DPS Sage still viable?

MoveTheRanks

In response to your question, yes, they have very viable DPS ability. They are not currently the top DPS, and I'm sure there are plenty that would wish the DPS higher (who doesn't want their toon to have top DPS hehe), but they can put out enough DPS to be viable for anything currently in the game.

I also have a Warlord Sage DPS, but on the P05 server. You can do great DPS, but in terms of competing with the damage output of Vanguards and Melee: Good Luck. The highest DPS output Sages/Sorcs that I know play like complete pansies. They will gladly give up the objective for their own survival. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but whatever. Kiting is one thing, bailing and scoreboard padding is another.

I have around 2100 Willpower (about to drop my willpower augments for regular power to push up my Damage a few points), and my best games are in the 600=700 DPS range (not overall damage, just damage per second). Well geared players of other classes that have at least *some* clue as to what is going on can average well above my best games.

A good strategy is to exploit the self-healing armor, and spread around your weaken mind dot as much as possible in between your normal rotation. You'll start getting self heals like crazy, and it adds a lot more survivability to the class.

Overall: It is a "viable" class for PvP for the better players. It is probably on the bottom of the DPS foodchain, in my opinion... IDK, maybe Scoundrel DPS is worse, I haven't run into too many recently in order to make an accurate statement on that.

Anyways, GL to you, and maybe you can prove me wrong about Sage DPS being a bottom feeder. If you do, let me in on your secrets lol

I They will gladly give up the objective for their own survival. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but whatever. Kiting is one thing, bailing and scoreboard padding is another.

I will talk about just WZs in this post of my,

"They will gladly give up the objective for their own survival" - I never give up with my vanguard, I can stay alive with my scoundrel vs 3-4 till backup arrives but I have to with my Sage and even that I have to mostly I try to fight, but after my bubble goes down from the first hit, my chars hp disappears faster then he could channel a heal/dmg spell (its vs 3-4)

With Sage you can heal/DPS if you can stay non-stop in background with a great support - impossible even my dps Sage get the "healer icon" - "the black stamp" from the reason, that even like a dps I know that there are situations, when I serve the team better if I bubble and use a heal to a Guardian, Sent, Scoundrel, Gunslinger, Vanguard but this is the moment when I get the healer icon, so no way any more to stay in background , )

Yesterday I had a funny situation, a sent was at our goal line till we played Hut ball, 3 dps sage was there (one of them was me) he used guard by the force till his fight, he killed 3 of us then he disappeared and survived : P

How can it even happening in a balanced game? Its tab target so you have just your class tools and numbers.

Hi,

I have just come back after a break and have rolled a Sage. I was tempted to go Sentinal for huge DPS, but I figured I like the flex to go healer if I ever wanted and I like ranged chars more, just my style.

I would love to be top of the DPS meter, but I know this proly wont happen and I feel it should not happen either. A Sentinal or Smuggler can only do DMG, its their role so I feel they should top out DPS.

As a Sage I know I will be able to bring enough DPS to do the job but we also bring more, for instance, when a Sentinal dies mid fight, we have battle rez. So all DPS they do after this is because your in the group!

We have a bubble to help reduce the dmg the tank takes during bursts of boss dmg that gives the healer an easier time or even if the healer is a a sage, they get a bit less force to use up. And where the group all needs a heal, you can pretty much heal yourself again to speed things up and save the healers force power.

Our CC has no limits such as others can only do Droids etc.

All in all, I want to be top of the DPS meter but I am not going to get upset that I am not, as we bring more than just DPS to the group. The group as a whole wins, then we win. Thats my point of view any hoo.

Stacks

Edited by Stacksamus
Sexist comment on saying "he does" where it should statge "They do" and mistakes.

All in all, I want to be top of the DPS meter but I am not going to get upset that I am not, as we bring more than just DPS to the group. The group as a whole wins, then we win. Thats my point of view any hoo.

Stacks

Well in pvp, sages definitly can do alot of damage, since they are pretty much deisgned for fighting multiple targets. Still, you will be easily out-dpsed by lol-smahers and pt/vangaurds, and sometimes snipers/gs. On the other side, you have the ability to purge alot of ccs from other players, and off-heal in critical moments with your force armor (depending on your spec that might be more or less possible to do).

However, with all the crappy burst damage going on in pvp right now, and the on-purpose mobbing of light armor characters (=sages) with the change to shadow strike/maul, playing a dps sage can be a very frustrating experience. Especially since most other well desinged dps classes (all except mandos and sages) see you as an easy kill and a way to get a guaranteed 5k hit medal. If you want fun in pvp, play a sentinel;)

For PvE, don't even waste your time on it, and go for healing. Or wait until bioware designs raid encounters where being a ranged dps actually has any advantage.

Well I'm not going to start a pointless discussion about pro/con sage pve dps with an obviously e-peen touched pve hero. But please, upload your combat log and show me your 1850+ dps on an operation boss. And please grow up and don't throw around insults when you don't even try to make an actual point backed up by facts.(if you know what that means)

Otherwise I never said that sage dps is bad, I just said it's by far not in the imaginative "5%" frame compared to e.g. sentinels, while sage healing is probably the best you can get for endgame pve.

Edited by Wanjagenrich

Well, I have had a change of heart. After getting to lvl 40 with full lvl 40 PVP outfit, I was really dissapointed with the output dmg. I am comparing this to Mara, Merc, Sniper and Assasin which I did the same thing on all of them.

I was so dissapointed I turned him into my healer and am now making a new Smuggler main.

Just my opinion, but it did sadden me!