PvP Leveling Viable?

JoshDizzy

Hello - I am a level 20 Sniper on one of my alts at the moment and i was wondering if i could level up doing solely PvP and daily's (Such as War zone daily, Flashpoint daily's etc....) and would it be faster then just going through the game normally. Or would it be faster to just go through the game normally whilst only PvP'ing every once in a while and, if so, how much faster would it be? (Just a rough estimate)

Thanks!

~Dizzy

Hello - I am a level 20 Sniper on one of my alts at the moment and i was wondering if i could level up doing solely PvP and daily's (Such as War zone daily, Flashpoint daily's etc....) and would it be faster then just going through the game normally. Or would it be faster to just go through the game normally whilst only PvP'ing every once in a while and, if so, how much faster would it be? (Just a rough estimate)

Thanks!

~Dizzy

Questing will always be faster in terms of leveling. However, some people truly enjoy PvP so they don't mind the longer leveling time. Personally I like to do a pretty even mix of PvP and questing up to level 40. Then at that point, I mostly do PvP in order to max out my comms for when I hit 50.

Sadly, leveling solely through pvp is much longer than through planetary quests. Doing quests you will level every 45-75 min, finishing up one planet area, whereas you will level every 2+ hrs pvping. Although I haven't tried the legacy pvp exp buff yet, some of my guild mates say it only helps marginally.

I recommend you do your pvp daily (which makes the 1-2 games you play worth the exp), then do quests for faster leveling. Plus, you can then benefit from legacy unlocks gained through the class storyline.

Edited by BlindingShadow

I have been leveling most of my alts by playing PvP and just class quests. I have the legacy bonus exp for PvP so its not too slow. The daily is VERY worth it for leveling. I just generally enjoy PvP and feel like I know my class even better than when I leveled my main or 2nd alt. The challenge of playing against actual players forces you to really use your array of abilities instead of getting in a consistent easy mob killing rotation.

I usually go through the whole prologue doing all the quests on the starting planets and Coruscant/Dromund Kaas. After doing that do all the space missions and then PvP until I feel like taking care of my class quests on the next planet. It gives me a good boost to easily go through the class quests. The only downside is eventually when you get between 30-40 you feel really undergeared unless you do FPs, which helps keep your gear up to date.

Edited by BanetheDarkLord

The answer is yes, but it will take a bit longer. Be sure to purchase all of the legacy boost to PvP xp options, which will grant you an extra 30%.

Queue up for PvP while you're out questing. It should take 10-15 days to hit 50 with a new character using this method. Personally, I only do class quests anymore unless it's late or I'm bored with PvP. Questing has the added bonus of giving you comms, which (as posted above) helps keep your gear updated. Unless you have other characters who can spoon feed your alts cash and gear.

Edited by TheronFett

I do a LOT of PVP, but the only character I have ever tried leveling SOLELY through PVP is my assassin. All the other characters, I would do some planet quests, especially at earlier levels. With my assassin, I haven't done anything except class quests. Yeah it does take a while, but I can PVP for hours when I have the time, so I don't mind it. And I found I was leveling too fast when I did a lot of quest plus the PVP anyway.

Even with all of the legacy warzone exp boosts, it took me 8 day 8 hrs played of warzone leveling to get to 50 on my alt.

The upside is that you can max your warzone commendations before hitting 50 (3500 rwz comms, 2000 wz comms).

Still, it's much faster to level to 50 with quests and space mission dailies. It takes about 4-6 days played if you take your time through quests. If you're speed-leveling, you can space bar your way through quests and get to 50 with two days played.

Even with all of the legacy warzone exp boosts, it took me 8 day 8 hrs played of warzone leveling to get to 50 on my alt.

The upside is that you can max your warzone commendations before hitting 50 (3500 rwz comms, 2000 wz comms).

Still, it's much faster to level to 50 with quests and space mission dailies. It takes about 4-6 days played if you take your time through quests. If you're speed-leveling, you can space bar your way through quests and get to 50 with two days played.

Ok I was getting ready to say "4 to 6 days /played?" but then you followed up.

The legacy exp perk basically puts you back at the amount of exp you used to get for WZ's. Not sure when it happened, but at some point they reduced exp acrost the board. (then again I might be remembering beta levels)

The biggest problem is that leveling this way is entirely queue dependent.

When you're going through class and planetary quest lines you don't have to sit in a queue.

If you only play during 'prime time' hours then it isn't bad.

What I generally do on alts is PvP while the gettin's good, then when the queue slows down I go back to my class/planet quests.

The upside of this is that you pretty much stay a couple levels above your quests, which makes them quick and easy to run through.

In fact I would say the fastest way to level is running class/planet missions with PvP/space missions as fillers in between planets or any time you fall below your quests listed levels.

But the real "best" way to do it, is to play what you enjoy and let the levels take care of themselves.

I'm up to 5 lv 50's now and the 'desire' and/or 'excitement' of gaining levels just isn't there any more.

When I'm playing my lower level alts I'm more than happy just to run around killing this or that and sooner or later I might run acrost my quest mobs. Streaking through a WZ. Taunting opposite faction players outside their outposts on som planets. If I happen to level up that day 'great', if not....'great'.

Edited by Voranis

Also, I play during the "primetime" hours. Usually on between 6 pm and 10 pm (CST). Weekends are the only time I log on during the morning or early afternoon hours. Also, I never play during the late night hours either, though I have heard that if you do play at say, 3 am, there will only be about 30 people on fleet. On weekends, there are a lot of people on usually starting at about 9 am. So I never really have a problem with getting queues to pop up. I finish one WZ, queue again, and usually get one to pop iin an average time of about 2 minutes. And the thing is, my assassin would probably be a higher level if she were the only character I played. But on any given day I log onto 3-5 different characters. So I don't really feel the leveling is too slow. Edited by Solarenergy

The legacy exp perk basically puts you back at the amount of exp you used to get for WZ's. Not sure when it happened, but at some point they reduced exp acrost the board.

If I remember right, WZ XP got nerfed in the very first patch of this game. Of course, I could remember wrong, but it was that long ago.

Questing and the storylines blow goats imnsho. Make leveling thru pvp actually viable and I'll re-roll instead of canceling my sub... which is going to be very soon.

Leveling via PvP with the capped WZ XP Bonus Perk is more than viable. Best thing is the perk only costs something like 300K in total which is pretty cheap. Now I mix in class quests as well and an occasional Bonus Series, but leveling has been smooth sailing for my last two alts. Even easier if you mix in some Space Missions, which I personally can't stand. Pre-Legacy, that certainly wasn't the case.

The storylines in this game are pretty good and the Legacy class buff you get for completing Chapter Two is well worth doing the class quests. Considering that 90% of the PvP we do is in WZs, the class quests are a nice way for me to break up the monotony of instanced PvP.

To answer the OPs question. Levelling via PvP ALONE is not really viable. By that I don't mean you CAN'T hit 50 just pvping, but with queue times mixed with joining near completed matches and so forth, it will take considerably longer to hit 50, possibly to the extent of weeks, which you could otherwise could of dedicated to gearing yourself up in the 50 bracket. Oh and PvP levelling is only really viable during peak times, limiting when you can play. Questing on the other hand affords a. faster experience (several times faster) b. more money (at the minimum for a pvper you need a fair bit to augment your gear, and PvP doesn't really provide anywhere near enough to afford augmenting yourself up) and c. the ability to play whenever you want.

My advice would be to mix PvPing with questing. Doing class quest and the main world quests with a few extra thrown in here and there whilst your waiting for your queue to pop should generally be enough. If you've an avid PvPer then I would also recommend making sure you have the max 3.5k ranked warzone comms before you hit 50 as well as 2k wz comms.

My Commando was leveled primarily through war zones. Other than that, I did class quests. I bought the Legacy war zone experience boosts and geared him in a Legacy set and made new mods etc. every four or so levels. I already had most of the blue/purple recipes from leveling a Vanguard. Higher levels had to do research to get the DPS specific stuff.

Ya they totally nerfed exp for Everything after 1.3. I remember space missions granting a level.

Hell I even got a whole level once from talking to my companion in the damn ship!

I'd recommend the pvp warzone boost obviously, just like everyone else has suggested.

I que constantly and find I only have to do class quests. The exp gained from warzones compensates for not having to grind every nonsense quest that each planet provides.

It is very important that you gear up with the best spec specific stuff you can get. Also gear up yer companion with current level stuff. There are always blue prototype items that people are basically giving away on the trader. I usually ran the heroic(2) quests solo. They give the tokens you need for mods. The only crappy part is the loading in/out from planets to warzones...meh

Just last night I completed class quest at level 46. Heh, I'll be flaunting my "Darth" title tonight in lowbie warzones. (Heroic moments ftw).

All I did was class quests, warzones, and the easy to reach heroic(2)'s.

I'd mix it up with your class quests. A big percentage of my leveling was PVP and class quests. I also used my legacy perks to make it easier. I was consistently hitting the valor cap at each level which tells you how much I did along the way. If it was not for the PVP part of this game, I would have gotten bored. Edited by Mdgshorty

• 8 months later...

I currently made my Commando and got it to 33 now I just do PvP because I have 4/5 Legacy upgrades so on an average match I leave with 14-15 K XP which as far as I know is a little more that quests.

The average PvP match lasts 8-12 Minutes which is the same time you take to complete quests.

I plan to get my Commando to around 47-48 then carry on from my Balmorra class quests and get to 50 from those and the dailies I do.

The good thing about PVP is that it gives you Money as well and when your into the Forties you are leaving with at least 4 K per game so then once you want to carry on with your story you have plenty of money to buy gear or you Can trade your WZ coms for Planetary coms and get that type of gear.

Blah blah blah,

I know PVP players that don't even have ships.

Sure you can level faster playing the ****** PVE game. Or you can get in a warzone and play the best MMO PVP out there.

The latter will give you all the gear you need from the home planet PVP vendors, and will give you a huge head start on your conqueror and partisan gear when you hit 55.

Why are you in a rush to reach the max level?

But yes, it's definitely viable. Yes, it might take a bit longer - does that matter? I personally mix in a few single player quests (which are admittedly pretty tedious by this point) and FPs. Max XP perks + general XP boost + rested bonus and all it goes quite quickly. If you really want to do it in a concentrated period then wait until the double XP weekeneds.