Leveling as a Seer

Shlamorel

Hi all,

I didn't get to play Beta so I had a question for anyone who did (or who is in-game now and will be approaching advanced classes soon).

What is leveling like as a Seer? Obviously, I would expect to do less damage than other specs. I plan on being a Seer regardless of the answer, but I'm hoping to figure out if I need to make sure I try to group up with my guildmates (who are all DPS) to accomplish things quicker, or if I can cover the same amount of ground at a comparable rate flying solo?

I'm not asking if I can zoom through content as a healer. I'm just curious, on a scale from 1 to 10, how comparable we are with others in speed of questing/instancing/killing things solo (with 1 being so unbearably slow, and 10 being equal speed as a DPS spec).

Thanks for any insight in advance!

I leveled to 24 as a Seer in Beta. I have to say, it wasn't difficult at all. In heroics and flashpoints you'll definitely need to take on the healing role, but in most normal quests you won't need to heal extremely often, and you'll be able to do a decent amount of damage. Every point you put into the Seer tree makes your Presence stat better, which increases healing and your companion's effectiveness. So if you intend to level as a Seer, you will require a companion with you when playing solo to be effective.

So, I'd actually say 10/10. Unlike a DPS spec, you have the ability to heal your companion and yourself, really increasing your survivability to make up for the extra damage you won't be doing. I might even say 11/10 :p

Edited by Nayab

I did play a seer during the betas, Got him to 27. I did not have trouble dps wise until I hit the mid 20's. And then the trouble only came from the quests/missions that were supposed to be group quests. I was soloing them and died a few times due to the lower dps. But for the main part , a seer can dps trash and level much easier then most other MMO healers I have ever played.

Seer is a very effective levelling spec. Your force attacks still do a fair bit of damage, your heals can keep you up and, perhaps most importantly, the companion system works in your favour.

Get a tanky companion to hold aggro / kill mobs, you heal him / do abit of DPS.

Agree with Phantom - thank you so much for all the helpful replies. I can't remember the last time I posted on forums of a certain other game and didn't have at least one rude troll.

I enjoy healing so this will just make me more excited to put my points into Seer.

Thanks again!

As it has been suggested on other threads, I would suggest the first few points you put into leveling go into the Telekinetics tree for the extra force power and efficiency talents.

Then Seer is a fine spec to level with.

Cool thanks for the tip.

Will putting only a handful of points into Telikentics then switching to Seer not harm you in the long-run though? As you progress through tiers - you'd be further behind on abilities that may be game-changing, no? (delay getting healing trance, rejuv, etc.)?

May I suggestion a compromise:

Take the two points for the extra 100 force points and take the 9% lower force costs for 3 points later.

The 9% less force costs on skills are only about 70 force points in a long fight in which you would exhaust your 600 force points completely, probably even less and that for 3 skill points.

Edited by Gerudan

May I suggestion a compromise:

Take the two points for the extra 100 force points and take the 9% lower force costs for 3 points later.

The 9% less force costs on skills are only about 70 force points in a long fight in which you would exhaust your 600 force points completely, probably even less and that for 3 skill points.

Nice suggestion, thanks. I'll consider that for sure.

Cool thanks for the tip.

Will putting only a handful of points into Telikentics then switching to Seer not harm you in the long-run though? As you progress through tiers - you'd be further behind on abilities that may be game-changing, no? (delay getting healing trance, rejuv, etc.)?

I think this is a matter of personal preference. I think of the efficiency talents as end game necessities. Leveling is easy enough for competence to make up for a little less efficiency. Personally, I'm always anxious to get new talents abilities so I went straight up seer in beta, and expect to do the same again.

Of course, someone could that if leveling is easy, then it isn't a big deal to have to wait a few levels for your new talent. That is a valid point, which is why I think it is about personal preference.

As it has been suggested on other threads, I would suggest the first few points you put into leveling go into the Telekinetics tree for the extra force power and efficiency talents.

Then Seer is a fine spec to level with.

That's exactly what I did.

I went 3/3 Inner Strength and 2/2 Mental Longevity. After that I went and worked on the Seer tree.

As others have said, make sure you have the right companion for the job while leveling.

Qyzen Fess is great for solo leveling, just remember to heal him. :)

Zenith looks great for those groups were you'll have a tank and want more DPS.

I to plan on leveling as a sage all the way to 50, and from what I saw in beta, it should be a lot easier the previous MMO's as a healing spec.

Anyone has an idea of a good rotation to use when leveling? As no damage ability is upgraded via talent exept for disturbance (with mental longevity) should i only spam disturbance? DPS-wise it seems as good as combining TK throw/project/etc...

It has been pointed out in other forum that you WILL level slower and feel it after level 20 or so if you decide to PVE level as a Healer.

The extra 6% presence does not make up for the fact that all the other classes will be gaining more DPS than you will be as they level up. Your heals will be getting better, while they do more and more damage.

Your Companion does not do as much damage as a Player.

So the time it takes you to defeat opponents will be longer, and thus the time it takes you to level will be longer.

This is one of the reasons you won't find many people playing Healers in the game, its a big sacrifice with the lack of Dual Spec options.

While all that is true (to the previous poster), as a healer you will get into group quests, flashpoints (and operations later) much quicker, therefore, you can repeat these and boost your xp in this way and also get even more roles on good loots.

the healer's glass is always half full.

While all that is true (to the previous poster), as a healer you will get into group quests, flashpoints (and operations later) much quicker, therefore, you can repeat these and boost your xp in this way and also get even more roles on good loots.

the healer's glass is always half full.

You level the most quickly in this game by doing the PVE quests.

You would need to run many more Flashpoints to level in the same time, and the question was using a healer Spec for levelling purposes... :-)

It just isn't efficient, you will sacrifice a lot.

Hi all,

I didn't get to play Beta so I had a question for anyone who did (or who is in-game now and will be approaching advanced classes soon).

What is leveling like as a Seer? Obviously, I would expect to do less damage than other specs. I plan on being a Seer regardless of the answer, but I'm hoping to figure out if I need to make sure I try to group up with my guildmates (who are all DPS) to accomplish things quicker, or if I can cover the same amount of ground at a comparable rate flying solo?

I'm not asking if I can zoom through content as a healer. I'm just curious, on a scale from 1 to 10, how comparable we are with others in speed of questing/instancing/killing things solo (with 1 being so unbearably slow, and 10 being equal speed as a DPS spec).

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Keep Qyzen Fess in decent armor with a good weapon . put him in tank mode (his default), and be prepared to throw a lot of heals.

You should be able to easily take out an elite of your own level with Qyzen tanking, and even a Champion Elite later on is not out of hte questio. Make sure you kill off the underlings first though.

As a leveling spec with a group , you're the first invited to every flash point, so you could probably hop from one flash point to another all the way up and never do a regular quest after level 10.