Constructive Feedback Upon the Three Healing Classes, from a Mercenary's Perspective

PerinnAybara

It would be really nice if they improved our healing surge to be 30% from 15%. That would almost be a 6% increase to healing output, as well as make our single target heals really really work better. Right now the other healers can get bigger heals with their single target heals. Hell sorcerers can automatically guarantee their next two heals will crit.

I can't wait for 1.7. I mean, with all our whining, maybe they'll give in!

It also wouldn't also hurt to simply increase our base heals to be stronger. Healing scan, and Rapid scan are pretty weak for the dps classes, and it would help them as well.

As for the heal once interrupted, I don't actually like it. That removes the skill element of interrupting us. What I would prefer is to make rapid scan, healing scan stronger, and give us an alternative heal that can be casted under focus fire. That way when they're on us, we can predict it and heal with alternatives with a lower healing output, but when unmolested we can put Operatives to shame with super strong single target heals. (An escape of some sort wouldn't hurt though)

The one thing I've noticed is that, unlike other classes defensives that save them under focus, a Mercs energy shield can still be focused through. The damage you're taking is halved? Just add another two people on you. It's not like one can actually gain distance/los or move away to reduce the amount of damage we're taking. I half feel like our energy shield should make us immune to stun for the next four seconds. That would be awesome against stunlocking operatives who against my dps merc, seriously make very short work of him. (i'm playing in singapore at the moment with a crappy computer, so the latency means operatives really really pick me apart when I play dps.)

Anyway, I'm excited for 1.7!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell sorcerers can automatically guarantee their next two heals will crit.

!

^ this

I used to play around in front of the pvp terminal with sages and scoundrels in a healer version of a shootout (who hasn't?). I would crit for 6.5k and the sage would crit for 7k+. the hell? I have supercharger, kolto buff and I'm supposed to be the better single target, yet the sage is dropping bigger single cast crits? (I was a little above baseline for crit/surge - 36.x%/78.x% buffed).

(yeah yeah, I know. the single target thing is also about the haste buff - awesome. worst resource management in healing. heh.)

Edited by foxmob

If an opponent catches me before I am in position to help allies, or if an opponent catches me when my teammates aren't looking/are otherwise engaged, forget it; nigh instant death. This is particularly the case in Alderaan Civil War, where I have few terrain features to use to protect myself with.

while I'm in agreement with much of what you say, this bit tells me you're not "pillar humping" properly. CW actually provides the most/best opportunities to los.

the center node gives you 4 pillars, the tunnel area under the ramp and the two balconies. the only issue there is getting los'd by the person you want to heal. lol

the side nodes are on platforms with 3 sets of stairwells that offer multiple opportunities for los. no sniper should ever hit you more than once. and you can kite any 4m melee around the platforms indefinitely.

compare that to vstar where there's only 2 pillars at each of the 2 doors and 1 ramp at the north of the 3rd door.

in novarre, there's the bunkers themselves and the guns. the bunkers are so large, though, that you'll be unable to heal anybody for a while and will likewise be unavailable for peelers.

there are a ton of opportunities in hypergate. ok. that one has more than CW.

hb does as well, but that's a more dynamic game, and you kind of have to go where the ball is, which means you don't many opportunities to los...or at least to dictate when you los.

Even with corners, it's hard to kite operatives, as well as smashers. The problem with smashers, is there is really only one thing you need to kite, and it's impossible to kite. The smash itself. By the time you knock him back he's gotten the smash off, and all he's waiting for is another smash.

Our knockback was designed for a playing field when people had 30 second force speeds, and 15 second leaps. Back then Ravage was able to be interrupted, and we could cleanse the trauma debuff snipers and marauders have. The damage has increased exponentially, as well as people's skill. When they see you approach a corner, generally they will slow you. If they see you rocket punch root them, they'll throw out an aoe stun/mez. When you try to trade cooldowns it doesn't work out as well when your opponent has more of them. All warrior classes has two instant stuns at least. Theres the choke, and the aoe mez. We rocket punch, they mez, or choke.

It's really silly these days. Our problem is that even we survive to be white barred, we still can't consistently put out damage. A powertech would just keep going, undeterred. THat reminds me how it used to be so much easier to be white barred. Considering the changes, they should make it so when a Mercenary is white barred he can't be interrupted. That way at least they can't completely shut us down with a combination of stuns and interrupts.

It annoys me when there's noway I can fight back after an operative or Juggernaut jumps me, even when i see it coming and pop my cooldowns before the burst. Even if i survive for half health, they can effectively wear me down in short notice. Well not as a heals. As a heals they can do so with enough focus. I've taken to popping my energy shield with my expertise adrenal to give myself enough damage reduction to survive the inevitable hard stuns that come. Would giving our energy shield an immunity to stuns and knockbacks be overpowered?

Had an idea which would be interesting for the Commando healers, possibly for the AC as a whole:

- Allow Commandos to use Emergency Medical Probe (in combat-revive) on an ally and revive them at 50% of their maximum HP.

- Allow Tech Override to affect Emergency Medical Probe (I actually just realized during a ranked warzone that I couldn't do this).

Had an idea which would be interesting for the Commando healers, possibly for the AC as a whole:

- Allow Commandos to use Emergency Medical Probe (in combat-revive) on an ally and revive them at 50% of their maximum HP.

- Allow Tech Override to affect Emergency Medical Probe (I actually just realized during a ranked warzone that I couldn't do this).

lol that's surprising. I didn't realize tech override wouldn't work on combat revive either. kinda bogus. i mean...you only have the one tech override. it's a major decision when and where you use it. (I like to use it for plasma grenade when a melee thinks he's gonna 1v1 me. but that's more for gits and shiggles.).

Edited by foxmob

You mean power surge.

Tech override is the reduction in heat cost?

That could easily be coded to be a mercenary only thing and would be pretty awesome. Who knows, maybe it's enough utility to actually bring us to rateds.

Tech Override is the Commando equivalent of Power Surge.

in novarre, there's the bunkers themselves and the guns. the bunkers are so large, though, that you'll be unable to heal anybody for a while and will likewise be unavailable for peelers.

You can also use the hill too.

Ah, my mistake, I was thinking about Thermal Sensor Override.

Considering how operatives can completely ignore several people training them with their spammable instant cast (when under 30%) + rolling dots, and all that good stuff, I feel like commandos would be well served if they removed pushback from our abilities. A vanguard won't be able to rail shot us while we're mid cast, and still interrupt us with a stun. Pushback makes a merc dps unable to heal with a such a long cast time. Get rid of it and all mercs would be doing better. Could make it a mercenary/commando thing. What it really would do is make it harder for people to interrupt us with a stun when their interrupt is down, although not make it impossible.

Add to the fact that alacrity doesn't mean we're better off when we have pushback that puts us past the gcd. We already are vulnerable to interrupts, why are we also vulnerable to pushback? I could understand back when the game first started and ranged classes were much more powerful, but now, it's not a good mechanic in pvp.

You mention a cover ability, i think thta should remain unique to agents

instead: take the power barrier trait, mix it with cells, buff it to reduce all damage by the same amount currently.

make it so that casting fast heal scan (our basic no cd heal) we gain power cell when in combat support cylinder.

tracer missile for arsenal, and something for pyro.

at 5 stacks we become immune to the interrupt effect behind force charge?

Supercharged cells/gas should have an effect for all our heals lets trauma probe be applied to multiple targets, makes med probe heal for 5% more, bacta infusion restores 2 cells/16heat, lets hammer shot apply proactive medicene on the target.

Change the frontline medic talent so that we have a 50%/100% chance when we take damage we gain 2/4 supercharged cells this effect can only occur every 5 secs.

Just an idea sorry if someone already came up with it just woke up....:o

Edited by Lalainnia

THey still have a melee interrupt at 5 meters, and stuns, so no.

I'm not asking for the Sniper cover effect at all. I'm asking for the Operative one, the one where you can still be interrupted, you just can not be leaped to (Which negates marauders and juggernauts ranged interrupt) but still allows us to be interrupted by the other ranged classes.

As for pushback, snipers get that too. But I'm just annoyed that when a marauder leaps on me, he has 1 second gcd's can interrupt one spell, hit me twice then interrupt the second spell i tried to cast with a stun due to pushback. The mercenary just did nothing for a good hrm, 4 seconds and is now stunned for an additional 4 seconds? Great. It's not like we can kite while casting either.

Leap immunity at 5 stacks of power barrier wouldn't be a bad thing. Once upon a time power barrier used to reduce damage by 10%. T_T. I hate nerfs. But operative cover being unique to Agents? I understand the flavour of it, but Mercenaries could really utilize it to actually take the high ground. Right now we have no maneuverability, escapes, and even if we take an advantageous position in hutt ball, we become a liability to a leaper, hence we're forced to give it up. Which is retarded. We should be able to take the high ground, and actually maintain distance at the beginning of the fight.

• 1 month later...

Coming from the 2.0 pts, it seems that balance has not gone our way yet again.

So far our healing output falls far behind the other two classes. Some of our concerns and some of the suggestions were taken, however the changes to the other two healers has left us in the dust yet again. (The Kolto shell one for instance)

Our resource management hasn't gotten any better and our susceptibility to interrupts literally has gotten worse. T_T.

We still don't have a mastery on single target heals.

I am happy that I can now relocate though.

Anyway, I wish I was an optimist, because patch 2.0 doesn't look good for Mercenary/Commando viability for Rated Warzones.

• 3 weeks later...
you probably should have left this part out

A 1562 rating in starwars is a respectable rating. U have to put it into context of the game.

This is not WOW with cross server ques and 10x the pop and competition. On a heavy server there are perhaps only 3-4 top teams that q daily with another 4-5 teams that q weekly.

This means u more often then not paired against the top 2-3 teams constantly.

A team that is many cuts above the average teams that if full of decent but not pro pvpers will not have a rating that reflects there true skill bc they always que against the very top teams.

This does not happen in games like WOW bc of the population and cross server.

This leads to a more competitive ranked system.

A 1500+ rating in STWOR reflects a decent and knowledgable lvl of pvper bc of the above.

It's 1612 now.

Also I should never have pugged warzones in the beginning. I'm like 126 and 57 and 45 of those losses were when I was pugging just to do ranked in the beginning.

I was like 50 out of 45 before I finally left my first guild after I realized I'd have to keep pugging ranked if I stayed with them.. After that time period I'm more like 76 to 12 loss ratio. Funny thing is my Shadow hit 2100 cause I didn't pug him and has a similar amount of rateds played with a similar ratio of win/losses.

My feedback is worthless though in comparison to whoever Bioware has testing metrics internally.

Edited by PerinnAybara

• 1 month later...