The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

zElmTree

Which was better?

Rules: None.

All arguments toward you're side are valid but should be backed with evidence why you believe you're game is better.

We are talking story, gameplay, everything!

So which should win Star Wars Game of the Galaxy?

Didnt play KOTOR or KOTOR2

PLayed SWTOR for about 2 weeks

SWFU? Is that SGW CU? Played that for 3 months decorating my house

SWG played for 2 years because I always had something I saw as fun to do in it

So I would say SWG because I actually had fun playing it and thats what games are suppost to be. Fun

Well they are not really comparable. TOR has a good story but it is kind of spread out amongst all the classes and side quests so you are only seeing parts of it, like the tips of ice bergs in a deep ocean. Little by little you piece the story together, but it seems like it would take at least 4 and possibly all 8 play-throughs (4 classes both factions) to see the whole thing. By the time you did that your sense of the story would be faded from the earlier ones because it would take months and months to do it all.

KOTOR doesn't necessarily have a better story but it has a tighter one that can be played straight through. You see the whole thing, not just your 1/8th of it. And it has a very strong centralized character (you) about whom the whole thing revolves... which simply cannot be true of an MMORPG. KOTOR is tighter and less spread out, so in many ways the story feels stronger, but I'm not sure that it is. Instead, it's just more condensed and streamlined. That's because it isn't an MMO and doesn't have to accommodate all the other stories going on at the same time in the same place.

SWG is another beast altogether. First of all, you have to specify which SWG, because there were three... Original/Launch version, CU version, and NGE version. The CU version was utter trash. I did not play NGE. The launch/original version of SWG was in many was truly wonderful because it was so open-ended and sandboxy. On the other hand, it felt way less like Star Wars than TOR does. They also constantly and repeatedly violated movie canon which drove me up the wall. Sorry, I'm a Star Wars geek. TOR can't really violate canon in the same way because it's set thousands of years before the movies, yet it still seems to be more consistent with the SW universe than SWG was.

If I had to rank these games, I guess it would be something like this:

KOTOR = TOR > SWG > all else

But again this is really like me saying

Apples = Oranges > pears > all else

The strengths, goals, and designs of the games are just too different.

KOTOR 2 was utter garbage though... That I would put at the absolute bottom of any list. Hated it.

KOTOR, created the story, annoying jedi system.

KOTOR2: this game was never finished, not applicable. Just because they sold it doesn't mean it was finished. Assuming you want to call as released 'finished' it was appallingly terrible, because the game runs out of itself and you suddenly end up with content which isn't in any way connected to the previous content.

Force unleashed: Not even a comparable experience to the others, it's an action game. It's probably the most 'fun' but only because it only lasts about 5 hours. It lacks the depth that any of the other games have which make them interesting for more than 5 hours, that depth means they lack the brief intensity of a FU experience, but they're more sustainable.

SWG: Steaming pile of refuse from launch day until closing day. Other than jump to lightspeed, and that had the same problem as the rest of the game, which was that there wasn't anything substantive to do at level cap. Bizarre mechanics (crafting resources, 1 character per server, no progression past leveling, random profession mastering = jedi... wut?), virtually no players, even from early on, basic broken systems that never worked. It was like a bad copy of UO.

SWTOR: mechanically a copy of world of warcraft so it's hard to call it its own game. Annoying spoken dialogue that only gets more annoying the more you have to put up with it, especially in flashpoints. It seems like the story is inconsistent between players which makes an ever expanding tree of complexity for new expansions, so I'm not sure how they will resolve that.

Kotor- best story, but Kotor 2 had better villains... never really liked Malak as a villain... I like Swtor too but... I highly doubt ALL class storylines will become canon. What Revan does in Kotor are canon events, what we do in Swtor, wont be that personal.... will be very broad, ex. Empire wins Alderaan or Republic does under the command of Darth Angras or something...

Kotor- best story, but Kotor 2 had better villains... never really liked Malak as a villain... I like Swtor too but... I highly doubt ALL class storylines will become canon. What Revan does in Kotor are canon events, what we do in Swtor, wont be that personal.... will be very broad, ex. Empire wins Alderaan or Republic does under the command of Darth Angras or something...

Dude... I LOVED Malak, I actually like him almost as much as Vader. Especially when he gives the command to blow up Taris, but we all have opinions, to each their own :-D

I disagree, since we're all playing the same Imperial Agent just we all played the same Revan and the same Exile.

Whilst some of the smaller decisions may not be canon a lot of the bigger arcs will be. But not everything you did as Revan was canon, I was so dark side I made Palpatine look pleasant and yet in canon Revan was light side...

Off topic, what is it with every single player Star Wars game the canon is you're eventually a nice pleasant fellow. SWFU had so much potential in being Vaders assassin, they really need a game that starts as dark side and ends canonically(sp?) as dark side none of this moral epiphany crap. So in my opinion TOR > all

As a Star Wars fan....SWG.

Why?

You live in the starwars universe from the movies.

You get to stand on a hill in tattooine a watch the twins sunset on tattooine.

You can visit locations from all the movies like the rebel base on Dantooin or Jabbas Palace. Even stuff from the Ewok movies (includes a GORAX)

You can fly X-wings, Tie fighters and dress like a rebel pilot, tie pilot or a even a mandalorian

You can buy costumes of Gungans, jawas, Hutts, Geonosian and just about any other species seen in the films. I even had the Dug costume

YOu can even partake in the cheesy stuff like life day (which was fun IMO) since the christmas special did exist

THE MUSIC. You could even play it in your house.

The NPCS like Vader and Luke but also Mara Jade and Thrawn

--------------

TOR is good but SWG was the best for a starwars fan IMO

Edited by kirorx

SWG without question. And this coming from a person who canceled their sub early last year before the shutdown was announced.

The above post pretty much nails it. I don't read the books or watch the cartoons, but I did grow up watching the original movies, including seeing Star Wars in '77. So having that put to a video game was fairly epic, regardless of the timeline and bugs.

Thoroughly enjoyed KOTOR I and II, but there was only so much to do in those games, and after beating them a few times, it became tedious. Although, I could probably pick it up today and still enjoy it.

Never played Forced Unleashed, can't comment.

SWTOR has a long way to go, and might possibly replace SWG's enormity. But currently, this game can't hold SWG's jock, and shouldn't have to. The game has been released just over two months, while SWG had eight years of development.

Short answer: SWG

Edited by Pirana

I disagree, since we're all playing the same Imperial Agent just we all played the same Revan and the same Exile.

Whilst some of the smaller decisions may not be canon a lot of the bigger arcs will be. But not everything you did as Revan was canon, I was so dark side I made Palpatine look pleasant and yet in canon Revan was light side...

Off topic, what is it with every single player Star Wars game the canon is you're eventually a nice pleasant fellow. SWFU had so much potential in being Vaders assassin, they really need a game that starts as dark side and ends canonically(sp?) as dark side none of this moral epiphany crap. So in my opinion TOR > all

My point was it wont say Malevolence won the war for the empire on Alderaan, like Kotor would say Revan stopped Malak and destroyed the star forge; it will if anything say a brave Sith Inquisitor who is nameless..... or a broader term like, the Empire enthroned Thul as the leading family of Alderaan and won the war..... hope you understand now

My point was it wont say Malevolence won the war for the empire on Alderaan, like Kotor would say Revan stopped Malak and destroyed the star forge; it will if anything say a brave Sith Inquisitor who is nameless..... or a broader term like, the Empire enthroned Thul as the leading family of Alderaan and won the war..... hope you understand now

Oh I got ya! For the class lines it will be Cipher Nine and Darth Nox (for IA and SI) defeated thanaton and ascended to the council early or saved the Empire by neutralising Jadus etc. So they will still be personal to a point pending which direction the canon lore goes in regards to the small decisions.

I do see your point about the world arcs and unfortunately there isn't any way to get around that aside from keeping it off limits to 3rd parties and keeping continuity in game only. I will have to say the idea of it being some nameless character fits right into the IA story though, a thankless job without heroics that no one will ever know about.