’t imagine anything more elegant and wonderful. All those important people there-”

“Making me want to stick a blaster to my head,” Kinka finished absentmindedly. She blushed soon after she said it. “I’m sorry, Raina. I should be more grateful. It’s just that I grew up around all the pomp and pageantry. I can assure you, a night at the Nexxus Room would have more elegance. “

Temple smiled politely, wholly unconvinced of that statement.

“I’m sure it will be lovely,” Kinka lied.

Lovely. Ha. A return trip to Belsavis would be more enjoyable than a night with the most obnoxious people in the Empire. But there she was anyway, slowly making her way into the grand ballroom.

Temple had been correct on one count — it was an impressively lavish affair, moreso than any of the other parties she’d been dragged to over the years. The ballroom was beautiful. Almost too beautiful to be an Imperial party.

Soft lights illuminated the cavernous space, lending the illusion of intimacy and warmth. An elaborate display of holos gave the entire room the appearance of a pristine meadow bounded by sweeping willows. Every half hour the scene shifted to portray a different season. It was currently summer, and little holo fireflies floated lazily through the air as an artificial breeze rustled the trees.

Kinka couldn’t remember the last time she felt so at ease in the capitol. Kaas City never did foster warm, fuzzy feelings. Too many rules to remember, too many ways to get zapped by unhinged, entitled Sith. This crowd was full of them, yet the atmosphere somehow dampened their overbearing presence.

Funny what a little artificial light will do.

Lord Rissia was nowhere in sight, but that wasn’t unexpected. Kinka’s mother often demanded a person’s presence only to ignore them for most of the night. It was just as well. Kinka preferred a glass of wine and people watching over playing catch-up with her mother any day.

Kinka found her table and took a seat, fighting the urge to kick off her already uncomfortable heels and prop her feet up on the chair beside her. It wouldn’t have mattered; no one paid much attention to her anyway. After all, she wasn’t Sith, and that put her squarely near the bottom of the VIP list. She was thankful for that small luxury. Small talk with these people was the last activity she wanted to engage in, and watching the crowd interact was much more interesting. So many lackeys trying to impress darths and generals that were already too drunk to notice. The ones that were really soused swatted clumsily at the little holo fireflies.

Too few kind faces populated the crowd, she noted, but that was expected. It was the absence of kind faces that made his so easy to spot. He stood among a small group of dignitaries from Arkania, smiling politely and laughing where necessary.

How long had it been? Six months? Seven? After the first two, Kinka hadn’t allowed herself to think of Vector. And with the therapy and the nights out with Kaliyo, things had eventually gotten better.

But now there he was, not thirty yards away.

She debated whether to run straight into his arms or to simply turn tail and take the coward’s way out. The thought of tracking him down and asking him to come back had crossed her mind more than once since he’d been gone; it would have been so easy with her contacts. But at the end of the day, she let it go. What if he was better off? She couldn’t stomach the idea of plucking him from a normal, happy existence just so she could feel better.

Vector charmed the VIPs from afar; he was so good the diplomatic thing. She wished she had his ease with people. Even before, she’d never found it easy. She could seduce and manipulate, but it was all about selling an elaborate lie. Honesty was much harder to peddle. It took a special sort for that. She wished she’d told him how much she admired his skills. Even with the change, he was more human than most.

Particularly human today, it seemed. Before she could think twice, Kinka was out of her seat and marching over to the small group across the room. They didn’t. They couldn’t.

They would, she knew. Of course they would.

Kinka boiled with anger. “What the hell did they do to you?” She took Vector’s face in her hands and peered into the human irises staring back at her.

The three dignitaries appeared startled by the uncouth interruption but were altogether uninterested in the exchange. It took only a moment for them to meander off to find more alcohol and better company. Vector, meanwhile, took Kinka’s hand and led her to a nearby table.

“Did they force this on you? I swear I will put blaster bolts in whomever did this.”

“It’s alright, agent," he assured her. "This isn’t a permanent change, although if some in the diplomatic service had their way, it would be. My superiors sometimes think it best if I repress the bond with the hive during high-profile events. They believe some people might be put off by my being a Joiner.”

“Yes, and I’m sure they’re just fine with the idea,” she snapped, well aware of his superiors’ poorly concealed prejudices. “You just give in to them every time they want to trot you out for parties? That’s about the most disgusting thing I’ve heard in a long time. How dare they make you go through that. Don’t they know the strain it puts on you?”

“I have come to accept that some people will never understand.” His voice was weary, and there was a hint of defensiveness just beneath the surface. “If it allows me the freedom to continue being a diplomat, I can make the sacrifice.”

“Oh, Vector.”

Kinka reflexively placed her hand over his, and a heavy silence settled between them. She expected a dozen questions, a whole discourse on why she left him behind. Instead, Vector stood and offered his hand.

Kinka stared at him a moment before she realized what he was asking. “Vector, I don’t dance.” She looked up at him through her thick, heavily made-up lashes to see him smile in a way that said he could convince her to do just about anything if he wanted.

“Come on,” he urged, “humor me.” He pulled her out of the chair before she could say no again and drew her in close, more forcefully than he ever had in their time together. His embrace was firm, but the touch was gentle against the thin shimmersilk.

It had been so long since she felt him that close, but everything was just as she’d remembered. His scent, the sly smile, the way he cradled her like the most fragile of beings. Kinka’s heart sped as his hand settled in at the small of her back, conjuring the memory of their first time together. She began to wonder if he felt the same when he started to move their bodies to the music.

Kinka glanced at the more well heeled couples spinning gracefully around the floor and grimaced. “I feel silly.” And about as graceful as a vorantikus.

“Don’t think about them. Just concentrate on our movement.” He held her even tighter, eliminating the tasteful space between them, and bowed his head to whisper in her ear. “It’s only the two of us that matters.”

His voice was low, intoxicating. Memory was insufficient to do justice to how lovely it was. She wanted nothing more than to take him back to her ship and listen to him talk for hours on end. Well, she thought, I can think of a few other things I’d like to take him back to the ship for.

“You’re smiling, agent.”

“Am I?”

“I think you’re starting to enjoy dancing.”

“Or maybe I’m just enjoying you being so close.”

Vector brought them to an abrupt halt and frowned. “You’re flirting with me.” His voice registered disappointment that she didn’t understand.

“Yes, and?”

“You flirt with men who don’t mean anything to you.” The words were spoken as fact. He had no reason not to reach that conclusion; it was a scene that had played out a dozen times before. But the accusation stung.

“I used to flirt with you all the time. I don’t understand—” It was nerves, plain and simple. She didn’t know how to explain.

“That was in the beginning. We were closer than that.” His frown cut deeper than a knife. “We-I wanted to be with you forever. I thought...I thought you wanted that.”

“I did want that. I wanted to wake up next to you every morning and spend our days doing the most mundane things. I wanted us to raise a family together. I wanted forever for us. But I was afraid that if you stayed, we’d see the end of forever sooner than either of us would have wanted.”

He still held her close, unwilling to let go even though they were no longer dancing.“I’d trade a hundred years of loneliness for one more day with you. I’d trade my sight, my senses, anything I might ever be or ever do. If you asked it of me, I would even trade the hive for you. More than anything, I wish that you understood that.”

He was right, of course. She had finally settled in a place where she could see that. And although he hadn’t asked for one, he deserved a proper explanation, however silly it sounded now.

“I was damaged beyond what I could even fathom, Vector. I hadn’t been myself since the awfulness with Vekkz, and it wasn’t just about my injuries or being betrayed by her. In the end, it was the realization that some day somebody might decide to thurt you to get to me, and I wouldn’t be able to stop them. I couldn’t even save my own sister. The decisions I made were stupid; I realize that now. But at the time, nothing else seemed logical.” She was rambling now, but the words wouldn’t stop tumbling out. “And tonight...I didn’t expect to come here and see you. It was the last thing I ever imagined. You have no idea how nervous I am right now. I was so lost for so long... ”

“I wanted to help you.”

Kinka laid her head on his shoulder, trying to keep tears from spilling down her cheeks. “I know.”

As the music slowed, the holo fireflies became winter snowflakes, and Vector began to lead them once more. “Did you meet anyone else after?”

“No,” she said softly. “There could never be anyone else.” Kinka drew in a sharp breath, afraid of the question that had to follow. “Did you?”

“I met people, of course, but I did not encounter anyone who understood my situation the way you did. They all expect that I want to be cured, or they want to use the joining for their own objectives. It’s been more lonely than I imagined.”

“I shouldn’t have left you.” She lifted her head to look into his eyes, to make sure he knew. “I know that now, but at the time, I was just so scared. That’s how much I love you. It would have killed me to see you hurt or dead.”

“You still love me?” There was a twinkle in his eye at that, and Kinka let herself smile.

“Oh, yes.”

Before he could think to reply, she pulled his face down to meet hers in a kiss that would’ve melted the holo snowflakes if they’d been real. It was an improper display for such a public place, but she didn’t care. Let them stare and speculate. They weren’t taking that moment from her.

“Do you have a place we can go?” she asked breathlessly. “An apartment?”

“I-we...were living...on Alderaan,” he replied between kisses, the bond with the hive returning, “but...we have...a room upstairs.”

“Let’s go.”

Daylight slipped through the heavy dark curtains to bathe Kinka’s bare skin in soothing sunlight, or what counted as sunlight on Dromund Kaas. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open at a light rapping from somewhere across the room. She smiled at the sight of Vector walking toward it. He paused to grab the crumpled white bedsheet from the floor and slung it around his waist just before answering the door. That was a sight she’d sorely missed over the past few months. As he dealt with the interruption, for the first time ever Kinka found herself wishing she were Force sensitive.

She closed her eyes and imagined a different life, one where she could make that blasted sheet fall to the floor with a flick of her wrist. Ah well, she thought, there’s something to be said for using your hands.

By the time the door closed, Kinka was grinning with glee, her eyes still shut but her imagination working better than ever.

“Agent, we have something for you.” She giggled at the sound of his voice, still caught up in the daydream, but she shifted her gaze to the cart he’d wheeled over.

“For me?” On a silver tray was a bottle of vintage Corellian whiskey, along with a note. “Who would know I’d be staying here?” she murmured. Ignoring the booze, she tore open the paper and had to glance at it twice to make sure she’d read correctly.

You owe me, Agent.

-P.S. Tell Bugboy he’d better keep his insects outta my stuff this time.

“Well, I’ll be damned.”

“What is it, agent?”

Kinka couldn’t stop the smile from spreading as she handed him the note. She didn’t know how or why Kaliyo orchestrated the reunion, aside from the ominous promise of owing her someday, but that hardly mattered. Ulterior motive or not, it was the best gift Kinka had ever received.

“What do you say? Shall we go home?”

Vector set the note aside and rejoined Kinka on the bed, planting a firm kiss on her exposed shoulder. “We’ve been home since you walked up to us last night. And if you’ll have us-”

“Yes,” she said, before he could finish the sentence. Kinka turned to look at him, taking his hands in hers. There were still things that needed to be said, things she should have told a long time before. “The thing is, I never wanted to be a better person until I met you. I know that sounds cliche, and maybe even weak. But I can say this because I’m not weak. I can take care of myself just fine. I didn’t need rescuing, but I did need saving. There is a difference, subtle but important, in that. I can’t promise you that I’m completely better. I still wake up with nightmares most nights, and every now and then I feel like I’m going to drown in the middle of a crowd, but my head is clear. I know my place, and I know yours. The thing is, will you still have me?”

Vector kissed her softly, caressing every inch of the agent as they settled back into bed. And without saying a word, he answered her question.

Kaliyo probably seems like an odd choice to be the one to do something so nice. But I figure she's doing it from a completely selfish standpoint. She likes the thought of somebody owing her, and more than anything she's really just tired of the agent's moping.

Ack, behind again.

@ DarthSillyMonkey: I have to agree with you, I see Keeper as an Operative. And what a great backstory for an agent!

@ Lesaberisa: Waking up to a pair of droid eyes glowing eerily in the darkness...C2’s lucky he’s not sliced in half.

@ Bright: Still really enjoying Winston’s journey. I like seeing him just slightly out of his element. Like he’s missing a shoe, or operating in a foreign language. Everything still works, its just not quite right and not quite comfortable yet. “Regale me with tales of the expensive things you’ve broken...” I love this line.

@ YoshiRalphElan: Nice look at Havoc from the outside. I think you have the sense of it right: everyone’s heard of them, but very few have seen them in action.

@ Irish: Welcome back! I doubt anyone wants a spectral matchmaker, Geltie least of all.

@ Marissalf: Using Kinka’s letters to her father as a way to explore her thoughts is great. I like how she’s casting about, trying to find out what’s wrong and fix it. Realizing, belatedly, she may have gotten rid of the tool she needs.

(edit to add) Their reconciliation was so sweet. I especially liked her line that she didn't need rescuing, but she did need saving.

Plus, Lokin’s “It’s a phase; it’ll pass” made me smile for some silly reason. It sounded so like him.

@ Lady-Jean: Both of these stories were lovely. I especially liked Maladecka hoping her first injury would scar. And Zarro’s reaction, which he tried to hide.

@ Alaurin: I’m almost surprised Mallay forgave Aric the “I told you so”. In public, at the hearing. He’s lucky she missed her chance to throw him under the bus.

Edited by Striges

Because you guys keep writing great stuff, I have once again posted more comments!

@Marissalf: Sunshine! HAH! I could see Kaliyo be more than willing to knock the cheerful out of Temple. I like the the letters to her father framing the story. Very nice touch. The return of Vector was very touching, especially after reading the previous two stories. Kaliyo being nice I can totally get behind, mainly because it throws you off, and she doesn't like to be pegged.

@Lady-Jean: Maldecka is AWESOME!. Seeing the world of the Jedi through a child's eyes would be amazing. Love the father/daughter aspect to the story too (having a daughter myself, I'm a bit biased :D )

@Bright: More Wynston, please. That is all.

@Alaurin: I have two Troopers, both have been through that scenario, and both times I wanted to get up and walk out while giving the senate the middle finger. You're way out was WAY better though. lol. Nice use of an in game incident there!

@

So, after reading Marissalf's Agent story, I began to think "What would happen if you actually lost one of your companions?". Each one fills a role in your playstyle, even if it's just to go get stuff (I'm looking at you Tanno Vic).

This was born from that thought line.

Prompt: Working Out The Kinks (specifically When has any plan ever worked on the first try? Write about a time your character's efforts met reality and didn't go as perfectly as intended.)

Class: Bounty Hunter (Drokk'it)

Title: The Interview

Words: 3200'ish (I know, I know. I need to learn to write smaller...)

Spoliers: Companion Romance option reveal for Mako. Takes place after the end of Chap.3 BH Storyline

Drokk'it walked through the entry hatch, "Ugh, what a piece of work that guy was. Tried to lowball us on the bounty price so I cut him loose. We'll need to ffff.. ind.. a ..ne--- what? What is it?" asked Drokk'it. Mako and Blizz had come running up and Mako looked stressed.

Blizz launched into that psuedo-Huttese he spoke, babbling a mile a minute "It wasn't Blizz, boss! Blizz minding business! Fixes boss' ship, weapons, stuff!! Blizz not know what happ--" Mako stepped in front of the hyperactive little Jawa.

"Gault's left the crew, Drokk. He said he was tired of being holed up in this 'tin can'. Said he could do better elsewhere without, and I quote, 'a semi literate Kintan and hyper-kinetic Corellian tree chimp always in his way.'

What do you want to do? Gault's a pain, but we sort of need a fifth at this point."

Drokk ran his armored hand over his head and scratched the back of it in thought. "Well Makes, we don't have any other choice. We'll have to interview for new crew", he said with an exasperated sigh.

"Really, is it so hard to pronounce an 'O' sound for you? You get so close then you blow it. Mak-O, Mak-O." She poked Drokk in the chest armor.

"You do remember how that went the last time we interviewed potentials, right?" A pained look crossed her face.

Blizz started chattering excitedly and jumping up and down "YAY! Blizz meet new people!"

"Yeah, I remember." Boy, did he remember, "but it'll be different now, we're famous! All the real professionals will be itching to work with us! Put the word out in all the usual places, and let's head to Nar Shadda. We'll conduct the interviews on ship so people can see what they're getting into."

Mako had set up the flimsy portable table and chairs so that the applicants would have a solid view of the figure in carbonite hanging on the wall behind them. Looks more professional and intimidating this way.

The interviews would take place in the cargo hatch, with the door to the engine room closed.

Drokk came over, sat down, and motioned at Torian, "How's it looking?"

Torian, in full armor minus the helmet, took a look at the security monitor. "Seems to be a big line. A lot of people want to be part of your crew, it seems. Just say the word."

Drokk looked at Mako. Mako looked at Drokk. Both were apprehensive.

Drokk sighed, "Go ahead. Let the first one in."

Torian opened the door and a young man walked in wearing baggy shorts and a hooded shirt. He looked nervous. He was fighting back a smile, while looking around in wonder.

Awww, that's sort of cute. Reminds me of the first time Braden brought me into the team. Mako motioned him over to the table. "Please, take a seat. There's water in the pitcher, if you want some."

Drokk, as usual when he was nervous, got right to business. "Ok", he looked at the tablet display, "uhh, Biff. Biff, why do you want to be a Hunter?"

Biff looked around, still fighting back a smile. "I uh, want to, uhm, see the galaxy and stuff."

Drokk's brow furrowed.

Mako winced. Uh oh, go easy on him Drokk, go easy.

"What sort of skills do you have that makes you hunter material?"

Biff was squirming like he was about to wet himself. "I...uh... I can... uhm... PAPPA LOUIE!! PAPPA LOUIE!! ZOWAD ZERN'S TENTICLES!" Biff jumped up and a group of tiny round balls dropped out of his shorts.

Drokk's eyes widened as he jumped Mako, knocking her out of the chair, and covering her with his body as he yelled "BOMB! BOMB!"

There were tiny explosions and a bright flash, as smoke began to fill the cargo hatch.

Torian yelled out "GAS! GAS! GAS!" Everyone held their breath...

... and then Skadge stormed to the landing from upstairs "What the hell smells like a Hutt's ***?! Knock it off down there! I'm trying to sleep!" Drokk opened one eye and sniffed, then promptly wish he hadn't. This was worse than the swamps on Hutta.

"Oh my *gag*!" Mako threw up in her mouth a little, "these are stink bombs! It'll take at least a day of scrubbing to get the stench out. GROSS!"

Torian flipped on the fans and dispersed the gas.

Biff lay on the ground, retching. Drokk stomped over and grabbed him by his collar and pulled him up "Why you...!"

"DROKK! Don't kill him!" Mako yelled

"Kill him? 'Bout damn time I get to kill someone around here" Skadge pulled out a large knife and started down the stairs.

Torian rushed over and tried to insert himself between Drokk and Biff "There's no honor in hunting this one!"

Skadge was stomping over "Honor, schmonor! I was told we can kill him!"

Biff looked at the advancing Houk and proceeded to relieve himself... all over his shorts and Drokk's boots.

Drokk looked down. Looked up at Biff. His face turned red. He started fumbling for his blaster. "Skadge is right... we should kill him."

Torian was on one arm, Mako jumped on the other one, now holding a very recently obtained blaster "Would you get a hold of yourself?! You just agreed with Skadge!!"

Drokk looked over at Mako in confused amazement.

Skadge palmed Biff's head. "I'm gonna enjoy this!"

"STAND DOWN, SKADGE!" Drokk yelled.

Skadge stopped squeezing Biff's head. "But I thought you said..."

Drokk let go of Biff, stepped away and threw his hands up. "Ok, kid, who sent you? And you got one chance before I lose my cool... again"

Biff was sobbing, snot running down his face, Skadge still palming his head. He looked pathetic. "I--I'm just pledging for Thi Gamma Gamma at Coruscant U! I'm sorry! They made me do this!"

Drokk's jaw dropped in amazement. Mako face palmed. Torian looked confused. Skadge looked hopeful, "Does this mean we can kill him now?"

"Are you SERIOUS?!" Mako shot a look at Skadge, who shrugged.

Drokk got into Biff's face. "You use whatever device you're recording this with. You call your friends at Thi Gamma." he said soft and menacingly, "You tell them to come down here or I'm coming for them, and I'm bringing my buddy Skadge here." He looked at Skadge, "Let him go now."

Biff whimpered and nodded.

"Torian," Drokk said in an exhausted tone, "tell the people out there we had an equipment malfunction. They'll have to come back tomorrow." He turned to Biff, "You get out there and wait for your friends. You guys are going to scrub my cargo bay clean. And if that video makes it to the holonet? Skadge here will come see you about it."

Biff nodded and hurriedly left.

Drokk looked at his boots, then looked at Mako. "Tell me it can only get better from here on out."

Next day, 5th applicant...

"What makes you think you can cut it as a hunter... uhh, Dex?" Drokk asked

"Well, my dad's making me get a job, and I watched a lot of holovids of Bounty Hunters and I thought Man! that's awesome! All flying around, fighting bad guys, getting PAID *pew pew*' Dex made guns with his fingers. "Plus, y'know, Jedis already turned me down,sooo...."

Drokk's jaw dropped.

Mako's eyes rolled as she face palmed. There was a bruise forming.

"NEXT!"

11th applicant...

The two girls, college age, sat excitedly at the table

"O.M.G, we are SUCH big fans!"

"HUGE fans"

"You're, like, all over the holonet, doin' your thing an' all that, and like, totally hot."

"TOTES hottie!"

"And we were, like, TOTALLY stoked that we could be a part of your... what is this, a gang? It's SO awesome!"

"TOTES Awesome!"

"So, like, do we have to shoot stuff and some junk? I mean, I can, but I don't want to have to do anything too gross"

"OMG, nothing gross. YUUUCK!"

Drokk looked at the girls in disbelief, "I had to cut the heads off bounties for Nem'ro the Hut a few times."

"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! NASTY!", they said in unison, slapping each other's hands.

Mako face palmed. It hurt, because at this point, it had become a bruise.

"So, like, none of that, but we will TOTALLY do undercover work, cause like, the outfits are so awesome."

"SOOO awesome, like SPIES!"

"So where do we, like, put our stuff 'n some junk?"

Drokk's forehead hit the table.

After the 16th applicant...

"So far we've talked to a Rodian who kept griping about how he always shoots first, but somebody keep changing the video, a gunslinger who kept asking me if I felt lucky and calling me 'punk', and a droid named PAL who, for every question about his abilities I asked, would only answer 'I'm afraid I can't do that'!"

"That's it. I'm going to go kill someone. I don't care if they're a bounty or not. People need to be shot" Drokk got up from the table.

"You can't just leave me! Don't forget, we're a team, all right?" Mako stood up in exasperation

"You're right, and because we're a team, I trust you to handle this... with Torian's help!" Drokk put his arm around Torian's shoulder and grinned a big wide grin.

Torian looked over in surprise, "What?! Hey, don't bring me int--."

"You'll do great!" Drokk slapped Torian's shoulder as he ran out the door.

Mako face palmed the bandaged spot on her head.

17th applicant...

"So, Ms., uhhh, Supernova, what makes you qualified for this position?" Mako asked the gorgeous, scantily dressed Twi'lek applicant.

Supernova looked Mako up and down for a second "Well honey, if they hired you..."

"Now wait just a gol damned min--"

"I know, I know. It takes all kinds. Been in this business for nearly 15 years. Got to have all kinds to make a team run, keep customers happy, am I right?" the Twi'lek said with a smile. "By the way, does the cutie here say anything or is he just window dressing?" She gestured at Torian

"I... uh... well..." Torian blushed.

Mako's eye twitched as she worked to hide her aggravation with a smile. "Yes Torian, cutie, why don't you ask Ms. Supernova a question?"

The Twi'lek winked at him, "Go ahead, sweetie. I won't bite... unless you like that sort of thing."

"Uhmmm, o-ok." Torian looked at the prompt Mako provided him "What sort of.. of skills would you bring to the team?"

"Oh, honey, I thought you'd never ask" The Twi'lek swung her leg wide as she swung around the chair and began dancing with it as a prop.

Mako's jaw dropped. Torian flushed so red, he looked like his head was going to explode.

Mako nudged Torian... hard.

"Ahhh, uhhhh... what... what are your... wow, bouncy....uhm, assets in the... uhm, in the... whoa, bendy... the field?" Torian was sweating now.

"Oh you want to see my assets?" Supernova danced over to the table, bent over and flipped her skirt up, then slapped her ***.

"You're hired!" Torian said, right before Mako slapped him upside the head.

"No you're not! What the hell job do you think you're applying for lady?!"

Supernova re-arranged her skirt, turned around, and snapped at Mako "Look, YOU'RE the one who put in the ad 'will be required to strip tease'!"

"No, we didn't! How is that going to help us catch marks?! It said you will be required to skip trace!"

Supernova stood there pointing at Mako, mouth open, but no words coming out for a moment, then she straightened up and cocked her head quizzically, "Wait, wasn't the ad for the galaxy famous Booty Hunter? The renowned chain of all-nude bars?"

Mako wiped her hand down her face in exasperation. "No, it was for galaxy famous BOUNTY Hunter. Get out, and get some glasses."

"Oh. Oh man. I am so sorry." Supernova apologized as she backed towards the door, "Honey I didn't mean anything by it, I'm really sorry."

"It's ok, really," Mako said with a sigh, "I hope you get hired at that other place."

The Twi'lek poked her head back in the door quickly and looked at Torian, "Hey handsome, my real name is Gree'sa. Look me up if you come into town", then she blew him a kiss and left

"Torian... you're fired."

Right before the 25th applicant...

"That's it, I can't do this anymore. Someone please shoot me!" Mako jumped up and looked around for Skadge, "forgot I need to be careful when I say that."

Torian looked up, "Look, Mako, I don't think any of these people are qualified. The one guy we liked got Skadge's approval, which made him ineligible. We're both tired and Drokk hasn't come back yet. I say we go hunt and blow off some steam."

"Torian, if by 'hunt' you mean 'order from a decent restaurant on the boss' account' then I'm with you. Let's go."

Mako knocked on the engine room door "Blizz? We're leaving for a bit. Hold down the ship and we'll bring you back some sweet treats." Then they left.

The engine room door slid open and Blizz poked his head out

The 25th applicant...

Edmund walked up to large, dirty metal door. Ok, Edmund. Time to impress! He knocked on the door.

No answer. Did he miss the interviews? Putting that spreadsheet together hadn't taken that long had it? He knocked again

This time the large door in front of Edmund creaked open... but no one was there...

Edmund looked down and saw a Jawa in a dirty robe waving him in. Oh, he must be greeting people. Odd, but go with the flow Edmund old boy!

The Jawa took him by the hand and led him over to a table, then ran around it and climbed into a chair.

"A kibba badda huna!", it said while gesturing wildly

"I.. I'm sorry, what?"

"A kibba badda huna!" It pointed to a water pitcher at the end of the table.

"Oh... uh, right. thanks." Edmund poured himself a glass of water.

The Jawa straightened some notes in front of him.

"Aaaa bidda wokkie comba...aaaa... tonie?"

"What? I'm sorry I don't unders--"

"Aaaa bidda wokkie comba tonie?" The Jawa stood on the chair and started waving his arms and making things with his fingers

"No, you see, I don't speak--"

"Kebeda nokka goddie goddie wanna bonga!"

"I beg your pardon?!"

The Jawa pulled back it's middle finger and flicked it at Edmund "Nona... aaaa, nona noongy wachoba badda chobie!" it said in an excited voice.

"Now see here, I want to speak to whoever's in ch--"

"Ootogie bonga kowan chu luga!" The Jawa put his hand on his hips and turned his head to the side.

"I don't have to take this from some unkempt rat-scavenger!! I have a Masters in Galactic Finance from Corellia's Garvard University!! I graduated at the top of my class! You...you're just a trained monkey!"

"Goonta taga! Goonta taga eleggie gina taiga!" The Jawa waved his hands in front of him frantically, then turned them over and made a "come to me" motion with his fingers.

"You know what? I don't NEED a career change this badly!! You can tell your... your... master, that he lost out on the best accountant in 12 quadrants! He can wanna bonga on that, you dirty little nerf-herder! GOOD DAY!"

Edmund got up and stormed out. The Jawa, still chattering, followed him to the door, not quieting down until Edmund was down the ramp and out of sight.

Blizz's shoulders slumped and his head hung low as he closed the cargo bay door.

Blizz just want to help Boss and Mako. They work hard today. Blizz only explain why ship so good to be on. Why crew so fun to be with. Why weird man so mean to Blizz?

Blizz slowly shuffled back towards the engine room.

Day 3

"Where's Skadge?"

"Oh man, I don't know! He left yesterday during the interviews. Security hasn't shown up though, so that's a good thing, right?"

"Mako, I don't know if I can do this again." Drokk looked at the interview seat. "Are we sure we can't do this with four people?"

"I don't think so. I'm already overwhelmed as it is. I have Torian to help with selecting bounties when you're out, but he's more interested in how tough they are to hunt than the cash we bring in. Blizz is great when I'm creating new cybertech, and he's a great haggler on supplies, but other than when he's with you, no one will talk to a Jawa..."

Drokk cut in "Speaking of Blizz, any reason he's locked himself in the engine room?"

"Not that I know of, he was like that when Torian and I got back last night" Mako got back to topic, "... and Skadge is only good for beating on stuff and lifting things, and he only mainly lifts his own carcass to do what he wants. I don't even know why he stays around. I think he hates it here. He sure *****es about it enough."

"Maybe, who knows? Gault was a pain in the ***, but I gotta tell you Makes, I sort of miss him."

"First, It's Mako. I mean, really, you'd think you could remember now that we're married. Second, and if you tell anyone this I will kill you in your sleep... I sort of miss him too."

*WHAM!* The cargo bay exit slammed open, and Skadge walked in carrying Gault by back of his collar. "Here, I got you a present. Now can we go? I'm bored with this place. You never let me out when we're in Nar Shadda!" He tossed Gault onto the interview table and stomped up the steps, mumbling, "You beat people with a bounty, you're okay, but you kill just one Sith apprentice...."

Gault picked himself up and brushed himself off. "Guys."

"Hey Gault. Fancy meeting you here."

"I'm going to go check on Blizz" Mako opened the door to the engine room, entered. and pulled it shut.

Gault looked around. "So, the big kintan ape up there tells me you guys are having issues filling my spot?"

"We've had plenty of applicants, actually" Drokk said, looking at his fingers

"Uh huh." The corner of Gault's mouth twisted in a smirk. "But nobody chosen yet."

"We still have a ton of applicants coming today. Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"Actually, yeah, about that..." Gault reached into his pack and pulled out a flask, "care to discuss some things over a drink?"

Mako waited, and waited, but couldn't wait anymore, the suspense was killing her. She came out of the engine room to the sounds of laughter.

"No, I swear to you. Gault, this guy looks Mako right in the eye and says 'Qualifications? Do you know what I am? I'm a Juggernaut, *****!'"

Mako put her hands on her hips and cocked them, "So... is Gault coming with us then?"

Drokk looked at Gault, who shrugged his shoulders. He looked back at Mako "Dunno yet. We're working on it."

"Ah. Well, anyway, I found out why Blizz is holed up in there..."

Mako explained what Blizz had told her about the man he interviewed.

"Is that so..." Drokk got up.

"Mako, get the crew together. Looks like we're taking a family trip."

Drokk looked over at Gault, "You coming?"

Gault laughed a quick, silent laugh, shook his head, and threw back his drink. Heh, these guys...

"Why not? So, who are we shooting today?"

Replies:

DarthSillyMonkey that was pure genius! I would have laughed harder had I not been at work! I can hear Mako's annoyance with being called Makes. He he.

Oh Bright...I wish I could read more of what you write but I dont want to ruin the Agent story line so I must hurry up and finished it. *drags popcorn over from Bright to the Agent class.*

Lady-Jean: Always amusing! Love the banter and the fact that the pairing are getting a reputation!

Alaurin: I feel for Mallay so much! Being sick sucks but it was a great way to finish that meeting with the senators off! Her and Aric are getting on brilliantly...hehe. Im tempted to roll a female Trooper such to watch the two of them squirm. Its so cringe some times but good cringe!

Thanks all for making my day so much better.

*pokes head out. Is it safe out in the real world yet??*

“I shouldn’t have left you.” She lifted her head to look into his eyes, to make sure he knew. “I know that now, but at the time, I was just so scared. That’s how much I love you. It would have killed me to see you hurt or dead.”

“You still love me?” There was a twinkle in his eye at that, and Kinka let herself smile.

“Oh, yes.”

*melts* :p

"So far we've talked to a Rodian who kept griping about how he always shoots first, but somebody keep changing the video, a gunslinger who kept asking me if I felt lucky and calling me 'punk', and a droid named PAL who, for every question about his abilities I asked, would only answer 'I'm afraid I can't do that'!"

. . .

"No, I swear to you. Gault, this guy looks Mako right in the eye and says 'Qualifications? Do you know what I am? I'm a Juggernaut, *****!'"

Bahahahahahhahahah!

Comments:

@Lady-Jean I should echo Striges, the idea that Maldecka looks forward to scarring is a great cultural touch.

@alaurin, oh, poor Mallay...I imagine the sketchiness of street food is compounded doubly by a multi-species setting where what's good for one customer may be awful for the next.

@Leonara I can't recommend the Agent class highly enough. There were one or two points where I thought "This plot device is overpowered and it'll probably end up stupid," but it all turned out brilliantly.

@marissalf Your Gifts piece is meltworthy on just about every line. And yeah, I figure Kaliyo would be very happy to nudge Kinka out of her angstfest. As a side note (Vector spoilers),

a male Agent never sees Vector learning to suppress the pheromonic bond.

Just a peculiarity of the story.

@DarthSillyMonkey I love this piece. I love it.

You get so close then you blow it.
I shouldn't delight so in Mako's discomfiture, but this is a wonderful line.

The frat pledge is so aggravating, plausible, and hilarious, all at once. Your entire applicant list is great.

Reply:

“Regale me with tales of the expensive things you’ve broken...” I love this line.

After seeing all the things the Agent sabotages and leaves in ruins, I can't help but wonder whether the Fixers get a slightly different recruitment speech. "This isn't glamorous work. We are sanitation workers, we clean up after the military, the Sith, and the Ciphers, and do the jobs no one else will..."

Edited by bright_ephemera

The Jawa took him by the hand and led him over to a table, then ran around it and climbed into a chair.

"A kibba badda huna!", it said while gesturing wildly

"I.. I'm sorry, what?"

"A kibba badda huna!" It pointed to a water pitcher at the end of the table.

"Oh... uh, right. thanks." Edmund poured himself a glass of water.

The Jawa straightened some notes in front of him.

"Aaaa bidda wokkie comba...aaaa... tonie?"

"What? I'm sorry I don't unders--"

"Aaaa bidda wokkie comba tonie?" The Jawa stood on the chair and started waving his arms and making things with his fingers

"No, you see, I don't speak--"

"Kebeda nokka goddie goddie wanna bonga!"

"I beg your pardon?!"

The Jawa pulled back it's middle finger and flicked it at Edmund "Nona... aaaa, nona noongy wachoba badda chobie!" it said in an excited voice.

"Now see here, I want to speak to whoever's in ch--"

"Ootogie bonga kowan chu luga!" The Jawa put his hand on his hips and turned his head to the side.

"I don't have to take this from some unkempt rat-scavenger!! I have a Masters in Galactic Finance from Corellia's Garvard University!! I graduated at the top of my class! You...you're just a trained monkey!"

"Goonta taga! Goonta taga eleggie gina taiga!" The Jawa waved his hands in front of him frantically, then turned them over and made a "come to me" motion with his fingers.

"You know what? I don't NEED a career change this badly!! You can tell your... your... master, that he lost out on the best accountant in 12 quadrants! He can wanna bonga on that, you dirty little nerf-herder! GOOD DAY!"

Edmund got up and stormed out. The Jawa, still chattering, followed him to the door, not quieting down until Edmund was down the ramp and out of sight.

Blizz's shoulders slumped and his head hung low as he closed the cargo bay door.

Blizz just want to help Boss and Mako. They work hard today. Blizz only explain why ship so good to be on. Why crew so fun to be with. Why weird man so mean to Blizz?

Blizz slowly shuffled back towards the engine room.

This part nearly had me rolling. Great stuff!

Drokk cut in "Speaking of Blizz, any reason he's locked himself in the engine room?"

"Not that I know of, he was like that when Torian and I got back last night" Mako got back to topic

And this part made me go aww. :(

@ bright_ephemera: Wynston’s communication breakdown had me snickering. Excellent job in four lines : )

@ alaurin: Snarky Jorgan is awesome. You really have a knack for creating a fun dynamic between Jorgan and Mallay.

@marissalf: Awwww. I’m so glad their back together! And the holo-fireflies and snowflakes were a really cool thing to add.

@DarthSillyMonkey: Oh noze! I read your comment after I wrote this next story. Glad you like the dynamic they got anyway. Drokk’it is great. I love the image of lines of unqualified fans wandering about. : )

Maldecka the Kid #21

Abt 700 words in 1 hour.

SPOILERS: Orgus in in this one so JK Prologue spoilers

Parenthood - Many of our characters either have issues with their parents, are parents themselves, or both. Parents can make things complicated, whether it's simply the generational gap or the fact that they aren't great parents.

Orgus watched Zarro and Maldecka with a bemused smile. Then had bumped into each other at one of the Jedi Houses, places in the galaxy for temple rest without having to travel all the way back to Tython. This Jedi House sat on a tropical island, surrounded by crystal clear water and beautiful coral reefs.

A delighted giggle drew Orgus back to the objects of his attention. Zarro and Maldecka had been sparring, but that quickly devolved into some sort of game of tag. Orgus grinned. He knew Zarro would be the better Master for Maldecka.

When Zarro stopped and glanced over at him Orgus stepped out into the sunlight.

"Master Orgus! I thought you were still meditating in the gardens!" Maldecka sprinted right over to him.

Feeling playful Orgus scooped her up and tossed her onto his shoulder before continuing over to Zarro. Maldecka giggled and attempted to escape. Orgus quickly let her, given how fast her growth spurts were happening he wouldn't get away with that much more.

"I felt like coming to see you two. Besides, it's your birthday Mal. Got to give you a challenge."

Maldecka was practically skipping at his side, "What's the challenge? Is it rock climbing? Hunting?"

Zarro shook his head, "Sunbeam, be polite and let him finish."

Maldecka flushed red and stood at Zarro's side, "Sorry Master Orgus."

Orgus grinned and pulled a small parcel out of his pocket, "You can swim, right Mal?"

Maldecka looked up, eyes wide and eager, "Yes."

Orgus grinned and held up the parcel, "Good, go fetch this."

With that he pulled back his arm and tossed the parcel as far out to sea as he could.

Maldecka wasted no time kicking of her shoes and top layer. Clad in just pants and undershirt she sprinted for the water and quickly dived in.

Orgus laughed lightly and turned back to Zarro. The look on Zarro's face immediately brought Orgus back down.

"What?"

Zarro crossed his arms, "What? What are you thinking!"

Orgus lifted an eyebrow, "You did say I could come up with the challenge this year..."

Zarro glared at him, "I expected you to come up with something safe."

Orgus tilted his head, "She climbed a decaying tower when she was six."

Zarro barred his teeth, "There are sharks out there! And riptides! She could cut herself on the coral and get an infection!"

Orgus was speechless. Stunned. He knew something was bothering Zarro since Maldecka got hurt on one of their recent missions. But he had never seen Zarro snappish.

Gently Orgus asked, "You do know she's training to be a Jedi, right? Big bad dangerous galaxy won't hold back."

Zarro looked out across the water to spot Maldecka paddling away, "I know...I know."

Orgus watched and waited for Zarro to continue.

And continue he did, "She was so small when she came to the temple."

"Still is."

"No, she's growing. Becoming a young lady."

"She's turning eleven. Still a kid."

"Eleven isn't six. Did you know Nettesh talked to her about the changes she's going to be going through in the next couple years?"

"Everyone takes health class."

Zarro glared at Orgus.

"What? Your standing here acting like she's about to be knighted! She's eleven for a whole year. Then she'll be twelve for a whole year. See the pattern Zarro?"

Zarro returned his gaze out to the sea, "Still..."

Orgus scoffed, "Still nothing. She's a Jedi, not your daughter."

Zarro's shoulders pulled up.

Orgus kicked at the sand, "I know how tricky it is to walk that line, believe me. I also know the consequences of not walking that line. There are some councilors at the temple that can help you figure it out."

Zarro turned slightly to look at Orgus. It was a rare day when Orgus volunteered information about his own padawan experience.

Zarro glanced back out to see Maldecka was swimming back, "I'll look into it."

Orgus clapped him on the back, "Good. Now, let's go celebrate. Looks like Maldecka caught dinner too."

Sure enough Maldecka was wadding out of the water, massive smile on her face, with the parcel in one hand and a eel as long as she was tall in the other.

I am going to try to be a good girl and keep up.....try being the operative word here!

@Marissalf: YAY!!!!! I got warm fuzzies now!!! and heck yeah....who wouldn't want to be able to use the force to rip that sheet off?!

@alaurin, I love the bickering between those two at the end. And Jorgan’s right, nearly throwing up on the senators certainly would be one heckuva way to distract them
it certainly would have been memorable and Jorgan has quickly figured out how to push Mallay's buttons hasn't he?!

@Stirges:

@ Alaurin: I’m almost surprised Mallay forgave Aric the “I told you so”. In public, at the hearing. He’s lucky she missed her chance to throw him under the bus.
I think Mallay was way too sick to make a valid arguement against the 'I told you so' and the guy was carrying her, unsure if he was going to get thrown up on, along with two cannons to the med center.....I think he earned a little 'I told you so' moment. ;)

As for the chance to throw Jorgan under the bus at the Senate Inquiry, that isn't something Mallay would do (she would see it as underhanded), even if he does annoy the crap out of her. Mallay prefers direct personal confrontation and they resolved a lot of those issues in their explosive confrontation back on Ord (here), just after he'd been assigned to Havoc under her command.

@DarthSillyMonkey:

@Alaurin: I have two Troopers, both have been through that scenario, and both times I wanted to get up and walk out while giving the senate the middle finger. You're way out was WAY better though. lol. Nice use of an in game incident there!
The trooper is so screwed at that Inquiry....no matter what, someone is going to be pissed. Mallay can be a bit high strung sometimes and her head would have likely imploded from the stress if she hand't gotten sick. I decided to take pity on her and gave her food poisoning instead. :p

Biff was sobbing, snot running down his face, Skadge still palming his head. He looked pathetic. "I--I'm just pledging for Thi Gamma Gamma at Coruscant U! I'm sorry! They made me do this!"
Oh, this made me laugh so hard!!!!

@Leonara:

Alaurin: I feel for Mallay so much! Being sick sucks but it was a great way to finish that meeting with the senators off! Her and Aric are getting on brilliantly...hehe. Im tempted to roll a female Trooper such to watch the two of them squirm. Its so cringe some times but good cringe!
Thanks! I seriously hated that Senate Inquiry and decided to have a little fun with it. I was tempted to have her throw up on Senator Krasul or Jorgan, but I spared her that embarrassment in the end.

@Bright:

@alaurin, oh, poor Mallay...I imagine the sketchiness of street food is compounded doubly by a multi-species setting where what's good for one customer may be awful for the next.
Yeah, probably not the best choice for her to eat and she really should have listened to Jorgan, something that is just killing her to admit!! :D

@Lady-Jean: I can't imagine that it is going to be easy for Zarro to let go of the young lady he has come to think of as like a daughter to him, but Orgus is right, she is going to train to be a Jedi and he can't protect her from the harsh reality of the galaxy.

@ alaurin: Snarky Jorgan is awesome. You really have a knack for creating a fun dynamic between Jorgan and Mallay.
Thanks! I didn't want to take anything away from Jorgan in my fic, so he isn't going to hesitate to let Mallay know when she does something stupid, but she isn't going to take any crap from him either. Mallay's stubbornness and tendency to get easily embarrassed, something that amuses Jorgan, makes their bickering/arguing really fun to write. Edited by alaurin

Wynston, Failure, 250 words, no spoilers.

Day seven. Wynston had decided to try fully cooperating with the appointed counselors for a day; it was a miserable experience. He had asked his minder the Fixer to give him some space after – watch him, sure, but from a distance –and he felt good about that, at least. He swung into the hotel’s restaurant and swaggered up to the bar. Enough with the discipline. Enough with the babysitters. He deserved to unwind. The jumbled aroma stung his nose in all the right ways, and he knew exactly the liquor to order.

It hit his tongue like a silken stream, his throat like a lick of fire, his stomach like a creature coming home. He emptied the glass and laid it down for a refill. This was what he had missed, what he’d cut himself off from for no good reason.

What the hell are you doing?

He twitched and sat up, the world flying to pieces around him. Situation: Here. Hotel room. Just the hotel room. Just…it had been so real.

It had felt so real, and it had felt so good.

He kicked off the covers, headed to the refresher, turned on the shower, sat down hard against the shower wall. The water that came on was cold; good. Let it soak his clothes clean and take away the sweat. Let it mask his shivering, or at least give it an excuse.

He wanted someone to talk to. He didn't want to talk about this, what was happening, how he felt, but he wanted to talk. He had sent that option away. That much was real. So he braced himself against the wall and shivered.

The hard days recur, more than one would want them to.

@bright_ephemera: more Wynston plz :D , oh DarthSillyMonkey said that already

@irishfino: I was giggling for at least 10 mins, and I will be giggling through every appearance of Kallig when playing my male Inqui.

@DarthSillyMonkey: It's a good reason to defect, when all that's left of your life is a ring on a necklace. A very interesting background for the IA story. So many reasons to be even more angry...

Read the BH story at work, I was really glad, that there were two monitors to hide behind, while I was trying very hard not to laugh.

No complaints about the lenght from me, still trying to improve my English, you are helping with that. Added Urban Dictionary to my favorites :D

@marissalf:

The Jedi are idiots.

:D

Very romantic setting for the reunion, never thought, I'd wish to attend a Sith party. What a nice place the Empire could be, if they would concentrate on some nicer emotions...

@Lady-Jean: Maldecka is adorable, I am looking forward to reading more.

@alaurin:

“But I’m a nice smelling turd.”

“Ok, I’ll give you that,” Mallay conceded weakly as Aric carried her into the med center, “You do smell nice.”

It's all about pheromones! ;)

Edited by frauzet

Prompt - Allies

Title - Recruitment

Class - Agent/Warrior

No spoilers

"No," Methic said.

A frown on his face, Merok leaned against the holoprojector.

"Why?"

"I need Pierce," Methic said. "He's the best Black Ops commando in the entire Empire; I can't send someone with his skills off to serve with a...a Private Eye corporation!"

Merok ran a hand through his hair. To be honest he didn't want Pierce here, either, but Kaliyo liked the man–liked him, liked him–and she wanted him around. Merok didn't think she'd kissed Pierce–yet–but he bet that it wouldn't be long before she tried.

"To be perfectly frank, Methic, I understand," he said. "His skills are what you need, not what I need; but Kaliyo is practically in love with the man."

Methic's eyebrow twitched. "Is she, now? Well, I'm sorry, but I can't allow that to happen. However, I can arrange two days' shore leave a month for him. If he chooses to spend it on Nar Shaddaa, fine."

Merok nodded. "I suppose that's the best Kaliyo can hope for. I'll deliver the bad news."

Methic smiled ran a hand over his beard. "Good luck with that."

Merok shut the holocom off. He turned–and nearly barreled into Kaliyo, who was standing right behind him. She had a scowl on her face.

"You tried," she said.

He nodded. "I tried."

She shrugged. "Oh, well. Two days a month is plenty of time for me."

Merok rolled his eyes as she walked away.

Prompt - Culture Shock

Title - That Awkward Moment

Class - Smuggler

Takes place between Acts 1 and 2, no spoilers

Dankin was nursing the last of his drink when the woman walked by. She was human, very attractive, wearing a miniskirt and a black leather jacket with a low-cut shirt tied off to reveal her midriff. She had jet-black hair and piercing blue eyes. He looked her up and down, grinning.

He finished off his drink and went after her as she left the cantina.

She turned left down the intersection to the Galactic Market section of Carrick Station. Dankin followed, trying to speed up and catch her. He lost sight of her amongst the troopers, Jedi, and mercenaries hired by the Republic. He shouldered his way through the crowd and frowned. She was nowhere to be seen.

He stepped into one of the market kiosks and grunted as a hand gripped his wrists, twisted it around behind his back until his hand was directly between his shoulder blades, and then shoved him against the wall. He groaned. The woman put her lips close to his ear.

"You really followed me?" she asked with a laugh.

"Uh...yeah?"

She let him go. He turned around to look her over; she was just as attractive as he remembered. Even more so up close. He realized he was staring at her legs and flushed.

"You think I'm attractive," she said.

"A Houk would find you attractive," he flirted.

She groaned. "Males. All the same. I'm a Lorrdian, moron; I knew you were coming after me the second you looked up from your drink."

"Well, if you don't like the attention, maybe don't dress like that?"

She smiled. "I'm a bounty hunter," she said. "'Dressing like this' works to my advantage."

"You're a bounty hunter? You...don't look armed."

She flicked her wrist and a blaster fell from her jacket sleeve and pressed into his gut. Dankin raised an eyebrow in surprise. She holstered her weapon, turned, and walked away. She got a few steps away, turned, and tossed him a wink over her shoulder.

"Stay careful, handsome," she said.